PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming! Do you feel like your growth rate will slow down?

longforhim
August 18th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I was wondering if any of you here experience a slower growth rate in the fall/winter months? I guess I've not paid much attention to my hair to know if I do or not.
I do feel like I've had a growth spurt the last few months. I don't know if that's just summer growth or the new supplement I've been taking(I added MSM).
Is it even true that hair growes faster in summer than winter??

spidermom
August 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I know it will; I've kept records (in the past). My hair grows fastest summer and fall, slowest in winter, in-between in the spring.

Danaus plexippu
August 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I've never tracked my growth to know if it slows in the winter, but I do tend to really shed in during the winter months. Especially when the days are really short...I've heard that animals shed depending on the length of daylight. Wondering if it's the same for humans? After a wash, I'll have what looks like a small furry animal in the drain of my tub. :disgust:

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Winter!? Don't speak of the dreaded word! In my mind summer lasts forever! :cheese:

Its still hot and humid up here, and its been an extremely hot summer with lots of record breaking high temps here and across the eastern US. Cold weather is no where on my mind and I intend to keep it that way for at least a few more months to come.

KittyLost
August 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I hope not! In the past I tend to get a growth spurt towards the end of Winter. December-Janurary time, I claim it's due to the amount of vegetables I eat during christmas dinner ;)

Eden_Rayn
August 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I am waiting for the growth to speed up like it does every winter. However I worry about it this year since I moved to South California (lived in the northeast before). I wonder if my hair might think its still summer here.

CrisDee
August 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yup, for me the rate definitely slows down. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the temperature or humidity as it does with light - shorter days = less light = slower growth. Same reason the leaves on the trees start to turn color even if it stays warm. Oh well, the faster rate was nice while it lasted - I'm still hoping I can get it all into a ponytail by Christmas :)

In2wishin
August 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
It is actually hard to say: arouinf the holidays my hair seems a lot longer than it was in summer but I am pretty sure it is because the lower humidity makes it go straighter and flatter. I have never actually measured so we will see this year.

Chamomile betty
August 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure about growth but I begin to shed late winter/early spring. I think my hair has less shrinkage due to less humidity so it seems longer during the fall/winter months.

yellowchariot
August 18th, 2010, 12:34 PM
TBH, my summer was kinda horrible. So winter always gives me a fresh start of a new year! I always appreciate the snow! My hair will grow the same rate not matter the weather (I think :D), which is usually .75" per month.

GlennaGirl
August 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I am waiting for the growth to speed up like it does every winter. However I worry about it this year since I moved to South California (lived in the northeast before). I wonder if my hair might think its still summer here.

Hi! I'm a transplant too (New Jersey -> SoCal). My hair growth rate has always been about the same and it's stayed the same here.

However...you will notice (if you're planning on being here for a while) that after a couple of years, your body will start responding to the change in seasons even though they're nowhere near as dramatic as in the northeast. At first I swear I hardly noticed a difference between July and December...now, as soon as the temperature goes below 75, I REALLY notice it.

I'm pretty sure our bodies adjust to the climate changes we have where we are...so even if you don't get slowed/sped-up growth based on seasons your first couple of years in the southwest, you will likely find that change the next few years after that. You'll know your body is "adjusting" when you feel a really dramatic difference between 60 and 70 degrees (in winter). You'll find at 70, you feel pretty nice, but at 60, you're literally under a blanket in your living room, and/or pulling on a sweater.

bridgetsgirl
August 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I certainly hope not! My growth seems like it's stopped altogether since I've been in the Middle East, which is oppressively hot right now. But all through last winter in Vegas, my growth was averaging 5/8" a month. Here's hoping.

Rennire
August 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm still waiting for my summer growth spurt! I don't want to even think about winter yet!

FrannyG
August 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have noticed that I often see a lot of growth during winter. It seems that every time I have a spurt that takes me to a new milestone it is in the winter months. I don't seem to have a summer spurt. My hair grows rather steadily throughout the year, thank heaven.

Winter seems to be long enough without having a growth stall to deal with.

marikamt
August 18th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I seem to slow down a little from about end of November until maybe April or May.......

Nae
August 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Nope!! I laugh in the face of winter!! Ha, ha, ha, ha!!

Actually, I am just in denial. I think my hair growth does slow down a bit, I go into hibernation about January and no one sees me till 6 weeks after groundhogs day..............

Qwackie
August 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM
My hair actually grows faster in the Winter, Spring, and Fall then in the Summer. I went from APL to almost waist length from Fall to Spring last year.

RadiantNeedle
August 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I.. Have no idea if it changes at all! My hair seems to grow ridiculously fast all year round.

Jenn of Pence
August 18th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I haven't yet had a winter where I was paying close attention to hair growth rate. :p But it will be interesting to see; in my past experience in general I at least haven't noticed a stall or spurt.

Oh winter...how I do not look forward to thee.

kmoc123
August 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I actually have growth in the fall and spring.

jasper
August 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Summer is over when it stops being 300 degrees outside. Which won't be until December. That said, I thought my hair grew slower last winter, but I am not good at getting an accurate measurement month to month.  

Capybara
August 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I feel like my growth rate will slow down. I've never actually recorded any numbers, so I don't really know for sure, but it would make sense. I guess it's better for me to have low expectations - then, I won't feel bad if they are true, and I will be pleasantly surprised if they aren't. :)

christine1989
August 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
My growth rate is pretty consistant plus i'm on new medication that makes hair grow faster (everywhere!) so I don't anticipate a huge change.

Tabihito
August 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
"Winter" here is a bit of a joke. And we've still got a good two months of summer anyhow. But I don't think I should see much change in growth rate, or it could even potentially increase, since I'm more active during the winter rather than sitting inside in the lovely air-conditioning like I do all summer.

Luna12345
August 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I live in Montreal....We have super cold winters but I don't notice my hair growing any slower. I always need to cover my head during the freezing months with a hood or hat anyway, so I guess that probably protects the hair from drying out.

Phexlyn
August 19th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I'm more afraid of a seasonal shed than of slowing hairgrowth :( I shed a lot a year or so ago during all late summer/autumn. So far, my hair's doing fine and I hope it stays that way. I won't mind slower growth (which has happened before during winter time), but I don't have a length goal anyway, I'm just thickening up the hemline.