PDA

View Full Version : WOW, a satin pillowcase makes a difference!

goldenoak
August 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'd sort of wondered if satin pillowcases were worth the hype they get. I found some at Bed Bath & Beyond the other day for $3.99 apiece and figured it'd be worth a shot. I tried one for the first time last night, and am stunned at the difference.

I've used cotton pillowcases my whole life, and morning-frizz has always been a fact of life, even though I wear my hair up when I sleep. When I woke up this morning, my hair was pretty much exactly where I'd left it. A little short piece had slipped out, but was smoothly tucked behind my ear rather than, you know, horizontally poofed out from my head.

Wearable second-day curly hair has always seemed out of reach for me, because my hair has always been kind of a frizz in the morning. I decided to try spritzing with a water/aloe/essential oils mix this morning to see if I could wear my hair without washing it today. It looks respectable - a little frizzier than same-day-wash, but probably I'm the only one who would notice the difference.

I know washing every day is a habit that would be good to break, so I'm happy to be able to experiment with second-day hair. A question, though - I'm showered and clean, but I psychologically feel sort of grubby, as if I'm on a camping trip or something. Most likely this is something that will fade with time and repetition, but I'm curious if anyone else ever has the same feeling on days that they don't wash their hair?

So, good thing #1: possible reduction in nighttime breakage. Good thing #2: possible reduction in washings. I'd say that was $4 well spent! :cheese:

apynip
August 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hmm..... -looks at her fabric trunk that has a yard of satin in it- :hmm:

mariika
August 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM
no way! I should definitely try this!!!

wait. I don't sleep on pillows. okay, I need a sheet then.

goldenoak
August 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Hmm..... -looks at her fabric trunk that has a yard of satin in it- :hmm:

... and if you have a fabric trunk, you probably have a sewing machine, in which case making a pillowcase would take what, five or six minutes? :D

I remember seeing a link somewhere to inexpensive ($11ish) silk pillowcases that were sold as blanks for silk painting. I've been trying to remember where I saw the link, because I think that'd be a fun pillowcase craft, too!

wait. I don't sleep on pillows. okay, I need a sheet then.

I admit, I'd always sort of thought of satin sheets as froofy, but the satin pillowcase felt really nice to sleep on, and I was thinking this morning that satin sheets would feel luxurious too. So I say go for it! :)

apynip
August 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
granted of corse i;m moving to college tomorrow morning so it'll have to be postponed for a day or two but deffinatly on my list of projects.

painting silk would be very relaxing and super fun at teh same time. I have several robes that were either hand painted,dyed, or embroidred and its so pretty but obviously very time consuming.

Joliebaby
August 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
But.. but.. I LOVE my linen pillowcases!! *pout*

No seriously, I've thought about sewing silk pillowcases before. Just never did. And now I have linen :D

goldenoak
August 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
granted of corse i;m moving to college tomorrow morning so it'll have to be postponed for a day or two but deffinatly on my list of projects.

painting silk would be very relaxing and super fun at teh same time. I have several robes that were either hand painted,dyed, or embroidred and its so pretty but obviously very time consuming.

Good luck with the move! :flower:

I've always loved painted silk as well. I know some folks who do it, and they assure me it can become an expensive addiction, but I'm sure it would be safe to try... I could stop any time I wanted, right? *cough*

I found the site that sells the supplies: it's Dharma Trading Company. Here's the current link to the pillowcases: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml

Inexpensive silk dye for beginners: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5590684-AA.shtml. (They also carry professional dye, but those require soda ash fixative, and that's more than I care to get into in my kitchen!)

heynormy
August 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Looks like I need to go find a satin pillowcase!!

Gumball
August 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
All my pillowcases are satin and hair friendly. I love waking up and being much less fluffy than I would be if I used a regular old cotton pillowcase. Good luck with seeing how second day hair works, and yay for pillowcase success!

MandaMom2Three
August 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have lots of satin in my fabric stash, just gotta get the gumption to SEW a pillowcase (or I could cheat and just wrap it around the pillow :roleyes: )

Crackaleen
August 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've been hearing how much better silk/satin pillowcases are for your hair, but I've still been reluctant to buy one. I guess I'm one of the few people who just doesn't like the material. I decided to compromise by buying a cheapo silk scarf and wrapping my hair in that, but I can't get the damn thing to stay on my head. I always wake up in the morning to find that the scarf has somehow migrated down to the foot of the bed. :laugh:

Medievalmaniac
August 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Tip for dealing with the psychological block viewing second-day hair as "grubby" - which I also had when I first started to not wash daily - put a little oil in it, finger-comb, and that helps because you feel like you "did something" to deal with the "dirtiness". If it looks a bit greasy after that, then instead of wearing it down, put it up. Tell yourself you are deep-condition treating it and your hair will be softer and more beautiful after this. It took me about two weeks or so to get from "I hope no one can smell my hair" to "whoopie! I don't have to wash my hair today!" I'm now on one or two washes a week and I LOVE it. :)

Deelight
August 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I bought a satin pillowcase at Bed, Bath & Beyond recently too, but when I opened the package the material seemed really stiff and almost scratchy. I was thinking about returning it. Do you think it might get softer with washing?

My other satin pillowcase feels much more "slippery" but I can't remember where or how long ago I got it.

RadiantNeedle
August 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I have some beautiful black satin pillowcases, but.. I can't sleep on them! I think I'm addicted to super soft cotton. Satin feels weird on my skin and I can't fall asleep! Mind you, I have a long history of bad insomnia >.>
Ah well, I'll pull my pillowcases out and have a try. Better not use the silver ones when I've stuck oils in my hair, huh?

goldenoak
August 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the second-day-hair advice, medievalmaniac!

And deelight - when I got mine at BBB it was kind of stiff too. I tossed it in the laundry yesterday afternoon, and after one machine wash/dry cycle it was definitely softer. My pillow looks like a silver screen siren's dress now, all glowy and sleek. :D I think it'll probably continue to soften with use and washings.

This (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14181687&RN=36&KSKU=109096) is the one I got, in off-white.

luxepiggy
August 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
. . . and suddenly it becomes clear why my hair is always a pigtastrophe in the morning when I sleep over at the SO's house (>(oo)<)`

goldenoak
August 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Second night, still thrilled. Gotta get me some more of these.

Now I'm wondering about winter hats (I know, jumping the gun since it's only August...). I hate wearing hats because they frizz up my curls and my hair looks like I just slept on it for the rest of the day. But I live in New England, so I just wear the hats and deal. I wonder if wearing a satin or silk scarf alone or under a hat could be the answer? :cheese:

zule
August 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
You'll definitely get accustomed to washing it less frequently. I can't tell you how long it took me, but it wasn't too long--like a month or two.

little_cherry
August 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Make sure it is silk satin and not polyester satin...polyester= sweaty face.

goldenoak
August 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Following up on this earlier thought:

Now I'm wondering about winter hats (I know, jumping the gun since it's only August...). I hate wearing hats because they frizz up my curls and my hair looks like I just slept on it for the rest of the day. But I live in New England, so I just wear the hats and deal. I wonder if wearing a satin or silk scarf alone or under a hat could be the answer?

A friend just pointed me at these satin caps (http://www.middleeasternmall.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=bonnet+satin&x=0&y=0) that are designed to keep hair neat under a hijab headscarf. Maybe these could be the solution to my winter-hat woe! Anyway, I just wanted to pass the link along in case anyone found it helpful against the tanglies. :)

ETA: They also have these really beautiful (http://www.middleeasternmall.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=stylish+mona&x=0&y=0) silky one-piece head-coverings.

Tabihito
August 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I... may have to try that. My current pillowcase is (I just checked) made of polyester, though it feels super soft and fuzzy, almost like fleece. Feels great against my skin, but I somehow doubt it's doing anything for the state of my morning bedhead.

Does anyone know if satin pillowcases are of any benefit for those who go to bed with wet hair? I shower in the evenings, usually every day and only very rarely skipping a day, so my hair's almost always wet when I go to sleep. I've recently started sleeping with braids in, but the top of my hair still frizzes up a bit, which is a pain.

triumphator!
August 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Wow!! I need to get one of these, this sounds like it could help me a lot!

LoversLullaby
August 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I don't have a satin pillowcase, but I do wear a satin cap to bed and I agree, major difference! My hair is barely moved from my two sleep French braids while when I sleep without it half my hair falls out of the braids and gets tangled. Since I sleep by myself, the cap was cheaper than the pillowcase. :)

christine1989
August 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm going to have to buy one myself now! I sleep with my hair down on a regular pillow case so it is frizz central every morning.

irishlady
August 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Second night, still thrilled. Gotta get me some more of these.

Now I'm wondering about winter hats (I know, jumping the gun since it's only August...). I hate wearing hats because they frizz up my curls and my hair looks like I just slept on it for the rest of the day. But I live in New England, so I just wear the hats and deal. I wonder if wearing a satin or silk scarf alone or under a hat could be the answer? :cheese:
you could always sew satin or silk into the inside of the hat as a lining! :)

HintOfMint
August 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM
I... may have to try that. My current pillowcase is (I just checked) made of polyester, though it feels super soft and fuzzy, almost like fleece. Feels great against my skin, but I somehow doubt it's doing anything for the state of my morning bedhead.

Does anyone know if satin pillowcases are of any benefit for those who go to bed with wet hair? I shower in the evenings, usually every day and only very rarely skipping a day, so my hair's almost always wet when I go to sleep. I've recently started sleeping with braids in, but the top of my hair still frizzes up a bit, which is a pain.

I have gone to bed with wet hair on a satin pillowcase and the results were much better than if I had gone to bed with a cotton one and wet hair. Less frizz and an overall smoother finish.

Barniie
August 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
I ADORE my satin pillow - it just feels so. nice.

I even bring it to friend's houses when I stay the night :)

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
and I was thinking this morning that satin sheets would feel luxurious too. So I say go for it!
yeah, I love luxury :D

so. GUYS, yesterday I just felt like taking my satin kerchief I have and putting my wet hair on it (I washed my hair just before bed). and today morning my mum is all over me - what did I do to my hair and why is it so shiny! she thought I bought some new product or smth. so WOW it WORKS

Fiordiligi
August 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
Does anyone know where you can get satin pillowcases in the UK? John Lewis has silk ones, but at 25 it seems a bit steep.

goldenoak
August 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know where you can get satin pillowcases in the UK? John Lewis has silk ones, but at 25 it seems a bit steep.

I don't know what international shipping would cost, but the poly satin ones at bedbathandbeyond.com would be about 2.5, so you could buy 10 for that price!

Hopefully someone knows of an easy local spot for you to find them so you can skip shipping though. Do you have any "big box" home goods chains?

MandyBeth
August 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
My hair has a request for silk sheets. I flip my hair over the pillow and it's so nice. But hair was on cotton sheets and yipes! It's the shed, ick!

Djinmonet
August 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
So now the human females in this house are sliding off their pillows..lol Well actually, I'm not having any trouble, nor are the cats, but the other two keep asking how you are supposed to keep your head on the pillowcase...

I'm noticing much less breakage around my face, with almost no tangles of small hairs around the neck. *shock* I don't think I'm going to have matching pillowcases, to the bed sheets, ever again. :D I love mine! I'm using silk ones, from Dharma Trading.

missfortune9335
August 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I love my satin pillowcase, I'll never go without now. It's great for your skin too, it doesn't leave those "sleep lines' on your face, that now I'm in my early 30's suddenly don't go away for very long periods of time otherwise! *grumble*

Liluri
August 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I take my satin pillowcases on travels with me :) I love my satin pillowcase

Djinmonet
August 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Took my silk pillowcase right into my vehicle, and over the head rest. :o Ahhh. Finally can lean my head back. Probably looks all kinds of silly, but I was driving in the dark, so maybe no one saw anything..lol

HuggyBear
August 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I love my satin pillowcase, too. It also doesn't hurt that Johnny Depp's face is on it either. :D

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have a satin pillowcase that I quit using as I would wake up in the night with horrible ear pain, I think it's too slide-y and my ear was getting mushed somehow. It really freaking HURT!

goldenoak
August 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM
I love my satin pillowcase, too. It also doesn't hurt that Johnny Depp's face is on it either. :D

Win!! :D Where'd you get that?

HuggyBear
August 31st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Win!! :D Where'd you get that?

A friend of mine gave it to me a few years ago because she knew I was a HUGE Johnny Depp fan. Don't know where she got it but it is oh so fine. Even my 15 month old daughter loves to snuggle Johnny. She smiles really big whenever she sees his face. :D

mellie89
August 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I got a satin sheet set for my new apartment. I had to ditch the flat sheet because it made my comforter slide around like crazy and it was ridiculously annoying and not conducive to relaxing, comfortable sleep.

That said, I am loving the pillowcases. I went to bed with wet hair last night and instead of waking up to frizz and kinks and general weirdness, my hair was so smooth! It was wonderful.

ArienEllariel
August 31st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Took my silk pillowcase right into my vehicle, and over the head rest. :o Ahhh. Finally can lean my head back. Probably looks all kinds of silly, but I was driving in the dark, so maybe no one saw anything..lol

hmmm you just gave me an amazing idea... I may just have to make satin or silk covers for my car's headrests. :P Somehow considering the very ungirly look of my car I think it would look quite silly but hey, if it allows me to actually lean my head back while driving..

x0h_bother
August 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I love my satin one. I just have one and it's black. Doesn't match my sheets at all but it's oh so comfy. I am a bottom-edge-of-the-pillow sleeper, and it still helps.

In2wishin
September 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I am bumping this thread because I am now totally convinced!

I have been sleeping on a silk charmeuse pillowcase for a few months now. Sunday I had to go up to my Mom's for a few days to help out after surgery and I slept on a plain cotton pillowcase. I usually braid my hair to sleep and when I woke up at mom's some of my hair had pulled out of the braid and it looked really messy which doesn't happen with the satin. I am definitely adding a pillocase to my "stuff I always pack" list.

Chestershire
September 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'll keep it in mind when I go to college, next year. I never really considerated it, because I didn't think it would make that kind of difference. But you convinced me :)

angelfell
September 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
My momma says never to get satin sheets because if you jump on your bed you'll just slide right off the other side :x.

Regardless, I want them. <3 And if it's good for the hair, I'm all for it.

Shellby
September 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for bumping. I had not seen this one yet. I have only slept on a satin pillowcase since I was 16. I am *ahem* over 40 so that is a long time. I began using it because it is good for your skin. Helps with facial wrinkles. Yes I know I started worrying about that early. :D I never thought about how it helped my hair. Good to know it is good for my hair, too. I have always been able to sleep on my braids and it looks good in the morning. I just thought I was a great braider. :)

pepperminttea
September 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM

I got two from eBay, for about 20 for the pair. Admittedly, I didn't check John Lewis or any high street stores (leaving the house to shop? Pfft :p).

Really does make the world of difference though. Whenever I travel or go somewhere when I know I'm spending the night, I take one with me now. I still get a few sleep braid-escapees, but so much less - and my hair doesn't mat in my sleep now like it did on cotton. That said, it took me a while to adjust; I'd slept on cotton sheets/pillows/everything for as long as I can remember, and the slip factor was difficult to get used to. I'm definitely not going to go out and buy silk sheets or duvet covers, but the pillowcases make enough of a difference that I'll put up with difficulties. :)

princessp
September 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
hmmm you just gave me an amazing idea... I may just have to make satin or silk covers for my car's headrests. :P Somehow considering the very ungirly look of my car I think it would look quite silly but hey, if it allows me to actually lean my head back while driving..

I love this idea! I also adore my silk pillowcase and highly recommend.

In2wishin
September 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fiordiligi

I can't give you any specific places but I bought silk charmeuse fabric off of Ebay and made my own. Perhaps you can find a UK seller that way or at a fabric store. Also, http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing_silk.html has plain white (dyable) for 6.62 GBP (as of today's currency converter) and do ship worldwide.

angelthadiva
September 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I had been wondering if switching from my cotton to satin would make much of a difference, so I had our very own LisaJaney make me some. She makes feminine products too for those who don't know. I had her make one for me and one for DD8 and we sleep on this pillowcase faithfully. What I have noticed for me, is that I have more outgrowth in my hairline. Which has left me with little halo hairs, but that's okay. I think before using the cotton pillowcases I was causing a lot of breakage. :shrug: This is the only change I've really made to my "routine" therefore I feel pretty confident saying using the satin pillowcases have helped.

sparkle'n'bling
September 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've been using a satin pillowcase for several weeks now. It hasn't made much difference to how mussed my hair gets overnight, but it has made a huge difference to how easy it is to brush out in the morning - the brush just slides through. So I'm shedding less, which is always good. And I like the smoothness of it, also it's cool to the touch, unlike cotton.

Infinity
December 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I made pillow cases out of silk...that's what I had in the house. Is silk as good as satin? I'm not seeing any change yet (it's barely a month). I think it's because I sleep in a hat (it's freezing this time of year!). Should it be pointed out, if I am correct, that a silk/satin pillowcase will only work if you don't have a wooly or other kind of hat on?

BeccaAngel
December 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I know washing every day is a habit that would be good to break, so I'm happy to be able to experiment with second-day hair. A question, though - I'm showered and clean, but I psychologically feel sort of grubby, as if I'm on a camping trip or something. Most likely this is something that will fade with time and repetition, but I'm curious if anyone else ever has the same feeling on days that they don't wash their hair?

So, good thing #1: possible reduction in nighttime breakage. Good thing #2: possible reduction in washings. I'd say that was $4 well spent! :cheese:

You might feel less clean when you get started with this, but you will get use to it. i been washing my hair every other day for years and when its longer its every couple of days. its actually better to not wash every day, lets your natural oils in your hair.

rena
December 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
The whole washing everything but the hair thing is a bit hard to deal with, especially in the summertime eeeeesh. Its like you shouldn't wash everyday becuase its not the best thing to do the curlier you are, but you just feel you muuuuuuuust if you're gonna feel right you know? I think the only way around the dryness is to CO wash in such situations if it gets too overwhelming. That way you get clean and don't have to suffer dire consequences.

MissMB
December 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks a TON for the review of sorts on the satin pillowcase tip! I am totally going to BB&B soon.. :D

-Em

In2wishin
December 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I made pillow cases out of silk...that's what I had in the house. Is silk as good as satin? I'm not seeing any change yet (it's barely a month). I think it's because I sleep in a hat (it's freezing this time of year!). Should it be pointed out, if I am correct, that a silk/satin pillowcase will only work if you don't have a wooly or other kind of hat on?

It depends on the weave. Silk satin or silk charmeuse are the best. The silk breathes and the texture of the fabric allows your hair to slide without getting static. Silk made into a course or slubbed weave will not help much because it isn't slippery. Satin woven from a man-made fabric like polyester or acetate will slip but won't breathe so it will feel cold in winter and hot in summer.

bluesnowflake
December 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Congrats! I've got a silk cap but it's really hot. I should probably get a pillowcase. At first I felt kind of icky when I started washing every other day, but now my hair feels better second-day. If I go longer than that, though, I do feel greasy and icky. I think it's a matter of letting your body get used to it.

milagro
December 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I love my satin pillowcases but if I go sleep with wet or even damp hair I change to a cotton one, otherwise I'll wake up with half hair still wet and it feels cold! Good in summer, though.

fairy_ends_girl
December 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I would like to try a satin pillowcase too! I just tried a satin sleep bonnet but it is so uncomfy to sleep in.

little_cherry
December 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Don't forget that silk is the material and satin is the weave...It's polyester you should 'watch out' for since it doesn't breathe and is synthetic. So, you can have silk satin and polyester satin. I prefer silk.

Tia2010
December 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I love my silk pillow cases !! I always woke up with tangles ( i sleep with my hair loose) but now my hair is smooth and almost completely tangle free in the morning . I love it !

Armelle
December 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hmm... I wonder if I could get satin pillowcases to cover my office chairs. That's where I think most of my damage is coming from.

Sophiawavyhair
December 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I keep losing mine while sleeping! Its so slippery! Lol ... No big difference for me either.. Hmmm :-/

Karmi
December 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I've used silk pillowcases for several years and really like them! They are not too slippy and feel really nice and soft, plus they reduce frizz, less breakage if any, and seem to maintain oils much better.

patienceneeded
December 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I just got a satin pillowcase last week, it has really helped calm down the morning puffy-hair. I sometimes feel like my head is sliding off though! I slept on it with wet hair last night and this morning my hair was super-smooth. Loving it!

Messyhair
December 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I always use a satin pillowcase so I don't notice anything special until I use a non-satin pillowcase - ugh! I wake up with so many tangles!!! It feels like I've damaged my hair so much in just one night when I use a regular pillowcase. That only happens when I go visiting, so I think packing a satin pillowcase is a must.

The strange thing is, I don't remember it being this bad last time I grew out my hair. Maybe using silicone-free products is the difference, because I've been doing that in recent months.

MilknHoney
December 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Just got a couple silk pillowcases on Ebay... wish I'd thought of making some (doh!) but I love the idea of making a cover for my headrest in the car! The pillow cases are divine, I may have to cover my world in silk :)