PDA

View Full Version : how to make curly hair wavy?

mariika
August 18th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I am looking for ways to make curly hair look wavy - anyone? thanks!

kristymarie87
August 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I guess you could use some heavy products that will weight your hair down stretching the curls into waves. Or just do quite thick braids on wet hair and open them when damp and apply product?

masa_inn
August 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Bun your hair while it's still wet.
Fingercombing right after I wash my hair also works pretty well.

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
There is a product called Kinky Curly Curling Custard that weighs hair down and stretches out curls really well. You can get it at the naturally curly website. It is usually used in combination with Kinky Curly Knot Today which is a super detangling leave-in.

mariika
August 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
kristymarie87, unfortunately product makes my hair look ugly and is won't weight down the hair actually, it's still curly. after braids my hair is still very curly plus it gets frizzy on top (for god knows what reason). but thanks
masa_inn, tried bunning - took forever to dry so I didn't have patience to wait long enough. probably will try again. then again, makes my hair frizzy on top. finger combing - right, nice trick, tried that one and was so happy seeing my hair drying quite nicely in cute waves. the minute it was dry my hair was curly. thanks for reminding me about bunning
Curlsgirl, okay now this is better. although I used to try products like this one and they didn't work. anyways, thanks I'll read into this.

virgo75
August 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Your hair sounds a bit like mine - when I pull it taut it frizzes at the roots.

If you can do 2 dutch braids(I think that's what they're called? Like French braids, but 2?) that seems to help my fuzzy roots. As does camellia oil. I don't have the special salon kind, I purchased mine from an Asian Supermarket, but that seems to straighten out my hair quite a bit and it isn't producty.

I've also found that using less to no cones makes my roots frizz less.
SMTs followed by camellia oil and then putting hair into braids or buns makes my hair almost straight.

Another thing that reduces fuzz at the root is aloe vera gel mixed with olive oil - just a drop of each. My hair is fine and gets gunky easy.

Hope that helps. :flower:

mariika
August 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
virgo75, wow thanks! my hair is very fine too, now I have to go read about camellia oil and aloe vera gel mixed with olive oil and maybe have a trip to my local pharmacy

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Air drying it curly and then putting up in a bun before bed pulls out some of the curl for me. The important thing is to not comb it and keep it fairly moisturized (I use coconut oil after washing and shea butter before bunning for sleep). If you're thinking that you'll be able to have comb-able or brush-able not frizzy wavy hair without heatstyling, forget it, it's a losing battle. Trust me, I've been there.

GlassEyes
August 18th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Curlsgirl, okay now this is better. although I used to try products like this one and they didn't work. anyways, thanks I'll read into this.
See, the thing is--not all products are created the same or similar. Differing ingredients make it thus.

I'd recommened you take a look around naturallycurly.com for advice. KCCC definitely pulls out and lengthens curl--it leave crunch, but if you go there, you should be able to figure out how to get rid of it, i.e., scrunching. It's a simple technique that anyone with curly hair should probably learn.

Though, I must admit, I always have more luck/find it more attractive when people work with their curl-type instead of against it. Sometimes the results of fighting it can be completely revolting, to be perfectly honest. There are other things you could try--braiding with gel in, for example, but it might come out stringy. If that isn't a problem for you, however, feel free to try it. :D

...also, if your profile picture is accurate as far as your hairtype...I'd say you are a wavy, and on the lower end of the scale. Have you posted a hairtyping photo?

virgo75
August 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I forgot to add that tying my hair down with a scarf when it's mostly dry will also bring down the poofy halo. When it's all the way dry it doesn't seem to come back as bad.

Edited because I keep remembering things - I'm not sure what products you have there or if you use cones, but another thing that helped was L'Oreal's Smooth Vive line followed by their serum. With that I could actually brush my hair and it wouldn't poof too bad. I would dry it the same way as above - in braids or 2 buns(like Princess Leia but nowhere near as big :p ), sometimes with a scarf on top. My hair would be pretty silky. Don't know why I don't do that as much anymore? :ponder:

CurlAhead
August 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/vrrj8x.png

When my hair is wet, I comb it back so it lays flat on my head. Then I do a low ponytail and keep doing as the picture shows, and then I go to bed, often with something on my head. And when I wake up, it is not supercurly.

Soon I am going to try make 2 of these.. "ponytails", so that I have one on each side.. To see how it effects my hair.

mariika
August 18th, 2010, 08:15 AM
If you're thinking that you'll be able to have comb-able or brush-able not frizzy wavy hair without heatstyling, forget it, it's a losing battle. Trust me, I've been there.
Heidi_234, no, I don't want my hair to be comb-able or brush-able I want it to LOOK like wavy hair. yeah, maybe I need to drop my braiding to bed routine and trying bunning, thanks!

if your profile picture is accurate as far as your hairtype...I'd say you are a wavy, and on the lower end of the scale. Have you posted a hairtyping photo?
GlassEyes, it's only a picture. the picture I like. that's my hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745 - and trust me, it's really curly.

lapushka
August 19th, 2010, 11:09 AM
GlassEyes, it's only a picture. the picture I like. that's my hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745 - and trust me, it's really curly.

Those are gorgeous curls!

I agree with what's been said by GlassEyes. Nothing in the world will succesfully change your hair texture, except chemical processes or constant heat styling, so you might as well learn to love and care for what you've got. Do read up on the curly girl method and definitely check out the forum at naturallycurly.com. Once you "get" your hair and discover the right products for it, it'll be a revelation. By the picture in that thread, you seem to have discovered a great way to care for your curls already. It's a great start!

PeonyGarden
August 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hmm.. I've seen a video for that, just let me look...

Ah, here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_uoxtZu-I

Give it a try? It worked for me, on 3b/3c hair. Let us know how it turns out, whatever you do!

Djinmonet
August 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I know someone with hair that looks to be your twin, both in your avatar and the normal pic, on your lemon juice thread. While the bunning, etc, sometimes helps with the frizzies, nothing but bsl length and longer seems to work for pulling the curls down to waves.

As in, she has to wait FOREVER for waves, because her hair has to go around in each curl before any actual length shows.

suicides_eve
August 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
My hair looses it's curl after few days of WO and turns to waves.. Pictures are in my hair albums..

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Damp bunning works wonders. Also try drying your hair twisted in a claw clip- it gives me really big defined waves.

carloota
August 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/vrrj8x.png

When my hair is wet, I comb it back so it lays flat on my head. Then I do a low ponytail and keep doing as the picture shows, and then I go to bed, often with something on my head. And when I wake up, it is not supercurly.

Soon I am going to try make 2 of these.. "ponytails", so that I have one on each side.. To see how it effects my hair.

This is called "Banding" and it works for loosening up the curls. Whenever I band my hair, I don't need to use as much products and I get really loose waves.

Quixii
August 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Brush it out when dry and braid it. Braiding it afterwards reinforces waves and tames some of the frizz brushing causes.
It's not a look I much like for myself, but I like my curls.

growingmyhair
August 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Ah, here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_uoxtZu-I

Give it a try? It worked for me, on 3b/3c hair. Let us know how it turns out, whatever you do!
this looks nice, I might try this sometime soon

My hair looses it's curl after few days of WO and turns to waves.. Pictures are in my hair albums..
my hair gets less curly after I apply oil (I use burdock)

today I oiled my hair after it air dried (I usually oil before washing) and then I divided my hair is parts and made ropes of them - like for the rope braid but I didn't make the braid, just left the parts like it and when they loosened I twisted them again and this seems to take out some curl