PDA

View Full Version : Losing my hair and need some advice

nellreno
August 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Recently, like in the past couple months, I've been losing a lot more hair than normal. I gently comb my hair and lose about 140 strands each time (and yes, I've counted them). Washing my hair makes me lose even more. They're not being pulled out or broken off, I can just gently run my fingers through my hair and hair will fall out.

I first thought that I was going through a big shed, but I've lost an inch of ponytail circumference and it looks like it's not stopping any time soon. Does anyone have any advice on stopping the shedding?

I do have a thyroid problem, but I'm on medication for it and my bloodwork is normal. I've had to stop using sulfates, as they irritated my scalp, so now I've been using shampoo bars and I've been co-washing. This has never given me and trouble before but is it possible that this is what's causing the hair loss now? I'm thinking about shelling out the money for Mega Tek rebuilder, has anyone had any luck using that? Would Rogaine be a better choice?

missfortune9335
August 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, I'm sorry :( Honestly if I were you, I'd be headed back to the doctor to be sure your thyroid meds are the right dose and to double check that there's nothing else wrong. Hair loss like that just smacks of a health problem. Best of luck to you!

nellreno
August 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Missfortune: Well my normal endo was the one who did the bloodwork when I first started shedding a lot. Maybe I should get a second opinion.

Cleopatra18
August 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
why dont you try tea rinses or something? I heard they work miracles.

SurprisingWoman
August 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have had a lot of blood tests done and my doctor will tell me in many instances that my levels are "normal." I finally started asking for numbers and doing my own research.

It turns out that yes, my numbers are normal, my hormones are decreasing and the fact that I am going through some major hot flashes are normal.

I am NOT going to take hormones. I am happy to deal with "normal" hormone fluctuations. My doctor and I are in complete agreement. That being said, I would probably get my own numbers and see if I agree with my doctor on what is normal and what isn't FOR ME.

We are our own first line of defense.

Good luck.

christine1989
August 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you haven't tried it already then you should try biotin (it reduces my shedding drastically!) You should also get a very thurough blood test to check all of your mineral levels- iron defficiency is a very common case of hair loss and is hard to identify without a blood test. I had a huge iron defficency and once I started taking an iron suppliment my hair returned to a healthy state within a month.

Kathie
August 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have heard that some people shed a lot with CO washing. Some peoples scalps just don't like conditioner....
Heres a link to a thread...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53961&highlight=Conditioner+shedding

Theres also some info in this large thread that may be helpful

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15730&highlight=Conditioner+shedding

I second taking Biotin. I was taking it for 3 or so months and stopped for a month and I really did notice an increase in shedding. I just started taking it again.

nellreno
August 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have been taking Biotin for a while now, there hasn't been a change yet.

I had my iron levels checked, twice actually, and I don't have an iron deficiency.

About the CO washing: I've been doing that and using shampoo bars for a long time now, and haven't had an issue with shedding. Do you think it would take that long to affect my scalp (if that's the problem)? Perhaps I should go back to using commercial shampoos, though that tends to make my scalp feel worse.

Kathie
August 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I don't know about the time period between using a product and having adverse effects like shedding... I was actually wondering this myself :shrug: I agree going back to the doctors sounds like a good idea. I would be at the doctors every week until it stopped!

On a strange side note... your thread is the 3rd thread today I've seen on people shedding more the usual... could it be a seasonal thing :confused:

jera
August 18th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Are you on BCP or have you just come off it? It sounds like it could be your hormones.

nellreno
August 18th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Jera: You mean birth control? I've been on the same pill for a year now, is it possible that I'm reacting to it differently?

Purdy Bear
August 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
The thyroid can have effects on shedding, but your medication should have sorted that one out.

For the menopause they say eating more soya products helps, although Iv not tried it myself.

If its other hormonal hair loss there are a lot of products that are said to help especially for that, so I would have a word with your Pharmacist/Chemist to see if any are suitable for you.

Regaine is very expensive (for me anyhow) and you need to use it every day over months. One women I heard of used it for about 10 years before it had any effect on her.

Massageing the scalp, and also using hot flannel compresses (like you would for a sprain) worked for me. Lots of proteins, diary, vitamin C foods and Biotin foods are vital.

The average daily loss is 50-100 so yours is above average. It takes about 6 months for any shock/stress to effect the hair, so you need to look back to that time period.

If it doesnt sort itself out, I would ask your Dr to send you to see a Dermatologist, as they maybe able to sort it for you.