PDA

View Full Version : Shower Style

restourceful
August 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm curious about everyone's shower style. If I'm wearing my sleep pineapple or my bun for the day, as long as it's up with a water safe toy, I just jump in and don't worry about the wispies. If it's in a braid or something mostly down I grab some claw clips and stick it all on top of my head. What is your way of pinning, clipping, covering or otherwise keeping your hair from getting wet in the bath or shower on days you don't wash your hair?

embee
August 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I put my hair in my top-of-the-head topknot and cover that with a doubled showercap.... well, it's one of those clear plastic hairdresser caps. I use a plastic chopstick (cut down) to hold the topknot.

pepperminttea
August 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm usually still in my sleep braid, so I clip that up with the first thing to hand and let the wispies get a bit damp.

ghost
August 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I just stick my hair in a bun most of the time. If it does get a little bit wet, a quick pat with a towel usually gets it completely dry again.

LunarAurora
August 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I make a simple and ugly high bun with a hairstick :)

Gumball
August 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
If it's wash day my shower style is letting it loose! :p If it's not a wash day it's usually a Nautilus bun made out of my sleep braid. It keeps it off of my neck and back, so I can fully enjoy steaming, hot water.

cmnt831
August 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I clip my hair up somehow or make a bun with a hairstick.

Capybara
August 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I have a wonderful fabric and plastic shower cap that I use :) It's great because I can throw my hair up in a topknot without securing it, and put he shower cap over. Or, I tuck my braid into the cap.

zen_oven
August 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Scrunchie with my ponytail only pulled through halfway. If I'm conditioning it winds up twisted up and secured with a claw clip to keep the conditioner in until I'm ready to rinse.

Kelli Kat
August 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I put it on top of my head with either a claw clip or a scrunchie

becker
August 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
My hair is only shoulder length so a high, half through pony tail works for me right now.

Pumpkin
August 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I just twist my hair up and clamp with a claw clip...works just fine.

Chestershire
August 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I just let my hair down. It's too short for any water to come near :D

virgo75
August 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM
When I'm not washing it I put it up in a ponytail and/or wrap a towel around it.

Pierre
August 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
My hair is usually up (with ends hanging to shoulders), so I just keep it up. If it's down, it's usually because I just washed it, or because I just rinsed the henna off. Usually I alternate showers with washing the hair with showers without washing the hair. At least in summer.

lsnyder09
August 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
tell me if this is terrible for the health of my hair, but I rubberband it in a bun on the top/back of my head. It is a thick hair band, but I am afraid it may cause damage. Not too sure though

kittensoupnrice
August 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I high-bun w/ a couple of bent aluminum knitting needle forks.
I just let the wispies get wet, and I don't care if the knitting needles get wet.

Kathie
August 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
A tucked pony tail, I then cover everything with a shower cap... I get annoyed when the wispy bits of hair get wet. A shower cap also means I can dive in under the water and not worry.

Yozhik
August 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
tell me if this is terrible for the health of my hair, but I rubberband it in a bun on the top/back of my head. It is a thick hair band, but I am afraid it may cause damage. Not too sure though

If by rubber band you mean hair elastic, then as long as it's fabric covered and without those metal clasp thingies, it should be relatively safe, as long as you don't secure it too tightly or wear the bun at the same level or in the same updo all the time :flower: I actually use hair elastics fairly frequently, myself :o

For my own shower routine -- I usually put my hair in a high bun with my shower cap over it -- makes me look like a conehead (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/0301-coneheads-hair-beehive_bd.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2010/03/nomination-for-the-wtf-hairsty.html&usg=__0acruTt_2Kvw8fORGJXqcQEaZnY=&h=325&w=400&sz=32&hl=en&start=9&sig2=NChfKKMLLzyIaPZqJIUckw&tbnid=45c6vjvZTnKtgM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=150&ei=YkprTNDsAYL7lwe0upBn&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgirl%2Bconehead%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D572%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C342&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=390&vpy=216&dur=5091&hovh=202&hovw=249&tx=225&ty=143&oei=QEprTOHjMcP58AaNiLXLAQ&esq=7&page=2&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:9&biw=1024&bih=572)!

Flossy
August 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM
In a perfect world I would just twist it around and secure with a soft hair elastic then pop on my shower cap, but I've been using it for treatments and haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet. So it just gets twisted up high and a little damp.

Jezerellica
August 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I clip mine up with a claw and use an adorable shower cap over the top. That seems to keep it from getting frizzy from humidity.

I REALLY loved the old fashoned shower caps my Mom had. They were all puffy with a trim on them that was just so cute! I guess they were big to fit over those large curlers they used to use.

RachelRain
August 17th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I usually let it down. Even if I'm not washing it, I condition it everytime I'm in the shower (ever other day) so it has to stay down anyways.

That said, if I put it up in a bun as soon as I get out of the shower, I have a tendency to leave it in for days now - even if I get in the shower (yay, buns) - and sometimes three days later parts of it are still wet, even if water never touched it while I was in the shower after it was up.

akhkharu
August 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I rinse and condition it every time I shower, which is pretty much every day. My shower head makes the water rain down from above, so it would be very difficult to keep anything dry.

Colorblond
August 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I just twist it and hold it up with a claw clip

heidihug
August 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think I've taken a shower once in my entire life without washing my hair. If my body is sweaty and dirty, my hair is going to be sweaty and dirty and greasy. Makes sense for those who have dry hair, but I had no idea so many people shower without washing their hair - interesting!

Pixna
August 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I just put my hair in my usual Pencil Bun with a water-safe hair toy. I don't cover my hair -- I like the curls and frizzies the heat and moisture create.

luluj
August 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I just leave my hair down. No matter what I do with my hair at bedtime, it always looks a mess in the morning, so it HAS to be completely wet down each day.

eamane
August 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I usually shower every morning so I just let my hair stay in the sleep bun on top of my head and nevermind the whisps. They dry almost as quick as the rest of me and are normally dry already when I get ready and put up my hair in the day-'do :)

Locksmith
August 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
On non-wash-days, if my sleep braid isn't too wispy, I just twist that into a bun high on my head with a watersafe stick the same way I would normally. If it's really wispy around the nape of my neck I undo the plait and then stick it into an updo. I don't usually bother combing first. :P

BrightEyes
August 18th, 2010, 09:09 AM
My hair is short, so I just put it into a loose pony tail with a scrunchie. Then I put a shower cap on.

bridgetsgirl
August 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Loose hair twisted then clipped to the top of my head with a small claw clip...I also do this when I'm letting conditioner sit as I wash.

Crackaleen
August 18th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Mine gets tied in a high pony and then put into a sloppy bun held in place with a simple metal-free hair elastic.

xJennax
August 23rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
I wrap my hair up in a messy bun and cover it with a shower cap. I'm not too concerned about the wispy bits. Although the cap doesn't fit properly around my head because my hair makes it stick out a bit. I think I should try to get a bigger cap that stretches.

Teazel
August 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM
If it's already in a bun I just pop a shower cap over it.

However, if I'm about to go out or otherwise want my updo to look its best, often I'll leave it uncovered and let the wispies get well misted by the shower. That way they dry into nice little tendrils - with no effort on my part! Now that's benign neglect. :wink:

jennydaesy
August 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
high bun mostly

Mirsha
August 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM
I don't take showers without washing my hair. I just grab a wash cloth and lather up at the sink those days. For me, it's time efficient because I like to stand in the nice warm rain for long long times.. (not handy in the morning).

restourceful
August 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! Isn't it interesting to see how differently yet the same we keep our hair dry, or not?

I'm usually still in my sleep braid, so I clip that up with the first thing to hand and let the wispies get a bit damp.

Do your damp wispies curl as they dry like mine do?

Scrunchie with my ponytail only pulled through halfway. If I'm conditioning it winds up twisted up and secured with a claw clip to keep the conditioner in until I'm ready to rinse.

I need to remember to take a claw clip into the shower with me on condition days and do this too.

As Yozhik said, as long as it is a hair-safe elastic, and you are only doing it during your shower, and not the same place everyday all day long, you're probably fine.

I high-bun w/ a couple of bent aluminum knitting needle forks.
I just let the wispies get wet, and I don't care if the knitting needles get wet.

Yay, another wispy wetter! Do yours curl, too?

A tucked pony tail, I then cover everything with a shower cap... I get annoyed when the wispy bits of hair get wet. A shower cap also means I can dive in under the water and not worry.

Wow, Kathie, you must have a deep bathtub if you can dive in it. ;)
Do you not like to wet your wispies because they curl?

I REALLY loved the old fashoned shower caps my Mom had. They were all puffy with a trim on them that was just so cute! I guess they were big to fit over those large curlers they used to use.

I remember those! My mom had a pink on and a robins egg blue one.

That said, if I put it up in a bun as soon as I get out of the shower, I have a tendency to leave it in for days now - even if I get in the shower (yay, buns) - and sometimes three days later parts of it are still wet, even if water never touched it while I was in the shower after it was up.

Mine stays wet that long, too! I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

I think I've taken a shower once in my entire life without washing my hair. If my body is sweaty and dirty, my hair is going to be sweaty and dirty and greasy. Makes sense for those who have dry hair, but I had no idea so many people shower without washing their hair - interesting!

I used to be an everyday washer, too, heidihug. As I've gotten older, the time between washes has gotten longer. I'm only washing about every 7-10 days now.

I just put my hair in my usual Pencil Bun with a water-safe hair toy. I don't cover my hair -- I like the curls and frizzies the heat and moisture create.

Me, too, Pixna.

If it's already in a bun I just pop a shower cap over it.

However, if I'm about to go out or otherwise want my updo to look its best, often I'll leave it uncovered and let the wispies get well misted by the shower. That way they dry into nice little tendrils - with no effort on my part! Now that's benign neglect. :wink:

I like your thinking, Teazel (and your hair!). It seems there are quite a few of us who take advantage of heat free wispy curling.

LoversLullaby
August 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
I just put my sleep braid into a shower cap to keep it from getting wet.

goldenoak
August 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
I clip mine up with a claw and use an adorable shower cap over the top. That seems to keep it from getting frizzy from humidity.

Hee - like http://www.spa1221.com/allshowercaps.htm! Adorable, although I'm not sure how the ones with the feather trim are supposed to work.

I've only just started trying to reduce my washing from daily to every-other, so I recently bought a cheapo shower cap at the pharmacy. It smells like awful petrochemicals. :disgust: It's only a week old, but eugh, I hate putting it on my head. Also, it's ugly and the blah gray color of white tennis socks accidentally washed with the dark laundry. I'd spend $35 on a hair toy to wear out in public, but somehow I'm choking on spending that much for a shower cap. But it might be worth it to have something that would make me smile to use it.

restourceful
August 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Haha, goldenoak, somehow those conjure up images of french maids with feather dusters for me...:shrug:

goldenoak
August 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Haha, goldenoak, somehow those conjure up images of french maids with feather dusters for me...:shrug:

Hee. They're waaay over the top, but that's sort of what I like about them. :D It's cold and dark and rainy this morning, and putting something like that on my head first thing would have at least made me laugh.

RedStripe
August 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm generally an evening bather and my usual pattern is to shower on hairwash days and take a bath on nonwash days. So usually I'm showering with my hair down so I can wash it. On bath days I put my hair into its sleeping braid and then attach it to the top of my head with a claw clip or some such.

On the occasions when I am taking a shower without washing my hair, I do something similar and top the arrangement with my luxuriously voluminous pink shiny shower cap (with that "Kitten" character from Benefit cosmetics).

HintOfMint
August 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
I just put it in a bun on the top of my head. The edges get wet, but that happens even with a showercap. Sometimes I smooth a dab of aloe and glycerin into my hair before I step into the shower, so that my hair can make the most of the extra moisture in the air from the steam.

restourceful
August 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Sometimes I smooth a dab of aloe and glycerin into my hair before I step into the shower, so that my hair can make the most of the extra moisture in the air from the steam.

Oh, good idea! Now why didn't I think of that? :doh:

saippuakuplia
August 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I make usually a bun on the top of my head with a claw clip and then cover it with my cute pink shower cap :)

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Before I started washing my hair everyday, I would Bun It. Patting with a Towel Got it dry again if too much got wet.

linda g
August 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
I usually just put mine up in 2 claw clips... one of the clips is to "lift" the front part of my hair, and I leave the clips for a little while after, which seems to help me with flatness at the top.

But I have to admit that I was doing some google searching on shower caps, and there were some fabulous ones out there... tempted!

Cinnamon Hair
August 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I wash daily but if I happen to get in the shower a second time I just leave my hair in its bun since I'm usually wearing a Ficcare or dymondwood sticks or a fork. If I'm wearing something that can't take the water then I'll change it out.

Aregonde
August 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
If my hair is straightened and I plan to keep it that way, I put it up in a high, tight, simple twist-'n'-coil bun, and cover that with a shower cap, doing my best to keep the wispies tucked in (if they get wet, no big deal--I just blow dry them straight). If it's curly, I'll pretty much just stuff it into the shower cap as is.

goldenoak
August 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I wash daily but if I happen to get in the shower a second time I just leave my hair in its bun since I'm usually wearing a Ficcare or dymondwood sticks or a fork. If I'm wearing something that can't take the water then I'll change it out.

Now that's interesting, Cinnamon Hair - you've just debunked the myth that daily washing will automatically destroy one's hair and chances for long locks. I'm experimenting with every/other washes right now, but if it doesn't work out, you've given me hope. :)

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM

I do the half-pulled pony thing, too, high up or an ugly mutant bun...if my nape hairs get some water *shrug*

Back_To_Basics
August 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Very interesting thread.
I'm concerned now I have my hair up in a bun type due.
It is not a bun...but it is up I use goody ouchless bands,
and no slip grip scunci bands. My hair does get a little wet from the shower spritzing on it..but not wet enough to soak.
Is it bad to get hair wet in the middle of no wash days?
I'm sorry, I hope it's ok to ask this question in this thread..
sorry if it is not.

restourceful
August 24th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Sure, B2B, I sometimes give mine a good rinsing between washes if I just want to keep myself cool or freshen up my damp bun waves.:D Lots of people do.

Quixii
August 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
For me, any time I take a shower my hair also gets washed. Maybe I'll change that at some point, but my curls can usually use the refresher and my hair doesn't seem to mind that much. :shrug:

lsnyder09
August 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have noticed that my hair tends to fall out more in the shower than anywhere else. How do you ladies deal with that if you have experienced that in the past?

restourceful
August 24th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Lsnyder09, for me personally, if I detangle with a wide tooth comb before I wash, and then wash with the coolest water I can stand, I find I shed fewer hairs. But I also think my sheds are cyclical, more in winter than summer. That's just me; others may have different experiences. :shrug:

aksown
August 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I shower twice a week unless I've been outside sweating and doing dirty things, and my hair gets washed both times. On the odd occasions that I don't wash my hair in the shower I usually just put it up with a clip or scrunchied bun and I LOVE that my wispies curl. I get a halo of ringlets wisps. :happydance:

buzzlegum
August 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I make a ponytail but only pull it halfway through, so I make this bun kinda thing. If I'm still wearing a sleep braid, which is not very often, I pin it up with a hairclip.

dreamsofnorns
September 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I wash my hair almost everytime I take a shower which is everyday either at night or in the morning. I always let it air dry because blowdryers are just too loud and I don't care for them. The only times I won't wash my hair are when I'm taking a shower in the morning before ballet class because I'm just going to come right home and take a shower again to become undweaty and My hair is usually soaked by the time ballet ends. My hair is really greasy though, no matter what I do to it When I do wear it up in the shower it is in a bun made with many many hair elastics.

ArienEllariel
September 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
If I'm not washing my hair, I brush it upside down and gather it into a topknot secured by a scrunchie.

EtherealOde
September 4th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Big claw clip or a Ficcare generally. Any residual dampness from splashing or steam doesn't matter to me. I am pretty easy about my hair and generally spritz it to get it slightly damp every day anyway to smooth it when I put it up.

Juanita
September 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Just put it up with a clawclip or two depending on whether it's in one or two braids in the morning.. I like to wear different braid ways for sleeping.

Henrietta
September 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I hate showers but in my new flat there's not bathtub so I will have to get used to... In the past, when I was forced to use a shower (looooong queue to the first bathroom in my house exactly when I was planning to take a bath:D) I just used a big clawclip to clip my hair up and a cotton headband to take my fringe away from my face;) Sometimes I used a shower cap too.

Johanna
September 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I leave mine in my sleep braid and just leave it down my back in the shower. I ift it up and out of the way when I wash my back. I clean my face in the sink in front of the mirror so I don't stick my face under the shower unless it's hair wash day.