PDA

View Full Version : Betrayed by Hairdresser

halfjapanese
August 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm posting because I need moral support.

After three years since I moved to Hamburg, Germany, I decided to pick a hairdresser and ask for a trim. I had my hair cut by the owner of the salon.

I warned him at the beginning I was frightened. I begged him not to do anything extreme. AND I told him the one thing I am most proud of is the length of my hair, which I had finally grown down to my waist.

He told me he would only trim about an inch and a half from the length. But when he was done, I was left with hair that barely brushed the top of my shoulders. He chopped off 7.5 inches!

It's been more than one week and I still want to punch him in the face every time I look in the mirror. I wish his business would go bankrupt every time I run my fingers through my missing hair. I wish all kinds of horrible tragedies upon him.

I don't even have enough hair anymore to style it in my daily Laura Croft whip braid.

He betrayed me in a way that left me feeling utterly violated. In effect, he CASTRATED me.

I really didn't see it coming. He was so pleasant and friendly. I felt comfortable. I had the impression I could trust him. This was a huge unforeseen mistake, a gross deception. I couldn't see what he was doing behind my back and didn't feel I needed to.

My romantic, medieval, wavy, walnut brown hair reduced to an unattractive, mediocre bob which will take me years to grow out again.

My fists are bruised from punching the wall. I'm sooo upset.

christine1989
August 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I feel so horrible after reading your story! I would not have paid him a penny because he did not give you what you asked for. I wish there was something I could say to alleviate the pain and frustration you are feeling. Just know that you are definatly not alone on this issue. MANY LHC-ers have had horrible encounters with stylists and abandoned salons forever so you are in good company.

angelthadiva
August 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
What did you say to him when he turned you around so you could view his master piece?

This is the EXACT reason I cut my own hair! Before it was long enough so I could do it myself, DH would do it for me.

I am so sorry you are dealing with a shorter than you'd like hair length, but I am curious as to your exchange with the salon owner after the cut. I would not have paid for it if I were you. :grouphug:

Roseate
August 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
He told me he would only trim about an inch and a half from the length. But when he was done, I was left with hair that barely brushed the top of my shoulders.

That's quite a difference! You couldn't feel the scissors on the back of your neck?

I'm fortunate enough never to have run into one of these strange hair-chopping stylists; I have no idea how someone could succeed in business by repeatedly giving their client the opposite of what she asked for.

We're all growing here, you're in good company now!

DakarNick
August 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry that happened!

I'm confused about the length, though. It was waist length and it was cut to your shoulders, yet it was only 7.5" off?

error
August 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Wadda jerk! What a liar I can't believe some people , jealous ,inconsiderate jerk is what he is. the beauty of hair tho is that it will grow back sweetheart , just be patient , the ladies and gentleman here are supportive beautiful individuates that work as a family , your hair will be back in no time! Oh and if you want great inspiration look at the profiles of the individuals that have shaved their heads and grew their hair from that point on to classic length hair . Truly inspiring !

Kathie
August 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I hope you didn't pay him?

Can people take legal action in these sorts of cases? You asked for him to preform a very specific service and yet he blatantly didn't. I don't mean go out and hire a lawyer- but is there a consumer support service or something you could consult?

Unipeg
August 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you. You have every right to be angry. I would be so bleepin miffed if that happened to me. What a creep. Hugs to you!

Meagan
August 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Did he have your chair turned so that you couldnt see what was going on through the mirror, i know some hair dressers do that? Didnt u see him cutting 7.5 inches?

JenniferNoel
August 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
:grouphug: I'm really sorry this happened. How absolutely ignorant of him, to receive a request and do the opposite.
Like error said, hair grows! And it'll probably grow back even nicer than it was before with enough TLC and patience. Don't worry, it's just a matter of time.

kwaniesiam
August 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but how did you not notice this was going on and stop him?

Qwackie
August 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
If it weren't illegal, I'd punch him for you.
But how is it if it was waist-7.5 in = bob?
Man, I feel for ya. I used to have waist length hair and my principal at my school said it was too long so I had to cut it. I know how that feels. I still cry about loosing my hair sometimes.

Angeletti
August 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'm curious, what did you say when you saw what he did and what was his response? I probably would have punched him for real... sorry this happened to you.

Lamb
August 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
So how come you have 25.75" long hair now, as per your profile? That's gotta be longer than a shoulder-length bob. :hmm:

Yozhik
August 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm so sorry.

Doesn't your profile say you have 25 inch long hair, though? My hair is 25 inches, and that's BSL on me . . . :confused:

I hope you feel better :flower:

Qwerty Uiop
August 18th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I've had that happen to me too. ((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish I could punch him in the face for you.

Venefica
August 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
The good news is that the hair will regrow, but I do feel for you and there is a thing we can all learn from here, be vary of who you let near your hair with a pair of scissors. Some hairdressers have their own ideas of how hair should look and feel that everyone should agree with them and feel that if they just cut away pepole will be happy with it. I hope you did not pay the guy, you should tell him exactly how horrible you feel about it, let him know that what he did was not okey.

I am lucky the the hairdresser salon I use always point and ask, should I take this much, or this much. However some hairdressers seam to have a ****** about snipping off long hair. I think I would have actually hit him if what happened to you had happened to me. Yes I would, I would have given him a bloody nose.

Catarina
August 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
That's terrible. I know the feeling. I wanted punch out the woman for 2 months last year that hacked off my bangs to the point they stuck straight out. Everytime I looked in the mirror it was total agony. I couldn't even pin them back.

hetschepetsch
August 20th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I feel for you. That happened to me too, it seems as if Spitzenscheiden is not part of the vocabulary of hairdressers. Did you tell him that you are not satisfied? To cut hair against the will of the owner(hairdresser or not) is against the law (Körperverletzung) in Austria and I am shure in Germany too.

Once I was told that this laws stem from a time when short hair was worn by unfree woman only, that wouldnt surprise me.

Ylvalie
August 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Yep, it's even possible to sue him.
I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

LILBERT
August 20th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Im sorry this happened to you :( I would be livid!
But im afriad i have to ask, how on earth didnt you realise he was cutting up near your shoulders? Did you say anything when hed finished and you realised what he had done?

redkdawg
August 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
So sorry to hear that your hair got hacked off. BUT it will grow out. and you don't have to go back to him. (that idiot)

katha
August 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
To cut hair against the will of the owner(hairdresser or not) is against the law (Körperverletzung) in Austria and I am shure in Germany too.

It is. I read about it somewhere.. I'm sure google has something on it. I heard of someone filing a lawsuit because of something like this.
I imagine it'd be hard to proof what has been discussed prior to the actual cutting.

shawneez
August 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
So sorry to hear what this hairdresser did to your beautiful long hair. I can understand your anger as my hair which was 3 feet long was recently destroyed by a careless hairdresser this past April. I still get angry every time I look in the mirror so I started wearing my hair up so I wouldn't pay attention to it as much which helps. Initially I was so upset I literally couldn't eat for weeks. As more time passed I realized being angry all the time wasn't going to help me. Instead I decided to concentrate on trying to keep myself and my hair as healthy as possible. I turned my anger into researching different ways to encourage hair growth. I started making a alma gooseberry treatment for my scalp to use before each conditioning hair wash. I also started using growth stimulant oils on my scalp and now take biotin, silica and MSM as well as a good multi. So far I have noticed a lot of new growth which is encouraging. Unfortunately it's a very sooooooooo painful process growing your hair out after a disaster. Coming to this support group is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself right now.

CurlAhead
August 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I know how it feels, it happened to med abot 1.5 years ago, and I am still as upset NOW as I was then. What is up with some hairdressers? Are they jealous? How hard is it to do what their customer ask them to do!? It's their job for God sake!

slz
August 21st, 2010, 04:55 AM
No presentation. Only one post, overly dramaticized hair cutting story. No reply in 3 days ...
Can I say troll ?

LouLaLa
August 21st, 2010, 05:07 AM
No presentation. Only one post, overly dramaticized hair cutting story. No reply in 3 days ...
Can I say troll ?

Hmm I thought this a little too.

If its genuine then I feel bad for them, hopefully there will be a follow up post and its all ok/better now.

Lamb
August 21st, 2010, 05:11 AM
Can I say troll ?
I'll say it with you. The questions we asked have all gone unanswered, too... :hmm:

ericthegreat
August 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Can I say troll ?

I agree as well.

If this person truly did have waist length hair and valued it so much, they would not have simply sat there and just allowed the stylist to chop away if they saw the stylist doing so. Surely there must have been mirrors at this salon, wouldn't anyone who valued their long hair make sure to look at what the stylist was doing to their hair? Its only common sense.

Also, the length measurements seem very off. Only 7.5 inches to go from bob length to waist length?? Unless the OP is a very young child, those measurements simply don't add up at all. Cutting 7.5 inches off would take someone from waist length to BSL or a little above BSL, but certainly not as short as bob length.

And you're right slz, only one post in 3 whole days, no subsequent replies, an extremely overdramatized story (I literally choked when I read all the colorful adjectives in the OP's story) I'm calling this a troll post as well.

error
August 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
I agree as well.

If this person truly did have waist length hair and valued it so much, they would not have simply sat there and just allowed the stylist to chop away if they saw the stylist doing so. Surely there must have been mirrors at this salon, wouldn't anyone who valued their long hair make sure to look at what the stylist was doing to their hair? Its only common sense.

Also, the length measurements seem very off. Only 7.5 inches to go from bob length to waist length?? Unless the OP is a very young child, those measurements simply don't add up at all. Cutting 7.5 inches off would take someone from waist length to BSL or a little above BSL, but certainly not as short as bob length.

And you're right slz, only one post in 3 whole days, no subsequent replies, an extremely overdramatized story (I literally choked when I read all the colorful adjectives in the OP's story) I'm calling this a troll post as well.
yeahhhh i agree this person only has one post , with a story that in no way matches up to the statistics of the member , very silly :(

xoxophelia
August 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
I hope it is a troll. This story made me pretty scared and sad to read O.O

Gumball
August 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Mod hat on

Please remember to post respectfully when replying to a thread. If anyone feels something is amiss, or getting out of hand, we request that the post is reported. There is no harm done in reporting a post, but harm can be done by calling people out with labels.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
I reported it yesterday. :)

x0h_bother
August 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Well it sounds like others have gone through something similar to this horrible horror story. It sounds like OP went to someone scissor happy like Nick Arrojo from TLC's What Not To Wear- except he warns clients of his intent to destroy first. (Side note perhaps Nick's short bobs are what got him axed from the show -fiiinally.) I'm sorry to all who have been betrayed :blossom: