PDA

View Full Version : someone should kick me

juliaxena
August 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'd rather have a hug, but after crying here how my hair is short yesterday, I took a turn before going home from work today and what did I do? I went for a trim. It was traumatic as always. The way they deal with hair here is what you don't want to read. I know how my stylist is like but sadly she is the best I can get. I said to take only 1/4 of an inch off. She took 1/2 off. I know other stylists would take an inch off. And I knew she will probably fail me again. I also know half inch is what will grow back in a month. But I'm still sad. I didn't hopelesly need the trim, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to end evenness. I would be happy with 1/4 but am not with 1/2 off. And they way they wash the hair and dry it...poor hair. And SHE has completely fryed hair herself. I can't stop going in for trims when my ends get uneven. Am I LHC worthy at all?

LittleOrca
August 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Everyone is LHC worthy. :grouphug:

Have you tried trimming your hair yourself? Or if it is too short for you to do that, is there someone that you can trust to trim it for you like a loved one? That way you could get your trims and not have to go through that trauma. :)

spidermom
August 17th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Of course you're worthy. I got my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks when I started to grow it, 1/4 to 1/2 inch each time, and my hair still grew, plus the ends always looked good. We all have our priorities, and just because yours are different than somebody else's doesn't make yours wrong.

alwayssmiling
August 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better I cut 1.5 inches off my hair at the weekend - myself my choice. It was very painful because it has taken me so long to get my hair to start growing again, but it was looking to mullety at the back, had to be done. It does feel much, much healthier, if very short. I'm wearing my hair down at the moment because it actually looks good.

I'm thinking of doing what spidermom did, and keep trimming small amounts every 6-8 weeks so it looks good whilst I grow so I don't have to do a big cut again.

redkdawg
August 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
(((hugs)))

don't worry. you still have your hair relatively long. a trim like that will only help. I was worried for a second that you asked for a short trim, and the hairstylist went crazy & chopped it off.

When I get my hair trimmed, I tend to get a couple inches trimmed off. (sorry to shock the list on this one).

CurlAhead
August 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM
((hugs))

It's okay, it will grow out! :)
(But I know how it feels)

juliaxena
August 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
At shoulder lenght I can't trim it myself yet. Noone I know is able to trim just 1/4 inch. We don't have barbers here. Here a hairstylist is supposed to be excentric and chop chop chop to different fashionable styles. So 1/2 inch is what I have to settle for if I want my ends to look nice to me. I realise this is slowing my growth. I guess I will feel better in two weeks when 1/4 is back.

Thank you all so very much! Nobody else would understand why I'm hiding my hair from myself in a pony tail right now, after a fresh trim lol

LittleOrca
August 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
If you know that the stylist will cut off 1/2 an inch at a time, then maybe spread out your visits. Instead of going in, lets say, every 6-8 weeks, maybe go in every 12-16 weeks. Then when she takes off 1/2 an inch it will look like you had just gotten 1/4 taken off per visit.

Alvrodul
August 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Of course you are LHC-worthy!

But that stylist of yours - Shame on her! Why does she ignore her customer's wishes? It is just wrong!
I suppose she wants your hair to be like hers. shudder:
Is there any way for you to get a new - and hopefully better - stylist?

pepperminttea
August 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
:grouphug: Of course you're worthy. Have you tried asking for half of what you want off? So if you want an inch off, ask for half an inch, etc. Or there's always self-trimming (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) - if all you're going for is a one-length cut it's very easy, especially if you want a blunt hem. If worst comes to worst, it'll grow back with a bit of love and patience. Keep going. :flower:

JenniferNoel
August 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM
:grouphug: Yes, you are LHC worthy. We love you.
I'm sorry the trim didn't go so well, but just always remember that hair grows and you'll have that 1/2 inch back and then some before you know it.

deko
August 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
It Will Grow! Hugs to you! And your ends must feel really nice!

I started trimming my own hair when I reached APL. With shorter lenghts it's difficult. And if I would like to have a super even hemline I would have to go to stylist at least once a year to even it out. But I wear my hair up almost all the time so no-one will notice a few dents.

Carolyn
August 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Why not look for a new stylist? If you see someone with hair similar to yours and you like their style, ask where they go for trims. Why do you get it washed and dried? Couldn't you ask them just to spray it down if you want it cut wet? If you think you have to go back to this same stylist, wait longer between trims. Re-emphasize that you are growing your hair and that last time she took off too much.

mariika
August 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
juliaxena, apparently you want to cause yourself PAIN :) no, seriously, honey, maybe you should go out and find someone who can do it better. there is always an option but some times you really have to look harder than the others.
being you I wouldn't go to that stylist ever again. even ends are not worth it.

Pixna
August 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Oh my goodness, juliaxena, of COURSE you are worthy!!! Did you see my pics when I returned to LHC in 2009? Awful, awful, awful! And that was two years after I got pixified! :blueeek: I was afraid to return here, but everybody welcomed me back with open arms. We're here for EVERYONE who wants to grow their hair long or who appreciates long hair. I'm really sorry you had such a traumatic experience. That 1/4 inch will be back before you know it!!

ghost
August 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM
*hugs*
I'm sorry. You're absolutely right that having more hair taken off than you want (even 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch) is upsetting, especially if you've always been clear about what you want.

jasper
August 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
No one should kick you: you sound like you are kicking yourself! You are gaining length, even with trims. Don't compare it to before this trim. Think about this time last year! I am sure I remember your hair closer to chin length thar shoulder length.

christine1989
August 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM
You are more than LHC worthy! You may take a little longer to reach your goal length but when you do your hemline will undoubtly be the envy of us all. Personally I think that it takes much more bravery to go in for trims than to neglect it altogether.

missfortune9335
August 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry, that's a bummer. Is it possible she's cutting off around 1/4" when it's wet and you hair bounces up quite a bit when dry? Maybe next time you can ask her for a dry trim and see what happens....

jaine
August 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am sorry you didn't get what you had in mind...I can see where her confusion might have come from though. Not all hairs end in the same place so i think it's better to show the amount instead of giving a measurement. Is it 1/4 " from the ends of the longest hairs? (in which case only the longest hairs get cut.) or is it 1/4" from the place where the ends start to look solid? (then most of the hairs get 1/4" off.) She probably did something in between those two interpretations.

ravenreed
August 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I would also do what LittleOrca suggested. Don't feel bad. I also hate my hair when the ends are uneven and trim more than is the general trend on LHC. I just give myself a little longer to get to what my long term goal is. My short term goal is to have hair that I can stand on a daily basis because if I hate it now, I am more likely to cut it all off now.

If you know that the stylist will cut off 1/2 an inch at a time, then maybe spread out your visits. Instead of going in, lets say, every 6-8 weeks, maybe go in every 12-16 weeks. Then when she takes off 1/2 an inch it will look like you had just gotten 1/4 taken off per visit.

juliaxena
August 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
My only bet would be a retired hairdresser, an old fashioned one but I don't know any. I will ask around.

I'm not sure I could stretch trims to 4 months in between ans still have the ends I like. I will see how it goes and try not to beat myself about it.

luxepiggy
August 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Thank you all so very much! Nobody else would understand why I'm hiding my hair from myself in a pony tail right now, after a fresh trim lol

have you considered, perhaps, hiding uneven ends from yourself in a pony tail instead, to give your hair more time to grow in between trims? (^(oo)^)v