PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Salon...anything else I should know?

ladyceleste
May 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone! Well, after last year and my accidental chop, I said I would never go back, but now my ends feel bad and crunchy and I am not confident about trimming myself, so I am going to a new salon, highly recommended to me. I don't want a repeat of last year, so here is what I am going to say (fyi, I am at waist, heading to hip):

-I am growing my hair out to hip length or longer, so I only want a small trim, no more than 1/4 of an inch,what I've heard called a dusting (figuring they will probably go to 1/2. That's ok).
-I would like some little face framing pieces, but not the same layers I have. I would like to grow all layers out except for a few face pieces to make updos look better
-Please do not blow-dry or style my hair. I prefer it to dry naturally. Also, I don't want any "product" in my hair.
-Please be gentle while combing it out. I have a very sensitive head. (also I just hate how they rip through it. I am going to try and have it combed out really good before I go too. )

Other than that, I am taking my own shampoo and conditioner. SLS really messes my scalp up, and I can't stand strong scents. Can you all think of anything else I should do, say, know before I go? I am so nervous!

spidermom
May 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Pull all your hair back except for the part that you want to keep as face-framing fringe. It's impossible to misunderstand and cut too much if the rest of your hair is out of reach. (This is how I did it.) Once you've established that, you can let the rest of your hair down for the trim.

ladyceleste
May 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the tip! That is a great idea. I don't want them taking too much off those layers. I had that happen last time. Yikes!

Druid of Alba
May 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I would show them exactly how much to cut off with my fingers for the first snip, so that they have the exact idea. They may misundertand 1/2 inch.

MoldyCake
May 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
What kind of salon are you going to?

MoldyCake
May 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry, my question seems a bit vague, I mean is it a Redken, Aveda? Is it a concept salon?

Islandgrrl
May 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Make the stylist bring your hair around front and show you exactly what their interpretation of 1/4 to 1/2 inch is. I made the mistake of not doing this when I had my last trim in Sept and ended up sacrificing nearly 3" to the scissor gods.

Starr
May 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
-Bring a tape measure with you. . . a lot of stylists won't go ballistic with the scissors if they know your actually checking their work. Even better bring a trusted friend to watch the trim.

-Just because you're going to the salon doesn't mean you have to let them wash your hair for you. If your hair needs to be wet to cut, they can simply spray it down and trim it.

- Be very specific about your face framing piece, visually show them exactly where you want the pieces to hit on you body and how deep into you hairline you want them.

psvzum
May 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Bring your own comb so they don't rip your hair out with the tiny tooth ones they use at salons. Also, if you have a picture of how you want the face framing hair, bring one.