PDA

View Full Version : I want to go NO POO! can you help?

Luna12345
August 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hi guys.....so I have curly hair and I am thinking of going no poo....so my question is....what kind of conditioner should I use and how often? Can I use hair products on my hair? are silicones ok....cuz I love frizz eaze hair serum....is it ok if I still use it while going no poo or will it not wash out?.....Will my hair start smelling bad???? Those of you who have tried please let me know. THanks=)

Nae
August 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 This thread here will help you a lot!!! Read through it, CO is really great for curlies!

I bounce between CO and shampoo bars. When I CO I glob on huge amounts of Suave or sometimes V05 Conditioner. Some on the front, on the sides, down underneath........I make sure it is all saturated. Then I throw on my shower cap for a while. (Usually about 20 minutes and then I glob on a little bit more when I get in the shower and really use my finger pads to make sure the scalp is completely clean. Usually it foams up a little and that helps. Then I rinse rinse rinse rinse until I feel like there is no conditioner left.

Then I follow it with more conditioner to condition ya know? I usually use either the same one that I cleansed with or I will grab my Garnier Triple Nutrition as my second conditioner. Rinse again,, then I usually finish with an ACV rinse. This helps my scalp stay happy. Everyone has their own method though! I find the real trick is leaving the conditioner on long enough for it to start to break up the oils and stuff on the scalp. I hope this helps!

ETA: Cones are usually not used if you are doing conditioner only, they tend to build up. I am not sure on the frizz eaze stuff though. I find when I CO though that I just don't get frizz like I usually do. So the problem may solve itself. You can CO everyday if you like, I usually do about every other day or so. And nah, your hair won't smell bad, you will be just as clean as other methods in my experience. As long as you like the scent of your conditioner you will be good, cuz that is what you will smell like!!!

Clarisse
August 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
The thread title made me think of this:

Why Are You Worrying About You-Know-Who?
You SHOULD Be Worrying About
U-NO-POO --
the Constipation Sensation That's Gripping the Nation!

I'm sorry about the thread hijack and my bad humor :P
I don't think cones is as much of a problem for people like you with M/C hair :)

rosyaddie
August 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Cones won't be stripped out by anything that doesn't have a sulfate.

pepperminttea
August 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Clarisse: :lol:

OP: Are you looking to go conditioner-only (CO) or water-only (WO)? It sounds like CO - there's a great mine of information in the thread Nae linked you to, and there's also a very helpful bit of general beginners' info here (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html). Good luck! :flower:

ButterCup02
August 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Some good links have been posted :) I have been doing CO for over a year now and love it. I do not use cones at all though, I don't think CO would wash out cones. It does wash out hair spray though, which I use once in a while. I use the Suave naturals condtioners. My hair loves CO!

kitschy
August 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I co wash using Suave naturals too. Sometimes I use VO5. I'm cheap.

I've been CO washing since May '09. This is the first time I've ever been able to retain any length at all. My really curly hair was always breaking off from the sulphates and cones.

Tabihito
August 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I definitely recommend reading the threads that have already been linked to.

As far as the frizz-ease goes, its two main ingredients are cyclomethicone and dimethicone. Cyclomethicone is fairly light-weight, and unusual in that it almost sort of evaporates, and in some cases can "dissolve" other silicones. However, dimethicone is a rather heavier silicone, and appears second on the ingredients list. You may be able to try it, but know that there's a distinct possibility of encountering some build-up, depending on how much you use and how often. If you do find that it's building up, you'll probably have to stop using it and clarify to remedy the issue.

However, if it's that big a benefit for you, I'd say try it. The cyclomethicone may be in large enough quantity that the heavier dimethicone won't be as much of an issue. And if it doesn't work, having to clarify and start anew isn't going to kill you or your hair.

redneckprincess
August 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
i went no poo/CO quite some time ago, and will NEVER go back to using shampoo...(s'poo bars thats a diff story, but I'll get to it...)

every 1-3 days, i use a cone free (cheep) conditioner on my roots and THEN with that still applied I add a thicker, cony conditioner to my length, twist it up put in a clip and finish showering..

i get ALOT of "wow your hair smells really good" mostly when I feel like its full of sweat and nasty..

i dont use syrums, dont need them anymore since giving up shampoos

s' poo bars...(told you id get to it, lol) i use themto help wash away henna after a treatment...every couple weeks to every couple months

good luck, i hope it works as well for you as it does for me

Blandine
August 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Clarisse - that was my thought, too!!!!

/end of threadjack

Merlin
August 18th, 2010, 04:33 AM
"Ok, so like maybe if we all think really hard we can stop this poo! ok? yeah? - NO POO! NO POO! NO POO!...."

CrisDee
August 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I've been CO washing since July 2008, and loving it. I also use Suave Naturals and VO5, used to use White Rain, but my hair doesn't like it anymore. I don't even need to use shampoo to rinse out the 50/50 henna/cassia that I do my roots with every 3-4 weeks, the conditioner gets it all out.

I'll bet a cookie you won't need the Frizz Eaze if you give up the sulfates, after a while on the CO you'll likely not have any frizz to ease. You may want to look into some oils - different people's hair seems to like different oils, and some also have to switch oils at different times of the year.

Good luck with your new routine :)

Luna12345
August 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you all so much for ur awsome replies.....
So today is my first .lol.
I went shopping and I was reading ingredients in all the conditioners...All the regular priced and expensive ones had cones and most of the 2 dollar ones didn't have cones . Amazing! I got TRESemme naturals silicone free conditioner(it's so amazing), my first time using it and I love it.
I first shampooed my hair with a normal shampoo that his sulfate in it and then I used aplle cider vinegar with water to get rid of all product build up and then I used the tresseme conditioner as a shampoo to scrub out the smell of acv and then I conditioned my ends. YOU GUYS....when I was combing my hair, I hardly had any tangles at all and it feels so smooth...I'm not sure if it's the vinegar that did this magic or the conditioner.....anyway...I'm going to try to give up all cones even frizz eaze...but is it okay to use oils?.....and by the way guys does CO-washing make hair curlier ???cuz I was looking at some before and after pics and its seems as though most people end up with more curl...

bunzfan
August 19th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Thank you all so much for ur awsome replies.....
So today is my first .lol.
I went shopping and I was reading ingredients in all the conditioners...All the regular priced and expensive ones had cones and most of the 2 dollar ones didn't have cones . Amazing! I got TRESemme naturals silicone free conditioner(it's so amazing), my first time using it and I love it.
I first shampooed my hair with a normal shampoo that his sulfate in it and then I used aplle cider vinegar with water to get rid of all product build up and then I used the tresseme conditioner as a shampoo to scrub out the smell of acv and then I conditioned my ends. YOU GUYS....when I was combing my hair, I hardly had any tangles at all and it feels so smooth...I'm not sure if it's the vinegar that did this magic or the conditioner.....anyway...I'm going to try to give up all cones even frizz eaze...but is it okay to use oils?.....and by the way guys does CO-washing make hair curlier ???cuz I was looking at some before and after pics and its seems as though most people end up with more curl...

Hi. I have been doing co for about 6 weeks i can honestly say my wavy hair has been transformed, and yes it is curlier :)