PDA

View Full Version : Can a guy wear his hair in different styles

ldc441
August 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
like sock buns,hair sticks, messy buns, high ponytails and ect

dayonea
August 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Sure he can! I have long haired male friends who love using hair sticks (they like them a bit plainer than I do) I think the secret is to wear it with confidence! and I would like to see some pics too

JenniferNoel
August 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I don't see why not. I know plenty guys who rock hair sticks and buns/braids/whatnot on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis.
I wouldn't recommend high ponytails and or certain messy buns though. Can look odd.

triumphator!
August 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
You should check out yellowchariot's pictures for braids!

Gumball
August 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I'd say guys can wear their hair however they want. I do.

PrincessBob
August 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I know my spouse lets me put his hair up some times and looks great. He gets compliments at school and around town.

Colorblond
August 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM
As I see it hair is hair and it should be worn however you want. If that is what certain people would call "feminine" then so be it as long as you are comfortable with the style. I know a guy who has mid back length hair and wears it in all sorts of styles from messy buns, high pony tails straight and curled.

frost pattern
August 17th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Too sad men with buns and hair toys are so rare. I can't remember to see one, except for medeveal festivals. None of them had a feminie appearance, they all looked great and manly especially if the hairdo was done very carefully. Go for it!

yellowchariot
August 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
like sock buns,hair sticks, messy buns, high ponytails and ect

^ Are you reffering to the "ability" of a guy to actually make the style or rather the culture of the style's "acceptance"? :D

It took me a while to learn how to do most of those styles such a the various types of braids. Buns are still a challenge for me, due to the length of my hair.

However, if you are referring to the "culture acceptance" of these styles. . . I've never had anybody say anything negative about my braids or do's. Especially when I was riding the Chariot and destroying grass, thorns, and hedges! LOL. I no longer mow, due to my health issues, but I do get out, on days that I can, and walk in the woods. I HAVE TO wear a braid/bun/high ponytail type
do, to keep my hair from being snagged. It doesn't look too bad when I have my tac vest on loaded down with "protective equipment" :D hehe.

BTW, check out my Glock Bun, however I would not recommend it to the novice hairstylists ;) haha

You should check out yellowchariot's pictures for braids!

^ Thanks for your kind words triumphator, I do wish more guys would post pics of their creative do's. . . I'm running out of ideas over here! :toofers: lol

Gumball
August 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Too sad men with buns and hair toys are so rare. I can't remember to see one, except for medeveal festivals. None of them had a feminie appearance, they all looked great and manly especially if the hairdo was done very carefully. Go for it!

And for the record this place is no indicator of how common we are, either! We just, err, happen to congregate. :D

SharkDisco
August 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
My husband used to keep his hair long and would wear it in braids and ponytails. It actually made him look pretty damn sexy and manly. Just do what you want to do and do it with confidence and you'll look good : )

yellowchariot
August 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM
And for the record this place is no indicator of how common we are, either! We just, err, happen to congregate. :D

^ +1 to that Gumball. I'm sure when the "Zombie Apocalypse" arrives, more guys will come out of the wood work wearing Samurai, Barbarian, Viking, and Medevil styles :guns:

katha
August 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM
When I went to a restaurant last weekend, there was a guy with I think around shoulderlength hair and he wore it in a bun. Refreshing to see, I like it.

RadiantNeedle
August 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Have a look at some of the ancient Chinese male hairdos (ignore the Manchu-do in the Qing Dynasty!). Long, gorgeous, up or down, elaborate or simple. All kinds of manly!

slz
August 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Reading the OP I immediatly thought of Yellowchariot and Gumball, but I'm coming a bit late on this one. So I'm just going to second / third / whatevs :D .

SpinDance
August 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Absolutely wear it however you like. Calm confidence is always appealing, so just grin and go with it. If some people don't like it, well, someone isn't going to like pretty much everything, so you have to make your own decisions anyway!

I expect more people don't do braids, buns and whatnot because they don't know how! I knew how to braid before I found LHC, but buns were not solid and stable till I found the instructions through this site.

Besides, the more men wear their hair different ways, the more it will become the norm. Just look at earrings and other such stuff. A few decades ago it was rare for a man to wear earrings, now many of the high schoolers have them, and many younger. Times change, so you'll be part of it!

Qwerty Uiop
August 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I see a lot of messy buns and caterpillars on guys here (Northern California). High ponytails aren't unheard of and lots of guys pull off twin braids too.

I've been away from LHC for a few years and can't help but notice all the guys sporting a single french braid now. I like it a lot--but I've never found short hair on men to be particularly attractive.

Adult men with facial hair and unmistakeably masculine features seem to have a lot more options than little boys, though.

< sigh >

Yellow Chariot, I'm totally checking out your albums to get ideas for my son, who is 2 1/2 with hair at an "in between stage" that is too short for a nape-of-the-neck ponytail and long enough to need a protective style.

ETA I forgot to mention cornrows and dreads because they are both so common for men and boys that i didn't even think it was necessary

frost pattern
August 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Good I saw guys like you on festivals before :). Otherwise this would make me think you're kind of strange (didn't qualify for seeing forum album images yet) and leave this forum right away ;). I wonder where you get your hair toys from, in case you want something beyond a rubber band that previously adored a bunch of parsley? I mean - when I looked for hair toys for the very first time last winter I realised how difficult that is since I dislike all the plastic stuff available in local shops. For men, it's probably a true challenge?

Fingolphin
August 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM
When I worked in a hardware store, I always wore my hair up in bun right in the middle of the back of my head, for practical reasons. Other times I'd wear it in two French braids.