PDA

View Full Version : Victory Rolls 1940's style

dayonea
August 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Over the weekend it was the 65th anniversary of VP day. I thought I would try my hand at recreating a popular 1940's hairstlye in recognition of the anniversary. I was pretty impressed with the results so thought I would show you guys. It is really hard to talk good pictures of dark hair isn't it?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs141.ash2/40392_484068253915_680448915_6830190_4589628_n.jpg :cheese:

Petite Simone
August 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Very nice! Me and sis are going to do a "pinup" seminar. You learn to do the hair and makeup and if you want to you can even do a photoshoot. We just want the hair and makeup lol. You did a lovely job

StephanieB
August 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Oh, Dayonea, you look so beautiful, and soooooo 1940s!!

All you need is an old a WAC or WAF or WAVE uniform to complete the image.

Oh, wait - you're Australian, not American! Didn't Oz have equivalents to our WACs, WAFs, WAVEs and AMWA?

WAC - Women's Army Corps

WAF - Women's Air Force

WAVE - Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency service

AMWA - American Medical Women's Association (the first women physicians accepted as U.S. Army and U.S. Navy officers)

dayonea
August 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys:p

Petite Simone that sounds like soooo much fun!!!! I hope you will share the pics!

StephanieB, Im not really sure? I know we had the womens land army. That was when the women went and worked on farms while the men were off fighting. Gosh we must have had similar things:confused: I'm off to have a google and see what I can find out!

error
August 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Aww wadda cute hair style! I love the touch of the pink rose too! Hmm I wanna try this!

dayonea
August 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hehehe, the rose is covering some very messy bobbee pins, I couldn't quite work out how to hide them all

StephanieB
August 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
WAC - Women's Army Corps

WAF - Women's Air Force

WAVE - Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency service

AMWA - American Medical Women's Association (the first women physicians accepted as U.S. Army and U.S. Navy officers)

We also had Rosie the Riveter (iconic, not real - but there were plenty of real-life "Rosie"s)... and the Navy Nurses... and the Women Air Force Service Pilots... and the Women Aviation Machinist Mates.

VanillaTresses
August 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
It looks GREAT! :thumbsup: I love the vintage hairstyles, especially Victory rolls. I have done them myself on several special occasions. I especially like your addition of the flower. :blossom:

:)

DiablitaNoir
August 17th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Wow, very pretty! I must try this! I've been dying to attempt victory rolls or other various retro '40s and '50s hairstyles but every time I try to use rollers, my hair doesn't want to cooperate. :(

Merlin
August 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
We also had Rosie the Riveter

I have a Rosie the Riveter mouse mat at work Mrs M bought me back from the Smithsonian a couple of years ago!

The Australian forces were (and probably still are) the same as ours as they're one of the UK's dominions - which means that they get their own government, laws and elections but their head of state is a British pensioner they see every 10 years or so. Their airforce was the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and their navy was the RAN - ships are prefixed HMAS rather than HMS.

From The Australian War Memorial
http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/ww2.asp

Nurses had gone overseas with the AIF in 1940. However, during the early years of the war women were generally unable to make a significant contribution to the war effort in any official capacity. Labour shortages forced the government to allow women to take a more active role in war work and, in February 1941, the RAAF received cabinet approval to establish the Women's Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF). At the same time, the navy also began employing female telegraphists, a breakthrough that eventually led to the establishment of the Women's Royal Australian Naval Service (WRANS) in 1942. The Australian Women's Army Service (AWAS) was established in October 1941, with the aim of releasing men from certain military duties in base units in Australia for assignment with fighting units overseas. Outside the armed services, the Women's Land Army (WLA) was established to encourage women to work in rural industries. Other women in urban areas took up employment in industries, such as munitions production.

eezepeeze
August 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I love looks fromt eh forties! This past weekend I did a finger curl and victory roll look to practice for what I want to do at Thanksgiving. I want to do a real retro look for that day. I'll be practicing a few more times, so I'll post pics the next time.

I like the addition of the flower.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I don't think anything says "Independence Day" like victory rolls!

I know we have a lot of non-us members too, but I'd still love to see you rockin' your rock-a-billy hair styles <3
I know this thread is a bit older, but I figured I'd just bump it up instead of start a whole new one

Here is a youtube video on how to do the style (it's LHC friendly, no teasing, it does use hairspray though)

http://youtu.be/U93mpxh2kNM

jasper
July 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Interesting video. I don't understand why she started with the hot rollers, though.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Jasper, I agree, really she just combed out all the curls? Maybe it was to add more volume at the roots?

Also, my hair hates me today and is refusing to curl up politely. do you have any idea how to pin the curls so they don't just puff out and fall over?

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Jasper, I agree, really she just combed out all the curls? Maybe it was to add more volume at the roots?

Also, my hair hates me today and is refusing to curl up politely. do you have any idea how to pin the curls so they don't just puff out and fall over?

Pin curl set or victory roll?

Also OP, your hair looks great, I can't do the swept back front 'cos my cow lick gets in the way.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM
The victory rolls ^.^ they just kinda unravel a bit and flop over >.< granted I'm at work so I'm not using hair spray... but they go from this: O to this S

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
The victory rolls ^.^ they just kinda unravel a bit and flop over >.< granted I'm at work so I'm not using hair spray... but they go from this: O to this S

I used the giant roller pins and pin twice at the base so the roll is more polytunnel than barrel shaped.

If it's really, really not happening, what I use on my finey friend is I take a little strip just inside where I want the victory roll and pin curl it, then lay the roll over the top.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 08:35 AM
( you mean kind of more upside-down U shaped than round?)

Thats a neat trick about the pin curl, I might give it a shot if my hair keeps being so stubborn.
When you pin, do you do just one or do you do one on each side of the curl and have them cross in the middle? Also, (lots of questions I'm sorry. I'm going to a party later and really want to have such a cute style, rather than my limp flat-ness) do you sort of take hair from the scalp, then weave it up into the roll then back down into the scalp, or do you just try to keep the bottom of the pin under the scalp hair and the top of the pin inside the "tunnel"

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM
( you mean kind of more upside-down U shaped than round?)

Thats a neat trick about the pin curl, I might give it a shot if my hair keeps being so stubborn.
When you pin, do you do just one or do you do one on each side of the curl and have them cross in the middle? Also, (lots of questions I'm sorry. I'm going to a party later and really want to have such a cute style, rather than my limp flat-ness) do you sort of take hair from the scalp, then weave it up into the roll then back down into the scalp, or do you just try to keep the bottom of the pin under the scalp hair and the top of the pin inside the "tunnel"

I have made a very badly drawn diagram:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5D1MHy3GBFPZV94Y2tYYU1fXzg/edit

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
:3 I sent a access request, google wouldn't let me look :c mean google!

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 09:01 AM
:3 I sent a access request, google wouldn't let me look :c mean google!

Does this work?

http://i.imgur.com/0AHRF.png (http://imgur.com/0AHRF)

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Yes it does :3 it makes a lot more sense that way actually. :p I'm more of a visual person, and most tutorials just say "pin" but they don't say HOW lol

I just have normal bobby pins, but my sister-in-law might have so roller pins I could borrow.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM
woo I kinda did it! I think it's at least passable anyways

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/LostDove/a177ff6a.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/LostDove/24a84420.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/LostDove/93a3ea32.jpg

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 06:04 PM
woo I kinda did it! I think it's at least passable anyways

Yaay! You got it to work really well!

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 06:14 PM
:3 thanks! It's a bit frizzy, but I dont have any acceptable product to use.

Is there a hairspray that is "lhc approved"? I actually kinda like the style ^.^ I think next time I'll do up the front and then just curl the back, it took me like...15 tries to get the back lol

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
:3 thanks! It's a bit frizzy, but I dont have any acceptable product to use.

Is there a hairspray that is "lhc approved"? I actually kinda like the style ^.^ I think next time I'll do up the front and then just curl the back, it took me like...15 tries to get the back lol

I use AVG diluted with water in a spritzer bottle.

If you want something period/visual appropriate for the back, why not the Gibson tuck?

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Oh, both of those are great ideas! Does the acv dry your hair out?

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Oh, both of those are great ideas! Does the acv dry your hair out?

Aloe vera gel? Only if your enviroment is dry, as it's a humectant.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh, no it gets pretty humid here, I better not do the gel. I'll try the vinegar though :p it would be nice to find something so cheap that works well