PDA

View Full Version : Do you let hairdresses blowdry your hair?

emsahib
August 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
It'll probably be a while before I go to the hairdresses as my ends are looking fine. But I was thinking when I next go should I ask for a dry cut? As in having my hair cut dry without them washing it first. I'd usually have them wash it and blowdry but I have been letting my hair dry naturally for a few months now.

What do you lot do when you go to the hairdressers? Also do you think its more damaging cutting wet hair? And will a dry cut affect the quality of the haircut?

spidermom
August 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
It really depends on my mood and the weather. I walk out with wet hair most of the time. There have also been a couple of times when I blow-dried my own hair while the stylist worked on my daughter. And sometimes the stylist does it. Every once in a great while, I even let her straighten it with the flat iron. She really likes to see it that way.

emsahib
August 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
have you had it cut dry as well? I usually wash mine before I go anyway so it looks nice, but then it gets washed twice. Do the other customers at the hairdressers think its strange you leaving with wet hair?

SharkDisco
August 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm planning to ask for a dry cut the next time I go in, too. As much as I love how sleek and shiny I look after a good blowout and/or flatiron, for the last few years my hair has felt so dry and damaged in the weeks following a visit to my stylist that I don't think it's worth it anymore. It'd be nice if a dry cut turned out to be cheaper, too : )

Carolyn
August 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
It depends. If I go to a cheap place like a WM salon to just get the ends off I don't get a shampoo and I get a dry cut. So no blow dry and no styling. I was told a long time ago that with my wave pattern I'm better off getting a dry trim if it's just a small trim and not a restyle. When I go for color and high lights I always let her blow it dry and use a curling iron or flat iron. The last couple time I've done that with trims too. I love my hair after it's been professionally blow dried and flat ironed. I don't own a flat iron so I don't do it at home. I rarely blow dry either. I've been getting my hair trimmed about every 3 months this past year and I don't think blow drying and a few passes with a flat iron are going to hurt my hair that much. I want to have fun with my hair and enjoy it. I love the way it looks when this is done. I've decided to risk it and have the hair of my dreams for 2 days every 3 months.

Kathie
August 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The last time I went to the hairdressers I had a dry cut done. I loved it! I was in and out within half an hour. She took around a cm off, and my ends felt great. It’s been two months since then and they're still feeling good. Oh and it was soooo much cheaper than my usual stylist.

My plan is to go to my usual pricier stylist for cuts/restyles as it gets to APL and BSL because I really trust her and thats hard to find. I'll get dry cuts with the other hairdresser in between.... I hope no one get offended.

spidermom
August 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I usually go to the hair stylist about 2 days after washing so that it's ready to wash again, but not nasty-looking and feeling. I like the way my stylist washes my hair; it's a scalp massage. I have gone with freshly washed hair, too, then she just rinsed and applied conditioner. I've even gone in with wet hair and had it cut. If the other stylists think I'm weird for walking out with wet hair, well - it's their problem. It's my hair, my choice, and I'm pretty oblivious to disapproval (as well as approval) anyway.

ericthegreat
August 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I actually purposely go to the salon to get my hair blown out straight about once every week. My hair is already mostly straight naturally, but when my hair dries naturally it just hangs there. When I get my hair blown out, its super shiny and sleek and straight, it shines like a mirror! I have hair made of steel, I have colored/highlighted my hair over this past year, and for over 10 years I have been heat styling my hair and my hair feels just as strong and it is just as shiny as it has always been.

I usually do my own S&Ding and trimming. I only get my bangs and my face framing layers professionally cut, I only get my length professionally trimmed maybe every 4 or 5 months.

emsahib
August 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
ooo I hadn't thought about the cheaper thing, thats another good reason :) and Carolyn your right it probably doesn't damage it much once in a while :)

emsahib
August 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM
oh and what's S and D?

Qwackie
August 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
He never blow dries it, and when he does, it's only during winter so I don't have freezing cold hair outside. He knows I'm trying to grow it out, so he tries not to damage it, and stopped the razor cuts.

clichepithet
August 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
oh and what's S and D?

An S&D is a Search and Destroy. It's where you sit, usually in bright light, and search for splits, fairy knots, etc. When you find one, you use your hair-only scissors and cut it off right above the damage.

It's addictive and way more fun than it should be.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Got to do the scalp massage, feels so good. But as my hair has gotten better, my hair is usually dry by the end and it gets finished on cool. No heat, I have enough henna shades without more from heat.

missjessiecakes
August 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
An S&D is a Search and Destroy. It's where you sit, usually in bright light, and search for splits, fairy knots, etc. When you find one, you use your hair-only scissors and cut it off right above the damage.

It's addictive and way more fun than it should be.

Oh noo hijack
That is why my bangs and parts of my hair I can see are split and or white dot or fairy knot free.

Kay end hijack :D

I would get it trimmed dry but eh I like when they wash my hair :cheese:

Centaur
August 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I used to go to the cheap places to get my hair trimmed. I would wash, condition and comb my hair right before going there, so they would cut my hair wet, but I was the one who had already combed it out. I did this because whenever I had them wash and comb it, they were way too rough and broke off some hairs.

Now, I go to real hair salons, where they use really good shampoo and conditioner products on my hair and they are gentle and capable in how they handle may hair, so I let them wash and condition and comb it. I was letting the hairdresser blow dry my hair out straight and sleek with lots of cones and the round brush. These visits for regular trims were the ONLY times I was using heat styling or brushes on my hair.

HOWEVER, I have recently made the decision that I will no longer have my hair blown out straight with the brush. I DO, unfortunately, think that some damage was caused to my hair in the process. My hair just really doesn't seem to like intense handling of any kind. I think brushes are the real mechanical culprit. So, for future visits, I am planning to ask the hairdresser to use the defuser and minimal handling with her hands and leave the waves in. I will probably ask that she just use the defuser until my hair is almost dry/slightly damp. That is the plan now, anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Roseate
August 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I love the scalp massage and blowout, I won't lie! My hair is coarse and strong, two blowouts a year won't kill me. I usually get some scalp reaction from the sulfates in the shampoo, but I can deal. I like seeing my hair straight once in a while, and it's so smooth and shiny when they do it!

dancingmegs
August 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have short hair, so I may not be as relevant here, but I always have my hairdresser blow-dry and flatiron my hair. He makes my hair look so great, it just makes me really happy. I go to a more expensive salon, and I like the pampering of having my hair washed, cut and styled.

little_cherry
August 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Nope...I don't let her shampoo it or rake it with a brush, either...she respects that because her hair is at waist. :)

christine1989
August 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM
A dry cut will be less exact (especially on curly or wavy hair) so I always go for the wet cut. I don't see any harm in the occasional blow drying as long as a good quality brush is used and you ask for a lower heat setting.

UltraBella
August 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
If you are only having your ends trimmed, a dry cut will be fine. But, if you are having any layers refreshed, shaping done around your face, etc....... it may be best to have your hair washed before hand. Some stylists have a difficult time dry cutting hair and you really should find out what your stylist is most comfortable with, they will do their best work that way. My hair must be cut wet, it would be impossible to cut it dry. I love the scalp massage but I do not blow-dry my hair, so I let it air dry even after getting a trim.

Flossy
August 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I love the whole process of going to the hairdressers...sitting there waiting for my colour to 'cook', reading all the magazines I can get my hands on...the massage when I have my hair shampooed...heaven...and tossing my head around after I get it styled before I leave!

I figure it only happens every couple of months, and I baby it enough in between times, I should just enjoy it and get my money's worth.

emsahib
August 17th, 2010, 06:54 AM
HOWEVER, I have recently made the decision that I will no longer have my hair blown out straight with the brush. I DO, unfortunately, think that some damage was caused to my hair in the process. My hair just really doesn't seem to like intense handling of any kind. I think brushes are the real mechanical culprit. So, for future visits, I am planning to ask the hairdresser to use the defuser and minimal handling with her hands and leave the waves in. I will probably ask that she just use the defuser until my hair is almost dry/slightly damp. That is the plan now, anyway. We'll see how it goes.I think your right since I've cut down my brushing alot I've noticed my hair hasn't broken like it used to. I've been doing other things to improve the quality as well but I think less brushing has helped loads

Also can someone tell me how to quote so it says who posted originally I can't work it out

julliams
August 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I get my hair cut about once every 6 months, so when I do, I let them style it anyway they want to. I ask for a heat protectant and I tell them that I don't use heat to style my hair for a reason and I find that mostly they will repond by doing a less damaging blowdry. For instance I had my hair done for a high school reunion the other day and she used her fingers as a rake through my hair to blow dry it on just a warm heat. I'm pretty sure that if I had have not told about what I am doing with my hair she would have used high heat and a brush. We were following that with using a straightener to do some big curls. It's only once in a blue moon, so I enjoy it and love the new look for a few days. I haven't noticed any damage in particular from doing this once every 6 months.

Capybara
August 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I haven't been to the salon in over a year, but when I do go, I let my stylist blow dry my hair. Sometimes, I will let her flat iron it, but I find that there is little (if any) difference between my hair blow dried and flat ironed, so I usually don't bother. I find that flat irons just kill the volume in my hair :shrug: I don't think I've incurred any damage from letting a stylist blow dry my hair once every year or two :)

You can always ask your stylist to blow dry it on cool, as well. He/she doesn't have to use the hottest setting, or the highest amount of wind from the dryer :)

Centaur
August 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I think your right since I've cut down my brushing alot I've noticed my hair hasn't broken like it used to. I've been doing other things to improve the quality as well but I think less brushing has helped loads

Also can someone tell me how to quote so it says who posted originally I can't work it out

It was Centaur!;):D *waves* The quote has to include the forum user name and post number you are quoting

emsahib
August 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
It was Centaur!;):D *waves* The quote has to include the forum user name and post number you are quoting

ah ha! I've just seen the quote button the one on other peoples posts I've just been copying the text I wanted to quote and putting quote wrap thing around it, can't believe I didn't see this before

emsahib
August 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I haven't been to the salon in over a year, but when I do go, I let my stylist blow dry my hair. Sometimes, I will let her flat iron it, but I find that there is little (if any) difference between my hair blow dried and flat ironed, so I usually don't bother. I find that flat irons just kill the volume in my hair :shrug: I don't think I've incurred any damage from letting a stylist blow dry my hair once every year or two :)

You can always ask your stylist to blow dry it on cool, as well. He/she doesn't have to use the hottest setting, or the highest amount of wind from the dryer :)

Yeah asking for a cool setting sounds like a good idea. Has anyone had problems asking a hairdresser to do this or blowdry without brushing?

Capybara
August 17th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah asking for a cool setting sounds like a good idea. Has anyone had problems asking a hairdresser to do this or blowdry without brushing?

In my experience, hairdressers have been very reasonable with my requests, whether it be for me to detangle my own hair after the wash, or to use the cold setting. Actually, after requesting that my stylist use a wide toothed comb on my wet hair, she produced a few choices, among them: an Afro pic! It was great, so gentle. Now, it's what she would automatically reach for when she needs to detangle my hair. Just make sure to include an adequate gratuity (if customary) for his/her trouble ;)

my2cats1
August 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Some stylists have a difficult time dry cutting hair and you really should find out what your stylist is most comfortable with, they will do their best work that way. My hair must be cut wet, it would be impossible to cut it dry. I love the scalp massage but I do not blow-dry my hair, so I let it air dry even after getting a trim.

Years ago I asked for a dry cut and was told that it is against health regulations. :confused: Something about the hairdressers breathing the dust of tiny bits of hair. Now I'm wondering if that particular hairdresser was really just uncomfortable cutting dry. The honest answer would have been fine with me.

Are there certain states in which dry cutting is frowned upon?

yassi
August 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I love getting my hair blown out straight, and since I only go for a haircut once or twice a year (I trim my own split ends, and have curly hair, so I don't really care about an even hemline), I don't think that it can be doing TOO much damage.

UltraBella
August 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Years ago I asked for a dry cut and was told that it is against health regulations. :confused: Something about the hairdressers breathing the dust of tiny bits of hair. Now I'm wondering if that particular hairdresser was really just uncomfortable cutting dry. The honest answer would have been fine with me.

Are there certain states in which dry cutting is frowned upon?

I do not know of any states where dry cutting is not allowed. It doesn't even make sense to me. Salons have bits of hair EVERYWHERE !!!

poloandpearls
August 18th, 2010, 12:21 AM
oh and what's S and D?

I only just joined the forums last night so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's Search & Destroy (of split ends)

Tennessee Rose
August 18th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Yes, because the only time I blowdry my hair is when I go to the hair dresser and she straightens it a bit. I pay a visit every 3 months so the blowdry helps seeing the progress.

Colorblond
August 18th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I love getting my hair blown out straight, and since I only go for a haircut once or twice a year (I trim my own split ends, and have curly hair, so I don't really care about an even hemline), I don't think that it can be doing TOO much damage.
I agree I only get a trim twice a year so it is a treat to just sit there and be pampered and my hair always looks so good when blow dryed

frost pattern
August 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Yes, every three months and I always ask her to style it the way she likes. She's very careful, and she always keeps the dryer blowing in the scalp to ends direction. I was surprised when I noticed that last year. I tested at home and realized it makes a difference indeed (shinier hair, the styling lasts longer even if done with a lower temperature).

swivelhop
August 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
When I want someone else to cut my hair I go to a traditional barber. :eyebrows: You know the places where everyone is over 60 or under 10? Ever barber I've ever been to had:
1. A stool with no back for you "kids" with long hair.
2. A barber that double and tripple checks that I really want 2 entire inches off.
3. No style, product, kickback pressures. Just tip well thank you.
4. Cool red and white spiral pole.
5. Blow-dryer? Do they even have one?

My hair hates blowdryers turns out terrible and takes weeks to recover. In winter I'll just put my hood up to keep the hair from freezing. Freezing isn't nearly as hard on my hair as blow drying. Yet the hair handles flat-irons just fine. I don't understand it, I just go with it. If the barber wants to cut wet or dry I just let them. Self-trims are convienant but never oh so perfectly blunt and straight as the barber's.

twilight_faerie
August 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
I only just joined the forums last night so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's Search & Destroy (of split ends)

That's correct. :)

I usually let my hairdresser blow-dry my hair after she trims it. I don't go to her very often (every 2-3 months or so), so I doubt it's gonna do much harm if it's that infrequent. Also, I loooove the way it feels :p except when she puts the heat up too high and it burns my scalp.

Devon77
August 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I am a hairdresser!!

Wash your hair--go to the salon with it wet--have her/him trim it--leave with it wet.

The shampoo bowl tangles long hair really bad..stay away from it if you can.

Clients leave with wet hair alot. This is not weird..

If you like a dry cut.. no problem..call the salon ask for someone who is comfortable with a dry cut.

The stylist who said it was a health thing? I have never heard of this..She probably could not give a nice dry cut.

Crackaleen
August 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
I've never heard of a dry cut before, didn't even know it was an option. I generally just let them wash and cut it and then I leave with wet hair. Never gotten any weird looks. That's a great idea though, to wash your hair yourself and then go while it's still wet. That way you have control over the combing/detangling. I've yet to find a stylist who takes the time to detangle long hair properly. All of the ones I've been too have attempted to start at the roots and yank the comb through my hair (ouch!).

Devon77
August 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Try and find a hairdresser with long hair.. we do exist!:)

jasper
August 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
I haven't been to a salon in years, but I would leave with wet hair rather than sit through the blowdrying process on long hair. I never considered whether it was damaging or not, I just didn't have the patience to sit through it.

luthien_belewen
August 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
I love it when the stylist washes my hair (that's the best part imo!), so I don't usually ask for a dry cut. Most of the time I wouldn't let them blow dry and just walk out with wet hair. But that was back when I had super short hair and blow drying it made me look poofy and weird. Sometimes I'll like an occasional, short blow dry because it really lifts my hair and gives it a lot of volume. Also nice is to stand head down in front of a nice cool fan ^_^

Venefica
August 22nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Normally there is no need as I only trim my fringe and she seldom put water in it. But around Christmas I trim the tips of my hair and have more of a deluxe treatment and then I let her blow dry it just because my hair never looks better than the day I have had my appointment so I sort of want to bask in it instead of the hair being wet. However since I never use a blow dryer at home, I own no blow dryer or any other heat based styling tools I doubt once a year will damage my hair.

I always comb out my hair before I go to the hairdresser and wash it myself, not because I do not trust her but because it cost so much more to have those things that I might as well do myself done at the hairdresser.

smileycat
August 22nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
My stylist likes to dry it to check the cut (I still have some long layers), but her dryer is extremely hot and fries my hair. I usually go home and DT after my appointments. I never like the way my salond-dried hair looks anyway, though I used to blow dry my own hair daily and loved it until a couple of months ago.

torrilin
August 22nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I get wet cuts because my hair is fiendish and will not cut evenly if it is dry. Afterwards, I'll walk out with it wet and loose, have the stylist braid it, or braid it myself. It's not worth 6-12 months of pissed off hair from one go round with a blow dryer... and that means my hair got over the snit quickly!

Angeletti
August 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
I would say no, I would just walk out with wet hair whenever I do decide to go to a hairdresser. Years ago I've had too many of them yank through my wet hair with a comb probably breaking who knows how many hairs in the process and then using all that heat. I would rather just let it air dry which is normally what I do with my hair.

XcaliburGirl
August 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
I don't blow dry my hair at home, so it seems silly to pay a little extra to have a hair dresser do it. I could see doing it as a treat if you like how it turns out.