PDA

View Full Version : Help -Sock buns hurt!

rags
August 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have finally, finally managed to do the fully rolled sock bun, and it's gorgeous! (I don't have enough hair to cover the sock in a regular style). The problem is, it is so heavy it starts hurting almost immediately because all of the weight is on the hair tie. What do the rest of you do? Do you pin through the sock and try to distribute the weight that way? Would it help if I got a smaller, lighter sock? I used an old thick brown sock of DH's - it made a gigantic bun, but it was rather heavy.

I love this style and want to be able to wear it. As of right now though, I've had to take it out after 15 minutes. It just pulled too badly. Any help is appreciated!

triumphator!
August 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I say try a smaller sock and a ponytail that isnt so tight?

little_cherry
August 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
What do you use to secure the ponytail with? I use 2 velvet scrunchies; one to tie the pony, and the other instead of a sock.

LouLaLa
August 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I origionally wrote these up as a favour to Henrietta who was having troubles too and asked me to troubleshoot for her (she tells me they work) :)

"Weight/tension" advice
* Use hoisery as the "sock" as it will be very light weight and the static of the lycra should grab your hair better as well as being much lighter to hold
* when rolling, you say youve rolled as much as you can, have you been rolling and pulling tight then rolling again at about 1/4 of the way though the rolling process? (I find this vital to get a tight bun)
* I would use a bobby pin after you have fully rolled to pin the bun into place.
* Try doing your hair in a high pony tail so that when the bun "drops" it dosent really matter too much!

Extras
*Make sure the pony tail from which you are working from is very flat, tight without hurting and sleek- if the foundation is wrong the bun wont work.
* Use a very fine hair elastic thats very fine to pull in all the slack hair after youve rolled the bun- I find this really useful when my hair isnt co-operating!)
* when trying to hide the colour of the sock and get hair all round the bun, dont use fingers to move it, use the palm of your hand and keep smoothing it with the palm, it works pretty well.
* Spritz hair with a little water or some sort of hair mist before you begin so that the hair "grabs" at the material more.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52893

And here is the link to my sock bun thread where I replied to some lovely LHC'ers who had a few issues. I hope the images help too :)

Thats all I can think of for now, I hope at least one helps!

Roseate
August 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I pin through the "sock", and for my sock I use one of those mesh doughnuts (http://www.sallybeauty.com/mesh-chignon/SBS-463615,default,pd.html). They are very lightweight and easy to pin through. I use my 3" amish pins and the pointy ends just breeze right through it. If I don't pin, it's not comfortable at all, so I know what you mean!

heidihug
August 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
What LouLaLa said. I place the ponytail VERY high on my head when doing a sock bun. Makes it much more balanced and less likely to pull. And, I have found that it's important to make the ponytail quite firm and close to my head, and then secure it all the way around with Good Hair Days pins, or the bun flops and pulls an awful amount.

rags
August 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thank all of you! Let's see - I'm securing it with an ouchless elastic and it isn't too tight at all. It would be perfect for a regular pony.

It sounds like I need to get a lighter weight sock or hosiery or a scrunchie (would never have thought of that one!) and then pin it. I do have one of the mesh doughnuts; I didn't think you could do a rolled bun with them. :hmm: I'll have to try it!

Heidihug hit it on the head when she said - it flops. It flops and so it pulls and so it hurts. I don't have this problem with the regular sock bun (not that I ever wear it, but I've tried it enough to know it doesn't do this). So it has to be the giant sock and how big of a bun this makes. I shall conquer this bun yet! :p Thank all of you for the wonderful tips!

PrincessBob
August 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I just learned sock buns during the local fair this past week. I cannot fully roll on my hair, but I did it on my sister, with the same general issue-- major floppiness to the bun, where I had been told that a fully rolled sock bun only needs the initial elastic and sock doughnut to hold.
Oh, well, super thanks for thye info.