PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for hair to change like this?

irishlady
August 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

My hair has always been naturally wavy, of varying degrees.

When I was younger it was always slightly wavy, then it changed by itself and became very wavy, now it seems to be going much straighter in the past few months, with only the ends waving sometimes.

I promise I'm not doing anything to it, and I feel a bit sad, since I'm missing the natural waves :(

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gumball
August 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
New growth can definitely be altered by hormones and genetics. I had spirally hair as a toddler, hair with just a bit of wave up until puberty, then it curled and fluffed on out to the hair I have today. As for the length seeming to change its type, well that can be a byproduct of product usage, handling, and your routine. Sometimes a combination might promote hair with hidden curl to be more curly, while doing other things might result in it getting straightened out. Also for people with some curl, the longer hair gets the more weight it has. That weight can pull out some of the curl, making the hair appear straighter.

spidermom
August 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I think change is pretty much the only constant. As a child my hair was mostly straight with a few "cow-licks". Now it's wavy to spiral-curly just after washing if dried without combing. My spirals are the long, loose kind, so it takes length for them to form. I went to Italy a few years ago, however, and over there my hair was at least 1B straight; I don't know why.

irishlady
August 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
New growth can definitely be altered by hormones and genetics. I had spirally hair as a toddler, hair with just a bit of wave up until puberty, then it curled and fluffed on out to the hair I have today. As for the length seeming to change its type, well that can be a byproduct of product usage, handling, and your routine. Sometimes a combination might promote hair with hidden curl to be more curly, while doing other things might result in it getting straightened out. Also for people with some curl, the longer hair gets the more weight it has. That weight can pull out some of the curl, making the hair appear straighter.

Thanks Gumball :)

Hmm I don't think it could be any products that I know of, I'm still treating my hair the same way, and it's never seemed to change with products before.

I guess it's just changing of it's own accord lol, it sometimes changes colour too, dark brown sometimes, and other months sometimes more of an auburn lol.

cmnt831
August 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
The longer my hair gets, the more curl it loses. It's gone from 3a curly at BSL and shorter to 2b/2c wavy and even straighter at waist length. So my change is apparently a product of weight and length bearing on fine hair. Have a look in my "Hair" album to see the changes it's gone through since I joined LHC if you want.

And I second what Gumball said. :)

irishlady
August 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I think change is pretty much the only constant. As a child my hair was mostly straight with a few "cow-licks". Now it's wavy to spiral-curly just after washing if dried without combing. My spirals are the long, loose kind, so it takes length for them to form. I went to Italy a few years ago, however, and over there my hair was at least 1B straight; I don't know why.

Come to think of it, would humidity cause it to change? It's been much straighter in this humid weather, although it's been straightening by itself before the humidity too...

The longer my hair gets, the more curl it loses. It's gone from 3a curly at BSL and shorter to 2b/2c wavy and even straighter at waist length. So my change is apparently a product of weight and length bearing on fine hair. Have a look in my "Hair" album to see the changes it's gone through since I joined LHC if you want.

And I second what Gumball said. :)

Thank you very much :)
Your hair sounds a lot like mine, it just depends on length, although I've had it at varying lengths recently and it just stays straighter lol

cmnt831
August 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Irishlady, as you can see in my stats, I'm in the Land of Hair Confusion in regards to what my hair is doing. I just try to go with it. The hair just does what it wants. ;)

irishlady
August 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Irishlady, as you can see in my stats, I'm in the Land of Hair Confusion in regards to what my hair is doing. I just try to go with it. The hair just does what it wants. ;)

haha yeah, I like that "Land of Confusion", fits very well with my hair too :p
I'm still trying to get used to just letting it do it's thing lol

Anje
August 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hair texture can definitely change. However, if this has just been going on for the last few months (on already-grown hair that isn't just having curls weighed down), it might be that you've got buildup and need to clarify.

Changes in your wash water source can also make a difference, I think. I know plenty of people notice changes in their texture when they move between soft and hard water.

irishlady
August 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hair texture can definitely change. However, if this has just been going on for the last few months (on already-grown hair that isn't just having curls weighed down), it might be that you've got buildup and need to clarify.

Changes in your wash water source can also make a difference, I think. I know plenty of people notice changes in their texture when they move between soft and hard water.

I was thinking of doing a clarifying wash, I'll see how it goes.

chelseamichelle
August 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
yes I used to have curly hair, then it was wavy and now it's starting to get straight :(

But for me I know its the length, the longer my hair the looser the waves

cmnt831
August 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
haha yeah, I like that "Land of Confusion", fits very well with my hair too :p
I'm still trying to get used to just letting it do it's thing lol

Well, it is a very interesting place to be.... :p

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
It could be caused by hormones, the weather, build-up, hair length.

I had 3c hair as a toddler. 2a before puberty. Now 2c/3a and getting curlier.

Sadly, I might lose some of my curl as My hair gets longer which is making me sad :(

xoxophelia
August 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
If you have been treating your hair better than it likely the cause. When my hair was more damaged it was also more wavy. It has slowly been getting straighter. No worries though, it is better to have healthy shiny hair and you can always make it wavy without heat :)