PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like sulfates and no cones?

rosyaddie
August 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I've discovered my scalp (and hair) like sulfates, but not cones. I'm using a few different shampoos and Tresemme naturals moisture conditioner. I'm considering trying out a routine with light/modified cones, or maybe using suave.
Anyone else like sulfates, but not cones? :cool:

Madame J
August 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Yup, me. I use Desert Essence Organics, which contain sodium coco-sulfate (a less-refined version of SLS). My scalp loves it, and loves that they don't contain synthetic fragrance. But 'cones make my hair lank.

pepperminttea
August 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Since I moved back home to hard water, yes. I seem to need a sulphate shampoo even with an ACV rinse to stop the build up, but my hair doesn't get along with cones no matter what the water quality. C'est la vie I guess. :shrug:

mhiap
August 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
My scalp likes sulphates, although I do dilute my shampoo. Cones make my hair a bit too flat, plus I CO sometimes so don't use cones for that. I tried going sulphate free, and did CO for quite a while but had scalp issues that so far only sulphates have resolved so now I alternate between CO and CWC.

virgo75
August 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM
After tons of experimenting, I'm starting to find this to be true for me as well.

I can use stuff that has cones, but after a few hours it makes my hair tangly at the ends.
I can't CO because I shed like a beast and my hair ends up coated and dry(even totally cone free :confused: ).

Just about any clear-ish shampoo works for me - right now I like Nature's Gate Herbal & Aveda Brilliant.

But I have a hard time finding a cone free conditioner that conditions as well as I'd like. I have the famed Biolage Conditioning Balm, but I don't think my hair likes humectants much(glycerin, propylene glycol) because with both my hair just feels heavy and coated, then dry. I also have Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose which my hair hates too(it hates shea butter = coated rubbery hair). Hoping others will chime in with their product preferences. :p

Thanks for starting this thread rosyaddie. :flower:

Eboshi
August 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Sulfates and no-cones is the best thing that has happened to my hair. I tried CO and it did not really work on my scalp hair. I wash my scalp with a sulfate-containing shampoo, currently I use either Nioxin or "Gee your hair smells terrific." :) The length of my hair is CO-only, typically with VO5 and then with Biolage conditioning balm as the second conditioner.

rosyaddie
August 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Cones worked for me at a different length, but my hair is still short, with all layers hovering near chin/mid neck, and I hate that weighted down feeling.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
My hair looks bad with no sulfates due to the hard water. Getting no cone CO makes my hair happy. Then oil and a drop or two of coney serum on the ends to give them slip without my scalp pouting.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Fructis triple oil is cone free. My hair didn't like it with sls, but it's ok for co only. Plus it's cheap so if it's a no for you, it is the best shave gel of anything.

missjessiecakes
August 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
My hair is meh on cones but if I drop out the sulphates it gets mad and starts sprouting pimples and sores that scab over.

For a non cone conditioner I use the suave professionals rosemary mint. (at least I didnt see any cones on the label) Its thicker without being too rich for summer. I dont think the Garnier Nutrisse Triple nutrition has cones either but I could be wrong.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Suave rosemary mint is cone free. Easier to find cf in the cheaper lines which makes md a happy bunny.

HintOfMint
August 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
That's my routine. Scalp loves SLS, but the ends hate both SLS and cones, so I CWC with a sulfate shampoo and cone free conditioner.

excentricat
August 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I've been really happy with my hair after going no-cone, but I do still use sulfates. I've never actually tried going without them, at least not for any length of time. My scalp and hair aren't dry so I never worried about it.

Sammich
August 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Oh yes, this is me all the way. :p No sulfates made my scalp itch like crazy! :p

mellie89
August 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
That's me, for now at least. My virgin hair seemed to enjoy cones but my damaged ends hate them with a passion. So I use any old SLS shampoo with either Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner or Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner, both of which are cone-free.

I've never had a problem with sulfates, and I haven't found a sulfate-free shampoo that didn't make my hair freak out. Why fix something that isn't broken, right?

virgo75
August 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Just thought I'd let you ladies know - both the Suave Shea & Almond and the Suave Rosemary & Mint have cones. The ingredients are below with cones bolded.

Suave Shea & Almond Conditioner:
Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice [Aloe Vera], Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil [Lemongrass], Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Dimethiconol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Chloride, Lactic Acd, Disodium EDTA, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, PEG-150 Distearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Suave Rosemary & Mint Conditioner:
Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice [Aloe Vera], Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil [Lemongrass], Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Dimethiconol, Fragrance (Parfum), Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, PEG-150 Distearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Luna12345
August 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I've discovered my scalp (and hair) like sulfates, but not cones. I'm using a few different shampoos and Tresemme naturals moisture conditioner. I'm considering trying out a routine with light/modified cones, or maybe using suave.
Anyone else like sulfates, but not cones? :cool:
Well I love cones....but I don't know about sulfates....I do love tressemme shampoos and conditioners though....especially the vitamin E ones

Clarisse
August 17th, 2010, 08:15 AM
My hair likes sulphates but dislikes cones too!
Is it just me, or is everybody in this thread either F or M?
Edit: I just saw a few people with coarse hair now. Stupid me :P

Joliebaby
August 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Me too, sls shampoo and no cones.. though an occasional light cone doesn't bother me (or maybe I just haven't paid attention!)
I'm going to experiment with poo bars though as I already have a few :)

Igraine
August 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Chiming in too! I don't get good lather with sugar based detergents and CO works only once in a while, so SLS or Sodium Coco Sulphate is it for me. On the other hand cones built up and gave velcro ends, hair is much softer and happier now :)

bridgetsgirl
August 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
So it's not just me! After struggling with velcro ends for a while on CO, I found that this routine makes my hair soft with lots of slip. I'm still considering soapnuts and catnip, as well as miracle water, when I get home. If that doesn't pan out, I know this works for me. I use Suave shampoo ("waterfall" scented, IIRC) and V05 chamomile conditioner.

Othala
August 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Nope, I'm the other way around. I like cones (amodimethicone specifically) and no sulphates.

Annalouise
August 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the information! I was using the organic dessert essences fragrance free shampoo and conditioner. I quit using the shampoo because it made my scalp itch. I thought it might be the cocamidapropyl betaine because that can be irritating to the skin. But I didn't realize it has a sulphate until you said that.

When I examined the ingredients in this shampoo more closely I was not that impressed with it anymore. And it had way to much lather for me. I diluted it as per EdG's instructions (how he dilutes his shampoo) and I still had mad lather with it.

Then I decided to use the diluted shampoo to wash my dogs (big dirty labs) and it lathered like crazy on them!

So I switched to Johnson's natural baby shampoo and my head is not itchy anymore and I can go longer between washes.:)

Anyways, just thought I'd share that with you because you mentioned it had sulphates. I really liked it at first but over time I fell out of love with it. I did like that it is fragrance free though.:)

*I just checked on the Johnsons natural baby shampoo and it also contains sodium coco-sulphate. So I don't think it is the sulphate that gave me an itchy scalp but the cocamidapropyl betaine (which is an irritant so that makes sense). Sodium coco-sulphate has a rating of 0 on skin deep and is not known to be an irritant.

Yup, me. I use Desert Essence Organics, which contain sodium coco-sulfate (a less-refined version of SLS). My scalp loves it, and loves that they don't contain synthetic fragrance. But 'cones make my hair lank.

I agree with those here who said that cones gave them crunchy velcro ends.

rosyaddie
August 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I have really mixed hair- total volume, quite a bit- in the back, it's super thick and coarse- on the sides, its finer and thinner- and in the bangs area, thick and normal strand thickness. ^^

wvgemini
August 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Count me in! I tried the no sulfates and no cones and after a few days my hair had a little too much "goop" in it. I also love using coconut oil in it at night and I just need a little more oomph to get it out. Now, I just got home from working out and will probably use my SLS-free stuff to wash it now, but that's a once in a while thing.

MandaMom2Three
August 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Yup! My scalp seems to need sulfates! Hair doesn't (though I don't think it's the sulfates, it hates non-sulfate shampoo too) and as for cones....shudder: