PDA

View Full Version : Natural Lice Removal

angelthadiva
March 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
This was the information I gathered in my recent attempt to destroy these pesky buggers...I complied this information from various internet sources, so I can't give credit where it's due...I just wanted to post this, in case someone has the misfortune of having to deal with this issue...:o

I would also like to note that from personal experience, I have discovered that the box treatments don't work. Lice are becoming immune to the pesticides...Yes, I said pesticides! I would NEVER have used a toxic poison on my child; if I had known what I know now. :(

I would also like to mention that once I tried this natural method of lice removal, the lice was gone the very next day from my child...I did keep washing her bedding and nit combing her hair for 10 days in between the natural treatments. We had another lice breakout at the school about 2.5 weeks later; I once again used the natural method and the lice was gone by the end of the day. :D

Ps. Make sure you are purchasing your essential oils from a reputable vendor. I found the essential oils necessary for this remedy at my local health food store.

Essential oils are becoming a popular method to deal with childhood head lice. The pesticide treatments commonly used contain toxins that pose serious health threats. Because the scalp has many blood vessels close to the skin, these toxic substances are absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
Pesticide treatments which are commonly used to repel lice contain toxins that pose serious health threats. Because the scalp has many blood vessels close to the skin, these toxic substances are absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
Harmful side effects from chemical lice treatments include nervous system damage, convulsions, seizures, nausea, vomiting, headaches, mental confusion and even death. To make matters worse, these pesticides are becoming less effective as lice are developing a resistance to them. This often leads to repeated treatments. The additional exposure adds to the potential harm.

Head lice are highly contagious and very common among children. Because certain essential oils are highly effective against lice, there is absolutely no reason to expose children to dangerous pesticide treatment.

Laboratory tests (Veal 1996) show the essential oils of aniseed, cinnamon leaf, red thyme, tea tree, peppermint, nutmeg and oregano to be effective in killing live lice and their eggs. Other essential oils used to repel lice include lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, juniper berry, bergamot, clary sage, and lemongrass.

Tea tree oil may be the best choice for several reasons. Tea tree oil was found to be 93% effective against killing adult lice and 83% effective in killing their eggs. It is generally safe and is one of the only essential oils that can be used neat (undiluted) on the skin (in small amounts.) Tea tree oil can be used on children as young as one year old. Tea tree oil is so versatile that it should be on hand in every household. Having it on hand for other uses will prevent having to search for ingredients when dealing with a lice infestation that requires prompt action.
Many of the essential oils listed above should not be used on children. It is important to check safety data before using any essential oil. Oregano oil and red thyme oil should not be used at all. All essential oils, including tea tree should only be used by children on an "as needed" basis, and must be properly diluted.
Essential oils can be used both to rid the scalp of lice when an infestation is present and as a preventative measure when there is a potential threat.

TREATING THE HEAD LICE
These are a couple of tried and tested home remedies to treat head lice. Good luck, and remember to wash and clean all linen and furniture where the head rests.

*Aromatherapy Recipe*
2t Jojoba Oil
3T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10 drops of Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil
5 drops of Tea Tree Oil
Shower Cap

Mix well and saturate the entire head, cover with a shower cap for several hours, or overnight. Comb thoroughly with nit comb, then wash normally. You may need to wash twice to make sure all of the oils have been removed, this will also help to rinse the nits and lice out. Follow up with the final rinse recipe listed below.

FINAL RINSE
1-quart warm water
¼ cup cider vinegar
2-5 drops tea tree oil

Shake well to disperse essential oil. Pour over clean hair. Do not rinse out. When hair dries, saturate a nit comb with tea tree oil and re-comb.

LAUNDRY
Lice can remain alive for up to 72 hours after they have left the human host. Re-infestation can occur if lice remain on pillows, bed linen, combs, clothes and towels. Completely wash all clothing and bedding DAILY that the infected person has come in contact with. One teaspoon of tea tree oil can be added to each wash load. A few drops can be added to a washcloth and placed in the dryer with clothes and bedding. Dry on hottest setting available. Wash sheets, blankets, pillowcases, mattress pads, stuffed animals, scarves and any other washable item that might be infected in hot water. When they have washed, dry them in the dryer on the hottest setting for 30 minutes to an hour. This helps prevent re-infestation. Dry cleaning is another option. If you can’t wash or dry clean, all infected articles can be put into a large garbage bag, with as much air squeezed out as possible and tied off, and left for 2 weeks. The lack of oxygen will kill any lice and prevent a re-infestation. The garbage bag method is very useful in treating stuffed animals or large articles that would otherwise be too expensive to clean or can’t be washed.

SHAMPOO
During the weeks following lice infestation use the following shampoo formula. Add 2-4 drops of tea tree oil to your normal amount of shampoo for one use. Leave shampoo in for five minutes before rinsing out. Finish with final rinse. Comb with nit comb.

PREVENTATIVE MEASURES
To prevent lice from infesting your child's hair, especially if there is a potential threat, several precautions can be taken. The shampoo and rinse formula described above can be used for precautionary measures. Another quick method to deter potential lice infestation is to dab a few drops of tea tree oil on your fingertips and run your finger through child's hair.
Explain to your child why they shouldn't borrow someone else's comb, hairbrush, helmet, hat, or other things that might be infected. Warn your child about head to head contact with other children. When they know not to do these things, you can reduce their risk of becoming infected in the first place.
If they are in day care or elementary school get in a habit of checking their scalp for nits on a regular basis. Early detection will allow quicker relief with fewer side effects such as itching and scabbing.

In order to kill head lice on hairbrushes, combs, hair accessories, and similar items, place them in your sink. Stop the sink with a plug and boil some water in a tea kettle or pot. Place a few drops of eucalyptus or geranium oil in the sink with the items and pour the boiling water into the sink until it covers them. Allow this to soak for 30 minutes to an hour, and the head lice should be dead. You can also opt to trash all of these items and purchase new ones.

Tea tree oil is known as a "first aid kit in a bottle". If you keep a bottle on hand for possible lice infections, you will soon discover it's many other uses and benefits.

RULES THAT MUST BE ADHERED TO
*Contact the school or daycare your child attends as soon as possible.
*Don't let your child return to school until all lice are dead and been removed, from the whole family's hair.
*Treat everyone in the family, although some people may not have symptoms of lice.
*Notify the parents of any playmates the infested child may have come in contact with.
*Wash and disinfect all pillows and bed linen before and after the hair is treated.

Alley Cat
March 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Great information there angelthadiva:)
Lice are a major pain aren't they?
Actually I found the boxed treatments worked on my kids but I had trouble getting rid of the dead lice. I tried comb after comb. Then I bought a Nitty Gritty lice comb online. I used the conditioner and combed it out and all those dead lice disappeared. :hollie:
Apparently you can use the comb with conditioner as a treatment to remove lice without any other treatment as the comb destroys the eggs and removes the lice.
Your ideas were great but for my kids especially my daughter who hates the essential oils perhaps the comb and conditioner would be better. They haven't had lice since for me to try , hurrah for that.
It's great to have some alternatives though:flower:
I check my kids almost daily , more my daughter than my son as there is a girl in her class who constantly has untreated head lice. :mad

Alley Cat
March 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Actually the boxed treatments I used , had esssential oils as their ingredients to kill the lice, my daughter hated them though as they made her head sting a bit. :(

brok3nwings
March 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
that is a great information!

zift
March 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It's really great information,thanks! I have an experience in that one:o I got lice on my thick classic length wavy hair 1.5 years or so ago. And I have this fear or almost phobia of bugs and I love my hair and am trying to grow for so many years that I held onto everything I can find back than. I quit school ,life everything in order to get rid of those horrible parazites. I used the pesticide and they say it was enough for once and I did it twice and than found a live louse on my head. So it had to be resistant. Than I applied the olive oil treatment that Ursula suggested back than,thank you a bunch to this community and members. And I got rid of them for good. I don't even want to think of those days.

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Half diluted vinegar and dawn dishwashing liquid kills fleas, probably kills lice too- may not be very hair friendly though!

sibylla
March 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Great info!I must add Henna as a great anti lice treatment.

Beesweet
March 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM
The grocer at my Indian grocery, where I get my hair herbs and oils, said that his wife used Shikakai and neem powder to kill their daughter's lice after the drugstore stuff didn't work.

He thought I was buying those powders for lice and I was just getting them for homemade shampoo.

I have also heard that BAQ henna will take care of lice.

nowxisxforever
March 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
When I was younger, my dad would use a "natural" boxed treatment that was mostly tea tree oil. He'd make my sister and I put TTO in our shampoo/conditioner because the lice hate it.

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Gosh I wish I had this information a year ago. My girls had it terribly and the only option we saw was to give them buzz cuts (no flames please ... it was very traumatic for mom. The girls were fine with it.) The bonus is that the lice didn't come back and that the girls are growing from a clean slate so to speak. Their hair has come back nicely and, much to their excitement, is actually long enough for two ponys now. I will DEFINATELY print this out for future reference though. NEVER again will I use pesticides on my children OR cut!!

Thank you!!!

angelthadiva
March 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Oh, gosh, Sweetie! I wish you had it too! I was very frustrated, and can totally see why some people do that! If she were a boy, that's exactly what I would have done!

Onebeauty
April 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
It's really great information,thanks! I have an experience in that one:o I got lice on my thick classic length wavy hair 1.5 years or so ago. And I have this fear or almost phobia of bugs and I love my hair and am trying to grow for so many years that I held onto everything I can find back than. I quit school ,life everything in order to get rid of those horrible parazites. I used the pesticide and they say it was enough for once and I did it twice and than found a live louse on my head. So it had to be resistant. Than I applied the olive oil treatment that Ursula suggested back than,thank you a bunch to this community and members. And I got rid of them for good. I don't even want to think of those days.
\
How in the world did you manage to check your own hair? My dh and son have checked but I'm still freaked out about it. I mean, come on ... three of my five kids have it and they play all over the house. Probably freaking out but anyway.

Also, how the heck to you get them all out? I've combed and combed and I'm still seeing little white casings.

One more thing, what's with the different colors of eggs. I've seen white, brown and clear. What does that mean?

angelthadiva
April 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
\
How in the world did you manage to check your own hair? My dh and son have checked but I'm still freaked out about it. I mean, come on ... three of my five kids have it and they play all over the house. Probably freaking out but anyway.

Also, how the heck to you get them all out? I've combed and combed and I'm still seeing little white casings.

One more thing, what's with the different colors of eggs. I've seen white, brown and clear. What does that mean?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I might offer an answer. I couldn't go through my hair myself. DH had to do it for me. I had him look through my hair and iscolate what he *thought* was a nit and pull that hair out, so I could see it for myself...I did the treatments on my own hair, but when it came to the actual combing, he had to do that for me. I showed him how I was doing it on DD6 hair, and he did the same on mine.

They can appear yellow or tan before they hatch. After hatching the casing looks white or clear. It is easy to confuse nits for dandruff, but you can't remove nits by brushing or shaking the hair like you can w/dandruff.

Using ACV undilluted as a after wash rinse helps unstick the eggs. They have a sticky substance on the eggs that helps to keep them attached to the hair shaft...Also the ACV helps breakdown the exoskeletons of the eggs, so they are unable to hatch! :)

Good luck!

lora410
April 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks so much :flower: My DD starts kindergarden this year so I am sure this will be of great help :D

angelthadiva
April 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks so much :flower: My DD starts kindergarden this year so I am sure this will be of great help :D

Make sure you communicate w/the teacher! That is huge; after DD6 getting this twice, and us not knowing there was an outbreak in the class (and DH being faculty); we had a chat w/her teacher. She apologized and told us that she would let us know if there was even a hint of an outbreak, so we could take preventative steps (eg, heavy oiling/braids and updos)!!

Medvssa
April 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I got lice a few years ago from some kids... a single treatment of pure white wine vinegar and plenty of Tea Tree Oil (plus some Lavender and Thyme) worked like a charm. Stinky, but effective ;)

And to think about how difficult it was to get rid of lice when I was a kid... my parents only used some sort of insecticide shampoo. Everyone used that. Not really effective. It was a nightmare with the amount of curly hair I had...

zift
April 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
\

My BF and mother searched and searched and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my hair from the nits for weeks eeek I ofcourse couldn't check my own hair.:)

mooglewoo
December 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I thought I might revive this thread...

I use henna monthly, and an ACV rinse with TTO AFTER EVERY WASH, and I still got the little buggers!!!
They are becoming resistant, I guess.
Since TTO didn't work for me as a preventative measure I doubt it will work to get rid of them. I'm trying the box method tonight.

angelthadiva
December 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know how you were using it, but this works great for us.

SHAMPOO
During the weeks following lice infestation use the following shampoo formula. Add 2-4 drops of tea tree oil to your normal amount of shampoo for one use. Leave shampoo in for five minutes before rinsing out. Finish with final rinse. Comb with nit comb.

FINAL RINSE
1-quart warm water
¼ cup cider vinegar
2-5 drops tea tree oil

Shake well to disperse essential oil. Pour over clean hair. Do not rinse out. When hair dries, saturate a nit comb with tea tree oil and re-comb.

I wash DD's hair 2x a week, I follow this method one of those washings and the only time she's had lice this year was when I deviated from the routine.

Bluebell
December 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
As a primary school teacher I got lice as well. I always had my hair up and I had hennared hair. So the henna didn't prevent it. The nits got the colour of the henna so you have to look very good to find them!
I used the pesticideshampoo. Later on whenever I had an itch and thought it might be lice I used undiluted TTO. Just a drop on my finger and massage it in on the itchy spot.
I never had them again since.

When I hear of lice in my son's school I take a spraybottle, fill it with water and a few drops of TTO. Shake well and spray onto son's hair. I hope the smell keeps the lice off. He didn't have them yet.:)

mooglewoo
December 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know how you were using it, but this works great for us.

For over a year after every wash I've been using a mix of ACV, TTO, Clary Sage and Yarrow.
Maybe it wasn't enough TTO, I dunno.
I'll increase it from now on and hopefully once I comb out all these buggers, it'll keep them from re-infesting.

angelthadiva
December 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
For over a year after every wash I've been using a mix of ACV, TTO, Clary Sage and Yarrow.
Maybe it wasn't enough TTO, I dunno.
I'll increase it from now on and hopefully once I comb out all these buggers, it'll keep them from re-infesting.

I don't know about the clary sage and yarrow, but the TTO and cinnamon leaf EO is what they reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hate...Were you leaving the ACV mix on your hair w/o rinsing?

I don't know how much it is in ounces, but I use a child's size bucket like for the beach (DD uses it as a bath-time play toy); and fill that up with about 1/4c. ACV, dillute w/warm water and add about 5 drops of TTO.

Good luck!

mooglewoo
December 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Last night after RID'ing I used 1 tb TTO and 2 TB water, left it to dry. (I would have used it undiltued, but I'm low and use it on my skin twice a day).

Normally, I rinse out my ACV rinse.

Still some itchies, not sure if it's genuine or in my head.

Oskimosa
December 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I wouldn't say lice are IMMUNE to the treatments. The reason the treatments are completely useless is this:

Lice can shut down their respitory systems for up to 30 minutes. You are only to leave the treatment on your head for 10 minutes. The treatment works by attacking their respitory system.

Really, very smart whoever designed the treatment. :rolleyes:

I got lice from a girl I was babysitting (who didn't tell me she had them until AFTER I got them) and tried treatment after treatment. And I lost ALOT of hair to that stupid fine-toothed comb. I pulled out handfulls of hair :( This went on a couple of weeks until my Grandma said what she used to do for lice "in her day."

Turns out people were alot smarter in her day! I piled a jar of Miracle Whip (a mayonaise made with less oil, so it doesn't dribble so much) and wrapped saran wrap around my head. I left it on TWO HOURS to kill those suckers. It killed all the lice besides the eggs, of course, so I did the treatment weekly for 3 weeks. And my hair felt nice.

So, if you need a cheap way to treat lice, that's it. :)

ktani
December 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
I just posted this in a new thread I started but it really belongs in threads like this.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=388720&postcount=11

aprilmay
June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info! We are battling head lice in our household right now and I am having much difficulty combing them out of my hair. I want them gone.:(

angelthadiva
June 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the info! We are battling head lice in our household right now and I am having much difficulty combing them out of my hair. I want them gone.:(

I've been where you are! :flower: I had to enlist the help from my husband--Thankfully we have caught it rather quickly and were right on top of the treatments so they didn't get the chance to spread far.

Good luck! :flowers:

Milui Elenath
June 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Lice is why I ended up on LHC. I damaged my hair because I freaked out and was way too vigorous with the lice comb.

I found the lice myself because I casually combed with a lice comb and on the first brush found one! Naturally I assumed I was infested however in the end I found three and no eggs. I had several family members and a colleague (child care) check afterwards to be sure.

I used the conditioner treatment method to remove them which is suggested by my states health organisation. You apply conditioner which stuns the lice and then remove them mechanically with the comb. I did this and removed another one lice, after the intial one.

After drying I went through again and found another one. At this point I was less freaked so I experimented on it and put it in tea tree oil. (I feel slack writing about experimenting on bugs but at the time I hated the horrible things.) The tea tree oil seemed to kill the lice after about 5 mins.

I applied conditioner again with tea tree oil ratio about 10 drops to 25mls. For a younger child I would go less drops. I left it on for half and hour, then combed gently. (the damage to my hair had already been done previously :( ) Then washed out. I did not find any more after this.

I would use this method again. You definitely need a metal lice comb - or a metal flea comb (that's what I used actually :o ) Plastic combs bend too much.

You also need to check again at seven days and fourteen days in case you've missed eggs that have hatched. If you don't find any your likely safe, if you do you'll need to repeat the process.

I will add that tea tree oil can sometimes trigger asthma. For me it does and I knew this at the time but took the risk to get rid of them. Although its a once of treatment it is good to be aware of this if you suffer acutely.