PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Type My Hair

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to determine if I've typed my hair correctly in my profile.

These pictures are after a straightening... you can still see some of the wave that just seems to happen to my undergrowth hair.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/MNoelH/Hair/Hairwithyardstick.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/MNoelH/Hair/Hairwithchair.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/MNoelH/Hair/Hairwithmeasuringtape.jpg

I took these pics back in March when I was considering selling my hair. Since I discovered this place, I'm thinking I'm not ready to cut yet.

MissManda
August 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
For hair typing, you need to give your hair a clarifying wash and allow it to air dry with minimal manipulation and no products. Hope that helps.

But I must say your hair looks quite healthy and shiny. :flower: I really like your wavy underlayer, too.

loralie
August 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Oh man, your hair is so so beautiful!!! Don't cut it! I really really hope my hair will make it to your length. So stunning! :)

I'm not much of help with hairtyping, but letting it dry without manipulation would make it easier to tell. You've got quite a nice ripple of a wave there on that under-bit that isn't straight, I bet it looks gorgeous wavy too!

And man you've got great nails. You go girl!

Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here!

plainjanegirl
August 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Yes to truly hairtype your hair it needs to be freshly washed and let it air dry. I never did properly hairtype mine cause if I let my hair dry after washing without combing it will be a tangled mess. I just know I am kinda a mix of 1/2 hair. What kind of products and routine do you have going with your hair ? Cause it looks great !

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yes to truly hairtype your hair it needs to be freshly washed and let it air dry. I never did properly hairtype mine cause if I let my hair dry after washing without combing it will be a tangled mess. I just know I am kinda a mix of 1/2 hair. What kind of products and routine do you have going with your hair ? Cause it looks great !

Back then I mostly washed with whatever shampoo was on sale. I washed/conditioned at night and then when I woke up in the morning I would finish drying with a blow dryer and paddle brush to take the wrinkles out a bit. I also have a wet to dry straightener that I would use every once in a while (which I used the morning of that picture). When I bought the straightener, it was suggested that I use a protector, so I would faithfully put got2b crazysleek hot smooth flat iron & blow dry lotion on before using it.

So all in all, not much of a regimen.

ETA:

I finally have 25 posts. Am I going to be able to see pictures now?

w00t!

StephanieB
August 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately, you'll have to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo first, and let it drip dry (air dry) without combing or brushing or drying or doing anything else to it, if you want to hairtype correctly.

You can always condition or deep condition it after you've typed it (or taken a pic of it), if it tangles.

But by virtue of having straightened it for those pix, you have changed what it looks like naturally. HTH :)

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Suggestions of a clarifying shampoo? I've been CO washing only for almost two months.

StephanieB
August 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry. I don't use clarifying shampoos, so I can't help you much...

But I'm sure that someone else will come along and help you out. :)

Are you just starting out with CO?

Is it important enough to need to type your hair now, if you have been having a difficult time accustoming your hair to CO? (If not, then the question is irrelevant.)

zenobia
August 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
You can use baking soda to clarify your hair. It's cheap and easy. I hope that helps.

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry. I don't use clarifying shampoos, so I can't help you much...

But I'm sure that someone else will come along and help you out. :)

Are you just starting out with CO?

Is it important enough to need to type your hair now, if you have been having a difficult time accustoming your hair to CO? (If not, then the question is irrelevant.)

I've been CO washing for almost two months. My hair took to it instantly (and I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right yet). I've had no need to do more than one CO wash, leaving it on for five to ten minutes and then rinse. When I rinse, I'm getting the squeak of clean hair and have seen no need to waste more conditioner on a second go round.

The only slight problem I'm having is that I have to wash a bit more frequently. I'm washing every other day instead of my normal cheap shampoo and conditioner routine of every third or fourth day.

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM
You can use baking soda to clarify your hair. It's cheap and easy. I hope that helps.

I'm gonna need some help with this. Make it into a paste with some water and distribute it through my hair and then rinse? Do I need to leave it on and rub it in like I do with the CO wash?

Lianna
August 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Maybe this can help you, if not, post again with air dried hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164