PDA

View Full Version : Let It Be for 60 Challenge

oceanwoman111
August 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hello!! :waving: I'd like to hit the hair restart button. Does anyone want to join me? I've tried almost everything since joining in February. CO, CWC, No-Cones, No Sulphates, Oiling, Scalp massage, No heat etc. I'd like to try ignoring it for a while. It will be hard since I love doing all kinds treatments to my hair.

60 days -

I figure we can go about our normal wash routine ,but stop there
No blowdry or heat
No oil except what comes out of our heads
No trims or S & D
Wash as little as possible.

Basically, just leave it be in it's natural state. It will be interesting to see if all of the things we've been doing really make a difference.

Please feel free to add anything!! :)

JenniferNoel
August 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Heh, I feel like I've already been doing this.
Count me in.

oceanwoman111
August 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hello Jennifer Noel. Thanks for joining!! It's nice knowing I'm not in this alone. The idea popped in my head when I was looking at my mother's hair. She doesn't do anything besides wash and occasionally condition and hers looks ridiculously healthy!! I asked her, "What are you doing?" She said, "Nothing." "I just leave it alone."

I just haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it when I have a show. Nothing, I guess until October 14th. lol!!

cindy58
August 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
So often when people are crying about hair disasters, the honest solution would be "leave your hair alone for awhile"! So you've got a winning idea going here!

tanya222
August 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hm, I'm already doing most of that list, except for the oil part. I can't imagine having to deal with my hair without my coconut oil! Pouf Central!

christine1989
August 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
This is a great idea! I think doing things to your hair in order to "fix it" often makes it even worse so letting it be is a great solution. My hair is dry as a bone without coconut or jojoba oil but other than that I think I will just put it up and leave it alone too :).

Addy
August 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I fit into this category too. I don't do anything to my hair anymore and just leave it be. Sometimes, my boyfriend says I don't even comb it which is a LIE! I do that once a day! :D

sibiryachka
August 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
If I weren't a hennahead, I'd be down for this... but 60 days would mean 30 days of *hating* my roots! I waited 6 weeks before my most recent treatment, instead of my usual 4, and every day for the last 2 I cussed at myself in the mirror. Maybe I'll just do my own modified version: Let it be except for root touchups ;)

In2wishin
August 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I am in for this. I call this "benign neglect" and I found over the years that my hair actually responds well to it.

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I cannot promise no oiling. But I can promise not to experiment with oils as I did last week and I can promise to postpone honey experiment.
And one more thing, the most important. I promise not to look back at the mirror to check the length. I will "let it grow" - my version of the challenge:)
So CWC and oiling are on. No experiments, no checking the length every hour.

Izaria
August 16th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I dont do much with my hair ( only wash with sulfate free organic shampoo and condish) and sine i stoped messing with it my hair has been heaps better XD

Phexlyn
August 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM
That sounds like an interesting experiment, and can give you a nice break from experimenting (and obsessing ;) ). I'm trying to put up a routine again, so not for me at the moment, but I'm curious what your results will be.
Best of luck with your benign neglect! :)

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 05:39 AM
That sounds like an interesting experiment, and can give you a nice break from experimenting (and obsessing ;) ). I'm trying to put up a routine again, so not for me at the moment, but I'm curious what your results will be.
Best of luck with your benign neglect! :)

That's exactly why I am doing this. I need to stop obsessing! :D

Capybara
August 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hmm, thinking back on my routine, I think I may already be doing a modified version of this as well!

I CWC (although the products may change, I'm not always the one to buy the shampoo/conditioner), don't blow dry, barely trim (once every 6-9 months), and only S&D when I'm waiting for appointments and things. (I keep a pair of hair scissors in my purse expressly for this purpose, but they barely get used!) The only difference (unless I'm mistaken) is that I oil like crazy. My hair really likes oil, it's part of my regular washing routine, so I think I can keep doing it :p

ETA: For what it's worth, I haven't measured since February. I judge my progress by the milestones I have hit on my body :)

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hmm, thinking back on my routine, I think I may already be doing a modified version of this as well!

I CWC (although the products may change, I'm not always the one to buy the shampoo/conditioner), don't blow dry, barely trim (once every 6-9 months), and only S&D when I'm waiting for appointments and things. (I keep a pair of hair scissors in my purse expressly for this purpose, but they barely get used!) The only difference (unless I'm mistaken) is that I oil like crazy. My hair really likes oil, it's part of my regular washing routine, so I think I can keep doing it :p

ETA: For what it's worth, I haven't measured since February. I judge my progress by the milestones I have hit on my body :)

I like the idea of S&D missions during waiting for an appointment:D:D

Same here about oiling. I cannot give it up as it is a part of my routine. But I can promise not looking obsessively in the mirror, not experimenting and I can even forget about S&D for 60 days! :)

Peggy E.
August 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM
If I weren't a hennahead, I'd be down for this... but 60 days would mean 30 days of *hating* my roots! I waited 6 weeks before my most recent treatment, instead of my usual 4, and every day for the last 2 I cussed at myself in the mirror. Maybe I'll just do my own modified version: Let it be except for root touchups ;)

Easy solution here - don't look in a mirror! ;o)

This is pretty much what I do with my hair now, anyway, nothing! I was in the No Water Sebum Only challenge and loved how my hair reacted to it. Now, THERE'S the ultimate "Leave It Alone!" experience!!!

JesusFreak88
August 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm in as long as I can still play with updo's/other fun styles.

SharkDisco
August 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm in! All this fiddling with my hair is doing is draining my bank account and driving me crazy. In 60 days my hair will be 2" longer (thank god it grows like a weed), and then I can hack some of this damage off without losing too much length.

oceanwoman111
August 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for joining in!! I'm doing so many different experiments at once that I'm not sure what works and what doesn't anymore. So we start with a clean slate.

Cindy58 - Thank you!!I think we're on to something. :flowers:.

Tanya222 - I know. I'm worried about not oiling too. My hair is really dry especially at the ends , but I figure if they are really bad at the end of 60, I will give them a little trim.

Christine1989 - Yes. I've been doing so much that I don't know what works and what doesn't. After I give my hair this rest period, I'll take it slowly.

Addy - LOL!! My Bf's sister barely combs hers and it's in excellent condition. I think it's the way to go. She puts it up a lot too.

oceanwoman111
August 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Easy solution here - don't look in a mirror! ;o)

This is pretty much what I do with my hair now, anyway, nothing! I was in the No Water Sebum Only challenge and loved how my hair reacted to it. Now, THERE'S the ultimate "Leave It Alone!" experience!!!

Peggy E, I love it!!! I could really do with a little less looking in the mirror at the back of my head.

"No Water Sebum Only" would be the ultimate "leaving it alone" experience. :agree:
Maybe I will try this as well. :thumbsup: Thanks!!

oceanwoman111
August 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Sibiryachka - Yes, sometimes less is more. At least you'll know how your hair is reacting to the other treatments.

In2wishin - I've always messed with my hair ,even before LHC, so it will be nice to try some "benign neglect." The time period when it was the longest I had a really good diet and left it alone.

Henrietta - It will be nice to stop looking in the mirror and thinking, "It's not growing.":( I've been obsessing too, will be good to take a little break. :agree:
Hmmm, what to obsess about now?

Izaria - Thanks for the encouragement. I hope we have the same results as you do. We'll keep up posted with the progress. I can't imagine a week without oiling.

oceanwoman111
August 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks Phexlyn, it should be interesting. :) We'll keep you posted.

JesusFreak88 - Feel free to style away!!

JesusFreak88
August 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM
:happydance:

Wow that is my 100th post

sibiryachka
August 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
My version of the challenge will be to go about my usual routine for 60 days, which includes a henna treatment every 4 weeks, to be followed by a necessary moisture treatment. But no experimenting, no oiling or other treatments, and no S&D. I did do "one last" S&D session this morning, and am happy to report that far less destruction than expected was necessary - very encouraging.
Now that that's done, I'm officially in until 10/17!

JesusFreak88
August 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have to back out. I finally got Coconut oil and I want to expirament with it.

LadyVictoria
August 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Count me in! I need a break from the obsession... What will I do with all this extra time?

Pixna
August 18th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I pretty much do that already. I do not trim. I use only VERY diluted shampoo and no conditioner -- just an ACV rinse. I can't do no oil because a teensy amount of oil IS my conditioner. I wash as infrequently as possible (about every 5 days). I don't blow dry or use heat of any kind (never have). My hair is about as natural as I can get it. I just bun it daily and forget about it. So, 60 days will be a breeze for me. I think I've already long surpassed that! :smirk:

HuggyBear
August 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I had been letting my hair be for years prior to finding LHC again. I thought my hair was "okay" before joining LHC, but then I started using honey treatments & coconut oil. Wow! Just these two things (miracles) have made a tremendous difference in my hair (I posted comparison pics on the honey lightening thread). In less than 3 weeks, my hair has been almost completely transformed, I cannot give them up. But I have decided to initiate a mini-challenge to myself and stop experimenting with different shampoos/conditioners. I am going to stick with my CWC routine using good, cheap Suave and let that be. :)

Good luck to you all!

oceanwoman111
August 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hello Jesusfreak88, thanks for you honesty. Is it your first time trying coconut oil? It works very well. :)

Welcome Lady Victoria, I've been asking myself the same question. :agree:

Hello Pixna! Great to have you join in. You are already a pro at this. You're an inspiration for those of us who get the urge to fiddle. :flower:

Welcome Aboard Huggybear! You have a great idea there. It all goes down when you're standing alone in the hair aisle, looking around and thinking, "Hmm, I wonder what this one would do?"

oceanwoman111
August 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
So far, so good. I had to stop myself from doing the little mirror peak around today. I won't write too much because that would be contradictory to the "forget about it" principle. :wink:

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I need to quit the challenge... I cannot just let it be;) My hair needs deep treatments and I have clarifying and a trim and a deep treatment scheduled soon... I failed already. I was looking in the mirror anyways. I am bad at it, I know.
But, after all, I will be there, still, to support you, guys! :):)

Pixna
August 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm still in. I was thinking the other day how quiet the thread has been. But I guess if we're all not doing anything, we don't have anything to report! :smirk:

sibiryachka
August 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I had a slight change in routine this morning, but it was out of necessity, *not* an experiment: I was out of clean hair towels, so I used an old t-shirt to contain my wet hair after I showered. I don't really think it counts against me :D Otherwise, so far so good...

oceanwoman111
August 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hello!! :waving: I've been tempted to oil my ends ,but I didn't give in. My hair is in surprisingly good condition. I like seeing it in it's natural state. I'm really able to see the point where the chemical damage begins. After this challenge, I plan to trim to get rid the last 2 inches of damage for once and for all.

How is everyone else doing?

oceanwoman111
August 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I need to quit the challenge... I cannot just let it be;) My hair needs deep treatments and I have clarifying and a trim and a deep treatment scheduled soon... I failed already. I was looking in the mirror anyways. I am bad at it, I know.
But, after all, I will be there, still, to support you, guys! :):)

Thanks Henrietta. :) It's understandable. I'm really missing scalp massage and deep conditioning treatments. I love experimenting so it's been a challenge. :agree: Keep in touch!!

oceanwoman111
August 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I was thinking that maybe we could all post a pic at the end of the challenge to see if there are any noticeable differences. My finish date is October 14th. I will post a pic then.
Oh my, the entire month of September to go.

My scalp seems happier. I can go much longer without being greasy. I think I was using too much oil on the scalp and might just use it for the ends in the future.

Has anyone decided to make changes in their future routines, after the challenge?

sycamoreboutiqu
August 29th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Hello all.

I think I have also been doing this by default (except the checking around back
to see where the length is).

I started the no shampoo route when I switched to henna color 1 1/2 yrs ago - and so glad I did. I cut back on shampooing gradually over this time also, and just this week I realized I made it to 6 days between washing without it being noticeable.

I never, never brush - hair is too thick and wavy/curly - and usually do not even comb it, just finger-comb during rinsing and while air drying. I managed to snap in half the last comb I bought - a super wide-spaced toothed thing with a heavy duty handle no less.

My hair has NEVER been in better shape (or ever this long that I can remember).

Neglect really does work.

I do use regular typel conditioners (and loads of them) - but no oils.

I shampoo with African Black soap (fabulous stuff) and use ACV rinse afterwards.

I do occasionally use a cone smoother, but only because it is from of my own line of products - Perfume mist that I also use as a hair fragrance. The base of it works well as an anti-frizz product.

oceanwoman111
September 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hello all.

I think I have also been doing this by default (except the checking around back
to see where the length is).

I started the no shampoo route when I switched to henna color 1 1/2 yrs ago - and so glad I did. I cut back on shampooing gradually over this time also, and just this week I realized I made it to 6 days between washing without it being noticeable.

I never, never brush - hair is too thick and wavy/curly - and usually do not even comb it, just finger-comb during rinsing and while air drying. I managed to snap in half the last comb I bought - a super wide-spaced toothed thing with a heavy duty handle no less.

My hair has NEVER been in better shape (or ever this long that I can remember).

Neglect really does work.

Welcome!! Lets hope it works this well for all of us. Your hair is gorgeous!! :flower:

sibiryachka
October 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Bumping! Did we all get so relaxed that we forgot 60 days was up? :p This has been extremely educational - but I've been itching to get experimental again.
Lessons learned include:
- Pre-wash oiling is not a step I should leave out.
- I can get away with S&D less often than I've been doing it.
- Algae/kelp in conditioner = protein, and it is not my ends' friend.
- Having slightly crunchy ends for a few days is not the end of the world.

Capybara
October 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
That sure didn't seem like 60 days :p Guess I should have been paying better attention!

Well, I finally let myself look in the mirror and really see where my hair was. It seems like it's grown a bit! :cheese:

I did S&D this afternoon, and definitely should keep doing it often. It was nice to let it go for a while, and not worry about what my ends looked like, however I think I will go back to my more regular S&D schedule :) Just to keep things under control.

I did (as I stated in my earlier post) continue to oil my hair, but only before washes. And I've discovered that after two months without SMT's/deep treatments my hair was still healthy and hearty. This was pleasant!

I'd definitely do this again (this was the perfect time of year for me to do it, back to the ole' grind), maybe next fall. I'll just do a little S&D halfway through to keep the monster splits at bay ;)

LoversLullaby
October 16th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm so in. I have been noctorious (spelling?) for messing with my hair ALL the time. Basically I'm going to wash it only when necessary, oil after and before a wash, and put up everyday, and no taking it down until nighttime when it's time for bed. I've been doing deep treatments, scalp massage, you name it, and now, I'm just ready to keep it simple for awhile. So I will be following this challenge except for no oiling, because my hair really benefits from coconut oil. :)

x0h_bother
October 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I think the challenge ended, but this is a great idea to structure in benign neglect! I really should take tips from this thread. :blossom:

oceanwoman111
November 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I will post some pics that I took after this challenge. It was really good for me to realize that I don't have to put soooo much effort. Hair grows. I really missed oiling though. I also realized the importance of supplementation. I will post pics soon!! Thank you to everyone who joined in. Let me know if you've had any developments. Thanks!! :flowers:

oceanwoman111
November 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
As promised, here is a pic after our 60 day challenge. :flowers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6664&pictureid=88710

Madora
November 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've been followin' that routine for decades!:)

Pixna
November 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks, oceanwoman111! Whatever you're doing -- or not doing :) -- is definitely working! :D

Demetrue
November 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Okay, I'm in! I have not trimmed or colored my hair in 2 weeks. I am trying to let various natural roots grow in - white in front and dark blonde/light brown in back. This is a big challenge for me because I am always tweaking something. I am not good at patiently leaving things alone - argh!

oceanwoman - your hair looks amazing - doing nothing must be do something right!