PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to introduce you a new haircolour- blonette!

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Actually, Tangerine found it a magazine. It's blond+brunette. Great word for those of use who don't know how to call our colours. Dark blonde or light brown? Like me. How do you like it? I am officially blonette!

Sarahmoon
August 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Just looked at your album. Indeed it looks very blonde in some pics and almost dark brown in others. Cool, you're versatile :flowers:

Tangerine
August 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM
He he Henrietta, you've started the blonette campaign! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

:D

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
He he Henrietta, you've started the blonette campaign! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

:D

Yeah:) "Campaign" is a good word here. I cannot wait for people's reactions;)

Sarahmoon, thank you! :flowers: :flowers: I should start thinking about my hair colour this way instead of being sad because it's boring. *Versatile...*Thank you!

Sarahmoon
August 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Different colour every day! I don't see how that's boring :p

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Different colour every day! I don't see how that's boring :p

I used to hate it because people were telling me that my haircolour looks like a water after washing up after a big party:(

Joliebaby
August 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm just happy being Dark Blonde, thanks :)
I guess I'm just tired everyone trying to make up names to make it "sound better".
Blonette must be the best I've heard so far hehe :)

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
haha, blonette, do I count as one? I guess no... cool name though:)))

Sarahmoon
August 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Dark blonde isn't a bad name.

Maybe those nasty people were just being jealous, just like people saying stupid things about redheads. Or they get annoyed because they can't agree among themselves whether you have blonde or brown hair.

Depends on where you are and what people are used to as well. I've met someone who thought I was blonde though I'm pretty convinced my hair is brown. And in California my hair might pass as almost-black, who knows :laugh:

ArienEllariel
August 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Woot! Blonette. :)

Wait, why does that remind me of Lunette the clown from the Big Comfy Couch? O_o

Naamah
August 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Blonette works for me! :) Sometimes my hair looks blonde, sometimes brown. You can see in my pictures.

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm just happy being Dark Blonde, thanks :)
I guess I'm just tired everyone trying to make up names to make it "sound better".
Blonette must be the best I've heard so far hehe :)

Hey! Who said that "dark blonde" sounds bad?:) I like it too. Sounds mysterious, almost like an oxymoron.

Katze
August 16th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I am definitely, definitely blonde in my own mind. But most people call my hair brown. In some pictures it looks really dark brown, but in the mirror under artificial lighting it looks dark ash blonde. Whether or not I have washed it, and what I have washed it with, makes a HUGE difference in the color.

My eyebrows are blonde and I was blonde as a kid, then bleached for over two decades. 'Dark blonde' or 'Dirty blonde' or 'dishwater' colored hair (here they say 'like a stray dog'!) has a bad image, and the only reason I can see for this is that they want to sell us bleach and dye and then the products to 'repair' our hair from such processes (as if that were possible)!. Now, I think my natural hair color looks better than that orangy blonde ever did.

My term for my hair is 'hair colored' or 'puma colored' or 'tawny' (there was a thread about 'tawny' I think...). Blonette sounds a bit too girly-ditzy for my taste...

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I am definitely, definitely blonde in my own mind. But most people call my hair brown. In some pictures it looks really dark brown, but in the mirror under artificial lighting it looks dark ash blonde. Whether or not I have washed it, and what I have washed it with, makes a HUGE difference in the color.

My eyebrows are blonde and I was blonde as a kid, then bleached for over two decades. 'Dark blonde' or 'Dirty blonde' or 'dishwater' colored hair (here they say 'like a stray dog'!) has a bad image, and the only reason I can see for this is that they want to sell us bleach and dye and then the products to 'repair' our hair from such processes (as if that were possible)!. Now, I think my natural hair color looks better than that orangy blonde ever did.

My term for my hair is 'hair colored' or 'puma colored' or 'tawny' (there was a thread about 'tawny' I think...). Blonette sounds a bit too girly-ditzy for my taste...

Good point! I have never thought about it like that...

Tangerine
August 16th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Personally, I've always referred to my hair as dark blonde (never thought of it as an oxymoron Henrietta, ha! I like it!). It is only in recent years that my hair actually seems to become more brown (although with dark blonde, blonde and copper mixed in).

Blonette is indeed a bit "girly-ditsy" - I read it in a magazine called Grazia which seems to be all about ditzy celeb on trend stuff (although this was an old magazine left behind in the cottage we rented on our holidays - so we may well be completely off trend with this term by now :p ) - so for me it was more a silly tongue-in-cheek thing.

Tawny sounds good - reminds me of hot fado-filled nights in Lisboa sherry bars :D

smileycat
August 16th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I usually refer to my hair as dark blonde or sometimes "brownish" blonde. Someone called me a dishwater blonde several years ago, and I was quite offended! I quit having it colored eighteen months ago because I was tired of the damage and struggled through a bit of an adjustment period to my darker hair. Hey, we blondes naturally darken with age, so maybe I was struggling somewhat with aging. Anyway, I definitely fell into the category of missing the lighter color of my youth! Now, however, I've come to love the changing tones in my hair, and it helps that my boyfriend tells me how unique my hair is and that now I do not look like everyone else around here with dried out highlights. My youngest is learning opposites, and he tells me my hair is "dark up there" at the crown and "light down there" at the ends, ha ha! Kids are so honest sometimes! I'll stick with dark blonde! Most of the time I just let people call it whatever they want.

Joliebaby
August 16th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Why do you think "dark blonde" has a bad image?
Dark Blonde - The Best of Both Worlds :D

Here's a link to a thread I started, about the way I think about dark blonde:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53525

Tangerine
August 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Why do you think "dark blonde" has a bad image?
Dark Blonde - The Best of Both Worlds :D

Here's a link to a thread I started, about the way I think about dark blonde:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53525

I've never noticed negativity regarding dark blonde either. But then I don't think I pick up on stuff like that quickly anyway!

"Best of Both Worlds": I like it! :D

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I've never noticed negativity regarding dark blonde either. But then I don't think I pick up on stuff like that quickly anyway!

"Best of Both Worlds": I like it! :D

I like it too:) We can call it "dark blonde" one day and "light brown" the other day ;) And it sounds magic- "both worlds..." Mmmm...:)

Barniie
August 16th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Did anyone else notice that ALL hair colours (except red) start with B? Bleached, Blonde, Brown, Brunette and Black. I call this colour Bronde, but I like yours much better! (btw this is my favourite hair colour. ever.)

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Did anyone else notice that ALL hair colours (except red) start with B? Bleached, Blonde, Brown, Brunette and Black. I call this colour Bronde, but I like yours much better! (btw this is my favourite hair colour. ever.)

Indeed! I haven't noticed that! In Polish it's a little bit diffferent, though:D

Bianca
August 16th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I think i'm a blonette. But always get's called blonde/golden blonde, and seem to be a bit lighter than the rest posting in here. But inside it can look quite dark :p

Crysania
August 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
i dont see why blonette though ? i dont see the brown correlation in blonette only the blonde ?

ive heard blondinette for blondes and brunettes for brown hair but i dont see where the brown stands in blonette ??

Peggy E.
August 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I used to hate it because people were telling me that my haircolour looks like a water after washing up after a big party:(

Boy, what nice friends you have!???

And now that my hair is all gray/silver there's finally a name for the color it was all those many years, for I was absolutely a "blonette!" (And it NEVER looked like the dish water following washing up after a big party" either!)

Joliebaby
August 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
i dont see why blonette though ? i dont see the brown correlation in blonette only the blonde ?

ive heard blondinette for blondes and brunettes for brown hair but i dont see where the brown stands in blonette ??

I think it's because blonde + brunette = blonette :)

Brunettes are not called browns or brownies after all :eyebrows:

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I think it's because blonde + brunette = blonette :)

Brunettes are not called browns or brownies after all :eyebrows:

Let's make it clear. Until last week I was sure that black is black, brown means the same as brunette and blonde is blonde, red is red. But someone told me that "brunette" refers to black, not brown. Now I am not sure.

alwayssmiling
August 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
My daughter's is this colour - she will be pleased it has a name. I would describe it as a dark sandy blonde. Its very beautiful - wavy, thick and down to her waist too! Lucky girl.

Tabihito
August 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Haha, oh wow, I'm going to have to tell my brothers about this one. The younger of the two is still definitely blonde, but the older one is caught in this in-between. His eyebrows are almost black though, so we're figuring he's like my dad and will end up with the super-dark hair eventually. (My dad's half Cherokee, had lightish brown hair as a kid, went completely black by the time he started college.)

As for myself, well, I'm firmly in brunette territory. But I will amuse myself with the knowledge of this new term nonetheless.

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Let's make it clear. Until last week I was sure that black is black, brown means the same as brunette and blonde is blonde, red is red. But someone told me that "brunette" refers to black, not brown. Now I am not sure.

I checked lexicons and encyclopedias. It looks like brown is brown, brunette means very dark brown, and black is black. Ha!

x0h_bother
August 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I checked lexicons and encyclopedias. It looks like brown is brown, brunette means very dark brown, and black is black. Ha!
Interesting. I always knew I was brunette not brown, but I thought brunette was anything minus blonde minus red and possibly black. So am I a true brunette?
Blonette is a great name because there are too many browns in the brown range, I get nervous trying to use accurate and sensitive verbage about people's hair color.

Sarahmoon
August 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Not in my language! :p

Capybara
August 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I actually heard of this term before! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4969&pictureid=65049
It's what I refer to as my haircolour as well :D

Henrietta
August 17th, 2010, 02:00 AM

I am sorry... What was wrong with me when I was writing that? I must have been sleepy.

Brunette means totally black hair of course, NOT dark brown, even if it is very very dark brown. "Brunette" refers only to completely black hair.
Only in Polish we have a special term for dark brown and two terms for black hair, that's why I made a mistake:D

Joliebaby
August 17th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I am sorry... What was wrong with me when I was writing that? I must have been sleepy.

Brunette means totally black hair of course, NOT dark brown, even if it is very very dark brown. "Brunette" refers only to completely black hair.
Only in Polish we have a special term for dark brown and two terms for black hair, that's why I made a mistake:D

Not where I live , here brunette is definitely BROWN, in different shades. :p

Tangerine
August 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I always assumed brunette is just a term denoting a woman with brown hair. :o (Can a man be brunette?)

Anyways, I don't think I have ever seen or heard black hair being referred to as brunette.

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I always assumed brunette is just a term denoting a woman with brown hair. :o (Can a man be brunette?)

Anyways, I don't think I have ever seen or heard black hair being referred to as brunette.

I don't think there is a special term for men, indedd;) Funny observation. There's just "dark-haired man" description.

Joliebaby, you destroyed my certainty:D:D It's more complicated than I thought. In Poland we can of course say "black haired person" but "brunette" is also commonly used and we also have a special term for dark-brown-almost-black haired people -"szatyn/szatynka". That's why I made a mistake:D Then lighten brown tones are called just brown and blonde is blonde. But I am sure here "brunette" refers to black only.

MissManda
August 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_hair), there is indeed a masculine version of brunette, which is brunet or brun. :) I don't see these words used frequently, however.

Where I live, brunette usually refers to a woman with some shade of brown hair. I also have never seen someone with black hair being referred to as brunette. It is amazing how varied languages can be. :)

I am not blonette, just a medium brown color, although one hairstylist told me that I have dark blonde hair. I strongly disagree with that. I was born with dark brown hair and I cannot possibly see myself as having blonde hair.

invisiblebabe
August 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I call my natural color cendre, but the platinum highlights I get bring it into the blonde category ;)

ifyouforget
August 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I call my natural color cendre, but the platinum highlights I get bring it into the blonde category ;)

Ok, dumb question...what on earth is cendre?

Also, Brunette can mean black? but, but....brun is french for brown! and brunette is the feminine of brun, and *head explodes*

Colors are so confusing. Thank goodness my hair is very un-confusing dark brown.

Antipodienne
August 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Excellent! I've always called it "hair-colored" hair, but for some reason nobody seems to understand that. Yay for Blonette!

invisiblebabe
August 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Ok, dumb question...what on earth is cendre?

Also, Brunette can mean black? but, but....brun is french for brown! and brunette is the feminine of brun, and *head explodes*

Colors are so confusing. Thank goodness my hair is very un-confusing dark brown.

Cendre is the French word for "ash" and is also used to describe dark blonde to light brown hair with ash tones in it :)

ifyouforget
August 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Aha! That makes sense, thanks invisiblebabe

Aredhel77
August 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Woot! Blonette. :)

Wait, why does that remind me of Lunette the clown from the Big Comfy Couch? O_o

I think my natural hair colour would probably be classed then as 'bronette' LOL! Wonder if I'll ever go back to it...?