PDA

View Full Version : Damaging sock bun?

Octave
August 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Though I haven't tried doing to real sock bun yet, I'm still concerned that I won't be able to tuck in or even wrap my ends(which are really thick) around the bun. Every single time I try to do a hairdo which requires tucking in the ends, mine just bounce straight back out or refuse even to be tucked. So whatever I try to do fails. :(

Anyways back to the point with this thread...
I found this video on Youtube with this girl doing the suck bun a little bit differently(which would perhaps work for me).
Fast forward to about 3:38:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM
However my concern is that it might be damaging for the hair to be twisted/wrapped around the bun like that. What do you think? Do you have any other good advice for those with thick ends who wish to try out the famous sock bun?

StephanieB
August 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I found this video on Youtube with this girl doing the suck bun a little bit differently(which would perhaps work for me).
Fast forward to about 3:38:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM
However my concern is that it might be damaging for the hair to be twisted/wrapped around the bun like that. What do you think? Do you have any other good advice for those with thick ends who wish to try out the famous sock bun?

Here is LHC's entire thread on Loepsie's fully-rolled sock bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49564&highlight=loepsie+fully+rolled+sock). Everything you might want to know about this bun is in that thread. HTH

(better to keep it to the one thread, so all info on it - and comments and questions - are all together) :)

As to your second question - I can't think of any other 'tricks' to tuck thicker ends into the regular kind of sock bun... just lots and lots of hair pins (or mini jaw clips).

Octave
August 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Oh thank you very much for the link to that thread, will take a deeper look into it. :)
Thanks again :flower:

Sarahmoon
August 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I tried the fully rolled sock bun and after two rolls I quit because I got a massive tangled mess already. I don't understand how other people do that.

Aevra
August 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Stephanie beat me to it...Loepsie's sock bun is AMAZING. I tried it on my hair...and contrary to my photo, it's now at my lower back, and my bun was huge and didn't have to tuck any ends. It worked really well for me.

Of course you have to practice a few times, just like anything else, to make it work correctly.

StephanieB
August 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Stephanie beat me to it...
Nyaaa na naaah nyah naaaah naaaah :p

I have just barely APL hair... and it's super-baby-fine and slippery... and because it's really thin, and very brittle, and grows very slooooowly (I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) - I can't afford tangles. If I lose a bit of hair to a tangle, it might be a third or fourth of my thickness... and it could take a year to grow back!

Yet, my hair handles being rolled up into fully-rolled sock buns just fine.
And these are the ONLY way I can have a bun bigger than my thumbnail... okay, maybe my largest knuckle. I don't even have enough thickness of hair to fully cover a roll rat for a recular sock bun.

You just have to place your ends carefully at the beginning of the rolled sock bun, and roll very carefully so you don't bend the tips of your ends in an odd manner to cause breakage. And then continue to roll it up, slowly and carefully, with just enough tension to keep your hair from folding or messing, and not too much tension to causes slipping.

irisheyes
August 16th, 2010, 09:23 AM
This is what I do with a regular sock bun: just swirl the loose hair around the base of the bun as usual, then put a hair net over the whole thing. This holds it all without pins, clamps, etc. I tried the fully rolled sock bun, but for me the regular sock bun is faster and neater looking.

Octave
August 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
This is what I do with a regular sock bun: just swirl the loose hair around the base of the bun as usual, then put a hair net over the whole thing. This holds it all without pins, clamps, etc. I tried the fully rolled sock bun, but for me the regular sock bun is faster and neater looking.

Oh that's pretty smart! Thanks, might give that a shot as long as I can find a hair net :D
Plus I tried the fully rolled one, didn't work for me. Was far too heavy and quite difficult to roll the hair up like that. And didn't look as neat as I wanted it to. Maybe it just takes practice who knows. Or maybe my hair is just plain weird haha

Sarahmoon
August 16th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Recently I made a "regular" sock bun, made two braids out of the leftover ends and swirled them around the bun. I could just tuck the ends underneath and it held all day (and normally I need strong stuff to keep my hair up). Can't manage fully rolled though. I think even if I could roll it all the way without getting a tangled mess, it would just unroll again :?

Octave
August 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Recently I made a "regular" sock bun, made two braids out of the leftover ends and swirled them around the bun. I could just tuck the ends underneath and it held all day (and normally I need strong stuff to keep my hair up). Can't manage fully rolled though. I think even if I could roll it all the way without getting a tangled mess, it would just unroll again :?

Saw a video with Torrin Paige where she did the same. Looked lovely on her.
But, I unfortunately don't have as long hair as both of you....yet *grin*
Even if my braids would be über short I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. :p

chelssix
August 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the link to the vid! I just tried it- it is WAY easier than a regular sock bun, doesn't pull, and looks less, erm... sock-y on me. I have some slight layers in my hair, so braiding the extra hair around the bun doesn't work as well as it used to, and I don't think hair wrapped around the bun looks as good on me.

Sarahmoon
August 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Why am I the only one getting tangles from fully rolled sock buns? :mad: