PDA

View Full Version : Compliments/The Short Hair Conundrum

kabelaced
August 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Guys and gals, I need your advice!

I have had long hair for around three or four years in total, so my whole family has seen it that way, and so have my current friends. After I buzzed in April, people didn't really say anything for the first two months, but since July I've been getting nothing but compliments on my pixie-short hair. A lot of people are actually telling me to keep my hair this super short length because they like the way it looks on me. Even my brother, who is part of the reason why I buzzed in the first place, says he prefers my short hair to the long hair that I had in the past!

How do I gracefully accept their compliments about a length I sincerely do not want to maintain? I feel rude telling them how ugly I think it is every time, and I don't know whether they're saying it to make me feel better for the time being or if they really do like it so short. Halp! :(

Also...does anyone else have a hard time accepting compliments, hair-related or otherwise? I have a hard time coming up with an appropriate response that does not sound conceited ("Oh, thanks, I like my hips too!") or putting down the complimenter ("Oh, no, I'm really nothing to look at!"). I like to be modest, but my manners could use an adjustment, methinks! :o

manderly
August 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Just say thank you and leave it at that. There is no reason to go into further detail (e.g. you don't like the length or you don't intend to keep it that short) when you are given a compliment. :flower:

Gumball
August 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I completely agree with manderly. You can thank them for their compliments. It's your decision to grow your hair out a bit more than that, but no harm in letting them know what they said was appreciated.

triumphator!
August 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, you don't have to tell them that you don't want to maintain that length, just steadily grow it out and people will get the picture ;) I just say, "Thank you, I'm very proud of it."

Gypsygirl
August 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I agree with Gumball and Manderly...just smile and say thank you! People don't need to know your every thought... ;)

Jessica Trapp
August 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Agree. Just say "thank you" and move on. It's your hair and you don't owe anyone an explanation about the way you wear it.

:flower: jes