PDA

View Full Version : Ombre hair- yay or nay?

McFearless
August 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
What do you think of hair that is dyed this way?
http://i33.tinypic.com/11v73oo.jpg

Its a bit of a trend in Hollywood. I remember when having roots was a big no-no

Paniculata
August 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
If I can add, what do we think of hair that has grown naturally like that? As my hair is now down to my knees, the ends are much more blonde then the hair next to my scalp; in fact, the hair up the top is getting very close to being "brown" although it still has a blonde gloss in the light. I really enjoy being blonde and am sad that in a few more years, I might not be able to call myself blonde any longer as it will have crossed over into being a light brown :( (and no, I wont dye my hair).

Demetrue
August 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
My hair always did that naturally by the end of the winter. I think no-no roots were about dark hair that had been dyed light blonde and you would see about 1/2 inch of black hair at the scalp. I DO like the ombre look very much, especially when the hair starts to lighten gradually from about eye or chin length down to the ends. It depends upon how long the hair is, how gradual the change is and the ratio of lighter hair to darker hair.

McFearless
August 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM
If I can add, what do we think of hair that has grown naturally like that? As my hair is now down to my knees, the ends are much more blonde then the hair next to my scalp; in fact, the hair up the top is getting very close to being "brown" although it still has a blonde gloss in the light. I really enjoy being blonde and am sad that in a few more years, I might not be able to call myself blonde any longer as it will have crossed over into being a light brown :( (and no, I wont dye my hair).

Congrats on getting to knee!! Have you looked into natural ways to lighten hair?

My hair always did that naturally by the end of the winter. I think no-no roots were about dark hair that had been dyed light blonde and you would see about 1/2 inch of black hair at the scalp. I DO like the ombre look very much, especially when the hair starts to lighten gradually from about eye or chin length down to the ends. It depends upon how long the hair is, how gradual the change is and the ratio of lighter hair to darker hair.

Yeah that is true. I think 1 inch of black roots is thought of as lazy, which the ombre look seems more on purpose.

May
August 14th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I love it. I especially love it on brunette hair...I think it looks very cool.

Paniculata
August 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Congrats on getting to knee!! Have you looked into natural ways to lighten hair?

Thanks! I didnt do it on purpose hah! I just stopped cutting/trimming my hair about 9 years ago and, well, it grew :P Only recently have I actually put some thought into what im going to do if it keeps growing, I think I like it at knee length because if it gets any longer, I wont be able to wear it out and that would be sad.

Natural ways? Well, yes, Yes in as much as ive only just started looking into it, so have no idea what could really work for me. I am so scared to put anything "strange" or new in my hair (im very protective of my hair) that I havnt done anything yet, but ill keep researching!

Lassie
August 15th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Its not my cup of tea...not the sort of look that I would want to intentionally create.

teela1978
August 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Just looks like they're growing out dye, not that they've had it treated to look that way...

I didn't like it when I had hair like that, but I had more contrast between the two colors. My hair now has a slow fade to the ends, nothing so drastic though.... unless you hold the ends to the roots, then the ends are shockingly red and the roots are ridiculously ashy.

Roseate
August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I have been seriously considering this! My normal objections to dying my hair are A) that I can't stand dealing with roots and B) that I never like the dyed color so well against the skin tone of my face; I must have a difficult skin to work with or something.

But since all the color here would be below chin level, roots wouldn't be a problem and the color wouldn't be right up against my face anyway! I love the way it looks when the color is uneven and sort of flaring up from the bottom. My hair naturally gets lighter towards the ends anyway, so it makes sense to me to work with that.

ericthegreat
August 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM
LOL, everytime a celebrity does something it is instantly the "new fashion/beauty fad" of the month. Really dark roots + very light blonde hair = time to schedule another color appointment.

The only way you can aesthetically pull off the grown out roots look IMHO is if your natural color isn't too far off from your dyed hair.

MonaMayfair
August 15th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I remember seeing a girl (this was YEARS ago) who had obviously never cut her hair (or not for many years) as you could see how her hair had changed in colour since she was a child - she was about 16 I should think.
The hair at the crown of her head was brown, and it got progressively lighter down the length until the ends (knee length) which were white blonde.

Night_Kitten
August 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I think that such a transition is beautifull when it's natural, because the transition is very slow and gentle over a long length, but when the two tones are too far apart or it's done on a short length it's not the best look in my opinion (because it looks very artificial...) except for if the colors are funky and unnatural (like, say, natural roots and then a transition to blue or pink or green ends...) :)

lastnite
August 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
It doesn't look flattering on the girl on the right(rachel bilson?) the girl on the left is pulling it off better, but maybe it's the hair styles in general.

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I want ombre hair. even considered doing it in a salon. dont trust my hairdresser though. this look is so *now*
check this out:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OLG4aP5iyng/S9SAfK_KoZI/AAAAAAAADSU/gHd_w9c7uHw/s1600/ombre+summer+8.jpg
http://style.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ashlee-pg225124.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OLG4aP5iyng/S9SAT8QjfjI/AAAAAAAADSM/XmTpKV8OEn4/s1600/ombre+2010.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y_L-Ti5A2Tc/S7SmtsCio1I/AAAAAAAADW8/WG9msp4h8ok/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-04-01+at+8.55.41+AM.png

mellie
August 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
It's a "Nay" from me. Just seems like too much going on. Certainly not something I would intentionally do. Also it draws the eye down AWAY from the face, which seems like the opposite effect of what I'd usually want.

trillcat
August 15th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Well, the top half of my head, a good 10 inches (get yer minds out of the gutter, I am talking about hair! ) is a lot darker blonde than the rest, almost brassy in color, the rest of the length is ash, almost silver.
That is because of bleaching it, all of it, with the same product. I had no idea I am now in fashion!
Ombre?
Wasn't that a man perfume in an episode of "Friends"
:D

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
it draws the eye down AWAY from the face
hm, you do have a point here, mellie. didn't think about that. but if I have face framing shorter layers and I get them lighter too that might work. OR that might look just bad cause it would be out of proportion... yeah, I guess I really need a professional for this

Joliebaby
August 15th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Yay if you are growing out your dye, or if it naturally lightens like that in the summer.
I wouldn't do this on purpose though. Only if I was growing out color (which I am, but I'm growing out from darker dye which I have tried to get as close to my natural as I could.. Can't say how it'll be a year from now, it might lighten some..)

Clarisse
August 15th, 2010, 06:57 AM
My hair does exactly that naturally, and I don't like it. I think the lighter ends look unhealthy - as though they are dry and unable to hold on to color. I usually cut off the lighter parts of my hair.

hmmm
August 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think it's beautiful on people whose hair does that naturally... but I can't imagine why you would want to fake it that drastically.

Carolyn
August 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I like it. I think it has a casual summery look.

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
casual summery look
yeah, that's exactly what I dig about this hair style

Ravenwaves 88
August 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM
It looks kind of like a beach look. I've always wondered what that would look like on me (how blonde would look in general) but I was never willing to sacrifice my hair's condition for the look. Maybe if I dread my hair or I ever cut it short I'll try blonde. :)

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 09:00 AM
It's not my cup of tea...
I remember that there was a "you should have 1 inch roots visible" phase last summer, which wasn't anything new. (It's like with updos. Updos were with us always, but now someone said "updos are fashionable" and it's like something new... Hm. Really?) It wasn't anything new, everyone sometimes have roots before going to the hairdresser for the next dying. But this... Girls in the pics look ok, but personally I wouldn't try it.

I think it's beautiful on people whose hair does that naturally... but I can't imagine why you would want to fake it that drastically. - exactly.

Zéphine
August 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I like it. Maybe it's because I grew up in a beach city, but only one or two of the pictures look obviously "dyed" to me. The rest just look like hair. Actually, to be honest, long hair that's the exact same color all over looks less natural to me than hair with slight variations.

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
long hair that's the exact same color all over looks less natural to me
100% agree! in **** no one accept platinum blondes has even hair colour! probably because this fashion to colour one's hair in their natural (or very close) colour just to make it look smooth and polish and etc hasn't got here yet. sometimes I do look at movie stars and think - wow, that hair is GREAT but then I think 'who has hair like that'?

and as for roots - but the concept of ombre hair is opposite to roots!! roots mean dark hair showing is less than half one's length and ombre hair means that light are only the ends! no higher than half the length!

Kathie
August 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I like that look a lot :agree: I think it looks best when there is a good portion of roots to dyed hair like mariika said, true ombre. Notice how they often put in some lighter bits in the front though, to break up the "regrowth" line.

Lize
August 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Awesome! Now I can grow out my roots in the fall and be in fashion! :) I actually think it looks kind of cool. :D

McFearless
September 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Ah I always make threads and forget about them! Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't mean I like the style because celebs do that, so sorry about that.

I think I might slowly lighten my ends until I can dye them pink. Its always been a dream of mine :)

JCFantasy23
September 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM
As long as the root contrast isn't overly startling, it can look pretty good. Just depends on the persons coloring.

beez1717
September 7th, 2010, 01:29 AM
It reminds me of people who just sort of STOPPED dying their hair. I think it looks cool that way. Maybe if you did it right you could get a neat fade out effect or fade in effect on your hair naturally via honey or henna. that would be very cool :)

ilovelonghair
September 7th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Ombre?
Wasn't that a man perfume in an episode of "Friends"
:D

That was 'hombre'. Ombre is a color I think, not sure.

Anyway, my own hair does have a huge difference between roots and the length, I can't do anything about it, it's naturally like that.
The ombre look doesn't look new to me, I've seen that before as a fashion.

MsBubbles
September 7th, 2010, 05:10 AM
That's what my hair looks like, minus the slight body waves. I'd look that good too if I were them :D. Unfortunately I'm sure people think I just look like a sad, tired old lady who either ran out of money to go to the salon, or who doesn't have a grip on life.

Wait...I really don't have a grip on life.

I think judging by the grinning smiley, Trillcat knew about the hombre thing.

ktani
September 23rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
I find it amusing that it has become a trend. There are often posts here lamenting a 2 toned look and lighter ends.

Being fashionable will make it easier for those growing out a permanent dye.

I know some Indian women who have had ther underlayers of hair bleached. They did not do it so much for fashion as a change and with only bleaching the underlayers, no obvious roots. I think it looks awesome and told them so.

Anje
September 23rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
I like what I see in the pictures here a lot more than the trend a few years ago to have 1-2 inches of dark, low-lighted roots and everything else bright blond! That was nasty, I thought. (http://www.hair.becomegorgeous.com/celebrity_hair/celebrity_hairstyles_with_dark_roots-981.html) (ETA: I remember seeing one show, "What not to wear" maybe, where it was being intentionally dyed in like that. Letting hair go a little longer between lightening is one thing, intentionally adding the look is another!)

I wouldn't have my hair done this way (noting that I'm rarely fashionable, and that these trends take a year or so to manifest here in small-town Midwest-land), but it'll sure make growing dye out a lot easier, as long as it remains "the thing".

curlymarcia
September 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
I really like it when it looks natural. If the root color and the dye are not so different the "ombre" looks great (is it really called ombre?). Unfortunately, the natural look can only be achieved in long hair.

little_cherry
September 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
It's just a few large foils below chin level...this will take the focus off your face and bring more focus to your neck/chin area...

Fashion fads, eh? Not for me....just because it looks good on others, doesn't mean it will look good on me.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
That look was exactly why my mother started bleaching my hair when I was 10 or 11. It would get so light on the ends in the summer, then in the winter the crown was so dark that it looked like I had been bleaching my hair. So my mother started bleaching it so that it wouldn't look bleached because she was afraid of what the church ladies thought. (does that make sense to anyone?)

MsBubbles
September 23rd, 2010, 01:38 PM
So my mother started bleaching it so that it wouldn't look bleached because she was afraid of what the church ladies thought. (does that make sense to anyone?)

Unfortunately, yes. :)

MsEvans
September 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
my hair also grows in this way. I would prefer it to be an even color but it isn't. Hopefully henna will help.

aenflex
September 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
It's cool, it's different. I don't think the colors are quite right on Bilson tho - the top is too dark. When done properly with complimentary colours, it's cool!

HuggyBear
September 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Don't like it very much. My hair is like this naturally. I have been doing honey lightening treatments to even out the color so that it doesn't look this anymore.

Artsy
September 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I am always a fan no matter the trends, this is how my natural brown looks with a shade lighter at the bottom.
________
Medigap Forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/medigap/)

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
To me, the ombre hair looks really subtle. Like some sun-bleached growth. I rather like the examples posted by mariika. My ends are actually a lot lighter than my new growth, like a mid-light auburn red brown to dark auburn brown. Definitely not as obvious as the examples though.

lundmir
September 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hahaha, I have the opposite going on. Lighter red roots and black ends, with a cool transition. I dyed it this way so I wouldn't damage my ends, and I love the look.
I like this one too, specially Lauren Conrad, is it? I think it is very flattering. I don't care that much for the more contrasting ones, though.

KittyLost
September 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I personally love it

leslissocool
September 24th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I really like it, specially when natural blond hair does it just by being exposed in the sun. I think it creates a Geisha statement. When they did their white face and neck make up, they left some spots that showed that underneath all that beauty there was a regular woman, and at the end of the day, that woman was still real.

I think it's very sexy... I used to have it like that, before it became popular and I boycotted bleach and harsh chemicals.

babybabycat
September 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/08/26/celebrities-love-ombre-hair/

Well, I have some ombre hair, not by choice, but by accident and I don't plan on doing anything about it any time soon.

Great thread, fun to read what everybody thinks!

JenniferNoel
September 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I love the ombre look if it's on the right head of hair. I'm currently sporting what we like to call "Cherry Chocolate Cake" - red/burgundy for the first four inches, and a chocolate-red-weird color on the ends and most of the lengths. It looks fantastic in an up-do.

Gothic Lolita
September 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
My sister's hair look like this naturally. Of course, her ends aren't as blonde as bleach-blonde but she has very dark roots and light-golden ends. I loke this look on her, but I do understand that many people don't like it. I too don't like it very much when you can see that the hair has been done this way by purpose, but if your hair simply lightened over t he summer and now you have new growth I think it's a nice and natural look.

May
September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think Sarah Jessica, Vanessa Paradis and Mila Kunis do it best with Mila and Sarah Jessica's hair being my favourite. I think this is a look I will want when my hair gets a little longer.
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7277/hairhw.th.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/i/hairhw.jpg/)http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4163/mila.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/i/mila.jpg/)

enfys
September 24th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Ombre is French for shade, for anyone who was wondering.

I like the look when it is within one shade, like all blonde or all brown.

I remember a girl in high school, years older than me, who had about hip length hair with a deep v hemline, super thick and straight (before staighteners were about); her hair went from black at the roots through every shade of dark brownish burgundy to a mid reddish brown on the ends. It was stunning, like a sunset or something. She never caught me staring, shockingly.

Personally, I've thought about dying my roots artificial colours to make it look like I had green hair growing in that I dye brown. :D

IcarusBride
September 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I think it looks nasty! It's very obvious whether this effect is from 'not dyeing roots' or naturally occurring. The natural way looks fine but those celebrities do not look good. Sorry :(

talecon
September 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
my ombre red and black hair
hair is heavily oiled today waiting to be washed out but this is it in different lights
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/IMG_1413.jpg?t=1285367270
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/IMG_1419.jpg?t=1285367270
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/IMG_1426.jpg?t=1285367270
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/IMG_1430.jpg?t=1285367270
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/IMG_1431.jpg?t=1285367270

it's not natural I'm clearly growing out hair dye but I will darken the ends with henna during the winter. I showed the baby dad and his reply was "kool"

talecon
September 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I love ashlee simpson's ombre hair color though the black on top seems a little too dark but only a little ;)
http://www.hji.co.uk/blogs/celebrity-hair/photos/ashlee-collage.jpg

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/08/26/celebrities-love-ombre-hair/

Wow the comments there are so nasty, people really need to get a reality check! :shudder:

Sammich
September 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I love it. I basically have that two toned look, except sort of opposite? Lol! :p

buzzlegum
September 25th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I like this look when it's tastefully done. Too bad I don't dye my hair. :P

Dreams_in_Pink
September 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Definitely NAY.

I have it right now. Golden brown with ashy dark brown. I hate golden colors on myself; will dye them much darker when i hit BSL.

I plan to do the same if my natural hair color goes two toned.

NotLostYet
September 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
ha! who knew I was so trendy?

when I was growing out my never-ending dye cycle (you know, dye to match the roots better, dye fades so new roots look crap, dye again) I decided to break it by bleaching out the dyed parts and dying them blue with purple and teal highlights. Now that I know I was being super-trendy I am wishing I had actually taken a picture of it before I cut it off. The great part was that if I put my hair in a braid or a bun no one even noticed the colors.

NotLostYet
September 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
oh! and I even have ombre hair in my avatar! but I can't really take credit for it as that's evidence of the transition between toddler hair color/texture and childhood color/texture.

growing2shine
September 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Well I have to say, I sort of like it. I mean not on everybody of course but I think it looks different, cool and a bit rock 'n roll.:rockerdud Im growing out permanent dye and im thinking about dying, in a couple of months, my length from the jawline and down all black. Then I would like to use henna on the black for the conditioning effect. :)
(This is something that I have though about in a loooong time and the only thing that I've not decided yet is if the transition is going to be subtle or sharp.:hmm: I have seen this really cool picture where the transition is very sharp.;))

Update: :D Well I have now dyed my hair (only the length that has been dyed before, not the virgin!!!;)) in a light brown to cover up the horrible transition. And it looks soooo much better.:cheese: But now I only wanna dye the tips black and then do the henna.

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
oh! and I even have ombre hair in my avatar! but I can't really take credit for it as that's evidence of the transition between toddler hair color/texture and childhood color/texture.

Cute avatar!

MsBubbles
October 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ok I've been thinking a lot about the psychology behind this fad. Somebody may already have mentioned this but I didn't read it yet...

Fashion likes to achieve the equal or opposite from the previous 'big thing': bell-bottoms ---> skinny jeans; wedges ----> stilettos; big hair ----> flat hair; perfect-but-fake-hair (i.e. extensions) ---> flawed but obviously 100% natural hair.

Why would anybody purposely want to sport the grown-out roots look? Maybe to prove that it's undoubtedly all their own hair!! I guess you can get two-tone extensions. That probably wouldn't be too hard for an extension manufacturer to make. But still, in this age of everybody having thick, lustrous locks through extensions, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole ombre thing is the flipside of that.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Fashion likes to achieve the equal or opposite from the previous 'big thing'

That's a very true point; my mom (who's in her 60s) always says how "roots" on dyed hair was a big no-no in her youth. All artists back then had a single color from root to tip.

McFearless
October 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Blame the hipsters!

christine1989
October 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Personally I can't stand dyed hair that is one color on top and another at the ends. It is especially weird looking on blondes.

RadiantNeedle
October 8th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I find this fashion very interesting, because its a lot like one of the Races in a game my partner and I are working. A tabletop rpg, to be precise! The Arimian race (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6198&pictureid=83866) has hair that naturally lightens to white at the ends, and their hair structure is far thicker than Humans; 1 Arimian hair being about as thick as 10 or so Human hairs. There are other physiological differences of course, but they do look fairly similar to Humans.

<.<

>.>

Okay, nerd moment over!

My hair does this naturally when its virgin. I end up with caramel and blonde streaks and pale ends!

McFearless
October 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I find this fashion very interesting, because its a lot like one of the Races in a game my partner and I are working. A tabletop rpg, to be precise! The Arimian race (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6198&pictureid=83866) has hair that naturally lightens to white at the ends, and their hair structure is far thicker than Humans; 1 Arimian hair being about as thick as 10 or so Human hairs. There are other physiological differences of course, but they do look fairly similar to Humans.

<.<

>.>

Okay, nerd moment over!

My hair does this naturally when its virgin. I end up with caramel and blonde streaks and pale ends!

I have no idea what the HECK you're talking about, but I like that drawing!

RadiantNeedle
October 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Haha, thank you! Basically we're making a roleplaying game like Dungeons and Dragons, only.. More awesome, in my opinion :P

Roseate
October 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Fashion likes to achieve the equal or opposite from the previous 'big thing': bell-bottoms ---> skinny jeans; wedges ----> stilettos; big hair ----> flat hair; perfect-but-fake-hair (i.e. extensions) ---> flawed but obviously 100% natural hair.

I think you're right; to me the ombre look is the opposite of the "natural looking" highlights that have been popular for quite a while now. That subtle, Jennifer Aniston-looking, beachy thing. I see so many heads of "subtle" highlights running around every day, I can't even count. This seems to me like the opposition to that style.

Nera
October 9th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have always liked that! A lot of hair does that naturally...

Alcenaia
October 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM

This is me too. For the first years of my life I was very platinum blond, but my hair has darkened. Since I'm a longhair I still have some of the lighter hair and thus a very subtle gradient.

I think that such a transition is beautifull when it's natural, because the transition is very slow and gentle over a long length, but when the two tones are too far apart or it's done on a short length it's not the best look in my opinion (because it looks very artificial...) except for if the colors are funky and unnatural (like, say, natural roots and then a transition to blue or pink or green ends...) :)

Totally agree with Night_Kitten. Long, slow, subtle transition, or funky out-there transition. :)

It also seems like it would make updos look bizarre. Darker scalp hair, then a blond bun? Then again, it doesn't seem like updos are that common.

Sanyia
October 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Looks too artificial, I don't like it.

McFearless
October 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Haha, thank you! Basically we're making a roleplaying game like Dungeons and Dragons, only.. More awesome, in my opinion :P

Could you explain it to me? My inner nerd is intrigued:cool:

birthmarkie
October 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I think hair that is like this naturally is very pretty. The more healthy and natural (and less dyed and damaged) it looks, the more I like it. I do think a faux-ombre can work. In the pics, the girls pull it off. I've always liked Lauren Conrad's hair stylist. [ETA: I was referring to the original picture that was up, with her side-braid; I see it was changed. This one I don't like as much, but I like Bilson's style.]

Kat
October 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I might be more okay with it from an aesthetic standpoint if it were darker at the bottom and lighter at the top...

I dunno, whatever. I always thought the "growing out dye" look was taboo too (and let's not talk about the "dark roots" look, especially on someone who is obviously doing it on purpose and there's no reason they can't touch up the roots), but okay. I have a feeling it's one of those things that looks fine on celebrities and everyone thinks it's "cool" but if one of us "normal" people tried it, all we'd get are "uh, you realize you're about six months past the point at which you should've re-dyed, right?" and people'd think it looked crappy. As a non-famous person, and non-trendy-fashionista-"beautiful"-person, I'd never do it because everyone would assume I was just a slob or couldn't get a good dye job (same as the "messy hair" look. It might look great on Jessica Alba, but on me, people'd be saying, "geez, she can't even comb her hair, nasty."). (Otherwise, I'd totally use it as my excuse to henna my hair, since I've always wanted to, but was afraid of the two-tone look if I ever got tired of it and wanted to grow it out--because there's no way I'd be buzzing my head!)

triumphator!
October 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hey, my hair does that! Awesome.

swivelhop
October 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I prefer the fake version. Here is my (old, I don't let it do this anymore) real version complete with demarkation lines for each summer: It was even more dramatic in real life. :confused:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6179&pictureid=85317

McFearless
October 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I prefer the fake version. Here is my (old, I don't let it do this anymore) real version complete with demarkation lines for each summer: It was even more dramatic in real life. :confused:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6179&pictureid=85317

I really like it on you. The colour change is gradual and it doesnt go from black to blonde or something crazy like that. It looks healthy and shiny too so thats a plus:)

SilvraShadows
October 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
It's a yay for me! I really like it, except now everyone is doing this. If you want to do this at home, brave person that you are...

then... click here. (http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/21/why-yes-it-is-possible-to-do-your-own-ombre-hair-colour-at-home/)

I think Drew Barrymore has the best example I have seen! And it just so happens to be the one the author of this article doesn't like... I love the drastic change of color.

My daughter will be happy to know she has ombre hair! Although what she has is more subtle. She has a beautiful overall color with her naturally dark blond coming in, the highlights and lowlights with a reddish hue, and some black still peeking through underneath. Her stylist did a fantastic job! And this was last winter.

The way I see it, go for it. Why make it look like you're growing out naturally? Make a statement! Have fun!

And I love the chocolate hair with the cherry red! Very pretty.

Clytemnestra
October 9th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Yay for me, too, and I really like Drew's hair, she's such a wild child and it's very striking and beautiful.

I think if you are going to do this look, you should go all the way, some of the examples just looked like highlighting to me, and of course it's just a fashion statement, so I wouldn't really consider this as a permanent style.

Cool way to grow out your roots, anyway.

renarok
October 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I like this look very much. I don't think I could pull it off very well, but I can admire it on others.