PDA

View Full Version : Calling all bleachers and dyers!

Alix
August 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have a question! I'm 18 and going into college and of course I want to rebel a little bit, so what better way to rebel then dying my hair?

I want to put streaks in it, not many, two or three. And I don't know if I need to bleach. I do want to donate my hair when it gets to my goal length and I know they don't take dyed hair but I figure if I just do streaks they can cut those out first.

I have naturally light brown hair that holds onto styles like no other. (Seriously, I curled my hair with soft curlers for prom and three days later it was still there.) I feel like I could get away without bleaching but it's not necessarily a risk I want to take. Mostly because I don't want to do it twice. So what brands would be best? At the moment I do have access to manic panic but that might not last since I'm moving.

StephanieB
August 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I do want to donate my hair when it gets to my goal length and I know they don't take dyed hair but I figure if I just do streaks they can cut those out first.
Most (if not all) places that take donated hair won't take hair that's colored at all - including streaked or frosted. They won't bother to "cut some out"; they just won't take it.

I'm a bit confused... and clarifying this should help clarify your question for you:
1) You are growing your hair just to donate it? (if so - don't color any of it)
2) Or you are growing it just to prove you can? Or to have fun along the way? (if either of these, or both - just have fun and color or do what you want with it... and don't worry about donating it later)

little_cherry
August 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
If you're looking at adding a few wild streaks, but still want to donate your hair, I suggest clip in extensions...no need to keep bleaching/touching up the roots and you can change the colour often as you like. :)

apynip
August 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
clip ins as little cherry said.

honestly teh BEST way to go especially if you are donating your hair eventually because it cannot be coloured at all it MUST be virgin hair.

If you arnt sure about donating if you hair is virgin you could use a high lift colour but it depends on how light you want to go.

Alix
August 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Most (if not all) places that take donated hair won't take hair that's colored at all - including streaked or frosted. They won't bother to "cut some out"; they just won't take it.

I'm a bit confused... and clarifying this should help clarify your question for you:
1) You are growing your hair just to donate it? (if so - don't color any of it)
2) Or you are growing it just to prove you can? Or to have fun along the way? (if either of these, or both - just have fun and color or do what you want with it... and don't worry about donating it later)

I have clip in's and they're a hassle. I wouldn't have them cut it out, I would. I have a substantial amount of hair on my head and I would just braid and cut the colored portions when the time came, then cut and send the virgin hair. Especially because the organization I want to send it to (Wigs for kids) asks that you cut it in six sections of hair, I'm not sure how they'd know I had streaked it if I didn't include the altered hair.

I am doing it just for fun AND to donate, I figure if I am going to grow my hair out that long I might as well do something with it.

Juneii
August 14th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well! Since we don't know how your hair takes in the dye I would say just try out the streaks without bleach and if it doesn't stay very well then bleach the streaks and dye it again.

Of course if you want vibrant colored streaks you must bleach the hair (correct me if I am wrong, I am no hair dye expert) to get the perfect color.