PDA

View Full Version : So much slip - how to manage updos?

Boudicca
August 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Wonder if anyone has any updo advice. I'm finding lately that it's very difficult to get my hair to stay in any kind of updo - my hair seems incredibly slippy, and pins are just falling out of my hair.

Are there any 'good' products I should be using to get some sort of hold?

Gumball
August 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I know some people use a little aloe gel just to give slippery hair some sort of traction before they do something with it. It easily washes out with water, too. I've found it successful in helping to braid slippery 1a hair without the braid automatically unraveling all the way should I let go. With slippery hair it's all about just getting it that small bit of traction that helps it hold on to itself and other things, since otherwise it's like you said. It just escapes anything and everything.

Boudicca
August 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've got some aloe gel, so I could definitely give that a go. It's driving me crazy! :)

Thanks for the rec :)

plainjanegirl
August 14th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I braid alot. When I put my hair in a bun it is either too tight or so loose that it falls out.

rags
August 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have extremely slippery hair and I hate the feel of aloe gel. I mist lightly with just water, or water and conditioner mixture. That helps some. Some days though, are just braid days! (and then the elastic slips off the end of the braid....:rolleyes:)

Juneii
August 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I found putting a bit of water into my hair when trying to make an updo or style will make it stay a bit better. Just be careful as the water might/will make your hair weaker and snap easier.

tinti
August 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I've found water helps a lot. There was a time when I didn't know how to handle my hair and so I used water as a texturizer and it held all day. But now I just put some mousse or gel when I get out of the shower and my hair is soaking wet :) Then I just flip my head down and just finger comb/shake my hair so that it doesn't lay all wet and straight there.