PDA

View Full Version : Just got my hair French braided in salon

david
August 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hey all,
Just thought I would post this up for everyone to see. I have to go to a fairly formal type of dinner tonight so I though I would treat myself to a salon wash/blow dry and while there I decided to get my hair in a French plait. Obviously, being a guy this sparked the interest of the others in the salon and I ended up getting loads of compliments. As im sure not many guys come in to get their hair in a French plait.lol. The stylist doing the French plait was talking away and she said that for weddings etc she would do her dads hair in a French plait, so I thought that was cool.

I was blown away by the results and I could never have got the sections so even or neat doing it on my own. She braided it from the top my head all the way down. So also let quite a long tassle at the end which I thought was pretty cool and makes the plait look thicker. I have to say that I will be getting in done again as a treat sometime.

Here's a few pictures of the result.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1274&pictureid=79370

Side View
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1274&pictureid=79371

Vampire
August 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Looks really good :thumbsup:

Gumball
August 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I think it turned out great. It looks like you'll be all set for the dinner, so enjoy! Let's all hope you get at least a compliment or two. You can't beat feeling pampered.

missfortune9335
August 14th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you for sharing, it turned out really well. :) Have fun at your dinner!

kwaniesiam
Looks great, you should be able to keep that in for a few days.

LouLaLa
WOW your hair is amazing and the hairdresser got the tension perfect.

Have a fabulous evening!

BritishBraider
August 15th, 2010, 03:16 AM
very nice :) So neat!

pepperminttea
August 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Oh wow that's neat - and so many sections! :thud:

Othala
August 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Very elegant. Your hair is gorgeous - like polished wood.

eamane
August 15th, 2010, 05:18 AM
That looks really good! :)

Alvrodul
August 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
That looks just stunning!

Long_hair_guy
August 15th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Nice french braid. Your hairdresser did a wonderful job on it.

triumphator!
August 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Wow, that french braid looks perfect! I bet your stylist could do it in her sleep!

Peggy E.
August 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
That looks really good! :)

This would be a great style for my brother. He's got very long hair that he wears in a pony secured at the nape of the neck. Always.

He's always wanting to find something a little different to do for special occasions, but this usually means letting it hang loose - with the ton of curls, it's really a wild mop and so he usually just puts it back into the pony.

This would be a great way to do something special, while still securing all those frizzy curls!

Yours looks great and highlights the healthy and strong condition of your hair. Hope you had a good time at the dinner and that people appreciated the extra effort you took to impress!

TinaDenali
August 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
That looks really classy, I like it.

VanillaTresses
August 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
It looks VERY good! :thumbsup: I always think that french braids look cool on guys, kind of mohawk-esque.

Carolyn
August 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Very nice braid. It looks great.

CourtneyBee
August 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Absolutely stunning. You pull this style off so well and you have such a lovely shine! -goes to lurk your photo albums-

EdG
August 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
That is very elegant. The hair stylist did a great job! :)

Obviously, being a guy this sparked the interest of the others in the salon and I ended up getting loads of compliments. As im sure not many guys come in to get their hair in a French plait.lol. I would love to do that just for the novelty. :D
Ed

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I love the idea! You make me want to go to the hairdresser for braiding too, thought I am quite good at it. But those even strands... Perfect!

Blueglass
August 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Excellent job. That hairdresser must be well practiced.

Das Siechtum
August 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
THat looks just awesome! I wish I could french braid like that! :-(

MissManda
August 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Very nice! Your braid looks so neat! :)

I really like your hair color, too.

christine1989
August 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Very beautiful! That style looks great with your nice, thick hair.

karenpetal
August 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM
David this looks really cool !! I work at a salon as a nail tech and help out with braids and hairdos. I have recently seen more guys coming to salon for "exotic" dos - way to go !!!!

vanity_acefake
August 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Ooh that looks lovely. Hope you have a lovely evening.

little_acorn
August 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
She did a good job - it looks awesome :D

yellowchariot
August 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM
david, it looks killer. I agree, I can't get my sections and crossovers as smooth as a hairstylist can. They have some kind of secret power that they use lol. Just like the pic that redneckprincess posted of her salon french braid. It was perfect, just like yours.

I agree, it does spark interest with others in the salon. They all want to get in on the action :D.

lillylonghair
August 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Gorgeous! I don't just mean the braid either. You hair is such a lovely color and looks so soft and shiny.

Phexlyn
August 16th, 2010, 03:20 AM
That looks awesome! Very polished and professional, and I'm glad you enjoyed you salon treatment :D

Lassie
August 16th, 2010, 03:42 AM
looks fantastic!

CailinNua
August 16th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Wow! You must have a great hairdresser - I'm sorry to say I think most that I have visited would baulk at a guy asking for that.

It looks fab though and your hair is just beautiful and shiny.

Gypsygirl
August 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM
That has to be the neatest French braid I've ever seen! :)

david
August 16th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the kind replies.

The formal dinner type event I went to went well and I got loads of compliments about my hairstyle. Most of the comments were either how did I do it, its looks amazing or that's awesome, I've never seen a guy wearing that style. It was a music type of event so generally the people there are open to/used to alternative fashion/style. But hopefully I managed to change a few people's minds from the typical stereotype of a guy with long hair who doesn't take care of it.

I managed to keep the plait in for two days and it still looked great. I'm going to get it done professionally again as a treat sometime. But I will continue to do it myself every so often. But I could never get it looking as even, smooth and sectioned so perfect as this so it will be back to get it done again sometime.

Wow! You must have a great hairdresser - I'm sorry to say I think most that I have visited would baulk at a guy asking for that.

I'm sure there was a few in the salon that were initially quite shocked. I was expecting to maybe get a few negative comments. But I was suprised that the other stylists and people in the salon just thought that it was pretty cool that I took care of my hair so well and that the style suited me and looked well. The stylist doing the plait was great and was talking away about how she cant do a french plait on herself and how she would do the same to her brother and dad's hair for weddings etc since it is quite a formal style and a change from the usual ponytail or regular english plait.

CailinNua
August 16th, 2010, 06:20 AM
David, I admire your confidence to go for it ... I think you've done a great job of challenging some preconceptions! With your kind of attitude you could pull anything off ... just make sure you show us the photos!:)

Capybara
August 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
That is so cool, literally one of the best French braids I've ever seen! Glad you're pleased, and that the dinner went well :D

Islandgrrl
August 16th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Really nice, David! I wish I could get a french braid on myself to look that perfect!

Hana
August 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Looks beautiful. :)
I'd never thought of going to a hairdressers for plaiting... sounds so obvious to me now!