PDA

View Full Version : combining products?

RachelRain
August 14th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I combine stuff pretty regularly - but only if they're from the same company (maybe not the same line, but the same company.)

I noticed a few minutes ago though that I'm pretty low on Infusium 23, and was wondering if I could combine it with a Pantene spray? That way I could get rid of a bottle and maybe not waste so much of it. Has anybody tried something like this before?

Side comment - why isn't Infusium in a spray bottle? Something that's pretty much just colored water should be in a spray bottle. That stuff is messy.

misstwist
August 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I don't know if I've ever used "matching" products other than a shampoo and creme rinse that go together.

It won't melt your hair to use products from different companies.

virgo75
August 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I prefer to use matching products as I think they're meant to go together so they should work better together, but your hair will be fine if you mix products.

Sometimes it will work out even better. :)

I think they've put the infusium leave-in into spray bottles before, but they were much smaller than the original bottles. I'd rather get the full sized bottle and buy a separate spray bottle. ;)

RachelRain
August 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I prefer to use matching products as I think they're meant to go together so they should work better together, but your hair will be fine if you mix products.

Sometimes it will work out even better. :)

I think they've put the infusium leave-in into spray bottles before, but they were much smaller than the original bottles. I'd rather get the full sized bottle and buy a separate spray bottle. ;)

I've never seen the spray bottles, but that sucks that they're that much smaller. I did end up putting what was left in a spray bottle, so hopefully that'll work for now.

I was just worried about what it'd do - I know some days, both can make my hair feel clumpy like I put gel in it, and I was just afraid of combining making them worse. I might mix a little bit of them together to find out. :)

thanks to both of you!

lillithnight
August 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I mix my products. Well I don't mix different things that are the same,but my leave in, conditioner, shampoo bar, sealent, and gel are all by differnet brands. I just take what works for my hair and use that. :)

Sarahmoon
August 15th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I think the main reason companies advice you to combine only their products is so they sell more. You could experiment using stuff from different brands. It'll probably work out fine. I did it frequently without any problems.

Carolyn
August 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I do it all the time. When I get down to the end of a couple bottles, I dump them in one and use them up. I do it with shampoos and conditioners all the time. I don't see why you couldn't do it with your leave ins. When I make a SMT mix, I always use 2-4 conditioners. I agree that companies tell us not to mix to protect their butts and to sell more products. It's an easy ploy for me to see through.

RachelRain
August 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, thick stuff I mix together. This being two liquids, I just wasn't sure what it'd do. But I did end up mixing a little bit together to check it out and see - it doesn't seem to be doing anything bad, aside from a hairspray kind of smell, so I might as well mix the rest of it in. There's only like two ounces of the Infusium, if that.

thanks guys :)

OhMyCurlz
August 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Most companys create theri products to work in synergy. One product compliments the other. A company cant predict how the results of their product and another company product will work together. The TRUTH is that ingredients are what works in synergy, but since they can't predict how your results will be if you use their shampoo with another comapnys conditioner...they advise a regimen that is complimentary.

As a general rule, I personally think that everyone should TRY to use a matching shampoo and conditioner from one line (especially if you are dealing with natural products). I hated it when my customers (way back then) would buy castille shampoo from me and then use it with another lines conditioner. It ALWAYS ended up badly.

Can you imagine a Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bar (in hard water) and then a coney Garnier Conditioner on top?! :mad:

Phexlyn
August 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I do it all the time. When I get down to the end of a couple bottles, I dump them in one and use them up. I do it with shampoos and conditioners all the time. I don't see why you couldn't do it with your leave ins. When I make a SMT mix, I always use 2-4 conditioners. I agree that companies tell us not to mix to protect their butts and to sell more products. It's an easy ploy for me to see through.
I'd never have thought about that, but it sounds like a great idea for using things up. I have (rarely) mixed conditioners before, but not shampoos. Thanks for the tip! :)

Most companys create theri products to work in synergy. One product compliments the other. A company cant predict how the results of their product and another company product will work together. The TRUTH is that ingredients are what works in synergy, but since they can't predict how your results will be if you use their shampoo with another comapnys conditioner...they advise a regimen that is complimentary.

As a general rule, I personally think that everyone should TRY to use a matching shampoo and conditioner from one line (especially if you are dealing with natural products). I hated it when my customers (way back then) would buy castille shampoo from me and then use it with another lines conditioner. It ALWAYS ended up badly.

Can you imagine a Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bar (in hard water) and then a coney Garnier Conditioner on top?! :mad:
I have often seen that the different products of a brand (especially the more commercially present brands) have almost the same ingredients, and the ones that differ are usually listed in the middle to last positions - which means there is little of them in the product anyway. Therefore, I don't see why you should always use the products that go together.
It's all a matter of ingredients, basically, so I think it's perfectly fine to use for example no-cone products from different brands together. I agree it could turn out the wrong way, but it can help as well if you can't find a single line that you are happy with :)

RachelRain
August 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I rarely if ever use a shampoo and conditioner from the same company, let alone the same line. Reason being that conditioner is more important to me, as that is what makes my hair less rats nest-y. The shampoo is solely to clean the conditioner out of my hair, so I can use whatever. That said, I mix shampoos and conditioners all the time just to save room in my shower. My current conditioner concoctions are an HE-Pantene-Garnier-Aussie mix and a Suave-WR mix. And actually - the first one works BETTER on my hair after having been glopped into the same bottle. I have less frizz and it brushes out much easier than just using one of those products by itself. Heaven only knows why though, but I'm not complaining! :)

Anyways, now I remember why I stopped using the Infusium in the first place... my hair felt very plasticky after about ten hours, like brand new Teflon. The only advantage was that when I braided it, there was almost no frizz even after I took it out an hour ago (so well over 24 hours, and it was slept on, and it was braided still pretty wet after I put the stuff in.)