PDA

View Full Version : Where should someone like me start?

Synaesthete
August 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hey ladies! I'm new here and had a few questions. I've read around for some basic terms but there is so much information I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Let me start by explaining where my hair currently is and where I would like to get.

My hair is currently reaching my shoulder blades. I figured out my type based on the information here. I'm guilty of blow drying almost every day, sometimes all the way to dry and sometimes only halfway (aiming for the roots so it doesn't dry as flat there) and I also am guilty of flat-ironing about half of the time - my bangs are flat-ironed every day. My hair holds style very well. I use your typical shampoo/conditioning schedule daily, as my hair gets uncomfortably oily within 24 hours of washing. I've attempted every other day but it drove me crazy. I used to dye it/stain it (Manic Panic) a lot but in the last year and a half I've gotten highlights three times only.

Overall, I think my hair is soft. I generally like how it looks, but I feel like the growing has slowed down and I hate how many split ends I get. My hair also tends to break easily. I know a lot of this is the flat-ironing, but I have cut back a lot on that. I love how it looks straight, though, so I was hoping to find a regimen that might allow me to flat-iron at least some of the time without killing the ends of my hair. I have used flat-iron sprays in the past but stopped because a) it feels heavy and a little filmy, even with one mist and b) I haven't found one that doesn't stink horribly.

I guess I'm just looking for ways to have all-around healthier hair without throwing away the blow-dryer and flat iron. I don't like the level of breakage and splitting right now, and I would also like to gain another 2 - 4 inches on my hair.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated - I just need a few starting points. Thanks so much!

JesusFreak88
August 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Start with gentle combing. Shampoo only your scalp because it will help keep your ends hydrated. I'd start with that and you should at least ditch the blowfryer. Oh and welcome to the world of S&D

breezefaerie
August 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I would start here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

and Welcome!

Synaesthete
August 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for my shampoo. I guess I need to pick up a good comb.

And I'll check that link out. :o

Khiwanean
August 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Try wrapping to straighten your hair instead of flat ironing. Here's a thread on it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53383&highlight=wrapping there should be a link to a video that shows how to do it in the third post or so. Also an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) might do you good.

JesusFreak88
August 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Wide tooth is best. Make sure it is seamless. If not sand away the seams so it is smooth.