PDA

View Full Version : DT For DBF's 4a Hair!!

Linnykinz
August 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Earlier this week, something amazing happened...my DBF, who has no real interest in hair whatsoever..suggested he needed a deep treatment!! What?!

He has looong hair, longer than mine, his hair is super tight curls so stretched out he is somewhere between APL/BSL. He's been growing it for a few years, and wearing it in protective styles like braids ("cornrows"). We took his last set of braids out earlier this week, and he was touching his hair. He normally doesn't care, how dry it is, or wap wap wap, I'm usually the one who is taking care of his hair. But he tells me that he needs a treatment soon. That caught me off guard!

Now I'm trying to find the best kind of DT for his hair, it's very long 4a, C and practically iv thickness, dry and split on the ends but very hard to trim. I was thinking molasses, some cholesterol I have (Queen Helene), maybe EVOO, an Acia berry treatment I have (vit. e, jojoba, avocado, soy, wheat protien, acia berry, aloe vera, sunflower, panthenol, vit. a, vit. d...)

What do you think of all of these mixed together? Are there any others I should consider? His hair takes a LONG time to wash anything out, so super heavy things may not be the best idea. I really don't want to mess this up, as he's never too into DT's or anything of the sort. Please give me some advice, all you DT lovers :)

dropinthebucket
August 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
wow, linnykinz, maybe it's the planetary alignment thing that caused the sudden interest in DT? :D

nowhere near a 4, so i don't have any constructive advice, sadly - just wanted to say, how cool your DH has long hair! (envious!) ;)

JaneinMarch
August 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
EVOO sounds like a good idea. I like ghee also, a very little bit (maybe try it on a small section first) for my whole head and my hair is shoulder length. I started out using a marble sized piece or two of ghee, and you can get it from Whole Foods. Ghee does smell some, but it shouldn't linger longer than a few days after washing out. I've noticed that ghee help my hair stay moisturized for about a week and I rinse my hair daily.

Linnykinz
August 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM
JaneinMarch~ Thank you! I never would have thought of ghee for your hair..then again, I'm sitting here with molasses on my head, go figure :) can you add anything to take away the smell, or should we just take it like a man? Hehe..also, is that a leave in, or you wash it out after you have let it sit?

Dropinthebucket~ I know, how awesome is it! I definitely need to get some pictures up. It's a huge PITA sometimes, but soo worth it when it is done right :cheese:

kwaniesiam
August 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
JaneinMarch~ Thank you! I never would have thought of ghee for your hair..then again, I'm sitting here with molasses on my head, go figure :) can you add anything to take away the smell, or should we just take it like a man? Hehe..also, is that a leave in, or you wash it out after you have let it sit?

Dropinthebucket~ I know, how awesome is it! I definitely need to get some pictures up. It's a huge PITA sometimes, but soo worth it when it is done right :cheese:

Ghee is clarified butter, I wouldn't want to leave butter in your hair too long.

Try a few different things until you find something that really works, you'll know when it does. You may be opposed to heat styling but generally 4a hair is much easier to trim when you've blown it out relatively straight. The cuts I've done on that hair type were cut dry after being washed, dried, and straightened to make sure everything was even.

lillithnight
August 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Ghee is clarified butter, I wouldn't want to leave butter in your hair too long.

Try a few different things until you find something that really works, you'll know when it does. You may be opposed to heat styling but generally 4a hair is much easier to trim when you've blown it out relatively straight. The cuts I've done on that hair type were cut dry after being washed, dried, and straightened to make sure everything was even.

The issue that I think many curly haired people especially tighter curls and coils have with this is that it doesn't take into acount shrinkage. Not every curl/coil is going to shrink up the same. I've got on average 37% shrinkage but some spots shrink a little more or less.

JaneinMarch
August 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe something like tea tree would cover up the smell. I usually rub the ghee in and leave it overnight, then wash out next morning. I have used it as a leave in, maybe a pea sized bit that time, and I don't remember it smelling any stronger than usual, probably because it was such a small amount. It spreads very well.

lillithnight
August 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
As for your question on DT's for your DBF an ultra moisturizing conditioner mixed with oil should work very well. I've done that. Mixed oil with my fave condish of the momment. Do you know what his strand texture is, density porosity ect. That makes recomending products for his/your use making carring for his hair much easier.

Is he cone free, or does he not care? I find my finicky top layer rebels when I use cones

Does he use a moisturizing sprits for his braids?

Linnykinz
August 13th, 2010, 09:51 PM
As for your question on DT's for your DBF an ultra moisturizing conditioner mixed with oil should work very well. I've done that. Mixed oil with my fave condish of the momment. Do you know what his strand texture is, density porosity ect. That makes recomending products for his/your use making carring for his hair much easier.

Is he cone free, or does he not care? I find my finicky top layer rebels when I use cones

Does he use a moisturizing sprits for his braids?

Not cone-free, he uses Herbal Essences Hello Hydration! which isn't heavy in cones, but still has some. He doesn't really care because his hair is madness when he doesn't use cones, I mean he has been growing it out for about 3 years with no trims whatsoever so his ends are baaad :( He just rips a pick through it when he doesn't feel like dealing with being gentle. As for texture and all that, he is about 4a, C and iii...thee thickest and fullest head I have ever seen!! (so jealous)

Also he uses a very coney spritz for his braids called Motions, sometimes he lets me use Jojoba, Coconut or Olive oil though :) lighter oils like coconut don't even seem to do anything though!

lillithnight
August 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
ah. Does he have fine strands, medium or coarse? What is his porosity? I'd also invest in a pair of hair cutting scissors(sp?) from the local BSS, or drugstore if you can find them and get rid of his ratty ends. blowdry it straight, or band it as straight as you can and trim 1/2inch to and inch off.

My hair prefers no-cones, using shampoo bars, and finishing with some sort of acid rinse after washing. I use a cheap regular conditoner as a leave in, and put some of this cone and minderal oil free body butter on my ends before I gell it for a wash and go.

Aussie moist could be a good conditioner for him. It has a cone low on the list like his other, and it's natorious for being uber mosturising. But he deffinitly needs a trim if he gets frustrated and and rips the pick through his hair. Tell him to detangle when load down with conditioner if he doesn't already, and to only detangle when wet.

Linnykinz
August 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
ah. Does he have fine strands, medium or coarse? What is his porosity? I'd also invest in a pair of hair cutting scissors(sp?) from the local BSS, or drugstore if you can find them and get rid of his ratty ends. blowdry it straight, or band it as straight as you can and trim 1/2inch to and inch off.

My hair prefers no-cones, using shampoo bars, and finishing with some sort of acid rinse after washing. I use a cheap regular conditoner as a leave in, and put some of this cone and minderal oil free body butter on my ends before I gell it for a wash and go.

Aussie moist could be a good conditioner for him. It has a cone low on the list like his other, and it's natorious for being uber mosturising. But he deffinitly needs a trim if he gets frustrated and and rips the pick through his hair. Tell him to detangle when load down with conditioner if he doesn't already, and to only detangle when wet.

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood. His strands are coarse, and I'm pretty sure it is "compact", low porosity (sorry, I'm a porosity newb, is that the right term?) It never seems to want to absorb anything really. Which is awesome really, my damaged hair takes forever to dry, and his is very healthy and resilient, but it makes it hard to do any treatments. I'm kicking myself for not having taken a picture yet!!

I've just read some reviews for Aussie moist, it sounds like a great product. I will probably pick some of this up and mix it with oil and who knows, maybe sunbathe while we wait :) I never considered Aussie products to be honest, and he only cares about how the condish smells, not what it does :rolleyes: Also, very off topic, do you use aloe vera gel or other gels?

I'm learning so much right now, sorry to bombard you!

lillithnight
August 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I like the LA looks sport gel and Eco styler olive. But I do want to try aloe vera gel and ecostyler Krystal.

If he has coarse hair he really doesn't need products with protein in it, eco styler might not be his best option. It has protein, and he should be careful with that. But he should only detangle soaking wet and loaded with conditioner. I have to put my hair into 8 sections to detangle. He might want to try smaller sections for detangling.

Linnykinz
August 14th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I like the LA looks sport gel and Eco styler olive. But I do want to try aloe vera gel and ecostyler Krystal.

If he has coarse hair he really doesn't need products with protein in it, eco styler might not be his best option. It has protein, and he should be careful with that. But he should only detangle soaking wet and loaded with conditioner. I have to put my hair into 8 sections to detangle. He might want to try smaller sections for detangling.

Thanks so much for your help, I will be back with results on my experiment hehe :)

LittleRainbow
August 14th, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is really interesting! Even if I don't know (or have seen) anyone with that sort of hair, It sounds awesome!:D

Can't wait for pics :eyebrows:

lillithnight
August 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Well now you will see 4a hair. Well 3c/4a http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/silvereyes781/PICT0099.jpg Its a bit blury but you can see how tight my curl pattern is.

Lianna
August 15th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I'd suggest a little shea butter on his ends, you can mix it with oil to make it a little lighter, but I think would be fine on its own. I say this because I've heard that it's good on 4a hair, it's a bit heavy for me as leave in, however I do DT with it and the results are really soft. :)