PDA

View Full Version : People that don't get split ends

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I see lots of posts around here about s&d-ing and trimming split ends away. But are there other people like me who just don't get split ends? The only time I've ever gotten split ends was when I bleached the ever living day lights out of my hair.:o

My hair is by no means perfect. It does get dry.Especially with hard water and climate changes.

Are split ends genectic? Are some people just prone to them?If you don't get split ends do you not trim your hair as much?

LILBERT
August 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Its very rare i get splits. Very rare! i might find 2 every 6 months or so. lol, i used to joke i have strands of steel because they are really corse.

Dont get me wrong, i do need to trim! and i do get damage, but it doesnt usually come out in splits. My just just tends to velcro and go frizzy, and the ends go rat-tail like when its damaged.

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Its very rare i get splits. Very rare! i might find 2 every 6 months or so. lol, i used to joke i have strands of steel because they are really corse.

Dont get me wrong, i do need to trim! and i do get damage, but it doesnt usually come out in splits. My just just tends to velcro and go frizzy, and the ends go rat-tail like when its damaged.

Yes,when my hair is sad it just gets really dry and uncooperative. My mom doesn't get splits either come to think of it.

LouLaLa
August 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I very rarely get splits, maybe 2-3 every few months. I did damage my hair with dye though a while back.

I go six months without a trim now and try to leave my hair alone to just do its thing.

I dont dye now and I never really used heat anyway (maybe 2 times a year if that).

I do however get a six month trim wether I need it or not just to make sure I even up the length :)

xoxophelia
August 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I get very few splits as well. If I do they are very very small.

I'm still not exactly sure why that is because my hair is damaged from years of flat irons, curling irons, blow drying, chlorine, washing every day, AND multiple colorings haha.

When my hair gets damaged it just gets dull and stiff or something.

Heidi_234
August 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Notice that most of you have 'young' and probably not heavily processed hair. You ends are just few years old, and without too much abuse, it is not suppose to split. When it will many years old are quite a few inches longer, it would take alot of TLC and protective updos to keep it in condition this good. :wink:

JesusFreak88
August 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM
You know what? You are just special. Me? No of course not. *turns green in envy*

Annalouise
August 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I wonder what causes split ends? I wonder if they are man-made?
For instance, they could be caused by brushing or using a bad comb?
Or, perhaps they are the result of a product?

I got a trim recently and I have changed my routine and I'll be interested to see if I get split ends. (I also stopped brushing my hair).:) I only comb very gently now.

Fethenwen
August 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hmm, I wonder if I will get splits then if it gets long enough? I have had bsl hair a few times and never had splits at that length either. But I think I remember that one time I had one split because I had highlights put in. And now I don't have any of course.

I wonder what sort of hair gets splits more easily? Coarse or fine hair? I think we have had this discussion before, but I'll ask it anyway.

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Notice that most of you have 'young' and probably not heavily processed hair. You ends are just few years old, and without too much abuse, it is not suppose to split. When it will many years old are quite a few inches longer, it would take alot of TLC and protective updos to keep it in condition this good. :wink:

My ends are quite abused ( well they used to be).What brought me to LHC what my hair literally fried off from bleaching out indigo.:( I'm ashamed to admit that I was a former hair abusing.Blowfrying,bleaching,coloring,the whole nine. I hope I can keep it in awesome condition when it gets extremely long!

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm, I wonder if I will get splits then if it gets long enough? I have had bsl hair a few times and never had splits at that length either. But I think I remember that one time I had one split because I had highlights put in. And now I don't have any of course.

I wonder what sort of hair gets splits more easily? Coarse or fine hair? I think we have had this discussion before, but I'll ask it anyway.

Maybe when it's super long,the hair is more prone to splits from mechanical damage and the hair being 'old'.

Shany
August 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Even with bleach and hair dye, I rarely get split ends. Sometimes I see bent ends though. When my ends are damaged, its feels dry, tangly and tends to velcro. When my hair was past BSL and much healthier than now, I didn't get any splits.

BattahZ
August 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
The only time I've ever really gotten splits was when I was in my relaxer/permanent dye phase. Then, oh boy did I have splits.

But normally, even when my hair was close to waist length, I don't get split ends. I only trim every 3-4 months usually, when my hair needs more shape (or the ends start getting crunchy or frizzy).

Maybe trim need manifests itself differently. My ends just seem to get irredeemably dry, which is what tells me they need to go!

tinti
August 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't get split ends easily. It seems like my hair is really strong. Even when I had highlights/streaks in it it didn't get damaged too much :)

Joliebaby
August 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
My hair is very resilient. Dyeing only will not make it split, or even dry. Highlighting and bleaching will do both, however. My hair needs to be super damaged though to show more than the occasional split end, and as I can't stand straw-like damaged hair it never gets that far!

I now have highlights and I've only found ONE split end.

May
August 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
*raises hand* I rarely get split ends especially since I stopped using permanent dye.

I do consider myself lucky because I can grow for quite a long time without having to trim. I also have very wavy hair so the unevenness isn't very obvious.

I have the kind of hair that grows out 'gracefully' haha ;)

EdG
August 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I never get split ends. I can't remember finding a split end in the past decade.

The ends of my longest strands are old and fragile. They tend to break rather than split.
Ed

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I never get split ends. I can't remember finding a split end in the past decade.

The ends of my longest strands are old and fragile. They tend to break rather than split.
Ed

Yaay!!! I guess I got my answer then.Hopefully as my hair keeps growing I also won't get any splits.

Btw: I just love your hair.:D

jackie_brown
August 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I had a lot of split ends in the past years, when i did blonde highlights on my hair... i could notice the split ends after only two weeks from my last haircut ! :mad::mad:
From when i decided to have no more highlights on my hair, split ends disappeared.
I can feel that my ends are exhausted and thin if I don't cut my hair for many months.
Another cause for my last split ends was a terrible choppy V-cut made with thinning scissors -.-

EdG
August 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Btw: I just love your hair.:DThank you! :flower:
Ed

scottishsttr
August 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I was just looking at my ends this morning after my shower, thinking about S&D then realized that I have *never* had split ends, regardless of how long my hair has been in the past (mid back at the end of law school.) Glad you started this thread, because I was wondering if I was alone in the "no split ends" category!!

LouLaLa
August 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I second that Ed your hair is awesome!

LadyLately
August 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I don't get splits often, but that's probably because I've never brushed wet hair except in emergencies (job, no comb, on a day I interact with customers), and I've always been way too lazy to blowdry my hair (had tailbone until 13).

HikerTrash
August 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I don't get many split ends and those that I do get are very very small, only a millimeter or two.

Bianca
August 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I never get splits, yay :D

FrannyG
August 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I haven't seen a split end on my hair in three years. I used to get split ends when I heat-styled, even at a much shorter length than I have now.

However, even though I dye my hair, there is not a split end to be seen on my head.

EdG
August 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I second that Ed your hair is awesome!Thank you! :flower:

I seem to have hijacked another thread. :couch:
Ed

Roseate
August 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
The only time I've really seen split ends in my hair was last year, when I went for a full year without trimming. Then I saw a couple. Normally, I trim twice a year and don't see any splits.

deko
August 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
When I was younger and didn't overprocess my hair I rarely had any spilt ends. I had very tough hair.

But.

I have colored my hair for about 10 years, including a couple of color removals and other nasties so my ends scream for help. And splits and breaks.

Now that I've learned to take better care of my hair and have stopped box-dyeing my ends are still fragile and I should do regular S&D (I don't) or trim away the damaged lenght (4 inches to go).

My virgin hair or hennaed virgin doesn't split easily, so I'm waiting the moment I've clipped off all the damaged parts.

Flaxen
August 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I never had many splits, either, even when I was lightening, blowdrying, curling-ironing, crimping, hot roller setting (not all at once, of course :silly: ). Like Ed, my hair would break off but not split. Now that I don't do any of those things any more, I haven't found a split in...years?

rags
August 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I used to think I got splits - but my hair is so baby fine it was always two hairs! My hairdresser has never been able to find a single split in my hair. However, that's just because it's so fine and fragile it just breaks off instead!

LILBERT
August 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Could be, although i have had waist length hair in the past worn down every day and it was exactly the same. :shrug:

christine1989
August 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'm like you, I never get split ends (now). I used to though. When I used to heat style EVERY end was a split end. I think with me it has a lot to do with how thick my strands are and the fact that I focus on moisturizing my ends.

pepperminttea
August 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM

My hair's virgin ;) - no dyes, perming, heat-styling - nada. I keep it in updos 99% of the time, detangle it with fingers and a wide-tooth comb gently, and I do still get quite a few splits. Less than I did pre-LHC, definitely, but still quite a number. I think after a certain point, when you're looking after it and have minimised the outside factors, some people are just more prone to splits. Much envy of the OP though; want to swap? :eyebrows:

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 09:28 PM
My hair's virgin ;) - no dyes, perming, heat-styling - nada. I keep it in updos 99% of the time, detangle it with fingers and a wide-tooth comb gently, and I do still get quite a few splits. Less than I did pre-LHC, definitely, but still quite a number. I think after a certain point, when you're looking after it and have minimised the outside factors, some people are just more prone to splits. Much envy of the OP though; want to swap? :eyebrows:

Hhhmm so maybe it is a genetic thing. Or perhaps ancestry?

Hehe,my hair will not be up for swap anytime soon.:p

luxepiggy
August 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
this is so interesting! I have actually been thinking about this a lot recently, as I am also one of the lucky group that does not get split ends, and I have had waist length or longer hair for my whole life.

I remember in high school, asking a friend what split ends were. She picked up a bit of my hair and said "here, I'll show you" . . . .she gave up after 10 minutes and showed me one in her hair instead :D

RachelRain
August 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I only get splits on the shorter hairs right on the sides of my face because they catch in my glasses and break. And that's why they're short - cuz I can't get them to grow. It's a very annoying circular problem.

The rest of my hair is split and white dot free - I actually got yelled at earlier by my boyfriend's nieces because whenever they grow their hair out it gets tons of them - to which I had to say 'yes, but I also don't use straightening irons, blowdryers, curling irons, bleach and peroxide, etc...' Needless to say, they shut up, but they were mad. lol.

teela1978
August 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I don't get many splits until my hair hits about waist length. Then I get a few. The longer it gets the more I get. When I'm BSL-ish I have to search very hard to find any though.

Capybara
August 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I find that the finer hairs (framing my face, and the underlayer about my nape) on my head split much more easily than the coarser hairs. Maybe finer hair is more split prone than coarser hair?

Fufu
August 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'm pretty lucky no hair spilts for me not matter how long my hair is

ktani
August 14th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hhhmm so maybe it is a genetic thing. Or perhaps ancestry?

Hehe,my hair will not be up for swap anytime soon.:p

Genetics definitely play a part in terms of hair resiliency, http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip8888001.htm.

Split ends are caused by dryness, http://www.hairscientists.org/trichoptilosis.htm, which can be helped and prevented by changing one's routine and products.

cm006j
August 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I've never seen a split end. I keep thinking that I must just not understand what they look like or something, but I've looked at pictures and read descriptions and I've never seen it on my hair.

I read about S+D and I went to try it, and each time I thought I saw a split, it turned out to be two separate hairs that were slightly different lengths.

Shrug. I guess I don't have them. I must have really lucked out.

anthonyswife
August 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I don't get split ends either, just very dry ends is all, which I've mostly fixed now. I used to trim about every 6 months, now I trim about once a year.

I used to be kind of conditioned to believe everyone always gets split ends so I must have them too and they must look bad. But really, I've never seen split ends on my hair.

Cinnamoon
August 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Same - no splits. I look for them, but have yet to find even one. Maybe when my hair gets longer I'll find more, but right now I don't have any.

lillylonghair
August 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Genetics definitely play a part in terms of hair resiliency, http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip8888001.htm.

Split ends are caused by dryness, http://www.hairscientists.org/trichoptilosis.htm, which can be helped and prevented by changing one's routine and products.

Thanks for the links!

longblondetan
August 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM
My hair doesn't split, I know my hair is damaged when I wear black shirts and see breakage.

Kristin
August 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I don't get splits, either. My ends get dry, so I'll snip of invisible bits of hair, do a deep treatment, and then it's happy again. My mom has tons of splits, but she does a lot of mechanical damage (brushing starting at the top of her wet hair, ouch!).

30isthenewblack
August 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've never had many split ends either. The ones I find now are quite tiny and are the result of bleaching my hair. I think some hair types are more prone to split ends than other. My neighbour who had beautiful curly hair and then got straight hair extensions had one inch split ends in her extensions. I'd never seen so many split ends in my life!

Arctic_Mama
August 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I think it depends, but I haven't ever really had split ends except when I was bleaching pieces of hair and razoring them. Even then, splits were raw. I have found a few along my ends but those are the remnants of the color/lightening damage and epwere heat styled to boot. My virgin hair doesn't seem to get them.

triumphator!
August 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
while I have trouble seeing the hair on the back of my head, I think I rarely get splits either. I posted a thread a long time ago that was like, "UH, what do splits look like, because I see none," and people assured me that I might just not have any. Also, some people's hair damages in ways other than splits, so we're all equal :D

Teufelchen
August 15th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I get very few split ends, only if I braid to often.

Octave
August 15th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Another cause for my last split ends was a terrible choppy V-cut made with thinning scissors -.-

Oh boy do I know what that is like.
Never ever had split ends in my entire life until I decided to get a nifty haircut from a professional hairdresser. She finished it off by using thinning scissors and giving me several layers. Big mistake!
In April my hair was in such a bad state, tons of split ends, that I had to cut it shoulder length. :(
Never ever going to a hairdresser again...
Now my hair is back to it's normal state again, so no more split ends ever again! :inlove:

irisheyes
August 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Never had a split end, no matter how damaged my ends have been. Instead my hair likes to just snap off at a weak point along the strand. Gentle combing and styling have been helpful with that.

st.spell
August 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
i never had split ends. i take care very much of my hair and i`ve never seen something like this before.my hair is healty.i guess i could say that those split ends are caused by hair products which are not good,or you can get them when you don t take care enough of your hair.that s my opinion.

Clarisse
August 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oh you lucky !¤"%#¤%&/! :P
I think 50% of all my strands have splits on them - even though I am very gentle with it. No dye, no heat styling, no bleach, no perms, no rough detangling. They don't move up along the strands, though. It's probably genetic...

Dr. Girlfriend
August 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I don't seem to get them. When I was bleaching in my teenage years I would occasionally see one but was very rare. My ends just get really dry and velcro like when there's damage.

Morgaine
August 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I very rarely get split ends as well.
But my hip length hair is far from perfect, it tappers a lots and sometimes get fairy knots.

Women in my familly rarely have split ends whatever their hair length may be, so I guess it has a lot to do with genes.

Sara Smile
August 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
My hair is just about classic length now, and I get maybe one or two split ends in a year. I don't bother to S&D because my hair seems very sturdy.

My mother's hair doesn't get split ends either, but her hair is much coarser than mine (it may have been finer when she was younger). I'm not sure if her hair is similar to mine or not, since her hair was blonde and darkened to brown, while my hair was strawberry blonde and is darkening to red/auburn.

I think some people don't get split ends, and other people do, while damage exacerbates the tendency. But that's just my opinion.

Zindell
August 17th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I hardly ever see any split ends, yet I only trim my hair about every third or fourth month.

In fact, I wonder if it's not the actual cut of a hair that can bring forth splits?

Melisande
August 17th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I haven't seen a split end since I was 16. And that's - hm - 30 years ago. My hair doesn't split. When I cut it 2 months ago, it was at tailbone - now it's midback. No split ends then, no split ends now.

I get the velcro, I get the ratty, I get the unccoperative - I don't get the split.

YEAH for my hair! (I NEVER said that before!)

Chestershire
August 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I've never had a split end in my entire life. Not even with my very crappy post-LHC routine. Though I search for them everyday. I think that when I've finally found one, I'm gonna tell everyone about it. Superenthusiastic!! :D

Darkhorse1
August 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I would guess it would be variant on lifestyle and other habits.

I never had bad splits until I started teaching and working with horses as a career. It took it's toll on my hair. Sun bleaching to winter winds, and especially when I had to leave my hair down to ride as opposed to putting it in my helmet (new helmets, better safety, but no room for hair).

I've learned alot here and I don't get tons of splits, but I do get them :)

MandyBeth
August 18th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I can get damage, but with no heat and nice handling I don't find splits. However, that relates to my fine hair. I get the ends that break off mostly.

luxepiggy
August 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Question for those who mention ends breaking off - how do you know that your ends break off, exactly? Does a strand look different if the end has broken off? Now I'm wondering if perhaps my ends break off too and I'm just not aware of it! ( ' (oo) ' )

Flaxen
August 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Question for those who mention ends breaking off - how do you know that your ends break off, exactly? Does a strand look different if the end has broken off? Now I'm wondering if perhaps my ends break off too and I'm just not aware of it! ( ' (oo) ' )
When I would sit on the edge of my bed and brush my hair, my lap would end up with 1/2 to 1 inch pieces of hair on it. Also, despite almost never trimming, my hair remained at midback for about 12 years. It was breaking at about the same rate it was growing. :eek:

Smile4Kiki
August 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
I have never actually seen splits in my hair. As a teen I just thought everyone got split ends so automatically I would trim my hair every few months until one day I googled split ends and saw what they actually look like. Even when I had longer hair which I dyed all the time I never noticed any but I would get the dry, thinner ends. I did notice some breakage when I was flat ironing frequently but not much since I stopped the heat styling.

DuckyDot
August 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I've never had a Split end. My hair is Virgin though. Also My Mother Doesn't get them either but my Dad (Both have BSL Length Hair) Gets Alot, and those white dots where the hair breaks.

Maybe it is Genetic?

Astraea
January 3rd, 2016, 11:18 PM
Searched for this thread because I was beginning to think I was crazy.

No splits for me either. I've tortured my hair over the years and have eaten junk the majority of my life but splits, fairy knots and tangles have been so extraordinarily rare that I can remember the year and the sin I was committing against my hair at the time. Apparently for some in the naturally curly community, being a type 4 means that me and my hair do not exist.

xox unicorn

Sarahlabyrinth
January 3rd, 2016, 11:40 PM
My hair is F, dyed and only a few inches to go until Classic and I might get 1 or 2 a year. I don't S & D, just if I happen to notice a split in passing, I will snip it off. I try to keep my hair and in particular my ends well moisturised and I try to be really gentle with my hair and I'm sure it all helps.

Brunettebybirth
January 4th, 2016, 04:23 AM
When I dyed my hair, I had a ton of split ends all the time. Now that I'm not dyeing it, and barely using heat to style...no more split ends. I suppose me treating it gently especially when wet helps too.:o

lapushka
January 4th, 2016, 04:48 AM
I rarely get splits. Even when my hair was permed, it was riddled with white dots, but splits? Maybe one or two in the whole time I grew out that perm. And now, ever since my hair went all virgin, not one split in sight. I don't often check, but when I do, I don't see any. I'm not an obsessive checker, I have to say that. I'll glance at my ends once or twice a year (and that's a lot). I do keep my hair *very* moisturized, though, and I think that is key in preventing splits. I firmly believe that!

Mirabele
January 4th, 2016, 05:01 AM
i was thinking about that too. i had alway had very little to no split ends. i trim my hair only once or twice a year, so theoretically i should have split ends, but no. having heard here so much about s&d and split ends from people with fantastic healthy long hair, i came to conclusion, that my hair break off instead of splitting. my hair is not in good shape, especially my length/ends, and no split ends can not be good sign. i tried to search for split ends lately, but seldom find any, like one single hair in a month. i really believe that because previuos damage (bleach and hair dryer and strong shampoos and freequent washing) my hair is so weakened that split ends just break off by themselves.

Mirabele
January 4th, 2016, 05:06 AM

oh if it happens, you see it. not on particular strands, no, but you see small pieces of hair everywhere. before my LHC routine, i had breakage all the time. small pieces of hair (1-2 cm) was everywhere, on my clothes, on my chair in my office, i could see small pieces of hair falling literally everywhere around me, especially when (if) i brushed. i know it stopped because i now longer see that.

it may be harder to see if you have dark hair. i had bleached hair so it was very noticable, esp on black clothes.

Nique1202
January 4th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Since I got the worst of my ponytail elastic damage trimmed out and found the shampoo and conditioners that I've been using, I've been finding maybe one split end a week, from a height of 15-20 a week. I don't S&D fully since the big dropoff, but I have a peek at the tail and the shreds when I braid my hair, or I'll just pick up a few random sections when I'm wearing it loose if I get bored or need to fidget with something. Not the most thorough, but it gives me a good idea of how my hair's doing anyway.

Splits definitely seem to be a combination of damage accumulation, moisture/protein levels, and the individual structure of a person's hair making it more or less prone to damage showing up as splits. Some people's hair won't split except under extreme duress, some people can find a balance that keeps hair from splitting, and some people's hair just grows in a split-friendly way from the start and there's sometimes not much they can do to stop it.

WaitingSoLong
January 4th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Well this is an old thread!

I pretty much never gets splits, even when my hair was FTL and bleached. I vote for genetic.

meteor
January 4th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I think split ends are highly preventable, maybe not completely (for fragile, compromised or ultra-fine hair), but preventable to a good degree...
I think mechanical damage is likely to be the biggest culprit, but hair that is already compromised (e.g. bleached, permed, with accumulated heat damage...) will be less resistant to wear and tear and to all that regular mechanical grooming and manipulation that can result in splitting.
I only had split ends when my hair was already chemically treated (highlighted) and on top of that I treated it horribly: ripped a low-quality brush through hair when it was wet, skipped conditioning and washed way too often. Now, I haven't seen a split end in many years since I changed my ways, even though I still have highlighted ends and haven't trimmed in ages... but I really believe that the reason I don't get split ends is because I always put hair up, condition/oil it, don't over-wash it, don't brush it, comb it very gently, protect it with hats, sleep on smooth materials and avoid damage as much as possible.

I would guess it would be variant on lifestyle and other habits.

I never had bad splits until I started teaching and working with horses as a career. It took it's toll on my hair. Sun bleaching to winter winds, and especially when I had to leave my hair down to ride as opposed to putting it in my helmet (new helmets, better safety, but no room for hair).

This definitely makes a lot of sense to me. :agree: It makes me think of a metaphor on the condition of a flag folded up in a drawer vs. the same flag frayed by the wind and all the elements. UV rays, wind, constant rubbing and tangling can definitely make a massive difference.

lapis_lazuli
January 4th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Damage to my hair usually comes in the form of split ends so I would say I'm prone to them. However, I don't find other types of damage, like bent edges.
I'm not sure if it's genetic... I think it's simply the make-up of the hair in addition to how you treat it. I still have a little bleach in mine, which compromises the integrity of those strands. My hair has come a long way since I started to S&D and I hardly find them at all now :inlove:

jazzhands
January 4th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I rarely get splits but my ends get SO velcro-y and start curling in at the ends so trims are a must. My hair's quite coarse as well so I'll often run my finger down a single hair and the damaged parts look almost chewed-on.

bunneh.
January 4th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I agree with meteor. I have a lot of split ends and blame it on the way I treated it (or... neglected it) these past years. I'm trying to sleep on a satin pillowcase nowadays, with a protective hairstyle and I try to wear my hair in a bun secured with a fork most of the time, but the damage is still there from years ago. I believe once I cut these split ends and learn to take care of my hair even better and put all my knowledge about moisturizing and protective hairstyles and other things to practice, I'll be able to minimize them.

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Well I'm on the weird boat again. My hair doesn't split either. I left my hair untrimmed for 2 years and while my ends were insanely thin, there was zero splits.

I have fine hair, wear it down pretty much 80% of time, don't use conditioner, sleep with it loose and brush it at least 5 times a day, yet there is not split whatsoever. I have to add that I don't dye my hair and micro trim it every month, those could be the reasons! Chemical damage is in my opinion the 1 reason to get split ends!

pailin
January 4th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I've been able to minimize the split ends- I actually had almost none for 2 years, but that was beginning around shoulder. This has usually been why I would trim. I'm getting them more now as it gets longer and as it's longer since my last trim. Even with the best care I can take. So I think my hair is just prone to them.

Upside Down
January 5th, 2016, 02:45 AM
For me it is heat. Now I have them because 15 months ago I went for blow outs weekly for about two months, so there's lots of accumulated damage.

When I had dyed hair but I didn't heat style I didn't know what splits are.

hennalonghair
January 5th, 2016, 03:05 AM
I have thick, dry , coarse , wavy/curly hair that's about 34 inches long and I rarely if ever get split ends but when I was younger and didn't know how to care for my hair I had tons of them.
Now I know how to care for my hair much better. One thing that probably helped the most is by applying a Shea butter combination to my hair every morning before my updos and a bit on the ends before bed. I rub a pea sized amount into my hands first and smooth it into my ends. At first it appears a tad greasy but my hair just soaks it up and loves it.
I can always tell how healthy my hair is because the ends curl when it's healthy and don't when it's not.
When my ends start losing their curl permanently it means I need a bit of a trim which I'll do.
I don't have the mentality of longer is better. I want hair that's healthy from the root to tip that holds my texture all the way down and I'm quite anal about it:lol:

LateRose
January 12th, 2016, 08:29 PM
What about the health factor? Isn't hair like a record of your personal health? I never used to get split ends, but I've been consistently very ill for the past 9 years. My hair now has *all* the different kinds of splits, which often extend clear up to the last 5 inches of growth. (I've been getting better) That is 10-25 inch splits! S&D is a nightmare.
I do bun my hair every day. So there is plenty of possible mechanical damage. But no heat styling, never colored, and fairly gentle combing/washing.
I'm interested to see if my hair continues to improve with my health!

Chocowalnut
January 13th, 2016, 12:28 AM
I used to have really damaged over bleached and straightened hair. It was dry full and frizzy but I didn't get splits. Now, my hair is healthy with almost all of that hair cut off now but I seem to get splits a lot more easily now. The only thing I can think is before my individual stands were thicker/coarser from damage and now they're very fine. I also get fairy knots a lot now and never did before I embraced my natural hair.

meteor
January 13th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I used to have really damaged over bleached and straightened hair. It was dry full and frizzy but I didn't get splits. Now, my hair is healthy with almost all of that hair cut off now but I seem to get splits a lot more easily now. The only thing I can think is before my individual stands were thicker/coarser from damage and now they're very fine. I also get fairy knots a lot now and never did before I embraced my natural hair.

Oh wow, that's very interesting! :bigeyes: Did you keep your hair shorter back when you bleached and straightened it, Chocowalnut? :hmm: Longer hair might be more prone to splits just by virtue of the age, the wear and tear over time...
Another thing that I can imagine is that your ends might still have a bit of that old damage and since more time passed (and damage is cumulative and irreversible), those ends had to go through additional wear & tear with time, so now they are finally developing those split ends, maybe? :hmm: (I don't know, I would try to eliminate all extra wear & tear and become even more protective with hair: hats/scarves, sleeping on silk/satin, putting hair up whenever possible, no over-washing/over-grooming, conditioning and oiling more...)

Elizabeth E
April 18th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Since I started wearing my hair up in a cinnamon bun every day, with the ends oiled (castor oil is my fave) and tucked underneath, I rarely get splits and when I do, they're extremely small. I always check my hair for splits after a wash - when it is entirely dry and there is no oil sealing the ends together - but I usually find none. The only reason I microtrim every 6 months, is to keep my hemline neat.
I guess I should feel really blessed.

Katsura
April 18th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I don't get a lot of split ends, maybe I can find one or two when I S&D. I do get some breakage from tangling (white dots), and I think I have some build up from dyeing that makes my strands a bit stiffer, sometimes velcroish, and I need a lot of oiling and conditioning to get flexibility. I am now taking a break from dyeing every month, maybe I can get rid of some of the build up.

bparnell75
April 18th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I haven't seen a split end in years. I do treat my tresses gently and always wear a protective style, I use regular shampoos and hair aids. I often blow dry because I am in a hurry to go somewhere. I remember a few when I was in high school when I did pin curls alot.

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I am shocked that you guys don't get splits. I mean just the elements alone cause damage for most people. Very lucky.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I am shocked that you guys don't get splits. I mean just the elements alone cause damage for most people. Very lucky.

I don't know why. I'd like to think it's the way I moisturize it all. Especially now since I've incorporated the oil rinse as a constant (for 22 consecutive weeks now), it's been great for me.

Beeboo123
April 18th, 2018, 12:45 PM
I find one or two a month. I do get splits, but they never travel up, they just break off to form a nice little tapered end, that doesn’t get damaged further.

Larki
April 18th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I don't know why. I'd like to think it's the way I moisturize it all. Especially now since I've incorporated the oil rinse as a constant (for 22 consecutive weeks now), it's been great for me.

I have started doing this, Lapushka! I've been doing LOC and WCC pretty much the whole time I've been at LHC, except when I was co-washing, and I've noticed a dramatic difference in the number and severity of my splits since then, as well as with stretching washes, but I started doing rinse-out oil before my last conditioner with my last wash. I'm using coconut oil. For me, my splits seem to be drastically reduced with dedication to keeping the ends moisturized and oiled (and up!). I definitely still get them, but I've cut it down to finding about 15-20 every few months when I do S&D.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 18th, 2018, 03:17 PM
I never thought people like this existed lol

Dark40
April 18th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I hardly ever get any split ends. I only have to do S&D once or twice a year. I haven't had any uneveness since I was a child, and my mom used to take good care of my hair. She would trim an inch or 2 off every 2 months.

gustavonut
April 19th, 2018, 03:02 AM
I haven’t cut my hair in a loooong time. Last time I got it cut was to get rid of the crappy bleached ends and it was a bit longer than shoulder length.. Now I’m a few centimeters from BSL. I haven’t trimmed it or S&D’d and I’ve only encountered a few white dots and bent ends, nothing too alarming. I plan on micro trimming soon, I’m just so lazy to do it.. :rolleyes:

Wendyp
April 19th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Since I started oiling my hair I don’t get split ends.

chrissy-b
April 19th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Same here. I know my hair is really short now, but even when it was waist length I could never find splits. I really haven't seen breakage or splits since I joined this forum. I'm sure there are some there (I remember getting a few on short hairs from scalp brushing a few years back) but they're not noticeable and I never get those big white dots or those tree-type splits anymore.

elfynity
July 29th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Anthonyswife, how did you fix your dry ends?

Wendyp
July 29th, 2018, 02:43 PM
I have zero spilts. Once I figured out what made my hair tick I stopped getting them.

sophia_
July 29th, 2018, 04:18 PM
I wish I belonged in this thread lol, I know a lady with classic-length hair as well with healthier ends than mine and she bleaches it once every 3 months and blow-dries it every day. I've been cursed with hair that can't even handle hot water!

cjk
July 29th, 2018, 04:50 PM
We call these people demons, and they should be shunned.

;)

littlestarface
July 29th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I wish I was one of these people, I literally only wash and comb my hair and I get them less now then before. But I found one split yesterday in a white hair that had fallen out, it was the worst split I ever seen in my life. It was only split on the top part near the root and it split in a circle where the root was still connected together and the bottom of the hair was still together so it was like this> _O___ like this but in hair form, so flippin weird. What is wrong with my hair! I don't do anything bad to you hair why you cant just be healthy with no splits.

lapushka
July 29th, 2018, 05:14 PM
I have zero spilts. Once I figured out what made my hair tick I stopped getting them.

Same for me. I *blame* my washing method. :p

Andthetalltrees
July 30th, 2018, 01:54 AM
I get maybe 2-5 tinsy splits every 6+ months or so, I use to think I NEVER got them but I do they just tend to break off if I ignore them or there's so few I never notice. Only time I've found more was when I used too much protein once. And I'm not careful at all, I wear it down 24/7, I don't carefully detangle, it gets caught on stuff whatever. I think sometimes I should be more appreciative than I am

Xlena
July 30th, 2018, 04:27 AM
I was one of those with no split ends, I barely found 1 or 2 even when I dyed my hair and used heat almost daily. Unfortunately I bleached my hair to a pure white about 2 years ago and now I have a lot and have to do S&D regularly :(, but my natural parts have no split ends at all (and I don't even moisture that area, only shampoo lol). I hope when I have a full head of natural hair I won't have split ends anymore, specially because the hairs are thicker and I don't even use heat :D

Dark40
August 2nd, 2018, 04:50 PM

Same here. I've noticed since I've changed my washing methods to co-washing the majority of the times I hardly have or get any splits. Because, my hair is always kept moisturized.

Wendyp
August 2nd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Same for me. I *blame* my washing method. :p

Same here. I've noticed since I've changed my washing methods to co-washing the majority of the times I hardly have or get any splits. Because, my hair is always kept moisturized.

thats exactly correct, man my hair was such a mess before really paying attention here, and is when I used to listen to hair dressers, because silly me i thought they actually knew about hair :rollin: After trying a bunch of different things i found was really perfect for my hair. I have to oil the ends morning and night, thats been really big.

Dark40
August 2nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
thats exactly correct, man my hair was such a mess before really paying attention here, and is when I used to listen to hair dressers, because silly me i thought they actually knew about hair :rollin: After trying a bunch of different things i found was really perfect for my hair. I have to oil the ends morning and night, thats been really big.

yeah, that's the more reason why I don't go to the hairdressers anymore. I do my own hair. The majority of them these days don't know about how to care for your hair to grow it long. All they are worried about is how to keep it cut short. Yes, you definitely have to make sure you keep those ends oiled morning and night. That is also really big for me too!

daisy rei
August 2nd, 2018, 10:33 PM
I have very fine, delicate hair but I don't really notice any split ends. I do however have more of an issue with breakage? That sounds impossible. The breakage is far more noticeable than any split ends at least.

Arciela
August 2nd, 2018, 10:39 PM
I dont get splits unless I bleach my hair a bunch.

I guess I belong in this thread!

Solgave
August 3rd, 2018, 04:17 AM
I am amazed to see that some people don't get splits!
:joy: nice!

Kaoria
August 3rd, 2018, 06:56 AM
I dont get splits unless I bleach my hair a bunch.

I guess I belong in this thread!
Ditto. And sometimes not even then. After I joined LHC a couple of months ago I discovered S&D (hehe, the newbie!) and I excitedly bought myself a nice pair of hair scissors and sat down to do some S&D. Nothing. Not one split end to trim (and I have dye, bleach, more dye, henna, more bleach and vitamin C treatments too). It was abysmal, I felt so unaccomplished 😂😂

That being said, my hair got from shoulder to waist in less than a year. My ends are less than a year old. Perhaps people’s hair growth rate has something to do with split ends or lack thereoff, after all ‘young’ ends are bound to be in better condition than ends that have been around a while. If another person took two years rather than one to get to say waist length then they would have more splits, I imagine?