PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that use castor oil

wahmof9
August 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
How do you use it and when. I find as sticky as honey and impossible to apply.

Any advice?

christine1989
August 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I dip my fingers in the jar then massage it into my scalp (dipping my fingers in to get more as needed). I don't like to apply it to the rest of my hair because it is so hard to get out. If you find it hard to apply straight castor oil try mixing in some warm coconut oil- it helps it to be more oily in consistancey and less sticky.

serious
August 13th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Same as christine, I massage the scalp with my fingertips or dilute it with some other herbal infused oil.

Castor oil works great on my face too, and has been especially helpful against dark circles.

trinc
August 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I dilute it in some other oil, i.e. olive oil, which is not so thick.

Katze
August 13th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I use it mixed with wheat germ oil as an OCM wash and skin moisturizer, then put the rest onto my length/ends. I almost never use it alone.

marisa
August 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I use it for OCM as well, mixed with grapeseed and olive oils.
I'll have to try that mix on my hair soon.
I did mix some in once with conditioner, warmed it and used on my daughters hair.
The tangles came right out and it was so soft!

hmmm
August 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I dilute it 50:50 with whatever other oil I feel like using.

virgo75
August 13th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I dilute it 50:50 with whatever other oil I feel like using.

This.
Usually Olive Oil.
Actually, I keep a small bottle of the mix in my bathroom for use in my hair as a pre shampoo treatment that I massage into my scalp then wipe my hands on the length. I wash a few hours later or the next morning.

In2wishin
August 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I use mine undiluted but I put it in a squeeze bottle so I can apply it to my roots and scalp then massage it in. I use an herb infused sunflower oil on the rest of my hair. I do both at the same time once a week, let it sit for an hour or two, and wash.

dropinthebucket
August 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Castor oil seems to suit my fine, thin hair better than any of the others. Coconut sits on my hair, making it greasy - castor seems to absorb right into the shaft, and gives me loads of wave.

For the castor: I use the Palma Christi, and put two-three drops on fingertips, then smear these around so all the fingertips are coated. Then I pat gently into wettish hair (maybe half dry? a quarter dry?) from the tips up to the ears. A small bit of finger-combing when it's dry, and it smooths everything completely and evenly, controlling frizz and giving shine, too. I know some people find castor oil too heavy and greasy for ends, or for a leave-in, and just use for a pre-shampoo scalp massage - I think it must really depend on hair type ... ? I can't put it anywhere near my scalp for scalp massage, too greasy.

wahmof9
August 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Castor oil seems to suit my fine, thin hair better than any of the others. Coconut sits on my hair, making it greasy - castor seems to absorb right into the shaft, and gives me loads of wave.

For the castor: I use the Palma Christi, and put two-three drops on fingertips, then smear these around so all the fingertips are coated. Then I pat gently into wettish hair (maybe half dry? a quarter dry?) from the tips up to the ears. A small bit of finger-combing when it's dry, and it smooths everything completely and evenly, controlling frizz and giving shine, too. I know some people find castor oil too heavy and greasy for ends, or for a leave-in, and just use for a pre-shampoo scalp massage - I think it must really depend on hair type ... ? I can't put it anywhere near my scalp for scalp massage, too greasy.

Thanks I think I will try that and then report:D

prettigurl
August 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I mix it with leave in cream (garnier sleek and shine). I apply it like a gel or styling cream. The combo gives me great hold

CrisDee
August 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
I have a couple questions as well.

Someone mentioned buying it in a jar - I've only seen it in the laxative section in a bottle, where do you find it in a jar? Sounds like it would be much easier to dip fingers into than trying to pour it from a jar.

And do you use it for length or for scalp? Do you find that you get faster or better growth using it?

Oh, and is this a pre-shampoo treatment or leave-in?

Bet these questions are answered somewhere else, but I'm terrible at finding things using the search engine :(

dropinthebucket
August 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Crisdee, I think many of us are using it for scalp massage to promote growth - some people say it is helping their growth, others that it is stopping or decreasing their shedding, and still others that it helps re-grow a problem hairline.

Myself, I'd like to try that, but it is too heavy and greasy for my greasy-prone scalp - the couple of times I've put it there, I've had to wash and wash and wash to get it out - nothing short of a clarifying shampoo would get it out. Even the conditioning rinse first didn't help. Guess that's just my scalp ....

However, my dry ends cannot do without it! Every time I think, well, let's just see what they look like without it, I quickly run back to my Palma Christi castor oil when I feel the velcro. Silicones seem to make my hair tangle, I don't know why. Coconut oil leaves the ends crunchy. EVOO is just horribly greasy and awful on my hair. But the length LOVES castor oil.

So, long story short, it may depend on your hair - maybe experiment with it and see what your hair likes about it, if anything - length, scalp, how much, etc. In the winter I can do up to five drops for the length, and in the summer, two is good. Hope that helps! :)

angelthadiva
August 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm currently using 2T of Caster oil mixed with Sage and Rosemary EO to stimulate my eyebrow growth. I got tweezer happy :(