PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Frizz w/ shampoo bars?

johnnystiletto
August 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I started using CV shampoo bars a little over a month ago, with mixed results. My hair did NOT like the Herb Garden, but LOVES the Butter Bar. Right now, I am trying the Coconut Milk bar, and am having some issues with it.

I love shampoo bars since I can now go about 3 days between washes (which, in 100+ degree Alabama summer, is impressive), but I can only use the bars with no added scent (since strong scents trigger both migraine and asthma symptoms in me).

I've done ACV rinses (we have hard water), and my hair always seems to feel great, with lots of slip, WHILE THE ACV IS ON MY HAIR. As soon as it's rinsed, my hair feels squeaky again. My current issues is serious canopy frizz. In fact, my hair doesn't really settle down and look "normal' until about 24 hours after I wash with a shampoo bar.

I tried oiling with coconut oil after my last wash, once my hair was 95% dry. All that did was leave the back of my hair feeling MORE sticky and like doll hair. I already know that my hair prefers oiling to protein (which is why I won't be trying the Honey, Beer, and Egg), but I've never had my hair feel like this. It is nearly impossible to detangle, and I have actually considered trying Kimberlily's detanger/frizz spray to see if that helps.

Any advice? Does anyone else have the frizz issue? I have looked through the huge shampoo bar thread, and will go ahead and tell you that I do lather multiple times, use an ACV rinse, and rinse with cool water. I HOPE that this is just a case of my hair REALLY not liking the coconut milk bar.

zule
August 13th, 2010, 01:13 AM
A friend here switches around in phases and often spends time with shampoo bars. She has bad crown frizz and says CHI silk does wonders--just a drop or two. It's not cheap, but you can buy the smallest size to try, and using only a teeny amount makes the bottle last longer.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. Good luck!

johnnystiletto
August 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I'm actually starting to wonder if this is a protein issue - is coconut milk a protein?? I KNOW I rinsed my hair VERY well, and today it feels almost gummy. Not sticky or squeaky like doll hair, but almost greasy. Really, it feels like it's still wet, when it's definitely not.

I also noticed a gunky white residue on my comb (easy to see since it's black) - it has to be from this particular bar since I just cleaned the comb a few days ago.

I think I might borrow my BF's Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo and give that a try and go back to my beloved Butter Bar and see if that helps. Ideally I'd like to steer clear of any cones to make it feel/look better, mainly since I had a really rough adjustment period transitioning from cones to shampoo bars.