PDA

View Full Version : getting very concerned

geosangel
August 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have been following a schedule without fail since february. Biotin, MSM, and GNC Hair Nourish every day, never comb wet hair, CO, satin pillowcase, no towel drying, no silicone products, no hair spray, wooden comb from bottom up, etc. I had about 3 inchec of growth since Feb. and all was great. I have regular thyroid tests done (had cancer and 1/2 removed but on no meds) and all tests come back good. The last 2 weeks I have had a Severe shed, and after tonights fright in the shower, I am scared. I lost 4 handfulls of random hair (no bald spots thank goodness). It started out as 1 or 2 handfullls last week, and has increased. I dont get it. I have lost at least 1/2 inch of ponytail thickness as well. Any ideas? I'm calling the Dr tomorrow. Sorry for the long post.

Capybara
August 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Oh dear! I think you are taking the right step in visiting the doctor. Hope this gets resolved soon :blossom: (((hugs)))

pepperminttea
August 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Are you stressed about something? Is your diet okay? Those are the two things that generally set me off shedding more than usual.

tanya222
August 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Geosangel, I am so sorry this is happening to you! ((hugs))

Losing handfuls at a time must indeed be very frightening for you! Sorry I don't have any helpful advice, but I do sympathize and agree that seeing your doctor is the best thing!

Do keep us posted on what your doctor tells you!:blossom:

geosangel
August 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have been stressed, but no more than usual. My diet has improved as well. The only factors that have changed are the weather, (much hotter and I'm outside more lately) and I had to use a regular shampoo on my scalp twice in the last month due to heavy mud and sand in my hair from 4 wheeling. I conditioned immediately after, and there were no tangles or dryness. Could that be it or am I grabbing at straws?

geosangel
August 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the hugs, and I will kepp you all posted :)

UltraBella
August 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Good luck !!!!! I hope you get it figured out, that would be stressful !

urara12
August 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
hi! geosangel.
I am sorry to hear about your shed. I had shed problem too.
so I know how it can be stressful.
mayebe seasonal? or t would be stressful.
or do you chemical dye?

LaurelSpring
August 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Products have been the cause for my shed emergencies. Discontinue whatever you used recently that was in conjunction with the shed and retrace your steps. When I got freaked out from shedding I used castor oil. It stopped the shed almost overnight. I did several nights of castor oil soaks and then backed down to every other night then once a week until it was under control. Castor oil worked great for me.

christine1989
August 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I had a thinning problem as well although it progressed more slowly so it was hard to catch. When I had a blood test done it showed that my iron was shockingly low. I began taking iron suppliments and slowly the shedding stopped and my hair got thicker. I hear low iron is a common cause of thinning hair (especially in women) so definatly check it out.

Luckysock
August 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
*hugs* don't worry, you will get to the bottom of it in time and what has fallen out will grow back

lsnyder09
August 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I sure hope the doctors can figur it out. I am so sorry you are going through the stress of hair loss.

pinkrice
August 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I hope the doctor's goes well. They will probably sort things out.
I'm shedding too right now. -- It definitely is stressful to shed and that can make it worse.
You're in my thoughts/prayers geosangel!

tanya222
August 16th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Was the doctor able to pinpoint any reasons for it?

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I apologize for the long absence, but I believe I finally found out what was causing the hair loss, which has slowed tremendously. The Dr could not find any reason, so I have spent this last few months experimenting by removing 1 thing at a time from my regimen, and, if no difference, adding it back again to make double sure. Oddly enough, when I removed the msm from my routine, I noticed a marked reduction in hair loss! I still take/do all of my other routine things, and now, I have the same normal amount of shedding as I did before, but no handfuls of hair coming out. Whats strange is the fact that I have searched for info about it causing hair loss, and have come up empty handed. The way I see it, oh well, at least I found the cause of the evil, and removed it. I have to update my profile pic, as I am now shoulder length, and working towards bra strap length :) Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to update you all once I was absolutely sure of the cause ;)

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
One last strange thing I forgot to add...it seems as though there are hundreds of baby hairs re growing (about 2 inches long) all over my head as well, almost like a new layer of hair from where I lost hair before, and, I am amazed at the fact that I noticed my first few white hairs (weird, I'm only 37, lol) I thought they were grey, but on close inspection, they are snow white. I think they're pretty neat looking ;)

Crazycatlady
January 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Yea for baby hairs!!! :p So glad you got it figured out. I know that had to be stressful!

Fairlight63
January 6th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thank you for giving us an update on your hair loss. I had also only heard how MSM was good for hair growing.
I also take MSM maybe I should quit it also to see what it is doing.
How long did it take to find out that it was the culprit?

ravenreed
January 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I go through crazy shedding from time to time and it almost all has grown back every time. My hair is a little thinner than when I was a kid, but I don't think this is unusual. I am always horrified by the "dandelion" stage where all the baby hairs grow in. They eventually get long enough to lay flat and blend in but there is a period where they stick straight up and out.

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks, yes, it was very scary, getting in the shower to have literally 2 or 3 hand-fulls of hair in the drain, and then during the day if I ran my fingers through it I would have an additional handful as well. This went on for what seemed like an eternity, and I really feared I was going to be bald. My hair was very thick, and now it is imo very thin. Hubby says he can tell its starting to get thick again, I think that when these baby hairs catch up, it will be my usual, only healthier and long. Now when I shower, I get maybe 6 or 7 hairs, much much better for my sanity!:p

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Fairlight- I stopped the msm in the beginning of October, and, it was the last change that I tried. I even ran a trial few weeks off and a few on to double check the results, and they were the same. When I added it back, I started losing hair again within a short time, so I stopped altogether, and, no more unusual loss ;)

annieangel149
January 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM
guys what is MSM?

LissaJane
January 6th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
I hope everything gets resolved and that you are well! *hugs*

ETA: Didn't read most of the thread :p
I'm glad you figured out what was causing your hairloss. What is MSM, if anyone doesn't mind informing me?

Anje
January 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wow, that's a weird one. Guess you're sensitive to MSM!

annieangel149
January 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
guys what is MSM?

never mind! i googled it!

very strange! wonder if other peeps here have had the same reaction to it?

jojo
January 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Sounds a mixture of stress and thyroid problems maybe your thyroxine dose needs upping, also blood checks for your HB would be an idea.

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I did have thyroid cancer, and had 1/2 of it removed, but that was in feb 10. I have had tests routinely since, and am not on any meds. As for stress, well, during that period I was a lot less stressed than I have been or am lately. I also thought it might have had something to do with it, but clearly there is a huge difference since I stopped the msm. I figure I'm just an oddball whose body does not like msm :o

Imnotarobot
January 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
If your hair is thick, you will lose more naturally. I lose a lot of hair, yet, I don't have bald spots, and still have way too much hair. This could be the case with you. Defintely still hold on in seeing the doc.