PDA

View Full Version : Hair Halo

Torrin Paige
August 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
So, I got a request last month asking that I do a tutorial on how to use a hair halo. As I had no idea what that was, I had to Google. Long story short, I didn't feel like putting out the dough for one, so I made one myself out of curlers I don't use, duct tape, and a stocking. Trying to get something similar to my hair color is always a pain in the you-know-what.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/halosteps.jpg

Well, after all that trouble, and only one tangled fiasco, I got it to work properly.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/haloresults.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't really like it. I think it may be a good alternative for those with shorter hair, but I still think I'd just prefer a straight up crown braid...even if I hate the process. LOL. It just isn't as pretty as it should be. So now I'm wondering if I should still do a tutorial...on a hairstyle that I just can't get behind just to please my gal with the request, or if I should just shoot her a message that I really don't care for it and it's more trouble than it's worth. Le sigh. Dilemma, dilemma. What say you, oh great and wise LHCers?

breezefaerie
August 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Wow, that is so pretty on you! Your hair looks so thick wrapped around the halo. It does look like a lot of trouble though.

cmnt831
August 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Well, it certainly is interesting-looking. If you feel you're not doing justice to the style, then don't do a tutorial. If you feel like you've mastered it (or will at some point in the future) then maybe consider doing a tutorial when you feel comfortable, because there's always someone out there who will want to learn that particular hairstyle even if you're not personally fond of it. :)

In the meantime, if the requester needs to know why you haven't done a tutorial yet, just tell her the truth and why you will or will not be doing one in the future.

As for me, I'm very grateful you did a tutorial on Figure-8 buns, because I have one on my head as I'm typing. :D

Juneii
August 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
The twists don't look very uniform which is practically impossible to do on your own :(
It looks nice Torrin, but if you just don't like the look and the effort it takes to do it just let your requester know that it is not as easy as it looks, didn't turn out the way it's supposed to, and is better off for someone else with shorter hair to do :)

cm006j
August 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I think you should do the tutorial. Just so that if people want to try it so they know if they like it or it looks good on them they would be able to.

Never heard of it before, so I also googled and none of the instructions out there are at all clear!

You make such great videos, I know the requester would be grateful for whatever you could do.

heynormy
August 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Torrin, I am absolutely stunned! Personally I love watching your videos on youtube, so I would say go ahead and make the tutorial!:blossom:

TrudieCat
August 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think that hairstyle is seriously beautiful on you! Really, I think it's quite stunning. So soft and lovely. I would love to see a tutorial, myself. :)

Bluebell
August 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe you'll hate me but... When I look at the last photo, from the side, to me it looks like the top part of your head is missing. Like something took a huge bite of you... The idea and the twisted hair effect is great.
If the ring would be larger and sits lower it might look different? Maybe you will like it then? :flower:

Nae
August 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
If you took the time to figure it all out, and made the circle thingy, I suppose you might as well do the tutorial, it will be valuable for those who do like the style, if you are feeling charitable. It would be a heck of a lot cuter with some ribbon or something woven throughout though.............

Perhaps I am just used to your sparklies from your youtube channel lol.;)

ETA: I responded before I asked the most important question. How long does it take you to make, edit and then post your tutorials? If it is WAY too time consuming and you just don't wanna mess with it than by all means, send her an email and say you couldn't make it work to your satisfaction. You do this because you love it obviously, so do what you love!

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I adore this! Its so pretty!

I know its more like fantasy hair but its just beautiful in my opinion. If it had some real or glass flowers threaded through it it would be breath taking.

Thankyou for sharing, I LOVE it :D

TiaKitty
August 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
It's interesting, but if it's that time and labor intensive... meh... I don't think I'd mess with the video. It would probably show in your affect that it just isn't your thing. I wouldn't want a video that I wasn't 100% blissful about making.

I guess I'd just tell the poster that it was more time and energy than you had for a style that you don't care for in the end. Tell the poster that it would be a great video for *her* to make, and offer pointers on how it's done!

GlassEyes
August 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I think it looks great. o-o I'd like to see the tute, but if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Simple as that.

Merlin
August 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
If you don't want to do the tutorial then don't - you do them for fun and if it's not going to be fun then why bother? Just say that it was an interesting experiment but not one you feel like repeating...

Torrin Paige
August 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
cmnt831 - I am glad the figure 8 worked for you. YAY!

Juneii - the trouble with hair my length is that even though I started with a 2 inch section and only added 2 inches each time...the ends of my first section were still a part of the last section...so it's just really REALLY thick...lol. I don't know that someone doing it for me would be able to make it at all uniform with my massive head of hair.

Bluebell - LMAO. You are absolutely right, it does look like something ate a portion of my head. If the halo were any larger, I'd have never been able to make it sit still while I wrapped. I tried to make it the same size as the others I saw online...I think it's just the fact that I have way more hair (or it's thicker, maybe?) than the gals it was demonstrated on.

Nae - I also think it would be prettier with something woven throughout, but the technique doesn't really lend itself to that. (Grrr.) It's a pain...not that it's difficult, it's just time consuming. So most of my tutorials take 20-30 mins from starting filming to the end of editing. (This one will probably take 45 mins to an hour). However, that doesn't include all the failed attempts and hours I spend mucking about with something until I get it to look perfect (or months as with the stupid crown braid). Of course, I already have the silly halo made, soo...

It seems most of you think a tutorial would still be fun and informative, so I'll probably go ahead and do one with the explanation that I'm not overly fond of the style on myself, but it's probably perfect for someone out there. And, like cm006j stated, the instructions were pretty crummy (I guess they send you the good ones when you buy the silly thing) and at the very least, I can help out those that are having problems getting theirs to work. Thanks, peeps! You guys rule!

lillylonghair
August 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority but I like it!!!

Perhaps you could play around some more and put your own twist on it.Perhaps with decorations or playing around with size/placement.

Tiina
August 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I say you needn't bother if you don't want to do it and don't think it looks good. However, since you made the effort to learn the style and attempt it, maybe you could send the poster (and also us *wink-wink nudge-nudge*) some tips and pointers and maybe improve on the instructions so that the work you did wouldn't have been in vain. :)

blctsyllwdg
August 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
It's cute, but looks like you are trying to get too much hair in the halo. Kinda like my attempts at a sock bun. Was cute until too much hair took over.

However, I am going to go over and stare at your crown braid video until I learn that!

tinti
August 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I think you should do a tut on it when/if you're ready to do it. I have no idea how to use them, I've never even heard of them but I'm sure you could think something up. Maybe just twirl your hair around it like a half up? Without twisting? Uh, I'm not sure how they work, I'm not much help, I'm sorry. But just giving some ideas.

Bluebell
August 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Bluebell - LMAO. You are absolutely right, it does look like something ate a portion of my head. If the halo were any larger, I'd have never been able to make it sit still while I wrapped. I tried to make it the same size as the others I saw online...I think it's just the fact that I have way more hair (or it's thicker, maybe?) than the gals it was demonstrated on.

:blushing: Pheew! I was afraid you would think I was very rude!

I just got an idea. I don't know how you twisted the hair around the halo, but if you think it it's the thickness and amount of hair you got... Maybe it would be possible to leave a part of your hair out of the updo and combine the halo with a ropebraid?

Or you could give me some. I could use a bit more hair...

Gnomentum
August 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I think it looks pretty cool, but more for a fantasy costume than for everyday I think. Don't do the tut if you're not behind it (though I'm curious as hell how you did it!)

rusika1
August 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
It's...interesting. It looks good from the back, but from the side--yeah, kind of looks like a truncated Bride of Frankenstein hairdo. And I can see that it would be a pain to put up, your hair is just too long!:D

I say skip the tutorial, this looks like a style best suited to hair that is BSL-ish.

(ETA: Is this even close to how it's done? Comb your hair down, set the hula hoop on your head like a wreath, take a small section of hair, twist slightly, wrap over and then under the hoop. Then, either 1--Continue wrapping--leaving each wrap adjacent to, not on top of the previous wrap--until you reach the end of that section. Repeat ad infinitum? Or 2--Wrap each section once or twice, then incorporate it into the next section. Like a french braid.)

Nae
August 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
The more I look at it, the more I like it! It really DOES look like something out of a fantasy/sci fi world. Quite cool actually.

More than anything I want Miss Torrin to be happy and do what she likes to do but I am gonna keep my fingers crossed for a tut.

pepperminttea
August 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I love how it looks, but it seems like it must've taken an awful lot of work. (What can I say, I too like the ones that look really complex but aren't. :) ) If you're happy to do it, I'd be really curious to see how you managed to do it, but if you aren't, don't worry about it. Although if you do decide to do the vid tutorial, is there any chance you could include a brief bit about how you made the halo, please?

ps. I also learnt the figure-8 and infinity buns from your vid, among numerous other things, including (a little embarrassingly) making a secure ponytail. :o Thank you! :flowers:

Chrissy
August 12th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I like Merlin's answer.

christine1989
August 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
This is new to me! I love what you did with it too. I will have to try it out when my hair is a bit longer.

P.S. I love your nails!!! ;)

Torrin Paige
August 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM
It's...interesting. It looks good from the back, but from the side--yeah, kind of looks like a truncated Bride of Frankenstein hairdo. And I can see that it would be a pain to put up, your hair is just too long!:D

I say skip the tutorial, this looks like a style best suited to hair that is BSL-ish.

(ETA: Is this even close to how it's done? Comb your hair down, set the hula hoop on your head like a wreath, take a small section of hair, twist slightly, wrap over and then under the hoop. Then, either 1--Continue wrapping--leaving each wrap adjacent to, not on top of the previous wrap--until you reach the end of that section. Repeat ad infinitum? Or 2--Wrap each section once or twice, then incorporate it into the next section. Like a french braid.)

I think it would probably work the best on shoulder length to BSL...you're absolutely right. You've got it right with your second guess...You take a section twist, wrap up over, then under then add two more inches to your twist, repeat. There's a little different thing I did with the front in an effort to fill in the spaces left at the starting point (not as much hair to work with there as when you get to the end), but you're right in the how-to. Good eye!

I think I'll end up doing a tut, just so people can figure it out. Besides I get requests all the time for hairstyles for short hair (which, if people watch my tuts, they should realize that I only work with my own head of hair and I am always perplexed as to how they expect me to go about showing them what to do with shorter hair...lol) and this one will work better for my gals that don't have quite as much hair as I do. I think it'll be a good alternative to those that can't get the Elizabethan to work yet and are having fits with the crown braid.

Perhaps I can get a whole bunch of silk flowers and fill the "bowl" it makes and just say, screw it, it's kind of weird, so I'm going all out. LOL. Oooh, or plastic fruit...that would be hilarious. Okay, maybe not the fruit. :eyebrows:

JulietCapulet
August 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I think that's gorgeous

Kristin
August 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I would be elated if you filled it with fruit and posted pics!

lsnyder09
August 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
hmmm, I think I like it, but I agree with your assessment...it needs to be fore shorter hair. I feel that there is too much piled on top which takes away from the femininity of the look. I think I agree with LouLaLa, maybe some flowers would soften the look!

cmnt831
August 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Perhaps I can get a whole bunch of silk flowers and fill the "bowl" it makes and just say, screw it, it's kind of weird, so I'm going all out. LOL. Oooh, or plastic fruit...that would be hilarious. Okay, maybe not the fruit. :eyebrows:

Ha! That just gave me a mental image of going to my aunt's house and seeing plastic frosted grapes sitting in a crystal bowl in the middle of her fancy diningroom table.... It did make for a fascinating picture, nonetheless. :D

restourceful
August 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I kinda like it, Torrin. :shrug: But I was thinking, instead of doing the french adding thing, what if you just twist and wrap each section individually from the inside toward the outside and back under to the inside, and then with the leftover length of hair, do something to fill in the bowl? With your length and thickness (and TALENT, my goodness!), I could see you coming up with something absolutely stunning! The only reason I thought of this is because I thought it was done individually rather than adding sections before you and rusika1 explained how it was done.

dropinthebucket
August 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Ooooooh, yes, tutorial please! pretty please! it's like an (ahem) push-up bra for hair - us fine, thin-haireds need all the padding we can get ;).

Looks beautiful, and awesome McGuyverism! :)

Nae
August 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
:hifive:Oh yeah, haha, I vote for the fruit!! You could do your own chiquita banana woman impersonation! http://chiquitafruitbites.com/chiquita/discover/osscrapbook.asp She has kinda a bowl thing going on, I mean have a little fun with it!! It would be epic!:applause:rockerdud:rockerdud

(:oYou will have to excuse me, I get excited about off the wall things like that.) *shuffles feet and hangs head* I am sure flowers would look fine. Yep, perfectly fine.........

*Off to dream about fruit hairdos*

rusika1
August 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
You know, if you take your suggestion about fruit, and restourceful's suggestion to wrap a couple of times and then keep the ends free, you could make a sort of pompadour or gibson girl bun in the middle. Tuck in some greenery or flowers and you're all set.

You could end up with a really stunning modern version of this type of updo (scroll down to the late in the century styles): http://www.dirjournal.com/info/the-history-of-coiffure-in-the-xviii-century/ (http://18thcenturyblog.com/2007/06/1770s-hair)

Henrietta
August 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Pah, I fall in love. :magic: This is exactly why I am growing my hair for.

If it's not a big problem for you maybe you could make a tutorial for her? I know you don't like it and you won't use it but... It's just a tutorial. For someone.

bunzfan
August 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM
wow i think your tutorials are great i love watching them:cheese:even though my hair isn't longer than apl yet i have hair sticks now and are able to use them thanks to you. I think you do some great hairstyles

Chrissy
August 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Since I am inept at posting links most of the time.....I do it right sometimes......check out Carmen Miranda and that would be what you could do with your hair style! :) It would be funnier if the clip I wanted to post from youtube would work. I'm hopeless!!! :)

lillylonghair
August 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Have you tried this with a smaller foam piece and maybe half up/half down? Either way I think it's a great tutorial especially with Halloween coming up!

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM
So, what is your decision? :)

spidermom
August 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Just throwing another opinion out there (and we all know what opinions are like; right? we all have one and most of them stink). So anyway - personally, I dislike this a lot and wouldn't be in search of a tutorial on how to do it.

moonkitty
August 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
I have never heard of a hair halo either but LOVE your results! That's just me though...I am all about something different :) I do have to say that I am interested in learning how to use one of these things but will not hold you to a tutorial :p

Nevada Rose
August 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
So, I got a request last month asking that I do a tutorial on how to use a hair halo. As I had no idea what that was, I had to Google. Long story short, I didn't feel like putting out the dough for one, so I made one myself out of curlers I don't use, duct tape, and a stocking. Trying to get something similar to my hair color is always a pain in the you-know-what.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/halosteps.jpg

Well, after all that trouble, and only one tangled fiasco, I got it to work properly.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/haloresults.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't really like it. I think it may be a good alternative for those with shorter hair, but I still think I'd just prefer a straight up crown braid...even if I hate the process. LOL. It just isn't as pretty as it should be. So now I'm wondering if I should still do a tutorial...on a hairstyle that I just can't get behind just to please my gal with the request, or if I should just shoot her a message that I really don't care for it and it's more trouble than it's worth. Le sigh. Dilemma, dilemma. What say you, oh great and wise LHCers?

Oh how pretty!....,{looking for my little "thud" man.}.....I am learning so much on this forum. I didn't know how to put my hair "up". I would just twist it a couple times, and clamp it with a clip. Now I am venturing out, and those Youtube tutorials I find most helpful also.:):happydance:

Sagi1982
August 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I like it, but I don't know if I would wear this style...;)

emmebean
August 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Torrin,
If you were to do a tutorial, I would definitely use it on my Bean (she's 6 1/2) this is just her style, princess. Do what makes you happy of course, but I think there's enough of us who could use it in some way :)
Thanks for all of your lessons!

triumphator!
August 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'd say do it just for your friend, but don't post it. It seems.... silly. Why not just do a crown braid...? To me, it looks like sausages making a magic circle around your head. I say don't give it to the internet to see, but just do it for your friend. I think it would be kind of mean to be like "nope, I think that sucks, I won't do it!"

DragonLady
August 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I love your tutorials! But...I think you should only do it if it's what you want to do. It's not your job to learn every style out there, and no one's paying you to make tutorials. You're not here to please the world; so if it doesn't please you, don't bother.

birthmarkie
October 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM
I think it is really awesome. I also think that using a smaller hoop and wearing it higher on the head, more like a crown, would balance it perfectly.