PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with chlorine and salt

lacereza
August 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM

mariika
August 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
jojoba oil is known to help moisturize hair, and salt and chlorine take water away from your hair so you can use jojoba

lacereza
August 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM

motormuffin
August 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
My 6 yr old swims at the pool 3-4 times a week and she has super fine blond hair. It was getting to be a mess and out of control. I had a sample of some special swim shampoo and condish so I tried it out. Wow. I just ordered some from Sally, a different brand though so we'll see. Have you tried a special swimmers shampoo? It looks like it took all the chlorine build up off and made her hair shiny and not stuck together.

missmagoo
August 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I surf and I use coconut oil on my dry hair before I get in the water. I try and rinse right after a session and co wash (even though I do use shampoo) to gently get out any residue and to help detangle as soon as I can after. I don't think condish is enough to coat the hair. Recently though, my hairdresser (a long hair) told me that jojoba oil might do a better job, and not make my hair as tangly as the coconut oil.
I also have to be really diligent about doing deep conditioning treatments regularly when I'm in the water a lot.

eezepeeze
August 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
We have a pool at our house (sadly, no beach) and this is what I have been doing:

--go swimming as usual, without any pretreatment
--shampoo and condition as soon as I come in from the pool
--using Aussie 3 Minute Miriacle in addition to the conditioner that matches my shampoo
--coating my wet hair in coconut oil before applying my regular products

This has been working better for me than applying oil before swimming. All that did was make my hair difficult to wash and comb. I think it's been working, too, because I have had about an inch and a half of growth this summer.

HTH! Stay safe down there :)