PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting rid of dye?

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anybody had some good tips for washing off hair dye. Im growing out my golden blonde hair dye and going back to my natural medium ash blonde.

I dont really mind having two tone hair myself but at work its frowned upon as people seem to think youre just too lazy to dye rather than growing it out. Its a very corporate straight laced environment and Im trying to wash out as much dye as I can so the difference isnt so bad and I can keep avoiding dye.

Does anyone have any natural tips? I dont really want to go down the chemical dye stripping route if I can avoid it as im not sure my hair would take such treatment and Ive only just got it silky again.

Thankyou :)

Speck
August 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Can you wash out blond "dye"? I thought that when you darkened your hair, basically you stained it and when when you lightened it you pretty much stripped the color from it. Am I wrong? I'm thinking the only way to "wash the color, or blond, out" is to pretty much 'wash' it back in.

All this is new to me and I'm still learning. :confused:

bunnii
August 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I would recommend this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148&highlight=honey+thread if you're trying to lighten.

I'm clueless about shades of blonde so I might have read you wrong :p

HTH.

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Can you wash out blond "dye"? I thought that when you darkened your hair, basically you stained it and when when you lightened it you pretty much stripped the color from it. Am I wrong? I'm thinking the only way to "wash the color, or blond, out" is to pretty much 'wash' it back in.

All this is new to me and I'm still learning. :confused:

Oh that sounds pretty logical! So yeah I may just have to put up with it :p

If it were a bit longer id get away with it as I cold wear updo's but at the moment I have a chunk of root :(

Thankyou though! I think you have cleared up some of the mystery for me!

kwaniesiam
August 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Is the dyed portion lighter or darker than your natural color? If it is lighter, the dye won't "wash out", you'll have to put something darker over it to make it match since the lighter dye removed the pigment from your hair.

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Is the dyed portion lighter or darker than your natural color? If it is lighter, the dye won't "wash out", you'll have to put something darker over it to make it match since the lighter dye removed the pigment from your hair.

My real hair is lighter (medium ash blonde) but I coloured it with dark golden blonde.

I dont have a clue what do do and im worried ive already overprocessed it so much I should probably leave it alone to just grow and sloly cut off the ends, however work demands a professional image so I cant really have two tone roots :(

spidermom
August 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
You could use deposit-only temporary dyes to blend the two colors. Or possibly get a few panels of the golden blonde (roots only) so that there won't be a definite line where the color changes but look more blended.

Dolly
August 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I'd say get a semi-permanent color to blend the two while it is growing.....

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thankyou spidermom and dolly! I think this is what I may do.

I wish I had a time machine to go back and slap the dye box out of my hand!

In2wishin
August 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
My real hair is lighter (medium ash blonde) but I coloured it with dark golden blonde.

I dont have a clue what do do and im worried ive already overprocessed it so much I should probably leave it alone to just grow and sloly cut off the ends, however work demands a professional image so I cant really have two tone roots :(

If you can afford it, look into having a professional colorist dye the golden blonde hair to match the virgin hair or have them blend at the line so it looks like a natural progression rather than looking like you just stopped coloring.

heynormy
August 12th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I have to agree with In2wishin. Maybe you could have only your ends dyed to match your virgin hair, that way you could avoid the two toned phase!:)

deko
August 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe you could do some highlits / lowlights to your hair to help blend the growing line? What about pigmented shampoos to tone down the color difference? Cassia treatments to warm up the roots? Amla or very mild katam/indigo gloss (test first!) to dull the lenght?

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone! Some fab suggestions! Deko I have been using some nicky clarke dark blonde hair conditioner which has dulled down the gold a bit :) My mother says the line isnt too bad but I still think its pretty stark!

I may have to dye the length to match the rest in the end but for now I really dont think my hair cold take anymore dye, I have no splits but it gets so so dry and my hairdresser told me no more dye ever if I didnt want to totally destroy my hair, she said it had taken all the beating it could :(

Im thinking I may buy some really wide alice bands (2-3 inches) and wear them, hopefully they will be conservative enough for work.

The rest of the time wear crazy fabric headscarves (I have lots of vintage ones) although I did wear one last weekend that had deer on and I thought was really cute but my dad said I looked like a young Grace Kelly or Princess Margaret :p

Im all for glamour but people look at me odd when I wear them which is a shame as they stop my hair getting windswept (fair enough I also wear vintage broaches, a vintage missoni carpet bag and sunglasses but I reserve the right to be eccentric!).

Has anyone else drawn strange looks while rocking a headscarf?

Hmm I think I will just have to look slightly nuts and 1950s in the name of good hair!

If anyone has anymore suggestions Id be so so happy to hear them, you have all cheered me up alot as at least I know there are some options open to me now :)

Thankyou Everyone!!!

deko
August 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
^ does your hairdresser do Elumen colorings? It don't destroy you hair at all and with Elumen you can have whatever color you wish. It wont't fade when you have it done a few times. It's kind of expensive though.

I remember going from box-dyed redhead to my natural color (dark blonde) with a few color removers and demi-permanent dye (in one weekend...) and it was a big struggle when you couldn't use permanent dyes and the hair was like cotton candy. It was fun to live one summer as darkish blonde, but it was way too much work to keep the tone of the color nice.