PDA

View Full Version : The official BANGS/FRINGE thread

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Do we have one? I haven't seen a thread like this;)
Come on, people! Show us your fringe/bangs. (About that: what's the difference?! Polish/English dictionary isn't going to explaing me that detail:( ) And tell us how do you feel with it, since when do you have it...
I have mine since I had my hair;) Sometimes I wear it up, but I am not going to grow it.
The funny truth about fringe is that when you have it, you can always clip it up for a day and pretend you don't have one. But when you don't have fringe/bangs- you cannot pretend you have them:D
Mine likes to be messy:)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5318&pictureid=74166

Cleanbug's tricks on cutting bangs:

I just cut a fringe. I did a bunch of research on the internet, watched numerous youtube videos on cutting bangs & this is what i came up with.
the roots of the hair that are to be your bangs should not be wider than the outer edge of your iris' of your eyes. this way you have a bang but it doesn't cut into the actual line of hair that should fall to the sides of your face.
the other thing i noticed is that most of them suggested that you have a triangle section of hair for the fringe.
my fringe area is triangle shaped & about 1.5 inches at the deepest portion.
i have had bangs before & did not have them cut this way & was never quite happy with them.
i had grown out my pixie haircut 4 years ago & had long/grown in bangs up until a week ago.
i finally have bangs i love! i am so happy i cut them.

lillylonghair
August 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I am a fringe gal too!!! I always grow my bangs out,get bored and then cut them. I am currently in the process of growing mine a bit though since the lady who cut mine last time,really did a horrible job.

Okay,I read somewhere that (some correct me if I'm worng) that in Europe,bangs refer to sausages and fringe is on your head. In the USA though everyone pretty much says bangs.(i have no idea why).

error
August 11th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Wow im floored your hair got so long ! And it is so luxurious and thick! Look at you!!!! :->

goddessbound
August 11th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I don't have a natural bang but I absolutely adore them on others! So what I've been doing (*chuckles*) to get my curly bang on, is taking a section of hair in the front and wet it with leave-in conditioner. Then parting that into smaller sections, take each section and roll it over an extra-small flexi rod. Let air dry over night (my hair isn't that long, for longer hair you may need more time) Then in the morning, I take out the rods and walla! I have a curly, bouncy bang. My hair is curly anyways so it works for me. The curls don't fall during the course of the day, but if it rains or gets too humid...forget about it.

melrose1985
August 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I have side swept bangs. Straight across ones don't look good on me. Back in Jan. of this year, stupidly, I cut my grown out bangs very short and crooked. So I had to get some straight bangs cut, I looked like a 12 year old.

Now though they are how I like them. They are to my lip now, but I think I'm going to keep growing them out till about my chin. I want to see if like longer side bang or not. I will always have some sort of bangs because I feel like I just look better.

Elistariel
August 11th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I am a fringe gal too!!! I always grow my bangs out,get bored and then cut them. I am currently in the process of growing mine a bit though since the lady who cut mine last time,really did a horrible job.

Okay,I read somewhere that (some correct me if I'm worng) that in Europe,bangs refer to sausages and fringe is on your head. In the USA though everyone pretty much says bangs.(i have no idea why).

Not quite. I think you're thinking of bangers and mash. Bangs in the UK refers to an ... ahem... action involving two people. Fringe is what they use for the hair. In America, in the south at least, bangs are what we call the hair, and a sound effect, lol. Fringe is something on clothing.

I don't have bangs now, but I had them most of my life. I'm torn between them. I hate my forehead, but my hair grows so fast, and I got bad acne with bangs. I haven't had bangs in years, but here are some older photos of me with bangs.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/Ataralasse_Manveri/Abby/th_d8d707b1.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/Ataralasse_Manveri/Abby/?action=view&current=d8d707b1.jpg)

hmm actually I have to get going today. I'll have to remember to make a bangs gallery or something later today. :p

young&reckless
August 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I love bangs on other people but they drive me crazy on myself.

Kind of the same feeling I have about turtle necks, I like the look but feel like I'm going to go insane if I wear one.

lillylonghair
August 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Not quite. I think you're thinking of bangers and mash. Bangs in the UK refers to an ... ahem... action involving two people. Fringe is what they use for the hair. In America, in the south at least, bangs are what we call the hair, and a sound effect, lol. Fringe is something on clothing.

I don't have bangs now, but I had them most of my life. I'm torn between them. I hate my forehead, but my hair grows so fast, and I got bad acne with bangs. I haven't had bangs in years, but here are some older photos of me with bangs.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/Ataralasse_Manveri/Abby/th_d8d707b1.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/Ataralasse_Manveri/Abby/?action=view&current=d8d707b1.jpg)

hmm actually I have to get going today. I'll have to remember to make a bangs gallery or something later today. :p

Oh okay! Haha thank you for clearing that up. I swear I read that in a hair magazine somewhere though.:confused: I like to call them fringe though (even though I'm from America) because it's like fringe for your head.:D

breezefaerie
August 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I have bangs. I've always had them, since I was old enough to care for my hair myself.
I have a super high forehead and I look like an alien (to me) without something covering my forehead. Right now, they are straight across at eyebrow length.

tabby28
August 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Beautiful fringe/bangs Henrietta and Elistariel. I'm a long term fringe lover, but I can't have one because of my curly old hair. I've tried, believe me, its a no-go :D But I absolutely adore them and have wanted one since I was a tiny kid. Looking forward to seeing more lovely bangs/fringes here.

ullalein
August 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
i have had my fringe for a few years now.
i think it gives a very nice "edge" to my long, relatively straight hair.

here i am before and after the fringe
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/ullaogbenny/strange%20things/1-4.jpg?t=1281542209

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/ullaogbenny/strange%20things/3-2.jpg?t=1281541758

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM

here i am before and after the fringe
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/ullaogbenny/strange%20things/1-4.jpg?t=1281542209

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/ullaogbenny/strange%20things/3-2.jpg?t=1281541758

It looks perfect on you! When I had a fringe like that it was like... two big curls, not like a fringe:D Nice "edge". I'd vote for "yes, a fringe" for you;)

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I fluctuate from having Jane Birkin bangs to having Bettie Page bangs. I like having them because even if I don't do anything to my hair, it gives the appearance of having a hairdo. http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/sigpic.jpg

ullalein
August 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM
It looks perfect on you! When I had a fringe like that it was like... two big curls, not like a fringe:D Nice "edge". I'd vote for "yes, a fringe" for you;)
hehe. :p thanks!

I fluctuate from having Jane Birkin bangs to having Bettie Page bangs. I like having them because even if I don't do anything to my hair, it gives the appearance of having a hairdo. http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/sigpic.jpg

you do look stunning!

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I fluctuate from having Jane Birkin bangs to having Bettie Page bangs. I like having them because even if I don't do anything to my hair, it gives the appearance of having a hairdo.

That's the another magical side of having fringe:D :cheese:

Alix
August 11th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I had gorgeous stacked thick wonderful amazing (I liked them a lot) straight across bangs.
Then I let them grow out.
Went back to have them cut back in and I've yet to find someone who can recreate it. I'm in a constant battle with my bangs getting them cut correctly.
Right now I have pretty thick side bangs, and I can't decide if I want to keep them, cut them straight or grow them out.

Roseate
August 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I like having them because even if I don't do anything to my hair, it gives the appearance of having a hairdo.

This is exactly what I like about them, when I have them!

Mine are all grown out right now, about shoulder length, and I can't quite seem to get around to cutting them back in. I'll do it one of these days, for now I'm enjoying a fringeless interlude.

I'll occasionally make a forward roll at my forehead to make fake bangs, but it's much more work than the real thing!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/4014198999_525801d01c_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35906864@N05/4014198999/)

Capybara
August 11th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I have side bangs :) They're long, past chin length at the longest part. I think bangs add so much versatility and softness to hairdo's!

Elistariel
August 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
:doh: I already have photos of me with bangs in one of my galleries.

I'm lazy: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2127&page=2

Squeak toy
August 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I have strait across bangs/fringe and have had them the same for about 14 years. When I was little the bangs/fringe were cut by my mother and started halfway back on my head, like above my ear, and they looked so bad. I then grew them out but long hair with no bangs/fringe does not suit me well. I decided I wanted bangs/fringe again and my mother offered to cut them....No Way!!!! We finally agreed that I would seperate my hair out and she would cut. I have just trimmed them myself ever since. Since I divided out the hair to be cut I think they are just what I want, maybe you can try yourself Alix. I also find that having partly see through bangs look best for me.

Juneii
August 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I have blunt bangs. It really makes my updos less severe. I got it cut at a salon and then trimmed it myself ever since (the stylist cut my bangs crooked and I didn't notice until I left!)
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/magicalmoonstone/add50b72.jpg

Chiara
August 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Oh, lots of lovely fringes here! Its great to see how versatile they are.

I recently got a fringe cut back in- I'm growing my hair, and if I have long hair then it looks better with a fringe. I have a very high forehead and a very long neck, so without a fringe I look like I'm just all neck and forehead! Also I noticed that the front part of my hair (when I didn't have a fringe) always looked greasy before the rest of my hair. So now I can just wash my fringe and dry it every day or two, and I only have to wash the rest of my hair once a week.

I'm trying to get the hang of self-trimming. I've watched a few clips and got myself some sharp hairdressing scissors. But do any of you self trimmers have some more tips?? My fringe literally needs a trim every 10 days, so I really have to get the hang of it!!

shawty
August 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The funny truth about fringe is that when you have it, you can always clip it up for a day and pretend you don't have one. But when you don't have fringe/bangs- you cannot pretend you have them:D

I find it's easy to fake side-swept bangs, so I'd rather not cut real ones. *shrug*

Kristin
August 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I cut and grow out my bangs constantly. I recently grew them to my lip and then cut back side-swept bangs. I loooove them. I think I may go with straight -cross bangs for fall. My BF hates those because he says they make me look too young, but as I approach 30, I'm all about shaving off a few years. ;)

fairystar32
August 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have a fringe (from UK :) ) and hate not having one. I have a really round face and find on me, when I grew it out, made my face look even fatter and rounder.
So it stays ;)

evampr18
August 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Here's mine, :). I never had bangs until June when i went to China and eveyrone had them so I decided I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, I took the scissors to my own hair and now I pretty much hate my bangs and am growing them out. Plus, they're super super thick :(

http://i35.tinypic.com/jqjb55.jpg

Henrietta
August 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I find it's easy to fake side-swept bangs, so I'd rather not cut real ones. *shrug*

How do you do it?:)

Gypsygirl
August 12th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I have bangs and love them.

Henrietta
August 12th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I have bangs and love them.

It looks great on you! (I took a look at your profile pic;) ) Mine always tends to curl when it grows to such length:D:D

papillion
August 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I've always had a fringe, except for about six months when I started growing it out. I had it cut back in because my forehead is so high, and I just look stupid without a fringe.

Trouble is, because my hair is so unpredictably wavy, it always looks such a mess. The waves never sit the same way, so half my fringe will be pointing in one direction, and half of it in the opposite one! I'm half considering getting some small hair straighteners, purely to use on my fringe.

Synthemesc
August 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I was always given a straight across fringe to go with my bowl cut when I was little, not a good look for a fat kid. Grew them out which looked even worse, then when I was about 13 I went to the salon and they gave me a side swept fringe and blam! I didn't look silly anymore. Know how to trim them myself now, so there they shall stay. :D

Henrietta
August 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I was always given a straight across fringe to go with my bowl cut when I was little, not a good look for a fat kid. Grew them out which looked even worse, then when I was about 13 I went to the salon and they gave me a side swept fringe and blam! I didn't look silly anymore. Know how to trim them myself now, so there they shall stay. :D

I experimented a lot too. I mean my dad was experimenting on my fringe. But once I decided I will go to the salon for professional cut and they gave me side bangs too:) Then it was like inverted "u", then straight, then really short and now I am back to side one. It's always messy (wind!) and wavy but I don't think I can have any better with my face shape:) So my fringe shall stay too:)

alwayssmiling
August 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Ooooh. I like the sound of this thread. I am a bangs/fringe fanatic. I have scars on my forehead that I have covered up for years and its made me fascinated with fringes. I notice them straight away and love to see different cutting techniques. I always cut my own as I have been a little disappointed in the past with professional cuts - either too short, too long, doesn't cover up what I would like.....would love any tips on cutting.

I use the triangle cut. I clip my hair back and look for a triangular shape (I take my fringe from quite far back).. I have made mistakes but its looking pretty good at the moment.

faeflame
August 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I have a fringe also. I went for about a year without one then started wearing my hair up and it was just too severe without bangs. Mine are currently just a rectangular section about 1.5 inches deep that I wear straight down or to either side depending on my hairs mood :p!

I've asked before and I'm still curious-- do most people here who have bangs have triangle or crescent or rectangular sections for the fringe hair?? I think my rectangle sectioning may be a bit of an oddity and might be one factor in why my front hair seems to look a bit thin to me. I think a triangle might be better but I am very hesitant to cut off tailbone length locks and then have it not work.........:confused:

silverjen
August 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hello! it's my first post! I finally found something I could contribute to the conversation, namely, my method of cutting bangs. This creates bangs that are longer on the sides--a gentle inverted U, which looks natural on most faces. It sounds complicated but it's really not.

Tools: mirror, barrettes or ponytail holders, a fine-toothed comb, and a little bit of water. Oh, and decent scissors!

1. Clip the hair you don't want trimmed back out of the way.
2. Pull forward on to your face just the hair that you want incorporated into the bang. Take your time with this step, check the shape of the section you are creating several times and from several angles. If you're not sure about the thickness of the bang, err on the side of making it thinner. It's easy to cut more, very hard to cut less!
3. Once you have the section all set, dampen it with water and comb it straight, making sure to get any hairs that are trying to stick to your forehead.
4. Gather the hair together with your non-dominant hand into a single bundle, and pull it down your face, bringing all the hair together at the point where you intend to make the cut.* It should create the shape of an inverted triangle.
5. Give it a half-twist, and cut a little bit at a time, straight across the apex of the triangle. Then comb it out, gather it together again, give it a half-twist in the other direction, and even it out. Bangs!

*As for where to make the cut--be aware that wet hair stretches. Cut much farther down than you think you need. For my eyebrow-level bangs I cut midway down my nose! For side-swept bangs I'd probably try chin. Again, you can always cut more off.

As for me--I've been cutting my own hair for the past 20 years. I've made every mistake in the book, and by trial and error figured out a few things that actually do work! I'm really enjoying reading all the posts on LHC--I've learned so much, and my hair is much healthier now!

Henrietta
August 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Hello! it's my first post! I finally found something I could contribute to the conversation, namely, my method of cutting bangs. This creates bangs that are longer on the sides--a gentle inverted U, which looks natural on most faces. It sounds complicated but it's really not.

Tools: mirror, barrettes or ponytail holders, a fine-toothed comb, and a little bit of water. Oh, and decent scissors!

1. Clip the hair you don't want trimmed back out of the way.
2. Pull forward on to your face just the hair that you want incorporated into the bang. Take your time with this step, check the shape of the section you are creating several times and from several angles. If you're not sure about the thickness of the bang, err on the side of making it thinner. It's easy to cut more, very hard to cut less!
3. Once you have the section all set, dampen it with water and comb it straight, making sure to get any hairs that are trying to stick to your forehead.
4. Gather the hair together with your non-dominant hand into a single bundle, and pull it down your face, bringing all the hair together at the point where you intend to make the cut.* It should create the shape of an inverted triangle.
5. Give it a half-twist, and cut a little bit at a time, straight across the apex of the triangle. Then comb it out, gather it together again, give it a half-twist in the other direction, and even it out. Bangs!

*As for where to make the cut--be aware that wet hair stretches. Cut much farther down than you think you need. For my eyebrow-level bangs I cut midway down my nose! For side-swept bangs I'd probably try chin. Again, you can always cut more off.

As for me--I've been cutting my own hair for the past 20 years. I've made every mistake in the book, and by trial and error figured out a few things that actually do work! I'm really enjoying reading all the posts on LHC--I've learned so much, and my hair is much healthier now!

Yaaay! Fantastic entrance:) I am happy that you've posted your very first post in this thread.

Thank you so much for your directions! I have always tried to cut such bangs but I wasn't able to! I think that the trick is in point 5- twisting in both directions. I think it would be my next fringe experiment:D I will print out your post and put it into my Luscious Hairy Hair Book.:cheese:

Elistariel
August 14th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Y'all are making me want bangs again, but I don't know that I look any better with it than without it and my hair grows so fast...

Henrietta
August 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Y'all are making me want bangs again, but I don't know that I look any better with it than without it and my hair grows so fast...

When you have it, you can always clip it up. Even for a few weeks:) And then take it down and -tadaaaa!- bangs in a few seconds:) That's why I won't grow mine down:) When you don't have it at all it takes more to make it- go to the hairdresser and...
I vote for trying it again!:)

FrannyG
August 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've had bangs literally all of my life, with the exception of 2 years after I joined LHC and grew them out. While I liked the no-bangs look, my hair is so straight that even after my bangs were grown out, they still fell into my face. I cut my bangs back in 2 years ago, and I realized immediately just how much I love them.

It was fun to grow them out, but I don't imagine ever doing that again. I go with the straight-across brow length bangs. I trim about every other week to keep them at brow length.

Photo on my profile page.

silverjen
August 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Henrietta, thank you for the warm welcome and kind words! *blush*

GlennaGirl
August 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I mess so much with my bangs--cutting thicker ones, then thinning them by growing the sides, then trying straight-across, etc.--but really, what I always fall back to is parted (in the middle or more toward one side) bangs with a length that starts at the tip of my nose and graduates down to...hmmm. Probably just below the very bottom of my nose.

I hope that description makes sense.

They aren't "blocky" parted off in the middle like that; instead, because they're graduated just a little, they sort of come down to "tips".

I will try to find a picture because I'm not sure this is making sense! Think of it this way: They almost look like parted curtains.

I have always, always coveted straight-across bangs but I just look freakish that way. :( I can't explain it. It looks like...I have no head. Just a HUGE face coming out from under hair, with a flat head-top. God, they look awful that way. It's so sad b/c I think that's the cutest, sexiest look in the world (blunt bangs).

JenniferNoel
August 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I've had so many different kinds of bangs. Now I have just-above-eyebrow-level bangs that I either clip to the sides or wear "naturally".

GlennaGirl
August 14th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Okay, so here is how I wear my bangs. You can really only see one "bang". It's on the right as you look at the picture (on the left on me). See how the little tip goes around my face and then just in front of my ear? That's half of my bangs. :p Then most of the rest of the front is pulled back into a half-up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Melsie/MelBangs.jpg

In this picture, they were getting longer and the "tip" or bottom of the bang hung nearly to lip level.

I whited out most of my face because I had a stalker problem not long ago. I used to have this picture up in my album, actually.

ETA: I guess that due to the length, this might be considered "face framing layers" or "face framing pieces" rather than a literal bang or fringe. I love this look. My face has a funny, odd shape and the curve of the bangs gives my face more of a "normal" shape, I feel.

McFearless
August 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I was always given a straight across fringe to go with my bowl cut when I was little, not a good look for a fat kid.

Aw I find that so cute haha.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I mess so much with my bangs--cutting thicker ones, then thinning them by growing the sides, then trying straight-across, etc.--but really, what I always fall back to is parted (in the middle or more toward one side) bangs with a length that starts at the tip of my nose and graduates down to...hmmm. Probably just below the very bottom of my nose.

I hope that description makes sense.

They aren't "blocky" parted off in the middle like that; instead, because they're graduated just a little, they sort of come down to "tips".

I will try to find a picture because I'm not sure this is making sense! Think of it this way: They almost look like parted curtains.

I have always, always coveted straight-across bangs but I just look freakish that way. :( I can't explain it. It looks like...I have no head. Just a HUGE face coming out from under hair, with a flat head-top. God, they look awful that way. It's so sad b/c I think that's the cutest, sexiest look in the world (blunt bangs).

I dreamed about such cut too. Heavy, straight, thick, blunt fringe. But having wavy hair I had to forget about it. Now I am trying to be the best with what I have- side, diagonal one. Not my biggest dream, but also one of the shapes I wanted to experiment with. It's still not perfect, but I am working on it;)
We're waiting for pics of your fringe:)

GlennaGirl
August 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I dreamed about such cut too. Heavy, straight, thick, blunt fringe. But having wavy hair I had to forget about it. Now I am trying to be the best with what I have- side, diagonal one. Not my biggest dream, but also one of the shapes I wanted to experiment with. It's still not perfect, but I am working on it;)
We're waiting for pics of your fringe:)

Posted one! :D Above. I loved my hair in that pic--it's actually a couple of years old. I loved how it went wavy that day.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Posted one! :D Above. I loved my hair in that pic--it's actually a couple of years old. I loved how it went wavy that day.

I see, I see! Yaay! This is exactly how I imagined your fringe. The description with curtains was great! :)
Soooo shiny strands... Mmmm...:)

Kristin
August 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
GlennaGirl- Those are cute on you! My bangs were like that around January, but they just looked like they were growing out; mine need to be a bit shorter and parted further so one side so they appear intentional. I really want straight-across bangs for fall! I'd let my stylist do it, but every time I ask for bangs, she cuts them too short. I can do side bangs on my own just fine, but straight-across bangs are such a commitment and I'm a afraid I'll screw them up. Someone posted a pic of JLo's current bangs in a thread the other day and they are sooooo pretty!

Qwackie
August 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
My bangs go to the right, side swept, layered, all that punky-ness. I'll try to find a pic.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM
My bangs go to the right, side swept, layered, all that punky-ness. I'll try to find a pic.

After this description- I cannot wait! :D

Kristin- i have noticed the same. When it comes to straight cuts stylists tend to cut too short. It's easier to hide too short cut on side bangs but straight... In the other hand, the general effect is worth taking a risk:)

GlennaGirl
August 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you, ((Henrietta))! The shine is courtesy of henna + indigo. :D My hair isn't naturally very shiny. It's actually sort of dull.

Thank you, Kristin! Yes, they do sort of just "blend into" the rest of my hair if I don't separate out the rest (in a half-up or whatever). I find that versatile for my hair though as even "invisible", the fact that they just barely hang out give my hair more depth front-to-back which I badly need. I, too, loved the J. Lo bangs. If you get them, remember...PICS, PICS, PICS! :D

lillylonghair
August 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I am currently growing my bangs out a bit because the lady who cut them totally messed them up! I wanted to tell her that do a better job myself but I restrained myself.....

But as soon as the grow out a bit (probablu another month or so) I'm going back to a long side swept bang which I haven't had in a while. I've been doing a blunt,thick seventies bang.

JCFantasy23
August 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I love bangs - to me makes the hair more interesting, less severe, creates a beautiful frame for the face depending how it's done, sometimes can encourage a youthful appearance and more feminine one. I have to have some bangs/fringe to hide a high indent in my forehead hair (or whatever its called)

Henrietta
August 16th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I am currently growing my bangs out a bit because the lady who cut them totally messed them up! I wanted to tell her that do a better job myself but I restrained myself.....

But as soon as the grow out a bit (probablu another month or so) I'm going back to a long side swept bang which I haven't had in a while. I've been doing a blunt,thick seventies bang.

I hate it too stylists mess up my fringe... I know what I want. And they don't do it. They have their own vision... You are right. Sometimes it is better to take a risk and cut the bangs at home;)

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Refresh of the thread!;)

My bangs are getting too long for me. I need to go to hairdresser. I tried to cut it myself many times and I failed so I decided to find a trusted hairdresser just for bangs cuts. Seccess. Yeah, so I have to visit the salon.
And- I don't know whether I should stay with my current shape, diagonal side bangs, or change it to inverted "U" shape. Very wide "U" of course;) There might be a technical problem- on one side there will be enough lengnt for such cut but I have way shorter hair on the lefy side... Ok, hairdresser will think about it.
I just have to decide... I used to have straight blunt or straight "U" shaped bangs for years, this diagonal side version is with me just for a year or so and I am afraid of changing it! When did I become such chicken?? ;)

Which one do you prefer, in general? Straight bangs (blunt or "U" shape) or side one? Not on me, I don't have pics to compare;)

Henrietta
October 21st, 2010, 03:51 AM
Refresh of the thread;)

How are you, bangs lovers?
We are fine, me and my fringe. It's the longest it has ever been now. I consider growing it a little more and keep it long, more like a side bangs that a one that covers the forehead. I discovered I like the way I look like with fringe clipped up, so I want it to be long enough to clip it but also I want to have it down sometimes, so it cannot be straight long one. I need to see where I am going:D

JenniferNoel
October 21st, 2010, 05:11 AM
Well a little update on my bangs. They're at eye-poke level now and I've still been slicking them back and slightly to the left every day with a little oil, and although I really enjoyed them, I think it's time to grow them out again. I haven't cut them since early September (above eyebrow level), and I decided I look better without 'em. I may end up cutting them back next summer but that's one of those wait-and-see kind of things.

cocolady
October 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM
I've always had bangs(not counting my rebelious goth phase lol).
They look awesome on me because I have a big forehead and quite a square face, so side bangs makes it all look softer and prettier. :)
I cut my own bangs since I am a hairdresser. I just hate the fact that my skin is oily so my bangs get oily really fast too. :\

Sooze
October 21st, 2010, 06:09 AM
As a teenager I never had a fringe. I acquired one in my twenties and loved it. As I've got older, and my hair thinner (also a curly girl!) my fringe began to resemble a comb-over. I now wear a sideswept fringe, but because I have a high forehead too, I miss my old style full fringe. Hopefully when it grows a little more, I can revert to a full fringe. If not, then I'll brazen it out!

Bonkers57
October 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
Oooh, baby bangs! I love them and have had them myself numerous times. :D If I grow them any longer they tend to clump together more. I have pics of them in my album.

Like someone else posted (sorry I can't remember her name) I, too have a huge, alien forehead that looks better covered. I just got my bangs trimmed to about 1/2 inch over my eyebrows. :eyebrows:

Bonkers57
October 21st, 2010, 06:38 AM
I've always had blunt, straight bangs. They look better on me because my hair is fine and straight, and they look better on my forehead. :pumpkin:

Refresh of the thread!;)
Which one do you prefer, in general? Straight bangs (blunt or "U" shape) or side one? Not on me, I don't have pics to compare;)

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've always had blunt, straight bangs. They look better on me because my hair is fine and straight, and they look better on my forehead. :pumpkin:

I wanted to have one too. But my hair tends to curl on the sides and I have frizzy, sticky strands on the sides of my head:D And even on my forehead it doesn't want to look like a straight curtain of hair... That's why I am growing it a little longer ;)

Bonkers57
October 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Ah, to have a nice full curtain of hair over my forehead! But I must choose the 'least bad' option, I'm afraid :(

I wanted to have one too. But my hair tends to curl on the sides and I have frizzy, sticky strands on the sides of my head:D And even on my forehead it doesn't want to look like a straight curtain of hair... That's why I am growing it a little longer ;)

Henrietta
October 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm wearing it up again today. And I am still confused. Really, I cannot wear it like that for years. Little claw clips don't look ok with an elegant bun when I go to opera house or something. But I like the look in general.
If I grew it longer, or completely long, so it could be added to ponytails, buns etc.- I wouldn't have the little "poufs" above my forehead and I would look bald... And, still, from time to time I like to wear it down. Now it's ok. Short enough to be worn down, long enough to be clipped up with 3 small clips. But... I really cannot wear the until the rest of my live. From the front- it's ok. But from the back- total mess. And, as I said, this look is not perfect for all the occasions.

Any ideas?
Maybe I should have two strands of shorter hair, like... chin length, on both sides of my face? They'd be long enough to be put in a pony, bun, braid, whatever with the rest of my hair, but also they would play the role of a fringe from time to time.

Or maybe I should grow it to chin length and switch the parting to the side? Both options- down and up- would be available... I think.

I like myself without the bangs on my forehead. But when it lays smooth on my head I look bald. I need those "poufs" above my forehead that clipped up fringe gives me, but only sometimes, and without the ends of it hanging down messy at the back of my head.

Help...:(

DivineComedian
October 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I do have a thick, blunt fringe which I love the look of, but because my hair is wavy and I've given up straighteners for now, it takes a lot of work for it to look decent, so I often just sweep it to the side.

Qwackie
October 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Finally found a picture~
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/xXQwackieXx/Caitlinsnewdo-1.jpg
They're longer now, that was in May.

PiroskaCicu
October 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM
I've always had bangs! The one time when I didn't have bangs, I really liked it actually but I got bored with it....

Anywhere
October 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM
My bangs are straight across at eyebrow level, I'll try to get a pic sometime. I cut them myself, I feel like I look younger with them and considered growing them back out to a longer side swept bang, but DBF assured me I look more mature with the bangs like this and that they're fine.

Shellby
October 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Another high forehead bang wearer here. I have to have bangs. Without them I look severe. If I put my hair up without bangs I call it my peeled onion look. Not attractive. I need the bangs to soften my look. I have had them many different lengths and thicknesses, but I think this combo has been perfect. Triangle shaped. I like them just at my eyebrows. They are not completely straight across, I cut little v's into them. I sometimes blow dry them with a big round brush. Most of the time I try to put them up in large velcro curlers. Usually dry by the time I am done with my make up. I have cut them myself for years. A few bang cutting tips: Make sure that your scissors are good quality and sharp, cut longer than you think you want them, NEVER CUT WHILE ANGRY. Really, it was not a good look. :(

Shellby
October 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Finally found a picture~
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/xXQwackieXx/Caitlinsnewdo-1.jpg
They're longer now, that was in May.

I love this on you. Very nice.

Bonkers57
October 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
You mean a widow's peak?

I love bangs - to me makes the hair more interesting, less severe, creates a beautiful frame for the face depending how it's done, sometimes can encourage a youthful appearance and more feminine one. I have to have some bangs/fringe to hide a high indent in my forehead hair (or whatever its called)

Bonkers57
October 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM
That's what my hairdresser does - she cuts little v's into mine. I'm blessed in that I have a hairdresser I can trust. She does what I ask her to do. And $4 for a bang trim won't break my bank. I'll have to try velcro rollers; my hair dries pretty fast. :smile:

I like Quackie's bangs, but my hair is way too fine and my face too oily. :disgust:

Another high forehead bang wearer here. I have to have bangs. Without them I look severe. If I put my hair up without bangs I call it my peeled onion look. Not attractive. I need the bangs to soften my look. I have had them many different lengths and thicknesses, but I think this combo has been perfect. Triangle shaped. I like them just at my eyebrows. They are not completely straight across, I cut little v's into them. I sometimes blow dry them with a big round brush. Most of the time I try to put them up in large velcro curlers. Usually dry by the time I am done with my make up. I have cut them myself for years. A few bang cutting tips: Make sure that your scissors are good quality and sharp, cut longer than you think you want them, NEVER CUT WHILE ANGRY. Really, it was not a good look. :(

RedheadMistress
January 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM
- I'm considering growing mine out but now that it's recently cut it just makes sense to keep it, I think it looks good short, makes me feel less naked in the face .

I tend to accidentally always cut it too short but end up liking the look :P

Some pics of diff bangs I cut;
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4953602339_282de38676_m.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4913466389_97bbce78fd.jpg/

Wheatland
January 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I always go back and forth between bangs but I think that bangs can really help the shape of a face. When I have long hair with longer layers I definitely like my bangs.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/Photo54.jpg

Rini
January 12th, 2011, 12:28 AM
This thread makes me want to get a fringe again :D I'm always cutting and growing out my fringe. Right now, it's grown out.

Here's the thing though: even when I don't have a fringe, I'm always clipping up the front of my hair into a poof as I feel I need the height there (see sig pic), so why don't I just keep a fringe so that I can occasionally wear it??? It would have to be side swept on my curly hair (henrietta, I like yours!). Also, my hair is very fine and on the thinnish side, so I'm not sure if a fringe would suit me. Here is a pic of the last time I had a fringe (about a year ago):

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/newfringe2.jpg

(hair had been straightened by the hairdresser here)

<sigh>.....I don't know, maybe I'll do it again. I just hate the maintenance because I'm so lazy!! :rolleyes:

Wheatland
January 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM
This thread makes me want to get a fringe again :D I'm always cutting and growing out my fringe. Right now, it's grown out.

Here's the thing though: even when I don't have a fringe, I'm always clipping up the front of my hair into a poof as I feel I need the height there (see sig pic), so why don't I just keep a fringe so that I can occasionally wear it??? It would have to be side swept on my curly hair (henrietta, I like yours!). Also, my hair is very fine and on the thinnish side, so I'm not sure if a fringe would suit me. Here is a pic of the last time I had a fringe (about a year ago):

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/newfringe2.jpg

(hair had been straightened by the hairdresser here)

<sigh>.....I don't know, maybe I'll do it again. I just hate the maintenance because I'm so lazy!! :rolleyes:
Rini, I think you look stunning with a fringe! The one in your picture from a year ago is perfect for your face shape.

(Just had to share ^.^)

Aveyronnaise
January 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hurrah, I love bangs, fringe what have you . They really spice things up for me and give some versatility and softness to updos.
I put some pictures of my new bangs in an album on my profile , but i don't know how to link them from there.
Maybe someone could tell me?

Rini
January 12th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Hey thanks Wheatland :flowers:

Henrietta
January 12th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I moved my fringe to the other side. Now it's better. Shorter strands are hidden at the back instead of being on my eyes:) And it's easier to braid it in.

Picture in "The hair" album;)

Rini
January 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hi Henrietta, I checked all of your albums, but could not find any pics of your fringe. Could you direct me please? I'd really love to see!

Rebecca.1905
January 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ah, one of these days I'll get enough posts to see albums! :-)

For now, I'm a total fringy girl! I love love love my bangs and think I look odd without them. I don't have a forehead - I have a five-head! So yeah, fringe is definitely necessary. Right now they're about eyebrow length and I do the upkeep myself. To trim, I take all the fringies together, twist, and trim the end just a little bit. It gives it a feathery, floaty feel which I really like and works well with my pudger of a face.

Can't wait to get all my posts in so I can see everyone elses! I need to comment more.

Sundial
January 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have never grown out my fringe. I loved experimenting with mine - I have had them blunt, sideswept, asymetrical, etc.

I would like to grow them out for a change, but for some reason I always hate the way I look when they start growing longer (somewhere around my nose) and that is when I lop them off.

For now, my fringe is sideswept:

http://img255.imageshack.us/i/fringeb.png/

lacefrost
January 12th, 2011, 09:13 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=88363

My bangs after a braid out. I've trimmed them since this picture so they're a little shorter and less scraggly looking. But for the most part my bangs bore me. I was thinking about coloring them to spice things up and because I shouldn't color the rest of my hair. Suggestions?

heynormy
January 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I go back and forth between loving my bangs and hating them!! Currently I hate them, so I'm growing them out, too bad it will take forever!! :D

Henrietta
January 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=88363

My bangs after a braid out. I've trimmed them since this picture so they're a little shorter and less scraggly looking. But for the most part my bangs bore me. I was thinking about coloring them to spice things up and because I shouldn't color the rest of my hair. Suggestions?

That's the length I am growing mine for;) Are you able to put yours into a bun/braid/ anything at the back of your head already?
About the colouring... warm, chocolate brown?

Arya
January 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I want my bangs back...but I hate how oily they get!! Anyone have any suggestions for that?

katgib
January 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I have side-swept bangs (which are growing out now, eep!) and I love them. My face just looks wrong without them. I have a very small forehead due to a low hairline, and they hide them pretty effectively. I'm not sure I am capable of posting pictures of them yet.

Henrietta
January 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I want my bangs back...but I hate how oily they get!! Anyone have any suggestions for that?

Sure;) When I used to wear mine down more often I just washed it as often as I needed. It's quick and won't damage your hair since the fringe is growing fast and you are still cutting and cutting it;)

Nago
January 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I used to have bangs when I was small. When I was a teenager I didn't like them because I had acne. And now that my skin is normal again I have returnet to the bangs. I love them because they help me to hide my large forehead XD

I have something between Bettie Page and Emily the stange bangs right now.

Arya
January 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Sure;) When I used to wear mine down more often I just washed it as often as I needed. It's quick and won't damage your hair since the fringe is growing fast and you are still cutting and cutting it;)

ahh, but I can't my hair wet without having to shampoo it. If I get a little bit of water on my hair, it goes crazyyy!!! It's too hard to wash bangs without getting any water on the rest of my hair.

cleanbug
January 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I've asked before and I'm still curious-- do most people here who have bangs have triangle or crescent or rectangular sections for the fringe hair?? I think my rectangle sectioning may be a bit of an oddity and might be one factor in why my front hair seems to look a bit thin to me. I think a triangle might be better but I am very hesitant to cut off tailbone length locks and then have it not work.........:confused:
I just cut a fringe. I did a bunch of research on the internet, watched numerous youtube videos on cutting bangs & this is what i came up with.
the roots of the hair that are to be your bangs should not be wider than the outer edge of your iris' of your eyes. this way you have a bang but it doesn't cut into the actual line of hair that should fall to the sides of your face.
the other thing i noticed is that most of them suggested that you have a triangle section of hair for the fringe.
my fringe area is triangle shaped & about 1.5 inches at the deepest portion.
i have had bangs before & did not have them cut this way & was never quite happy with them.
i had grown out my pixie haircut 4 years ago & had long/grown in bangs up until a week ago.
i finally have bangs i love! i am so happy i cut them.

lacefrost
January 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Henrietta I think my bangs are probably the best length evar since

1)There's no awkward stage for them to grow out
2)You can pin them out of your face
3)They fit in buns. I normally wear my buns kind of high so I dunno about mid-buns or low ones

I guess my thing would be what part to color. Thin streaks? Thick chunky streaks? The whole bang?

Rosepot
January 13th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I have a fringe and I love it! I swap between blunt cut and side swept! if i want a more dramatic look I will style them blunt.. and for a more feminine look i have them side swept :)

I find the easiet method to trim fringes/bangs is to have your hair clean, dry and styled.. then use a comb to gently hold your fringe in place..after that trim away! this helps me to never over trim :D

i will upload some pictures into my profile at some point today :)

Rebecca.1905
January 13th, 2011, 06:29 AM
ahh, but I can't my hair wet without having to shampoo it. If I get a little bit of water on my hair, it goes crazyyy!!! It's too hard to wash bangs without getting any water on the rest of my hair.

Have you tried dry shampoo? I don't know much about it, but from what I've heard, you just spray (or shake? not sure) it on at the roots and comb in thru. It's supposed to absorb oils and make the hair smell nice. Might be something to look into for an oily fringe so you don't have to wash and worry about the rest of your hair getting wet.

Arya
January 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Have you tried dry shampoo? I don't know much about it, but from what I've heard, you just spray (or shake? not sure) it on at the roots and comb in thru. It's supposed to absorb oils and make the hair smell nice. Might be something to look into for an oily fringe so you don't have to wash and worry about the rest of your hair getting wet.

I've heard a lot about these dry shampoos, but I've never seen them! Where do you get them (I live in Canada)

Bonkers57
January 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Love your bangs!

I cut Bettie Page bangs myself about a week ago. I know that true 'Betties' are cut upwards at the temples, but I wasn't quite brave enough to try that yet! I'll post pics later.

Torrin Paige
January 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I apparently missed this thread originally. So, anywhoodle, I'm a bang/fringe girl. I grew my bangs out a few years ago...and then realized that I looked bald when I had my hair up and I have a five-head and an ugly hairline. So, bangs it is. Mine are just little wispy things and I like them that way. I keep thinking of trying a side swept look, but they reach chin length and annoy me, so I end up trimming them back up. I love Anna Paquin's bangs on True Blood. Her's are the side swept variety, but they're puny like mine, and since our faces are kinda shaped the same, I'm debating going for them. Alrighty then, here's a shot of my fringe.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY1901.jpg

Rini
January 15th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Torrin, as a regular viewer of your incredibly helpful video tutorials, I recognise that fringe!! Nice :D

I've actually started using my baby hairs (from my hair growth since quitting dye) and I like it! Makes a big difference, even though it's only a few hairs. I don't have to cut a fringe now :cheese:

redhead_rachel
January 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8485890&l=53b70b584f&id=506486060 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8485890&l=53b70b584f&id=506486060

here's my relativley new fringe...I did it on a whim and I LOVE it :p

Rebecca.1905
January 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Arya: I live in the US, so I googled it and it looks like London Drugs carries it. I'm assuming that's a Canadian pharmacy? I apologize if I'm wrong.here's also a brand called Batiste that is supposed to be good that you can get online. Also, most people seem to agree that spray is better than powder, but powder might be easier to control where you put it. I wouldn't worry too much about using it on your fringe, but I'd try to keep as much off the rest of your hair as you can... it can cause build up if it's used too often.

I hope this helps some and you can get the pretty fringe you want! I <3 mine!!

Arya
January 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Arya: I live in the US, so I googled it and it looks like London Drugs carries it. I'm assuming that's a Canadian pharmacy? I apologize if I'm wrong.here's also a brand called Batiste that is supposed to be good that you can get online. Also, most people seem to agree that spray is better than powder, but powder might be easier to control where you put it. I wouldn't worry too much about using it on your fringe, but I'd try to keep as much off the rest of your hair as you can... it can cause build up if it's used too often.

I hope this helps some and you can get the pretty fringe you want! I <3 mine!!

I FOUND RECIPES! Cos I am cheap and crafty!

From http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6118

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #1:

• 1 cup of ground oatmeal
• 1 cup of baking soda

Combine ingredients and then transfer into a clean jar.

How to use:

Massage a little into the oiliest parts of your hair and allow the mixture to absorb the oil.. To remove, brush and then shake the hair.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #2:

• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1 tablespoon ground almonds
• 1 tablespoon orris root

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Massage 1 teaspoon of the dry shampoo mixture into the scalp and then brush it out thoroughly. If your hair still feels greasy, repeat the procedure at least once.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #3:

• ½ cup cornmeal or other flour
• ½ cup almond meal or other nut meal (nuts ground in a blender will do)

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Dust the hair with the shampoo, massage it gently and lightly into the scalp, then brush out.

How good do these sound! I'ma make 1 today! ^___^

Toadstool
January 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Lacefrost I truly love your hair.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Question for any of you with wavy/curly hair and blunt bangs, how do you keep them from freaking out in the rain and such? I'm considering growing mine out to chin so I don't have to worry about that, but ugh. My protruding fivehead is just too horrible to have nothing covering it.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I FOUND RECIPES! Cos I am cheap and crafty!

From http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6118

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #1:

• 1 cup of ground oatmeal
• 1 cup of baking soda

Combine ingredients and then transfer into a clean jar.

How to use:

Massage a little into the oiliest parts of your hair and allow the mixture to absorb the oil.. To remove, brush and then shake the hair.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #2:

• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1 tablespoon ground almonds
• 1 tablespoon orris root

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Massage 1 teaspoon of the dry shampoo mixture into the scalp and then brush it out thoroughly. If your hair still feels greasy, repeat the procedure at least once.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #3:

• ½ cup cornmeal or other flour
• ½ cup almond meal or other nut meal (nuts ground in a blender will do)

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Dust the hair with the shampoo, massage it gently and lightly into the scalp, then brush out.

How good do these sound! I'ma make 1 today! ^___^

Wouldn't the natural oil in nuts just make hair oily? :confused:
I've never used dry shampoo so I'm not sure how it works..

Rebecca.1905
January 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
The first recipe doesn't have nuts, so if nuts do cause greasiness (and I have no idea if they do or would) it wouldn't be a problem with that one. Actually, I might try that myself!

Arya - thanks for sharing those recipes!!

Arya
January 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
The first recipe doesn't have nuts, so if nuts do cause greasiness (and I have no idea if they do or would) it wouldn't be a problem with that one. Actually, I might try that myself!

Arya - thanks for sharing those recipes!!

I actually have no idea about the nuts, I just copied and pasted the recipies from elsewhere. I thought we could experiment and figure out what works ourselves (I trust LHC judgement waaay more than anyone else's).

I'm a big fan of sharing ^__^ Lemme know how it goes!

Atira
January 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have thought about doing bangs, but I have curly hair (see album) What do yall think? And how do you find a stylist to cut bangs without ruining them??

Lil Red Vampire
January 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have had bangs my entire life. I have a ginormous forehead so I don't much have a choice. Also, the older I get, they younger I look with bangs!

Speckla
January 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Here's mine. :eyebrows:

http://images54.fotki.com/v1593/photos/7/1199357/9348314/000_0014-vi.jpg

Bonkers57
January 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I don't have wavy/curly hair, but I've seen several YouTube videos on how to style "faux" bangs. Those should work wonderfully with curly/wavy hair.

Question for any of you with wavy/curly hair and blunt bangs, how do you keep them from freaking out in the rain and such? I'm considering growing mine out to chin so I don't have to worry about that, but ugh. My protruding fivehead is just too horrible to have nothing covering it.

ooo
January 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I have thought about doing bangs, but I have curly hair (see album) What do yall think? And how do you find a stylist to cut bangs without ruining them??

I have chin long bangs. They are chemically straightened. Still my bangs are not super straight, but straight enough to handle them. If they were any shorter, I think it would be to much effort for me.

Speckla
January 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM

My bangs reach to just about my eyebrows when straight. I make sure they're atleast that long because I can pin them back if I have to. I always keep a few bobbypins with me. In the morning I straighten them with a curling iron, rub a bit of oil on them and then use a round brush on them. They tend to stay like my pix above all day.

I don't use any heat spray but you could to avoid heat damage. I don't worry too much about my bangs because I keep them short and all the damage gets trimmed off regulary.

lacefrost
January 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Lacefrost I truly love your hair.
Aww thank you!

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you speckla.

I'm so frustrated. I wanted to grow my bangs out, but I just cut them hoping that I might like them better but nope. my bangs go nearly halfway to the top of my head (3" back from my hairline, since I have a super high hairline that starts an inch after my head gets flat for the top grr.) and they're still so thin. They constantly look greasy (unless I shampoo them, then they look super dry and that's just as bad). and they clump awkwardly and its so frustrating. Ugh. Why did I bother trying to cut them again when I knew I didn't like them this way?

Wonder if I can get extensions on just my bangs.. :hmm:

Atira
January 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Those who have curly hair & bangs, could you post pictures from the front? Please? :)

ooo
January 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I'm securing my fringe with a bobby pin. The "bow" it forms is not natural :wink:

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/typing/P1170001.jpg

cleanbug
January 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Wonder if I can get extensions on just my bangs.. :hmm:
yes you can. i once (years ago when i had pixie bangs) checked into getting extentions in the bangs only. it was a high end salon that regularly dealt with celebrities & such.
they said it was definitely possible & would make the transition easier until the real bangs were chin length.
if it makes it easier for you, i would definitely look into it.

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM
yes you can. i once (years ago when i had pixie bangs) checked into getting extentions in the bangs only. it was a high end salon that regularly dealt with celebrities & such.
they said it was definitely possible & would make the transition easier until the real bangs were chin length.
if it makes it easier for you, i would definitely look into it.

Really? I must look into this. :D
Kind of afraid about how my hair'll be once the extensions get taken out though..

Arya
January 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Really? I must look into this. :D
Kind of afraid about how my hair'll be once the extensions get taken out though..

you could get those clip on bangs! They'd be cheaper, wouldn't get greasy, and would hide your natural ones.

dropinthebucket
January 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Bang washes. I only wash my hair twice a week, whether it needs more or not. But I wash my bangs every day, or every second day, because my face cream always ends up getting onto the bangs somehow, making them greasy and horrid. I just run some water in the bathroom sink, tie the length back in a hair-friendly thingy, lather up my shampoo bar, slap the lather on the bangs, and rinse off, either dipping just the front of my head where the bangs are face forward into the sink, or using a cup to rinse the lather off with. Easy peasy bang wash.

dropinthebucket
January 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
. Also, my hair is very fine and on the thinnish side, so I'm not sure if a fringe would suit me. :rolleyes:

This was my problem with bangs, too. I hardly have any hair as it is, how to have enough for decent looking bangs, and still have some left for the rest of it??? ;)

When I last had bangs cut, the hairdresser cut them way too deep, so I would actually look like I have some thickness to my bangs. Left almost nothing on the sides. I've been growing half the bangs she cut out (so I have these two weird pieces hanging just below chin) and trimming the rest, then sweeping to the side. Thank goodness, the growing out bits are finally long enough to go up with the rest when I put my hair up now! I had a pretty strange 3-level effect going on there for a while. :D

Anywhere
January 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
you could get those clip on bangs! They'd be cheaper, wouldn't get greasy, and would hide your natural ones.

but what happens once my natural bangs get too long. I feel like it'd look awkward behind(or on top of.. I don't know how people wear clip on bangs) the clip ons.

anyway with my luck once I see myself without bangs I'll probably cut them back, or at least leave them as sidebangs. I have a protruding fivehead so. :oops:

Lil Red Vampire
January 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Anywhere, did you cut your bangs yourself? It sounds like you just got a bad bang cut to begin with. I don't think bangs are easy to cut at all. They have to be just right or your whole look goes to hell :-)

Clean bug, I LOVE your hair!

Dropinthebucket- thanks for the bang washing tutorial. I have the same problem!

Freki
January 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I absolutely adore bangs. I've had them the majority of my life and they're become a part of my self-image. I can use and abuse them while leaving the rest of my hair alone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/LupineLullaby/061810181426.jpg

lacefrost
January 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Anywhere have you thought about using dry shampoo on your bangs? It's really nothing more than talc or cornstarch, that kind of thing, and it absorbs excess oil. I think I saw some recipes on here for that.

Freki I love your bangs!

XJawbreaker
January 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I will never never never get rid of my bangs! I've had then since I was 14, and I'm almost 20 now! I just can't imagine my face without them! I hate it when I even have to pull them back for a show/practice.

Anywhere
January 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Anywhere, did you cut your bangs yourself? It sounds like you just got a bad bang cut to begin with.

Yes, I cut my bangs myself. I have a video of them in my most recent blog posting if you'd like to see. I actually have a love/hate relationship with my bangs and am once again enjoying them. :)

brista
January 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I trimmed my bangs too short and now I have Dorothy Hamill bangs. It looks like my mom gave me a bowl-cut or something. I kind of want to cancel all my plans and stay in for the next week. Do you think bad bangs are an acceptable blind-date rescheduling excuse? :D Probably not...

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm going through another i-hate-my-bangs phase. ugh. :rolleyes:

Its because they're always so stringy and thin looking.

Bonkers57
January 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'd say it's a good excuse, but then, that's me! :laugh: I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I cut mine shorter than I wanted to. I was trying to cut Bettie Page bangs, but true Betties are shorter near the temples, and I'd cut the middle too short. I cut them a bit too wide, too. But since my bangs grow really fast, they should all be in my eyes again soon. Otherwise I haven't had a trim since October, and I don't see any out-of-the-ordinary damage. I plan to go as long as I can stand it without trimming.

Anyway, bangs grow fast for most people, so yours should be back where you want them in no time!

(For the record, I liked Dorothy Hamill's wedge and wore it myself way back when. I'm aging myself...)

I trimmed my bangs too short and now I have Dorothy Hamill bangs. It looks like my mom gave me a bowl-cut or something. I kind of want to cancel all my plans and stay in for the next week. Do you think bad bangs are an acceptable blind-date rescheduling excuse? :D Probably not...

LindainCO
January 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
I have pretty much always had bangs, since I was a little girl. You older ladies will remember Marianne Faithful, I
had that look in HS...
I was really surprised last week, going through pictures to do a family "photo wall" and found that at one point I was growing them out. Amazing that I can't remember it!

Anyway, I try to do uneven, messy bangs (they go with a messy bun!) and sometimes to one side. Messy hairstyles look best on me. The tousled look.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t298/keikoasmom/IMG_0344.jpg

Bonkers57
January 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
I definitely remember Marianne Faithful - a lot of girls copied her look.

Interesting you mention the messy, touselled look. All my life I've been fighting to get that geometric, perfect cap of hair ala Louise Brooks. I've been going against what my hair naturally wants to do, so it might do me some good to embrace the messiness and the flyaways and go with them! Whoa...maybe even consider fairytale ends... :face:

I have pretty much always had bangs, since I was a little girl. You older ladies will remember Marianne Faithful, I
had that look in HS...
I was really surprised last week, going through pictures to do a family "photo wall" and found that at one point I was growing them out. Amazing that I can't remember it!

Anyway, I try to do uneven, messy bangs (they go with a messy bun!) and sometimes to one side. Messy hairstyles look best on me. The tousled look.

fairy_ends_girl
January 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Oh Freki! I Love, love, love the blue bangs!!! Your rock them well! I myself am growing out Bettie Page bangs. they are at the tip of my nose now.

Barniie
February 7th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I just cut mine! woo it was really exhilirating i just ponytailed my hair and went *snip*!! beforehand I went up to my mum and was like 'im getting a fringe ok cool' then walked off. but it looks good!

Henrietta
February 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I wear mine pinned to the side so it's almost like no bangs. Accidentally yesterday I discovered my pics from the past Spring. So they are quite new, I looked like I look now. And I wore my bangs "normally". Maybe it was just one good day that it wasn't messed by wind or maybe it's just an impression of something different after wearing it up or clipped for a long time now but... I missed it.
Change was good, I have that face type that looks more mature without fringe. And, yes, it was messy all the time. Wavy and light it was prone to be messed by wind...
Ok. I still have it and I can wear it down if I want to. Change was good. I am not going to go back to short fringe. No. I can't go back just because I used to have it all my live. I just look and feel better without it. Sometimes I just think I look boring... But I had such thoughts when I had short fringe too.

Linika
August 23rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
I have a fringe! And I've had it for ages :) I really look better with it, otherwise my forhead is just... big o.O

It's really smooth when it's the right length (around eyebrow length) And at the moment I have it cut stright. I cut it just the other day because it was getting long and falling to the side. I didn't like that. It looks okay but I have to touch it all the time and it gets into my eyes :(

The only thing I really dislike when it comes to my finge is that it grows so slow :o

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
hate my bangs will post pic l8r ~~

mallorykay13
August 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I dont like how thick mine are. I feel like they are more little kiddish than I would like, so I am going to grow them out and then re cut them

QueenJoey
August 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm in the US, and pretty much everyone calls them bangs, but fringe makes more sense. I need to find a picture of when I had bangs (fringe) across my forehead. I'm growing them out, and they making a nice chin length layer. I usually have them just side swept, so that was a big change for me. I did enjoy them while they were shorter, but I got sick of the constant trimming.

SusanSt
August 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've always had bangs since a little girl, except for a brief time in high school when I tried growing them out. I've always thought my forehead was too high to go without them, but have wished I could!

citadel
August 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I've had bangs on and off for the last four years. They are HUGE in Asia (in one class of 16 year olds that I had, there was not one single girl without them) so I started wearing them, too, since they fit that doll-like aesthetic. I got sick of them this year, though, and since then have let them grow out to chin length. So awkward...why can't they grow faster??
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/ardisonthemark/DSC_7995-Copy-1.jpg

sre
September 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Citadel: Your fringe looks so beautiful! That's exactly like I would like my finge to be - expect it never looks as good. But I'm sure your hair will look gorgeous without a finge too, so keep growing if that's what you've decided. Love the colour, too. :)

I have always had a fringe, except in elementary school. Wanted to look more grown-up then... I remember my dad, who never comments anything on my hair, saying it suits me well right after I cut my fringe back in middle school. :p Now my finge is quite a mess. I was unhappy about the shape my fringe, so I have been cutting and growing it a lot lately. First I thought that I needed to take more hair from the back/top and grow some parts out from the sides so it wouldn't be so wide. Wrong decision, it looked just more wrong after months of trying. The parting of my fringe and other hair was also too sharp, a rounder parting suits my face better. Now I just have to grow those extra hairs on the top of my head long again. Hopefully it will look decent till christmas.

rbecks
September 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
LOVE my bangs. After going most of my life without them, I got very long side bangs in grade 10 and by first year uni I had blunt front bangs. Since then I have pretty much stuck with the front ones, unless they get too long and then become side bangs.

I just love the versatility of them and the way they can soften a ponytail or other updo.

oktobergoud
September 4th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I've had bangs on and off for the last four years. They are HUGE in Asia (in one class of 16 year olds that I had, there was not one single girl without them) so I started wearing them, too, since they fit that doll-like aesthetic. I got sick of them this year, though, and since then have let them grow out to chin length. So awkward...why can't they grow faster??

I looove your hair! :eek::eek:

I just cut bangs a week ago :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/P8275754a.jpg

never mind the odd O_O face :P Haha that really is an unflattering picture.. oh well, it shows the bangs well :P

luthein
September 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Everyone's bangs look so great :)
Here's a photo of the bangs I cut a while back. I think I'm going to grow half of them out, so I just have a few face-framing layers around my chin.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8000&pictureid=104541

ingvild
September 4th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Citadel and oktobergoud, you both look great with your fringes!

Sometimes I feel an urge to get a fringe again.. I don't know.. my "fringe" is now APL, it would be so much work to get back there again! For good measure, here's a pic of me with my fringe (about three years old)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2896104730_822a1b7d54.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pingvingvild/2896104730/)

What the deal is now:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6110180640_5744e1284f_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pingvingvild/6110180640/)

lol, excuse the smile ;) I'll probably be no fringe still, but sometimes I wish I had one. I love the look with long hair. :) I just get too annoyed with having one..

lillylonghair
September 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Ingvild-you are adorable!!!! Haha I never actually see your face:p I'm not sure I like the straight across fringe but maybe a longer side-swept bang would be super cute? I think you look cute either way:)

I've actually been contemplating bangs again......I've been growing out super short Bettie bangs for a few months and they are finally past my eyes. I think if I get them again,I'll wait another month or so and then maybe get side bangs and layers around my face. I'm not sure....

Lady Dragon
September 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have been toying with the idea of cutting some bangs again.
I want to wait a little bit longer though because I really like being able to pull my hair back into a little tiny pony.

Idjit
September 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
citadel you are GORGEOUS!

I'm considering cutting bangs but I haven't had them since I was 5 and I'm not sure if I should. But I have been thinking about it for quite a long so I figure I might as well. Was doing the same back and forth with dying red and I love it so this may work out just as well.

I have a question for the DIYers. How do you figure out how much you want to put into the fringe? I think the main reason I haven't just cut the darn things is because I wasn't sure how much to section off.

archel
September 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I just got new bangs last week! Yay! I love them SO MUCH!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305082_10150359833300631_512320630_10510104_159831 5_n.jpg

jaine
September 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I had side-swept bangs with my pixie cut...it was the longest part of my hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4650&pictureid=59773

I liked it but I've grown them out now so I'll be less tempted to cut my hair in the bathroom ... it's too tempting to trim the surrounding layers if I trim bangs at home, then I usually mess something up and try to fix it but I make things worse. Then I have to get a full haircut to fix the shape once and for all. Without bangs I can go longer between cuts.

Lady Dragon
September 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I've hit the point in 'awkward hair grow out' stage where I just need to shape it... I'm thinking a fringe will help.

Sakuracha
September 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM

Your bangs look so pretty, I got my bangs for similar reasons. When I was in Japan in 2009, most of the girls at my study abroad university had them so I had some cut in. Now I've grown bored of them and am growing them out. I'm tired of trimming my bangs crooked and the high maintenance at the moment.

ladonna
September 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I have long bang's, but I'm trying not to heat curl my hair so I've been having to hide my bang's. I have to use a really really hot iron to get them to curl so after a few month's I have breakage and then have to cut them off. I'm trying to figure out a now heat curl method for side swept bangs, but no luck yet.

GlennaGirl
September 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I had side-swept bangs with my pixie cut...it was the longest part of my hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4650&pictureid=59773

Pretty! :)

BeckyAH
September 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Greylin/family-2.jpg

I LOVE my bangs. I grew them out once. Huge disaster - I just look wrong.

lillylonghair
September 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Septembers here and I am feeling the bang urge again!!!! Maybe I should just used to having bangs fall/winter and then growing them out spring summer.lol Now I just need to find a good stylist.

mojavewolf1
September 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have bangs and have for a long time..I am always having to cut them ...Sometimes 3times in a month! I wish my hair would grow like that all over!!!! There is a famous hairsylist cutter and I cant remember who it is...But if I could remember his name you would know him...He says not to have bangs...The reason is ,your hair grows faster without them!
He was saying the place where you keep cutting(bangs) that is where the growth is going instead of all over..Im not sure of his full reasoning for this one..But I am thinking of letting my bangs grow out as well as my hair...:thud::cheer:

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Does having bangs make thin hair looks thicker or thinner??

GlennaGirl
September 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Does having bangs make thin hair looks thicker or thinner??

It really depends upon so many things. In general, having bangs won't make the *rest* of the hair look thicker, but if you only cut in a small fringe (not far back on the scalp and no farther horizontally than the edge of the irises of your eyes), it can give you "head width" and height. Sometimes this requires playing with the bangs a little to get volume...there are loads of tricks for this.

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
It really depends upon so many things. In general, having bangs won't make the *rest* of the hair look thicker, but if you only cut in a small fringe (not far back on the scalp and no farther horizontally than the edge of the irises of your eyes), it can give you "head width" and height. Sometimes this requires playing with the bangs a little to get volume...there are loads of tricks for this.

I have some currently, but I am thinking of growing them out, I tend to go back and forth with them.. And my bangs don't ever get volume.. Straight and flat :)

Anywhere
January 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Why hello thread. I RESURRECT THEE.
:rip::brains:
I've chopped my bangs back a bit. They're side bangs.
I have a massive forehead and a square hairline, so I need something there.

I'm going insane not being able to keep the hair out of my eyes though. :p

I want to have the blunt cut bangs again but I can never make them look good since I have to straighten them, they either look oily or fried. :(

ericthegreat
January 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I have side swept bangs that are routinely cut just below my eyes. I keep them just long enough so that I can easily slick them back when I want to ponytail it. You can check out my albums to see several pictures where I have my side bangs, or look at the pic I am showing below.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4826&pictureid=83483

AvonleLocks
January 30th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I want to jump in...I am new here. I am having a love-hate relationship with bangs right now. I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit so I bought some clip-in side swept bangs. They blend really well color-wise, but I have wavy to curly hair and the bangs are very smooth. Everytime I try to cut some bangs, I get afraid but I am sick of looking at my forehead! UGH...so love...hate...LOL

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I have pixie bangs. I don't know how to put pictures on a thread you can see them in my the start album. I love bangs.

Freki
February 1st, 2012, 02:31 AM
These are my bangs currently. I've had bangs since I was little because I just don't like the look of my face without them. They soften up my look quite a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/LupineLullaby/324106_10150299395807297_532237296_8011505_1407031 952_o-1.jpg

rakueru
February 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have long bangs. Well, actually, I cut them above my eyebrows yesterday, for the first time. For the past two or three years I cut them right at or right below my brows. It's funny, I was considering letting them grow out, because I'm tired of the maintenance, but I think I look so much better with them, and I ended up just cutting them shorter for something different. :D

cobden 28
February 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Don't know about mainland Europe, but here in the UK a 'bang' is a 'noise', as in the description 'a loud bang' which refers to a loud noise. That part of your hair that covers your forehead is a FRINGE.

For most of my life I've had a fringe (on my forehead!) of some sort, even when I've had short hair. The last time I had a fringe was in 2005. My mother thinks I look better with a fringe and always says so, every time I see her, but I've grown my fringe out to suit ME not to suit what she thinks is best for me.

Toadstool
February 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Don't know about mainland Europe, but here in the UK a 'bang' is a 'noise', as in the description 'a loud bang' which refers to a loud noise. That part of your hair that covers your forehead is a FRINGE.

I think she's referring to "bangers" as sausages, as in bangers and mash :)

ranaenelcomal
February 5th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I've had bangs for the past 4 years; they soften up my longish face. I've tried blunt bangs a couple of times, but the upkeep is terrible when my hair gets the greasies so easily. I find that side swept bangs work the best for me; no heat, no styling except for parting them to the side after a shower, and the greasiness isn't as evident as with the blunt ones.

patienceneeded
February 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I trimmed my bangs myself last night. I had a stylist cut them in to my hair mid-December and have been trimming them myself since then. She would trim the bangs for about $5, but the salon is about 40 min away from my house and I just don't want to make the drive for a bangs-only trim that takes 5-10 minutes. I'll probably go in and have her trim them professionally sometime in March and then maintain them myself again until my next whole-head trim in June. Luckily, the style I'm wearing is slightly choppy and longish, so I don't have to get the trim "perfect."

Rosa
February 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I've been maintaining my bangs myself - what a disaster! now I can't leave them alone and keeping finding more and more stray hairs. I'll have to be patient and leave them till my next trim - and get in a professional. Like some others, I don't like myself without bangs - too severe. I like Bettie Page bangs (just not on me) and sideswept bangs.

rachel809
February 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I had a horrible experience with bangs back in '09. I wanted side swept bangs and the stylist, well, I don't even know WHAT to call it! I don't think I have picture posting privileges yet, so please let me know if this shows up!

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w450/rachl809/BadhaircutApril2009blurred.jpg

I still have long side bangs, and had them for my wedding this past November. But that 2009 haircut scarred me!

ladylowtide
June 2nd, 2014, 01:19 AM
I got some really cute bangs the other day. Went to a hair dresser for the first time in 3+ years. Asked to get bangs without any face framing layers so I wouldn't need 1000 bobby pins to put back my hip length hair. She went slowly and asked for my input every step of the way. I am so happy with the results, I feel a lot less frumpy. The best part is that they look cute with a bun or ponytail not just with down hair. They are slightly curved and skim the top of my eyebrows. I couldn't believe it was only $5. Which is great because I could leave a good tip. Definitely going to have her trim them in the future.

leilani
June 2nd, 2014, 03:23 AM
I got bangs three weeks ago after about two years without, although I almost instantly started growing them out last time. The time before that (5 years ago) I also didn't keep them long. I wonder why I keep going through getting them and then growing them immediately? Luckily they grow fast.
However, this time I'm liking them! I think I like them better with a part in the middle, so they are more like curtain bangs. They are thicker now than in the past decade I've snipped them myself, but I like them a lot when my hair is in a high bun. My reasoning behind getting them was postpartum hairloss around the hairline, and the one inch long regrowth tufts that look like arse. I wanted to hide. I also feel like I have more of a 'do' when I do a nice fat bun on the top of my head with my waistlength iii hair, rather than just my crappy tuft-y hairline showing. I do have a roundish oval face with a relatively short forehead, though, so that's why I think curtain bangs are better so my face doesn't look too wide.

jacqueline101
June 2nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
I've went from pixie bangs to triangle hair line bangs. I love my bangs. Through out the years I've had several bang styles. I switch up when I feel like I need a change.

Joliebaby
June 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! I tried searching for one and didn't find it.
I just cut bangs on my mid-back length hair a few days ago. I'd grown them out to about collarbone length. I still always used two mini ficcares to clip them to the sides with a middle part. If I just put them behind my ears they wouldn't stay and I kept touching and pushing them and they got greasy too fast! I couldn't let them hang in my face either, ugh.

In a whim late one night I just grabbed scissors and cut them. I cut more than last time.. I wanted thick bangs. But I forgot that my hair is already so thick and I didn't need to cut so much. I cut a triangle shape but I started too wide, and made the tip go too far on top of my head. I cut it it rounded, in an inverted U. It looked dorky. The bangs waved in a poofy way at the sides. In a panic I cut it straight across. It was mildly better... but not much. Ick. Like... triangle bangs, LOL!

I then spent a few hours searching pinterest for hairstyles with bangs. Yeah I know, should have done that FIRST. :D
I ended up taking my trusty mini ficcares and clipping a small section of the bangs on both sides, ha ha. I think they will make cute face framing layers in addition to the bangs. At least I won't get bored as I have some tweaking to do with the bangs. And I now like the way they look. They are pretty long, to the top of my brows depending on how much they wave, and I think I could do even longer ones, to below the brows. They are blunt and still thick even though I sectioned of a part of them to grow out immediately.

Previously I have enjoyed also really short side swept baby-bangs but now I felt like long and blunt.

I just wish I started off cutting less first. One can always cut more later but not add back in. Sigh.

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I have bangs. I've always had them, since I was old enough to care for my hair myself.
I have a super high forehead and I look like an alien (to me) without something covering my forehead. Right now, they are straight across at eyebrow length.

How do you get them to stay in place, and not drive you crazy?

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I have strait across bangs/fringe and have had them the same for about 14 years. When I was little the bangs/fringe were cut by my mother and started halfway back on my head, like above my ear, and they looked so bad. I then grew them out but long hair with no bangs/fringe does not suit me well. I decided I wanted bangs/fringe again and my mother offered to cut them....No Way!!!! We finally agreed that I would seperate my hair out and she would cut. I have just trimmed them myself ever since. Since I divided out the hair to be cut I think they are just what I want, maybe you can try yourself Alix. I also find that having partly see through bangs look best for me.

How do you keep them in place?

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I've had bangs literally all of my life, with the exception of 2 years after I joined LHC and grew them out. While I liked the no-bangs look, my hair is so straight that even after my bangs were grown out, they still fell into my face. I cut my bangs back in 2 years ago, and I realized immediately just how much I love them.

It was fun to grow them out, but I don't imagine ever doing that again. I go with the straight-across brow length bangs. I trim about every other week to keep them at brow length.

Photo on my profile page.

Franny,

I just cut bangs after getting rid of them 12 years ago, and saying "Never Again!". How do you get them to stay in place. Mine are constantly messed up, clinging together, and blowing around. I look better with them, but they drive me crazy!!!

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Oooh, baby bangs! I love them and have had them myself numerous times. :D If I grow them any longer they tend to clump together more. I have pics of them in my album.

Like someone else posted (sorry I can't remember her name) I, too have a huge, alien forehead that looks better covered. I just got my bangs trimmed to about 1/2 inch over my eyebrows. :eyebrows:

Interesting. I have always had problems with my bangs clumping together. I wondered how much length had to do with that.

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 12:32 PM

What do you mean by "triangle shaped"?

UP Lisa
June 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I didn't realize this thread was so old, but it's still helpful.

Kina
June 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I didn't realize this thread was so old, but it's still helpful.

I'm currently growing mine out (and I miss them! :wail:). I wore them just above my eyebrows, but not straight across, more a curved shape which I achieved by pulling the hair forward held between 2 fingers and cutting into them vertically, deliberately not cutting horizontally to avoid straight across. I would blow dry them with a round brush and use a touch of hairspray. Since i cut them regularly, there was no damage.

Now that I'm growing them out, I clip them up while wet to encourage them to go to the side and so I don't have to spend the day flipping my head and looking like I'm afflicted by a terrible tick.

UP Lisa
June 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I'm currently growing mine out (and I miss them! :wail:). I wore them just above my eyebrows, but not straight across, more a curved shape which I achieved by pulling the hair forward held between 2 fingers and cutting into them vertically, deliberately not cutting horizontally to avoid straight across. I would blow dry them with a round brush and use a touch of hairspray. Since i cut them regularly, there was no damage.

Now that I'm growing them out, I clip them up while wet to encourage them to go to the side and so I don't have to spend the day flipping my head and looking like I'm afflicted by a terrible tick.

Well, today mine want to part in the middle. It is the way my hair always parts naturally, it seems. Of course for many years now I've worn it back every day.

LizzyGrant
January 7th, 2018, 09:42 AM
This is an old thread but whatever.. Why make a new one when this thread exist already :confused:
I got my bangs cut back just before christmas and I love them! I've had them before but I always grew them out pretty fast, but this time I like them so much.. They are very fine, see through bangs that are very low maintenance at least with my hair type. I've had blunt, thick bangs before but I really prefer these wispy bangs. I believe they are quite popular in Korea at the moment. I was a bit bored with my hair before, wearing it up all the time etc, but now I feel so happy about it because I have my bangs framing my face.
Is there anyone else who just got bangs or just is feeling very good about them?

Dark40
January 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I also have bangs. I've always had them ever since I was 6 years old, and my mom was taking care of my hair. I've always loved how they look on me, and others.

Beeboo123
January 8th, 2018, 11:57 PM
I have cut my own fringe since I was 12. I have flirted with growing them out, but have never found out just HOW people get them to stay out of their faces

Dark40
January 9th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I have also flirted with growing out my bangs at one time too but I always want to cut them again. If mine grow way over my eye or in my face I just wear them to the side with a part on the side instead of a fringe in the front.

ponine
January 10th, 2018, 11:22 AM
I also have bangs! I didn't have them for a while but I couldn't figure how to keep the hair out of my face. I felt like I looked a little unkempt because hair was on face all the time. It also became very dirty very fast since I had to constantly move it away with my hands.

If you google "wispy bangs" you get the style I have and I love them! I feel like I look so much more put together than before and they get dirty at the same pace as the rest of my hair. I went to a hairdresser to cut them just in case but now I trim them myself.

Handel'sWig
June 16th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Reviving a truly ancient thread with a kind of weird question. I just got curtain bangs and I wanted to ask other people with bangs- do you oil/treat/deep condition them along with the rest of your hair? Do you use the same products on them as on your long hair? It seems like being short they wouldn’t need as much extra care so should I just leave them alone except for washing and conditioning them?

Bat
June 16th, 2021, 03:40 PM
I have straight across bangs, I just use the same products though I’m only SL so not that long

spirals
June 16th, 2021, 10:46 PM
I just cut them and I am annoyed because I forgot that they don't curl and they don't go straight. They wave and I look kind of like Conan O'Brien. They'd be OK if they were longer than the middle of my nose bridge. They need to be at the tip of my nose or longer. I do like the sliced side layers the stylist did. She ran the razor from about my chin down the perimeter to about waist. I think once my bangs grow out to my lip or chin, I'll have her do it again to re-shape.

AmaryllisRed
June 17th, 2021, 06:31 AM
I just cut them and I am annoyed because I forgot that they don't curl and they don't go straight. They wave and I look kind of like Conan O'Brien. They'd be OK if they were longer than the middle of my nose bridge. They need to be at the tip of my nose or longer. I do like the sliced side layers the stylist did. She ran the razor from about my chin down the perimeter to about waist. I think once my bangs grow out to my lip or chin, I'll have her do it again to re-shape.

Ha! I ALWAYS say I look like Conan! Stupid wavy bangs give me that goofy swoop he always had in front. Generally if I pin them down the first day after washing, that straightens them enough that I can wear them as normal bangs the next couple of days.

spirals
June 17th, 2021, 08:39 AM
that straightens them enough that I can wear them as normal bangs the next couple of days. This works for me for a day or two. I wash once a week so I need to remember to restyle in the middle of the week. I found that if I comb them the opposite way I normally do and let them dry like that, I can comb them back over the normal way they wave better. So there's another option.

AmaryllisRed
June 17th, 2021, 09:12 AM
This works for me for a day or two. I wash once a week so I need to remember to restyle in the middle of the week. I found that if I comb them the opposite way I normally do and let them dry like that, I can comb them back over the normal way they wave better. So there's another option.

Oh, that's a good suggestion! I'll try that next time I wash.

spirals
June 17th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Haha, just tried to like your post, as if this were Twitter.

Bright
June 17th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Reviving a truly ancient thread with a kind of weird question. I just got curtain bangs and I wanted to ask other people with bangs- do you oil/treat/deep condition them along with the rest of your hair? Do you use the same products on them as on your long hair? It seems like being short they wouldn’t need as much extra care so should I just leave them alone except for washing and conditioning them?

I have straight-across bangs and I don't oil or condition them at all, I just shampoo them with my roots then leave them alone. If I added anything to my bangs they'd look dirtier than the rest of my hair by day two. If I'm stretching washes I might even put the rest of my hair back and shampoo only my bangs, still no conditioner. (I have ~CBL hair and I condition from the ends to just below my ears.)

UP Lisa
June 17th, 2021, 11:40 AM
I have short straight across bangs. They are basically straight since my hair has to be much longer for it to wave. Thanks to my oily scalp, I need to wash them every day. I don't use anything on them but shampoo and sometimes mousse.

rosenester
January 29th, 2022, 11:21 AM
I have been keeping bangs probably for nearly 15 years, so will continue to keep them! Wondering about how to cut them as hair gets longer, as right now I have a grown out shag that blends nicely. Would it look ok to maintain this style bang (slightly choppy with wider face framing) after I grow out the rest of the shag layers? In the past I have kept them more straight across and just above the eyebrow, which I may go back to if it would ‘match’ the rest of my hair better in the future.

These photos are out of bed not brushed :p In general, I wash them every evening and style them by brushing wet against their natural wave or blow drying on cool. I see this thread doesn’t get a lot of action, if there’s another place to discuss this let me know!

https://i.imgur.com/z7GvWvm.jpg

Brandt
January 29th, 2022, 12:43 PM
I am still learning a lot about hair--but--I did notice when measuring my hair length that hair from the front hairline (around the traditional bangs) is notably a shorter length (by about half) than hair on the sides or in the back. For those who do not cut their hair in front--do you have differences in hair length in different locations around the head? If this is the case for a lot of people, then would this perhaps be because of a shorter anagen growth phase around the front hairline versus because that hair simply grows more slowly?

Kathie
January 29th, 2022, 04:09 PM
I definitely have shorter hair around the front and nape. The hair there is about 1-3 inches and very fine.

For me, I think my finer hairs dont grow as fast as the rest, and these mostly tend to be around the front.

Its normal for hair across our head to have different growth rates. This is why hair will naturally taper if its left too grow without trims. The taper is caused by some hairs having a longer growth period. I've even heard of people having one or two "racer" hairs! These are the speedy hairs that grow a lot faster than the rest.

Brandt
January 29th, 2022, 04:32 PM
Ah--interesting, Kathie--thanks! I don't think my forehead hairs are a different texture, though I did have a small patch as a teenager to my right on my forehead that had a different texture (more frizzy, less dense), and that even affected the color as it bleached in the sun more easily (that small patch went almost white one summer).

Cyclamen
January 29th, 2022, 06:16 PM
I think it's common that perimeter hair doesn't grow as fast. On curly hair the difference in texture can be more noticeable, it's often more porous and curlier.

Cyclamen
January 29th, 2022, 06:35 PM
Rosenester, I feel like bangs with longer sides are generally more flattering when hair is up. But it's all a matter of what look you prefer.

rosenester
January 30th, 2022, 08:00 AM
Rosenester, I feel like bangs with longer sides are generally more flattering when hair is up. But it's all a matter of what look you prefer.

I think I agree, since it’s getting longer I wear it up mostly, and have been loving the face framing down to my ears that connect to the longer sides of my bangs, but will be letting those grow out at least for the next few months. I am trying to stay intentional and have a plan with how I shape them rather than just cutting until they don’t flip and poke my eyes. :wacko:

swords & roses
October 24th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Talk to me about wrangling wavy hair with bangs?

Went back to bangs after decades without them. Way back then, my hair was stick straight, but over the years, it's become fluffy & wavy. Now that I have bangs again, the tips are super flippy - like, sticking straight forward and looking REAL weird to me. I've gone forever with benign neglect, so I'm not quite sure what kind of products, tools, or techniques I should try to get these suckers looking decent. Or if a different cut would look/work better?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47827&d=1666640583

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47828&d=1666640596

I went back to bangs to hide some thinning that's showing up & showing scalp right at center front of my hairline. And while I was at it, I decided to REALLY say "screw it, I need a change," and had my high-hip length chopped, and went for bleach & dye for the first time too. So I'm kinda out of my depth entirely lol

But yeah - wavy bangs. What do?

Bat
October 24th, 2022, 04:01 PM
If you don't mind using heat you can flat iron them or use a small round brush and dryer to curve them under

Or wets rollers for a no heat option
_______

I have baby bangs now I'm umming and ahhing if I'll keep them or grow them out, I got a while to think about it.

rosenester
October 24th, 2022, 05:02 PM
swords & roses, I love your bangs and your purples! My bangs wave exactly like this, sometimes there’s nothing to do because of rain and humidity. Usually, I cut them either short or long, following the wave. Sometimes they end up too short or asymmetrical and I just rock it! So like baby bangs before the flip.

For styling, I agree with Bat, but also find minimal effort can work, like combing against the wave when wet, or blow drying on cool/sitting in front of a fan when I’m lazy to plug in the dryer :lol: Also opposite to the wave. I never use products on my bangs, I just wash them most days and direct the wave while their drying. I do this at night, and sleep on them, and they usually stay how they were dried.

Lady Stardust
October 25th, 2022, 04:38 AM
swords & roses my fringe (bangs) did exactly the same thing the other day. I combed it in every direction (all over to the left, then all over to the right, repeat!) and it straightened out a bit. I have a cowlick right at my fringe and vigorous combing for a minute or so is the best way to tame it.

In the summer I grew my fringe a bit and let it do what it wanted, which meant it parted on the side. The waves looked better with that.

Bat I think your new fringe looks good! One of the advantages is that baby bangs look edgy/alternative and it gives you something to play around with, colour or reshape, without needing to touch the length. I grew out my fringe completely for a couple of years and it gave me such an uplift when I cut it back in again. It’s a way of getting total style refresh while leaving the rest of your hair be, if that’s what you want to do. (The disadvantage is that it means you can’t just stay away from scissors so you have to decide on a trimming schedule for the rest of your hair and stick to it, otherwise I would be in danger of trimming everything every couple of weeks and that wouldn’t be good!)

Bat
October 25th, 2022, 04:04 PM
swords & roses my fringe (bangs) did exactly the same thing the other day. I combed it in every direction (all over to the left, then all over to the right, repeat!) and it straightened out a bit. I have a cowlick right at my fringe and vigorous combing for a minute or so is the best way to tame it.

In the summer I grew my fringe a bit and let it do what it wanted, which meant it parted on the side. The waves looked better with that.

Bat I think your new fringe looks good! One of the advantages is that baby bangs look edgy/alternative and it gives you something to play around with, colour or reshape, without needing to touch the length. I grew out my fringe completely for a couple of years and it gave me such an uplift when I cut it back in again. It’s a way of getting total style refresh while leaving the rest of your hair be, if that’s what you want to do. (The disadvantage is that it means you can’t just stay away from scissors so you have to decide on a trimming schedule for the rest of your hair and stick to it, otherwise I would be in danger of trimming everything every couple of weeks and that wouldn’t be good!)

I'll be growing and trimming my sides and bangs while I do no trims for the rest of my hair so I can appease my trim urges without touching the rest but we will see what I say and do are at odds with each other

WednesdayAddams
November 8th, 2022, 04:16 PM
I'm hopping on bc I have a blunt fringe, I'll try to post a pic.

Swune
November 24th, 2022, 04:02 PM
I love the look of bangs but it’s too difficult for me to keep because of how my hair grows to the side. It makes it hard to figure out how to cut so that it looks balanced, on top of having to constantly make sure they’re laying down nicely… If anyone has advice for how to have nice bangs despite this problem I would much appreciate it :’)

Glitch
November 24th, 2022, 04:13 PM
I have side bangs (but on the fuller side so it kind of does look like a straight across look). I love it! It's work, though.

vampyyri
November 25th, 2022, 04:44 AM
I've had bangs my whole life, when I was a kid my mom cut them straight across and they were super cute!

But as I got older my hair went from stick straight to wavy, so those bangs became swoopy side bangs once I was out of elementary school, and that's how they have stayed ever since. I know it's time to trim them when I lose the "swoop", and I've been trimming my own bangs for... oh god 20 years?? shudder:

So my hair has changed length over the years from chin length all the way down to FTL, but the bangs have stayed just as they are :p except the few times I thought I wanted to grow them out, got them down to my chin and cut them back in. They're a part of me at this point, I look weird without them.

Sunrise_runner
November 30th, 2022, 09:09 AM
I'm really tempted to cut some kind of face framing bangs because I like how they look on other people when they put their hair up but I can't seem to commit because my hair is curly, it would take so long to grow them out if I didn't like them.

Sunrise_runner
November 30th, 2022, 09:10 AM
I've had bangs my whole life, when I was a kid my mom cut them straight across and they were super cute!

But as I got older my hair went from stick straight to wavy, so those bangs became swoopy side bangs once I was out of elementary school, and that's how they have stayed ever since. I know it's time to trim them when I lose the "swoop", and I've been trimming my own bangs for... oh god 20 years?? shudder:

So my hair has changed length over the years from chin length all the way down to FTL, but the bangs have stayed just as they are :p except the few times I thought I wanted to grow them out, got them down to my chin and cut them back in. They're a part of me at this point, I look weird without them.

I love the way your wavy side bangs look in your picture! They look great on you!

Arcticfoxes
December 4th, 2022, 01:39 PM
I currently have a side fringe. Not sure if I'll keep it or grow it out. I suspect it might be a pain when I have longer hair as it'll get greasy quicker than the rest of my hair. I remember I used to to fringe washes only in the sink before school years ago. What to do, what to do!

Glitch
December 5th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Letting my bangs grow out a bit. Not because I don’t love them, but because the upkeep is too much lately! Especially keeping them clean compared to the rest of my hair. Adore the look, though.

curlysunbeam
December 5th, 2022, 09:06 AM
just cut mine again, it was hard but my husband said i should!!! Id only been growing them out since around may so thankfully it wasnt a huge amount of hair cut off :)

vampyyri
December 5th, 2022, 09:53 AM
I just trimmed my bangs last night, I got my "swoop" back :D they always feel super short when I trim them back, I take off around 2" every time I do it. I like growing them back out because the swoop evolves into really nice curl patterns as it grows back out. But once I lose that volume :scissors: time to trim again :p

Arcticfoxes
December 5th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Letting my bangs grow out a bit. Not because I don’t love them, but because the upkeep is too much lately! Especially keeping them clean compared to the rest of my hair. Adore the look, though.

can't argue with that. bangs upkeep is a part time job.

Noctifer
November 9th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Needs some input right about keeping the bangs or not can’t decide what fits me most and currently the upkeep is driving me crazy especially the required styling but not sure if I’m ready to dealing with growing it out.

From when I just cut them in September last year, so they might look a bit different.
https://i.imgur.com/t44e11w.jpg

Whiteout, really old picture but only I can find
https://i.imgur.com/euJUTTK.jpg

Kelp
November 9th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Noctifer, you look beautiful with both! You have a lovely face shape though, and no bangs definitely showcases it more. I recently grew out bangs until they were just below my collarbone, but ended up cutting them beneath my chin to create some face-framing layers. Maybe you could consider partially growing them to that same length for a similar effect? I think it looks great with updos, and it doesn't take very long to reach that length.

I'm not sure if you've gone through the grow-out process before, but if not, barrettes will be your best friend until you can tuck them behind the ear!

WednesdayAddams
November 9th, 2023, 07:31 PM
Needs some input right about keeping the bangs or not can’t decide what fits me most and currently the upkeep is driving me crazy especially the required styling but not sure if I’m ready to dealing with growing it out.

From when I just cut them in September last year, so they might look a bit different.
https://i.imgur.com/t44e11w.jpg

Whiteout, really old picture but only I can find
https://i.imgur.com/euJUTTK.jpg

I think you look adorable with the bangs.

If you want to grow them out, use clips or do twists in the front. BTDT probably about 50 times. ;)

WednesdayAddams
November 9th, 2023, 07:53 PM
These are my bangs. I wash and blow them dry twice a week.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v115/Melsie/IMG_3276.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v115/Melsie/IMG_3276.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds)

Noctifer
November 10th, 2023, 02:11 AM
Kelp, Funny you think that my that no bangs shows off my face shape better because one off the reasons I decided to cut bangs back in was because it feels like it disappear when wearing my hair done, but kind off looks better when it’s up without bangs.
Ohh used to have that but always forget to trim them plus sometimes they drow me crazy because they continuously got in my face which I don’t like.
Think this would be the fourth time growing them out and one thing I learnt is my hair hates any types of barrettes. No matter what I do they slide down.

I think you look adorable with the bangs.

If you want to grow them out, use clips or do twists in the front. BTDT probably about 50 times. ;)

Yeah, growing out bangs tend to end up practicing lace, Dutch and French braids a lot.
Took me way too long to figure out btdt= been there, done that.
Think I need to stop visiting LHC before morning coffee/tea

Bat
November 10th, 2023, 02:18 AM
I like no bange better I think it opens up your face more @Noctifer

Bat
November 10th, 2023, 02:21 AM
I think I looks better with bangs I have visible lines in my forehead but they have to be above eyebrow level otherwise they drive me nuts