PDA

View Full Version : 'The Updo Is Back' Guardian Article

BritishBraider
August 11th, 2010, 03:20 AM
From the [UK] Guardian Newspaper http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/10/updo-bun-chignon-hairstyle, including such wonderful quotes as:

It's for a girl who wants to look like a woman," says Hersheson

Last year's furore over Cheryl Cole advertising hair products while wearing extensions demonstrated how unrealistic our expectations of long hair had become

This is grownup hair, and grownup attitude

Buns and chignons are so much more elegant than long, tumbling hair

The comments at the bottom are just as good.

I thought the Grauniad was slightly more mature than this..... Any opinions?

Mods: (Is the linking ok?)

Merlin
August 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I'd have thought it would be 'The Ipdo is Buck'

naereid
August 11th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Most fashion articles I've read in the past months have mentioned Mad Men. I was happy about it for a while, but geeze, it's getting pretty heavy-handed. :undecided

Anyway, nice to finally have permission to wear my hair up if I want to. /sarcasm

bunnii
August 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Where did the updo go? I'm pretty sure we've been keeping it a secret here.

julliams
August 11th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Updo's are always 'round the back on me :p

wanderwoot
August 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Haha, I came on to post this article and see you've beaten me too it!

I love how the instructions include TWO different kinds of hairspray!

Phexlyn
August 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
It's for a girl who wants to look like a woman," says Hersheson
Why would a grown woman want to look like a girl that wants to look like a woman? :p

Lamb
August 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Okay, I don't care about the article, but this comment, esp. the first sentence, made me laugh out loud, which feels pretty good at 7:30 am:

I have had the same hairstyle most of my life, with the rationale that even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. I think I'm due to come back into fashion around 2014, too bad the end of civilization in 2012 will mean that we are all wearing muddy leather jerkins and have brambles and hoarded food in our hair like Amy Winehouse.
(from someone called 'alanpeart')

What is it about fashion articles that makes readers' comments so much more enjoyable than the articles themselves? :eek:

sarah061
August 11th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I loved reading the comments on this article! The article itself is pretty silly I think - I hate fashion sometimes. Seems weird to care so much about having a "this season" hairstyle :shrug:

Merlin
August 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Don't stone me, but I think you do need to cut the writer some slack here. The things is, she writes about fashion for a living, so whatever personally one's opinion of fashion, it's her job and frankly a whole lot of people enjoy reading about fashion. Journalism is a very darwinian activity, only stuff which people want to read survives - the rest dies (or is relegated to minority publications of the kind you find tucked behind the other stuff on the bottom shelf in Smiths). It's all very well and good being snide about fashion journalism, but if it wasn't popular with the readers then it wouldn't get in the papers or magazines.

jennydaesy
August 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I agree.. updo is at back

jennydaesy
August 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
i mean updo is back =))

Night_Kitten
August 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
While reading the article, I thought finally some sanity - fashion no longer requires of women to ruin their hair to "look good", but then I reached the instructions at the end of the article...
Sad that even something as simple as a cinnabun must be turned by fashion into such a disaster for hair... :(

cmnt831
August 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Wait...what...updos have previous to this article been considered "granny hair"?! And here I thought I was just being stigmatized for letting my hair go gray. Now I know better. :p At least (according to fashion writers) I can enjoy an apparently much coveted (if brief and accidental) stint in being fashionable, since it seems that now gray hair and updos are "in" - at least until next month.... :D

Sorry for all the sarcasm, I've not had my coffee yet this morning. ;)

lillylonghair
August 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM
While reading the article, I thought finally some sanity - fashion no longer requires of women to ruin their hair to "look good", but then I reached the instructions at the end of the article...
Sad that even something as simple as a cinnabun must be turned by fashion into such a disaster for hair... :(

I also had the same thought. So sad how some people(especially young girls) take things like this as gospel truth. I have always and will always be me.

pepperminttea
August 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
RedMutley's comment summed up my thoughts:

Quick everyone! Let's ape what the rich and famous are doing this month. That way we can show off our individuality and intelligent sophistication.

:laugh:

Merewen
August 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Figures. I spend years in my youth wishing I was more in style, finally decide I'm happy with my own style, and then fashion jumps out and says "WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS TOTALLY IN!"

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM
"Girlish, loose hair is being edged out of the spotlight in favour of a new look: the grownup, serious updo."

Uuuuu... See? If you wear your hair down, you are a child. And when you have a chignon- you are an adult.
Yeah. :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

Updo is back?! Really? Have they seen our "wear hair up challenge" thread?

akka naeda
August 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Figures. I spend years in my youth wishing I was more in style, finally decide I'm happy with my own style, and then fashion jumps out and says "WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS TOTALLY IN!"

It's not you it's me:D
I am (and always have been) quite happy looking like ME! But within 2 years suddenly everyone else is doing exactly the same thing. This used to really annoy me when I was younger, I kind of thought it would stop now because grey hair and updos isn't the kind of thing fashion likes.

It's the Guardian. It's August, news is slack. What do you expect? Being the Guardian (and not something like Vogue) no-one will take any notice. I don't read fashion mags, I know Vogue had something about grey hair recently, but have they also said updos are in? If not, don't expect to see them everywhere. I saw a similar thing about chignons being the new style 6 months or so ago in a different UK paper, but didn't post it on here (from memory I'd say it was identical, including the backcombing and spray). And I haven't seen a single person with their hair done that way.

anna francesca
August 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM
To be honest I feel a bit protective of the cinnamon bun, its like some fashion person or the other took a brief look at this website and clicked on the first thing he saw and decided to spice it up with some spray and whatnot.

I totally love Peppermintteas' comment :D

Merlin
August 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Being the Guardian (and not something like Vogue) no-one will take any notice..

But at least these days people will be able to understand it - modern print technology has robbed the Grauniad of something uniquely it's own: lack of effective proof reading. Most famous for its review of the opera Doris Godonov (http://yorkshire-ranter.blogspot.com/2004/10/grauniad-bad-day.html)

Still the paper I buy from choice though.

akka naeda
August 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
But at least these days people will be able to understand it - modern print technology has robbed the Grauniad of something uniquely it's own: lack of effective proof reading. Most famous for its review of the opera Doris Godonov (http://yorkshire-ranter.blogspot.com/2004/10/grauniad-bad-day.html)

Still the paper I buy from choice though.

:D
but it wouldn't be you paper of choice if you were wanting genuine fashion tips I expect?

OT now - I tried to explain to my Guardian-reading A-level German teacher why I didn't like it and prefered the Torygraph. He absolutely refused to accept my reason for it which was genuinely a purely visual one - the font type and size used by the Guardian wasn't as easy for me to read as that of the Telegraph, which in itself wasn't as easy to read as things like the Express etc.

I don't find that the case now so either one or other of them must have changed or I have better glasses:). I tend to get my information from the internet now anyway because it's generally free (apart from the Times), there's far more choice plus I can alter font sizes on my monitor for easier reading and so I can make a balanced assessment as to what I think is the "truth".