PDA

View Full Version : Help! Extreme heat and long hair

Darkhorse1
August 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Not sure how many of you are in North America, but I am melting in my neck of the woods.

We've had temps at 85F, but feels like 116F with our high humidex.

Now, my hair is almost past tailbone and it's thick and it's killing me in this humidity when I ride. I have started to soak it before I put my helmet on, but I have trouble fitting it into my vented helmet. Also, I'm finding I'm less tolerant with it sticking to the back of my neck when I take my helmet off.

I'm using Head and Shoulders which is really helping with dandruff/itching, but I'm trying to figure out a way to stay cool while I ride.

For cyclists, other riders and those who are active with helmets/long hair and humidity--any suggestions?

JesusFreak88
August 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I deal with the sweating. I play Ultimate Frisbee and I'm literally dripping sweat but I keep playing. Of course by the time the game is over my hair is damp.

cindy58
August 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I washed my hair last night and wore it down today. Even in our supposedly air conditioned office I felt like I was wearing a heavy hair cape across my back. Before long it was back up in a bun.

blctsyllwdg
August 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Braids help control your hair. Soak your hair in cold water, then braid. Otherwise, avoid the mid day when it's the hottest.

Indigo Girl
August 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I feel your pain about the melting, Darkhorse! The east coast is absolutely roasting.

I'm pretty active/outdoorsy, and I always keep my hair in an oiled braid. Oiling it first helps keep the shorter hairs from coming out of the braid and sticking to the back of my neck. When I'm done with my activity, I put the braid up (braid bun) and secure with a Ficcare until I cool off.

RachelRain
August 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I used to cycle til we bought a new bike that's a tad too tall for me (I fall off when I stop, literally. it's funny, but aggravating) but I used to do two braids - it keeps it off the back of your neck but they're small enough to move while you're cycling, which also helps cool you down some. You could also maybe try the sectioned ponys with four or five elastics? although I'm not sure how well that would work.

eta - cold water soaks would help immensely, I imagine :) got a garden hose? there's nothing colder than the water that comes out of those, lol.

Centaur
August 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
You aren't going to like my solution. I live in the deep south. It is already in the 90s in the morning. My friend and I just aren't riding horses at all the past few weeks. We probably won't ride again until September. It is just that miserably hot right now...for us AND the horses.

tanya222
August 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah I'm feelin' this humidity with ya :p

I'd still like to be in your shoes though, er, boots :)

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Where I live, the temp has been in the 100-115 degree range with no humidity (being a desert and all that...). It's tough keeping it moisturized. I'd give anything for a little moisture in the air.

julliams
August 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM
This won't help the top of your head but for your length a fellow LHC'er mentioned this product which may help www.wrapter.com

Can you bring a spray bottle along and mist as you need?

SgtMomArmy
August 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I joined and lurked for this reason. After my first tour in Iraq, my hair had to be cut from past bsl to shoulder because of damage. I didn't want to lose my hair again after the second. :) I wore my hair in a heavily oiled bun (coconut). Nothing like hot oil treatments. Soldiers have neck wraps that you wet and tie around your neck. They. Are filled with something similar to what is in diapers. They are reusable and help to keep you cool. I am sure that you could find a civilian version.

young&reckless
August 11th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Try a buff!

They are a fabric tube that you can wear a million ways. Soak you hair and use this to keep it from sticking to your neck. And they breath really well so no extra sweating.

Darkhorse1
August 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you SO much!!

for the army person--yes! I have seen those--I will see if I can find them.
I do have a buff and that might be a good solution to the the hairs that come out of the twist.

Sadly, the problem I'm finding is that when my hair is soaked (we have indoor wash stalls, so cold water on hair is just easy as pie!), it swells and it takes out a lot of room in my helmet. So, banded styles, even braiding becomes trickier. I can't alter the fit of the helmet for safety reasons.

For the rider who said they aren't riding, sadly, when you are competitive, you have to work in this heat--the horses are actually fine--thankgod for fly spray ;) It's just I have never handled the heat(humidity) well and my hair is 5 inches longer than before and I am noticing a difference to the heat.

I'll play around with different styles and fiddle with my vented helmet and pray I can find a style, or that we have an early frost..like, say, next week? ;)

Thanks again--I thought about 2 braids, but the tails would knock me in the face when jumping ;)

JesusFreak88
August 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I doubt next week is happening.

sweetestday
August 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Could you make two braids, then tie them together at the ends?

maxzeen
August 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Florida has been horrible this past two weeks. It feels like a sauna outside. I just usually keep my hair up and off my neck and I will usually spritz with a spray bottle filled with water to try and cool down if I am doing something strenuous (spell check?) outside.

Darkhorse1
August 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I could try to tie the ends of 2 braids together, but for safety reasons, it may not be an ideal style. With my vented helmet, I can put all my length into the helmet, but when it's wet, it gets thicker due to the water absorbtion, so this is problem #1.

JF--I think next week is happening---unless you meant there won't be as much humidity next week? I hope not--i have 2 lessons next week :D

Tabihito
August 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
My hair's never been quite as long as yours, but I do a lot of climbing and riding, so helmets have sort of been a constant thing in my life. No jumping though (mostly barrel racing and roping), so I'm not sure what might be an issue with that particular activity and what isn't. When my hair was a bit longer, I found that a very low braided bun was the most practical style, keeping it out of my helmet and my face.

Assuming that anything which could possibly thwack you in the face would be a bad thing, it's sort of dependent on the fit of your helmet. Does all of your hair fit "up" in it, or do you have to wear it all out? If it all fits up, I'd say find a way so that it stays up when you take your helmet off. Two french braids wrapped around can be pretty small, but your hair is on the thick side so I'm not sure if that would work.

RachelRain
August 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Could you make two braids, then tie them together at the ends?

I second (or third?) this idea. when I do two braids, if I need them to stay out of my way (like when I'm cleaning the bathroom or if I'm at the horse farm or something) then I'll rope braid the two braids behind me, starting a little bit below the nape of my neck. that way the hair still isn't covering my neck, but it's kept pretty much out of my way (and it does eat up some extra length, which is a plus!)

Centaur
August 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
For the rider who said they aren't riding, sadly, when you are competitive, you have to work in this heat--the horses are actually fine--thankgod for fly spray ;) It's just I have never handled the heat(humidity) well and my hair is 5 inches longer than before and I am noticing a difference to the heat.

Oh, I used to compete - hunter with the helmets and jackets and tall boots and gloves and all - and it was HOT! I remember one show I went to - it was so hot that day that the judges actually allowed us to compete during the mid-day events without a riding jacket. They don't waive the requirements very often, so you KNOW it was freakish hot. lol. But, I was a lot younger then, so maybe I was more tolerant of the heat? We ARE talkin' south Louisiana where I live. lol

Juanita
August 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
When you do the two braids join then together into one braid about BSL length.Also one of those neck wrap things (cant think of the name) that you wet then put round your neck. I live in a hot tropical climate but it's our cool time now. When really hot /humid we used to do our horse stuff early or late in the day. I dont ride anymore.

Slug Yoga
August 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Does all of your hair fit "up" in it, or do you have to wear it all out? If it all fits up, I'd say find a way so that it stays up when you take your helmet off. Two french braids wrapped around can be pretty small, but your hair is on the thick side so I'm not sure if that would work.

Yeah, I was wondering this too... if there's enough room in your helmet, maybe heidi braids would work? (2 braided pigtails wrapped around your head.) Especially if you crossed them first at the bottom...I bet this, and doing them as french braids, would make the hair pretty compact. Still not sure if that's enough to fit in your helmet.

Also, how do people put their hair up in wig caps? I seem to recall a thread where a member wore wigs for costuming purposes, and she had a way of pinning her hair in multiple twists or something, so that the hair was distributed pretty evenly over the head and went well under the wig cap. Maybe something like that would work?