PDA

View Full Version : I cut 2 inches!

Haldir
May 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
So after waiting and debating about it for a good few months I finally cut 2 inches off of my hair... my ends were really uneven and dryer than hay because I dyed it so many times before.
Yay! I hope it grows quicker now :)

Gumball
May 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I hope you're happy with how it turned out. I had an inch trimmed off not too long ago and even though I still have damaged ends that get tangly and such there's a marked different. I'm sure your hair is content. :)

Haldir
May 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm not too happy with it actually... my hair doesn't look very long anymore, but it's way neater :)
Does trimmed hair really grow quicker?

EdG
May 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
2 inches is more of a trim than a cut. It will be back in 4 months.

Hair growth rate is not affected by trims. :)
Ed

OR Cowgirl
May 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Good for you! Newly trimmed ends do feel marvelous! By the way, I really like your herringbone braid. Looks wonderful!

Mariah

Gumball
May 18th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Trimmed hair won't grow quicker since it grows from the roots out, but it lessens the likelihood your ends will break off due to damage or serious wear and tear. Luckily two inches won't take overly long to grow back especially with a little benign neglect. It took me a while to get to the trimming point, too. When you factor in the notion that healthier ends break off less I'd say it'll pay off in the long run.

Riot Crrl
May 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It does not grow quicker. The follicles do not "know" that the hair was cut. However it can seem to grow quicker, since trimmed ends can sometimes have less breakage and taper than untrimmed ends. And if the ends were uneven sometimes brushing could cause more tangling and breakage than you'd get from trimmed ends. The ends can be thicker making it seem like faster growth, but the growth is not made faster by trimming.

Haldir
May 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thank you Mariah! :)

Yeah I guess that sounds like a good thing to do for my hair... I can't wait 'til it grows back and more! :D

jojo
May 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
i cut back to 22" in feb due to tatty ends, my hair had staled but im back at 24" so i think it can kick start hair growth, you might be interested to look up spidermoms posts, she cut quite a bit off (3" i think) around the same time, her hair was back to where she cut it a month or so later.

Haldir
May 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
^Woah that's definitely good to know! Hopefully mine will grow back that quickly!
It shouldn't take more than a few months to grow back to its original place I hope. :)

spidermom
May 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Don't believe all you hear; nobody knows whether or not the root of hair knows if the end has been cut. It might. There would be a difference in weight, for one thing. Anyway, I predict that your hair will gain its length back a lot faster than you would think, sooner than 4 months more than likely.

Islandgrrl
May 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Good for you for getting the bad ends off. As your hair grows out it will look even better once you've regained the length!

Haldir
May 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks spidermom! You do have a point... I never thought about that. :)
And thanks Islandgrrl... I've actually never tried a trim before... whenever scissors went near my hair in the past, it was for the sole purpose of cutting at least half of it off. I can't wait to see my new results! :)

FrannyG
May 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Haldir, 2 inches of trim does not equal short hair. ;) To have happy ends is to enjoy every inch of new growth all the more. I don't know about you, but I never was able to celebrate new growth when I had mangled ends. You'll have those two inches back in the blink of an eye, believe me and you'll love your length much more than ever.

TheSpottedCow
May 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Even if it doesn't cause growth from the root (I don't believe that it does) if you have dry ends that split up the shaft or break it can make it look like you have no growth because the damaged ends break faster than they grow.

So technically in a roundabout way it can cause hair to grow... or at least help increase length.

DavidN
May 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Congratulations, Haldir, on your trim, and from what I hear, your hair should grow back to its former length in no time.

I admit to having some serious thoughts about a trim myself, since my ends are not in the best of shape, and I would like to have thicker ends as well. I have a dreadful fear of salons, and the two options I have been considering are the Feye's technique, or finding someone I know and trust who could do a trim for me.

Haldir
May 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah the end of my braid looks way prettier now, which I'm very happy about!

I know how you feel David... I hate salons and I haven't been to one for almost two years; a 2-inch trim to them equals a foot trim. So my sister was the one that trimmed my hair.