PDA

View Full Version : Jocelyn Lee---BEAUTIFUL long hair photographer!

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM
A few months ago, I read about the photographer Jocelyn Lee in the New Yorker magazine. I just wanted to share this discovery with TLHC. She has photographs of knee-length hair, older women with long hair, and just plain GORGEOUS long hair.

There is some R-rated nudity in some of her photos (might not be work-safe) so I'll just direct you on where to go.

You can look up pacemacgill.com/jocelynlee.html where she recently had an exhibit. You can also look up her personal website--jocelynlee.com.

My favorites are "woman with long hair at Kettle Cove," "Judith #3," "Jena looking in mirror," "the whisper," "Sasha," and "Long haired girl in water."

Enjoy, and I do hope that the nudity doesn't offend.

Beatnik Guy
August 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Great photos (and I agree about the hair shots). Thanks. :)

Carolyn
August 10th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Beautiful pictures. What a sensitive photographer! I enjoyed looking at the pictures.

lillylonghair
August 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Some of these pictures are really heartbreaking. I like her work though.

LittleOrca
August 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I love how she uses real people and not just models. Not that models or thin people aren't real, but there is a wide range of people here and it shows the many faces of beauty and places them all on an artistic pedestal and not just the ones who could work for a fashion magazine. :thumbsup:

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Oh good!!! I'm relieved that it passes the moderator standard of approval. I tried to follow LHC instructions for posting such material.

I especially liked how she included older women with long hair, especially Judith #3. That photo should be used to show that you DON'T have to cut your hair when you reach 40.;)

I printed out a few of the pics on photo paper and have them on my bathroom mirror.

Carolyn
August 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well no one who posted is a current mod. I hope it's OK since you didn't post an exact link and you warned of the mild nudity. The pictures are so beautiful, I hope a lot get to enjoy them.

spidermom
August 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Not much into smiles, is she?

halo_tightens
August 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hrm, I don't know that I can ever refer to a TOTALLY naked person as "light" nudity...

Some of those pictures astounded me, though, in that they'd ever been taken. I had no idea that there existed any photographers in the world who'd be interested in shooting pictures that show what people actually look like! That's nearly inconceivable to me, thanks to living in this warped world.

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Oh, to view the long hair photos on Jocelyn Lee's personal site, you click on "portraits."

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Beautiful photos, thanks for the link. :)

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hrm, I don't know that I can ever refer to a TOTALLY naked person as "light" nudity...

Yeah, I missed a couple of those photos before I posted that particular adjective. Apologies.

Some of those pictures astounded me, though, in that they'd ever been taken. I had no idea that there existed any photographers in the world who'd be interested in shooting pictures that show what people actually look like! That's nearly inconceivable to me, thanks to living in this warped world.

You should check out Greg Friedler's work. He just published a book based on that specific concept (sotto voce: and I happen to be in it). If you have Showtime, you might have seen the documentary. It's called Stripped: Greg Friedler's Naked Las Vegas (in which I was also proud to have a primary role). His whole artistic concept is to show what we look like under our facades.

This is a quote from the site: Through Palmer’s lens, which at times becomes so humanizing that even clothed, the film’s characters feel more naked than ever; we are privileged to see what happens when everyday human beings stripped of clothing, comforts and society’s judgments discover an even playing field of beauty, humanity and ultimately self love. From a homeless man who strips himself of his past regrets to find employment, a home of his own, and along with it his dignity; to a hermaphrodite couple exposing the truth that beauty and love can be shared beyond social stigmas; to an Elvis impersonator nakedly confronting his own lack of trust in society and finding faith in others by keeping his own commitments, STRIPPED prevails by sharing an honest, true story of ultimate triumph over what may seem like insurmountable social and personal odds. In a society overwrought with an obsession for money, fame and beauty, this collective of unique and sometimes bizarre individuals, living in one of the world’s most infamous cities, shows all of us it is possible to grow from crisis, to find the betterment of humanity through vulnerability, and ultimately be uplifted and inspired by the triumphs of coming to terms with who we all really are.

Dekublatt
August 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
This pictures are stunning. Jocelyn Lee is a very sensitive photograper. It's really inspiring, thank you for sharing the link :)

AgnesONutter
August 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I do like the fact that she uses real people, of all ages, races and genders and so on but that is really the only good thing in her pictures and really not that unique at all. A lot of people do. They always have. In my opinion...most of her portraits are just run on the mill and really, I would never hire her. Anyone with a willing model and a digital camera could have taken them and most of them would have done a better job.

What really annoys me is the way she cuts the pictures. The last piece of an elbow missing in a picture like 'Jocelyn and Clara', the whole bum of 'Pearl' could have been in the picture easily, without changing anything about the image save making it whole. This alone speaks of a photographer who do not master the camera, the angle or the motive she is trying to capture.

I can see she has the ideas, I can. I can understand what she is trying to do but she fails to do it over and over again. Yes, a few long hairs do appear in the pictures, but really...'Long Haired Girl in Water' just might win the prize this year for the most pointless picture. I do understand the water was probably a beautiful silver mirror, the girl being reflected in it. At the same time, anyone who knows anything about photography would have known the silver light would not be captured and the whole picture just become another shot of a bad vacation.

Quixii
August 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I like the variety of models, but.. is it just me, or does everyone look sad? While I don't think the photos are as bad as AgnesONutter seems to think they are, I feel like they look pointlessly sad, and kind of weirdly posed.
I like "long hair at Kettle Cove." Pretty hair.

adiapalic
August 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you, 1953Diygal, very lovely work there. I always love a good suggestion to some good art. :) :flower:

ETA:
...Anyone with a willing model and a digital camera could have taken them and most of them would have done a better job...

I really have to disagree here... mainly because it bothers me when someone uses this statement concerning a photograph--or any art for that matter.

While her work is clearly not avant-garde, I don't see that she's actually trying to be. As a rule, to me, not all artists need to have an entirely unique concept in their work in order to be validated as a "good artist." What she does have is a style unique to her. In other words, she's established what her photos are like enough that, in a group of photos, I could pick hers out. Solemnity, simple--albeit oftentimes plain--compositions, a very clear attention to detail in variety of body shape, race, age, gender. Just generally interested in the exploration of diversity in--not just the human body--but the people. She's thoughtful of the background and the placement of the people--colors, textures, contrast, negative space, forms. There is some obvious care in how the subjects are framed--which is beyond point and shoot hobby photographers.
She photographs people better than anything else in her portfolio. In a world of being constantly exposed to advertisement photography, the most refreshing thing about this imagery is that the people are stripped of mostly anything that would indicate their socioeconomic status. There is nothing being sold about these people. The people themselves are beautifully imperfect.

The point is, she IS taking photographs--now whether or not just *anyone* can do it... well. She is doing it. Her work is being shared here, right now... and that's the point. She took lots and lots of photos, picked out the ones she liked, and showed them to the world. I'd say that's an accomplished artist.

I personally find her subject matter inspiring, which of course is a subjective opinion.

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you, 1953Diygal, very lovely work there. I always love a good suggestion to some good art. :) :flower:

You're welcome. I've been meaning to post that info for a while now.

I see what people mean about the solemn expressions. To me, though, I think it adds to the moodiness of the photos. I was particularly touched by the photos of her father dying. The photos of the pregnant women were lovely as well. Her photos remind me of Victorian images.

masa_inn
August 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I like the variety of models, but.. is it just me, or does everyone look sad? While I don't think the photos are as bad as AgnesONutter seems to think they are, I feel like they look pointlessly sad, and kind of weirdly posed.

Agree.
Also, the kids' pictures are...eery.

Juneii
August 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I find her work oddly beautiful.

Her photography does seem to look unskilled but to me there is this kind of calm feeling about the pictures. Like you're peeking into someone else's world without them fully knowing. I think it is nice :)

HikerTrash
August 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I found many of the pictures disturbing. Untitled (Fiona and Michael) 2004 I'm sure is meant to disturb and I find that to be a good thing.

I really liked the boy hunters in the fuzzy brown grass. Another thought-provoking image.

lsnyder09
August 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I think my favorite was "Pearl". She is the essence of innocence and beauty in her youth! I love the tongue sticking out! I have to say that the artistry in which she took these pictures is so refreshing! I love it. Thanks for sharing :)

blctsyllwdg
August 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
So lovely, thanks!

Wanderer09
August 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Some of the subjects (especially the children) look almost ghostly...

Amethyste
August 10th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Seeing the pictures of her dad, and the progression of his cancer, really touched me.

I started crying.... I really miss my own dad too...:(

Yozhik
August 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I really enjoyed these photos. Actually, they reminded me a lot of Sally Mann's portraits of her family (specifically, her young children) here in Virginia, which were taken roughly in the same time period (early 90s). :)

I also especially enjoyed the portraits, but a couple of the landscapes also really struck me; specifically, the pinhole of an apple orchard.

One pet peeve -- young girls holding dead animals (the two with the beaver) -- I saw a whole exhibit once with young girls holding dead crows, rats, squirrels, you name it. I find those extremely jarring and not in a good way.

Thanks for sharing!

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm so glad I posted this. :D I love how it's gotten all sorts of different emotional responses. Good art should do this, yeah?

adiapalic
August 10th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I really enjoyed these photos. Actually, they reminded me a lot of Sally Mann's portraits of her family (specifically, her young children) here in Virginia, which were taken roughly in the same time period (early 90s). :)

I also especially enjoyed the portraits, but a couple of the landscapes also really struck me; specifically, the pinhole of an apple orchard.

One pet peeve -- young girls holding dead animals (the two with the beaver) -- I saw a whole exhibit once with young girls holding dead crows, rats, squirrels, you name it. I find those extremely jarring and not in a good way.

Thanks for sharing!

I had Sally Mann in mind as well when viewing these photos! I really enjoy her work--lots of controversy surrounding them, though.

Yozhik
August 10th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I had Sally Mann in mind as well when viewing these photos! I really enjoy her work--lots of controversy surrounding them, though.

Yay! I really like Mann, too :)
She apparently lives somewhere close to where I grew up, though, and they banned her books from the local libraries so that children (and her children, I guess) could not see them :shrug:

Also, fun fact -- my mom went to boarding school with her! (but she was a couple of grades older than my mom) :D

AgnesONutter
August 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM

ETA:

I really have to disagree here... mainly because it bothers me when someone uses this statement concerning a photograph--or any art for that matter.

While her work is clearly not avant-garde, I don't see that she's actually trying to be. As a rule, to me, not all artists need to have an entirely unique concept in their work in order to be validated as a "good artist." What she does have is a style unique to her. In other words, she's established what her photos are like enough that, in a group of photos, I could pick hers out. Solemnity, simple--albeit oftentimes plain--compositions, a very clear attention to detail in variety of body shape, race, age, gender. Just generally interested in the exploration of diversity in--not just the human body--but the people. She's thoughtful of the background and the placement of the people--colors, textures, contrast, negative space, forms. There is some obvious care in how the subjects are framed--which is beyond point and shoot hobby photographers.
She photographs people better than anything else in her portfolio. In a world of being constantly exposed to advertisement photography, the most refreshing thing about this imagery is that the people are stripped of mostly anything that would indicate their socioeconomic status. There is nothing being sold about these people. The people themselves are beautifully imperfect.

The point is, she IS taking photographs--now whether or not just *anyone* can do it... well. She is doing it. Her work is being shared here, right now... and that's the point. She took lots and lots of photos, picked out the ones she liked, and showed them to the world. I'd say that's an accomplished artist.

I personally find her subject matter inspiring, which of course is a subjective opinion.

I was not claiming art has to be avant-garde to be good. In fact...I am often rather annoyed with artists just trying to come up with new things (a vial of blood is not art to me, nor is a dead cat displayed spiked to a wall). As you say, art does not have to be new or unique to be good art, it just has to stir emotions in the person watching it, that is all, be it of disgust or love doesn't really matter. Not all art is beautiful. Not all art should be.

What is wonderful about art is that technique does not always matter. A cut elbow here, or too dark a shade there...as long as it is loved by someone it is still art. Art is a subjective thing, after all. However, I will still maintain that to me cutting an elbow like that, without meaning to, without need, is a tell tale sign that here we have a woman passionate about what she does but really...yet to learn and yet to develop into something more which she may one day.

SurprisingWoman
August 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Odd. I guess I am a little more traditional. Different strokes...

birthmarkie
August 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I like her documentary photographs quite a bit, but the blunt nude portraits much less.

[ETA: I'm also not in love with the children posing pics; they seem exploitative and somewhat unnatural]

Alvrodul
August 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Lovely photos! Thank you for sharing!

Bluebell
August 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I wonder if some of the people on the photo's are happy with the result.
I see mainly the photographer who wants to express herself. Everyone looks so sad, eery or emotionless.
Would everybody enjoy looking at their own portrait?
I guess they are, or they wouldn't have allowed to have their photo published, but it was what I was wondering.

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I wonder if some of the people on the photo's are happy with the result.
I see mainly the photographer who wants to express herself. Everyone looks so sad, eery or emotionless.
Would everybody enjoy looking at their own portrait?
I guess they are, or they wouldn't have allowed to have their photo published, but it was what I was wondering.

I don't know what it was like for these models, but when I was in Greg Friedler's book, the final scenes in the documentary that accompanied the book were of our reactions upon seeing ourselves in the published result. The people they showed in the documentary (myself included) seemed pretty pleased.

I signed a release that gave my permission to have my image published not only in the book but in the documentary as well. I really didn't think the documentary was going to be as big as it was---and I had NO idea it would wind up on Showtime (but it's kind of interesting getting recognized by people around town). My payment for taking part in the project was two copies of the book.

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
What I like the most are colours. So vivid...

anniemae
August 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you for sharing. Lovely photos. :)