PDA

View Full Version : Latest Shiny-Pretty Red and Black Hair Shots!

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I just returned from a fantastic trip to Denver, CO with my HTB (aka: Hunky Techy Boyfriend). We saw the Warlock Pinchers (http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010/08/warlock_pinchers_at_the_gothic.php) reunion shows and I had two fantastic Good Hair Nights.

I've got a length shot and two shots of my hair all curled up and lookin' fancy. My HTB is the one who helps me to apply the black hair dye. Being a carpenter, he's very precise. THe red is done with L'Oreal HiColor Red (the kind used for highlights) and a Pravana Vivids cocktail of red, orange, and magenta.

P.S.
Notice the Little Seven Goddess Spirals and Nines......

http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/waistlength.jpg

http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/denverhair1.jpg

http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/denverhair2.jpg

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
So pretty! The red is a great contrast with your eyes.

Kome
August 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Your hair is gorgeous!!! I love the two toned colors. The black really stands out underneath. It looks so shiney and healthy too. Gorgeous! :)

Vampire
August 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Love that red :) it is such a hard color to keep, so i just go all black :p

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Thank you so much! It's a bit time-intensive to do this color combination but I get so many compliments that it's totally worth it.

I've started using DevaCare No Poo and One Condition.. The DevaCare really makes my hair soft and shiny (more so than the DevaCurl). I have to baby it a bit more than I did when I used henna, but again, that's okay.

lillylonghair
August 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Wowzers!!!!! Your hair is gorgeous!! I love the color and shine. Your bangs rock too.

JenniferNoel
August 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
This is officially my favorite hair color combination. Brilliant!

freckles
August 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
great photos and great hair! :D

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thank you so much! I just wanted to post to show that you can have color-treated hair and it doesn't have to be crispy-crunchy. I just make sure that when I re-touch, I only get color on my roots and I take extra steps to make sure I treat it with TLC. I've been doing the bright red for about a year now. The henna was just getting too dark. It went from being vivid red-orange to being burgundy and it just didn't look as good as it used to. Now, the red/black is like my signature.

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Here's another length shot. And yes, it really is that bright! ;)
Funny story: When we were at the Gothic Theater seeing the Warlock Pinchers, I walked by this lady who was wearing Little Seven Swans in what appeared to be a 6 or 8g. When she saw my Nines, we both got all excited!

http://www.thoughtspaces.com/ts/memberfiles/90/waistlength2.jpg

rhosyn_du
August 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Man, you're making me miss my own black-and-red hair days. Before I started growing, I kept my hair in a bob, and it was bright red with black tips.

The colors look really great on you, and I love the way the black peeps through your red waves in the back.

ghost
August 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Love your hair, and your Little Sevens :)

Speedbump
August 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
You are seriously rocking color like nobody's biz! :rockerdud I love it!

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM
You are seriously rocking color like nobody's biz! :rockerdud I love it!

Thanks, Speedy! :D If you happen to talk to SnowyMoon, tell her I miss her! Did you ever get to read The Ghost Garden?

GlassEyes
August 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I love your hair. D: I wish I could do something like that--it'd never look as good on my curly hair though. It's awesome.

LaurelSpring
August 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I love your hair. That is such a good look on you.

lillylonghair
August 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I've heard a lot about Pravana. Is the black also Pravana?

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've heard a lot about Pravana. Is the black also Pravana?

Nah. It's just regular ol' black hair dye (L'Oreal, to be specific). I have a boyfriend who is very precise with the hair dye brush. He helps me touch up my roots. :D

The Pravana Vivids are outstanding! They last for weeks and make my hair all silky and soft.

Quezie
August 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Looks soooo great!

Makes me miss my bright colours so much, sigh. ): Maybe I'll be able to get away with it after I get a job. :)

1953Diygal
August 10th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I've been a teacher now for 6 years so I'm proof positive that you can have a career and still express yourself. My hair color has become my trademark at school. The office staff tell me that parents often ask about "the teacher with the bright red hair." :D

(I actually waited until I'd been teaching for a couple of years before I started letting my "freak flag fly" again. Just sayin'.)

motormuffin
August 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM
How fun! I just can't keep up with color anymore but I really like it!
I have that Circusized Peanuts album somewhere...I should pull that out again...

2peasinapod
August 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I absolutely love it! You look a bit like a classic pin-up, but also very modern and cool! You and your hair are very pretty! :D

Heartwillfollow
August 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM
totally agree it's awesome :)

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I love your bangs, T-shirt and the way the two colours look together! :)

Jessica Trapp
August 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Very pretty!

Toadstool
August 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM
It looks really cool!
How did you manage the transition from henna to chemical dye?

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM
How fun! I just can't keep up with color anymore but I really like it!
I have that Circusized Peanuts album somewhere...I should pull that out again...

AWESOME!!! Circusized Peanuts is a great album! They actually threw circus peanuts (those marshmallowy banana candies) out at the audience. I have to say I wasn't much of a fan before the show but they had such energy. Now, I have much more appreciation for their recorded material.

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM
It looks really cool!
How did you manage the transition from henna to chemical dye?

Good question. I actually went to my hair stylist a little over a year ago. He did highlights and added the bright red. Since I couldn't afford $200 every few months, I kept it up at home by adding the bright red L'oreal HiColor to my roots (although I believe I did a whole-head application that first time). I did the Pravana Vivids every few weeks to keep it bright. You can find Pravana on Amazon and on Ebay. Gradually, the burgundy henna color lifted and the bright roots grew out.

I miss the ritual of ordering my henna, mixing it, and spending the day with it on my hair, but the color just didn't have that *pop* any longer. I kept seeing women with bright bright bright red and wanted that for myself.

TiaKitty
August 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM
You totally rock that look! You are lucky to have such a precise mate. I can't even imagine what I'd look like if I let mine do my color! LOL!!!

Looking at the length shots, I notice you have the front of your hair pulled back to the sides... what are you using to hold that. I can't quite see...

You are a cutie-pie! Enjoy that bright, bright red for all of us dreamers of hair color not accepted in the grown-up world...

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 10:01 AM
You totally rock that look! You are lucky to have such a precise mate. I can't even imagine what I'd look like if I let mine do my color! LOL!!!

Looking at the length shots, I notice you have the front of your hair pulled back to the sides... what are you using to hold that. I can't quite see...

You are a cutie-pie! Enjoy that bright, bright red for all of us dreamers of hair color not accepted in the grown-up world...

I twisted it just a little bit to do kind of a '40s "victory roll" look. I can't roll from the ends up because it's just too long, but if you twist it a few times, it looks almost the same. it's fastened with bobby pins and with a tiny little claw clip. Thank you for the compliments. I feel lucky to have supervisors who respect my creativity and understand that as long as I do my job well, a little haircolor is ok. :cool:

Toadstool
August 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Good question. I actually went to my hair stylist a little over a year ago. He did highlights and added the bright red. Since I couldn't afford $200 every few months, I kept it up at home by adding the bright red L'oreal HiColor to my roots (although I believe I did a whole-head application that first time). I did the Pravana Vivids every few weeks to keep it bright. You can find Pravana on Amazon and on Ebay. Gradually, the burgundy henna color lifted and the bright roots grew out.

I miss the ritual of ordering my henna, mixing it, and spending the day with it on my hair, but the color just didn't have that *pop* any longer. I kept seeing women with bright bright bright red and wanted that for myself.

Well, it looks great on you! You were lucky to find a stylist who didn't run away when you told them it was henna. Maybe that's why it cost $200!!

1953Diygal
August 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Well, it looks great on you! You were lucky to find a stylist who didn't run away when you told them it was henna. Maybe that's why it cost $200!!

Oh, I LOVE Roger! I've known him since he was 16. He's an Aveda trained stylist. One thing about the henna.....he was taught in beauty school that ALL henna contains metallic salts. Even now, I have to keep reminding him that the GOOD henna is metallic salt-free.