PDA

View Full Version : products: are they all the same?

x0h_bother
August 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I was reading this thread in the archives http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-98175.html and saw the post on Loreal products, and it got me thinking that maybe brands use their own formula and alter it only slightly for each product. For example, I went through the Suave site and their Professionals line had all similar ingredients, and then their naturals line had all the same ingredients too.
However, I used 2 very similar Aveeno products (nourish +revitalize, nourish + moisturize) and had VERY different results.
Revitalize
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Methylsulfate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Triticum Vulgare Gluten (Wheat), Triticum Vulgare Germ Oil (Wheat), Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Glycol Distearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cetrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Panthenol, Polyquaternium 7
My hair loves this one

Moisturize
Water , Dimethicone , Cyclopentasiloxane , Cetyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cyclohexasiloxane , Behentrimonium Chloride , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Stearyl Alcohol , Behenyl Alcohol , Triticum Vulgare Gluten (Wheat) , Triticum Vulgare Germ Oil (Wheat) , Avena Sativa Peptide (Oat) , Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil , Caprylyl Glycol , Phenoxyethanol , Glycol Distearate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Fragrance , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Amodimethicone , Cetrimonium Chloride , Panthenol , Polyquaternium-7
My hair hates this one.
I was shocked at how flipping around one ingredient made such a huge difference.
So my question is, which is true? Are brands all the same, or does it matter the nuances?

Francoise1606
August 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I think it depends on a lot of things. Your hairtype for instance. If you have fine hair, one particular ingredient might really weigh your hair down while the same product might be perfect for someone elses more coarse hair. I think ultimately it depends on what ingredients work for your hair and which ones do not.
I use pantene shampoo right now and I have two which are really similar in the list of ingredients, and when I use them I can't really tell the difference, even though they are supposed to do different things.
But who knows - that one extra or different ingredient might change the entire way your hair "reacts" to it:) I suppose the only way to find out is to try them out:)

teela1978
August 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
They're all pretty similar, but the order of things does change stuff. I can use just about any shampoo... I do need ALS or SLS in my shampoo or I get scalp pimples, but other than that I can't really tell much of a difference even between brands... so I use suave because its cheap :)

Conditioner on the other hand I can tell differences. How many cones are present, and which cones are in there. Cyclopentasiloxane as the first ingredient tends to weigh down my hair for example. Further down the list I don't mind it as much. The upping of 2 cones above traditional conditioning ingredients (cetaryl alcolhol) is probably why your hair dislikes the 2nd version listed above.

x0h_bother
August 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
The upping of 2 cones above traditional conditioning ingredients (cetaryl alcolhol) is probably why your hair dislikes the 2nd version listed above.
Wow, I never noticed that exactly, but it makes sense now. Thanks! :)

virgo75
August 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I agree that even if 99% of the ingredients are the same, if you throw in one different ingredient or change the order it can alter how it works drastically.

Couple of ex:
My hair loved the old Pantene which used generous amounts of the -xane cone. I don't know what else they put in it but my hair loved it. :cloud9: Then they changed the ingredients and used a bis-aminopropyl cone and my hair became wirey and coated. :shrug:

My hair also loved the original Garnier Length & Strength Conditioner which the 1st couple of ingredients were some sort of conditioning alcohol, fruit extract, something else, then I think amodimethicone. They've changed it since then and now the cone is further up and the fruit extract further down the list and my hair doesn't like it or stay as moisturized as it did with the first one. Another Garnier conditioner the Curl & Shine has glycerin in it which my hair hates. I think it has similar ingredients to some of their other conditioners that work for me, but as soon as they add glycerin my hair ends up dry and hard.

Also, my hair **hates** shea butter. I can use some of Garnier's conditioners but as soon as they throw shea butter in there(the Triple Nutrition) my hair was gummy and dry. :shrug:

Hope that helps. :flower:

Henrietta
August 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
It really matters. For example new Garnier's line, Natural Care- some of the conditioners have cones, other don't. One small ingredient, like, I don't know, fragrance, can make a difference. If takling about Garnier- Natural Care is quite natural. At least Polish versions. I have even coconut oil in mine one! And G. Fructis...-tons of sulphates and cones.

x0h_bother
August 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I guess trial by error will always be the plan! I'm glad we have some great people here at LHC to share experiences and encourage trying new products that might work :) Gush Gush :blossom: