PDA

View Full Version : Sporty longhairs :) tell your stories

LovingLife
August 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I thought we needed this :)
I play softball on a league and I'm always putting my hair in different styles, eg buns. fourstrand braids :)
They even got a special helmet to fit my hair :cheese:
there are many trails and tribulations but I love my sport,
and I think its silly all the sterotypes like you have to not be pretty to play sports or if you play a certain sport you aren't manly and i think this ties in with long hair as well :)
so tell your stories
!:D:D

Sundial
August 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think my post is as much a story as a question, but since you're pretty sporty I was wondering if you have an answer to my question?

I have an active lifestyle too and I go to the gym daily, so my routine consists of daily washing but I have heard that too much washing is harsh on the hair. How did you strike a balance??

Aleria
August 20th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not sporty, but due to lack of funds in the summer I bike a lot, rather than taking public transit.
One of the hardest things is what to do with my hair! It doesn't fit in a bun or ponytail under my helmet, so I'm usually reduced to double braids.

Centaur
August 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
As for stereotypes, it doesn't get much "manlier" than powerlifting. People unfamiliar with the sport stereotype it as being a sport for men and that the women who participate in the sport look "manly" and that men and woman who participate can't have long hair. :confused:

I used to powerlift and had hair around waist lenght at one point during my involvement in that phenomenal sport (second to horsebackriding only, in my opinion ;)). Another woman had beautiful, straight, dark hair down to her hips/tailbone. Her fiance attended most of our practices and spotted her and the rest of us when needed. How supportive a fellow is that! There were other ladies with BSL hair. And then we had a couple ladies who loved to have fun with different cuts and colors - like the platinum blond mohawk and the bright red hair. What a great group of people I had the fortune to be acquainted with while I was involved in the sport, not for their hair but for their genuiness, their work ethic and their caring supportiveness.:D