PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this is just a phase! Hair getting caught under armpit...

sedonia
August 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
My hair is approaching waist at the longest point in the V hemline, but the sides are at bra band level.

Just in the past couple of months, I have noticed that these shorter side bits are getting caught under my armpit, and then tugged subsequently if I move my head or upper body.

This is especially problematic when I dance. (and let me insert here that my major impetus for growing my hair out is because I'm a dancer and to me having hair that moves as an extension of the body is important).

When I dance the problem gets much worse because I get sweaty, and the locks of hair really get stuck under my armpit (sorry if this sounds gross), and of course then I'm always moving my arms, head and upper body so the hair is getting tugged signifiantly and I can even hear some snapping.

I'm hoping this is a length issue that will go away with a little more growth, and not an issue of having very fine hair that just sticks to sweaty skin. The other dancers in my company have longer hair than I do and have not ever had this problem.

We all generally wear our hair up in buns or in a ponytail for most of each rehearsal, but some practice with the hair down is important, especially in dances that have hair tosses or sweeps.

spidermom
August 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
It is a phase that your hair will grow out of. You might try securing the sides up and back during dances.

Juneii
August 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
my only suggestion is to keep it up as much as possible so your hair can grow past the BSL stage and is long enough not to get caught. Maybe keep a hair stick around so you can do your hair sweeps and put it up right away so it won't get caught anymore?

Khiwanean
August 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It won't be such a problem once the sides grow out. Perhaps do a half-up to keep the sides out of the way when you are dancing with the rest of it down. Added bonus: your sides won't break as much if you keep them out of the way with a half-up, so they'll grow out faster.

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I get this too, especially when I wear something without sleeves. Could you try doing a shortened ponytail? Flipped through, looped in the hairband, or a peacock twist - something like that. That way you'll still have movement, but less catching. :)

GoddesJourney
August 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Mine does that from about BSL to close to waist.

Schefflera
August 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
One tip I've seen (haven't tried it personally) for wearing hair mostly-down with minimal tangles was to take a bit from each side of your hair, bring them under the rest of your hair, and secure them (I forget how -- soft snagless hairband or a good small clip) at the nape of your neck.

I believe the blogger who posted it figured it out by watching an ice skater whose hair appeared to be down and strangely well behaved. *grin*

Anyway, that sounds like it might be useful for this problem, and maybe even afterward if you like the look and results.

bunnii
August 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
One tip I've seen (haven't tried it personally) for wearing hair mostly-down with minimal tangles was to take a bit from each side of your hair, bring them under the rest of your hair, and secure them (I forget how -- soft snagless hairband or a good small clip) at the nape of your neck.

I believe the blogger who posted it figured it out by watching an ice skater whose hair appeared to be down and strangely well behaved. *grin*

Anyway, that sounds like it might be useful for this problem, and maybe even afterward if you like the look and results.

OOOOOOOOO I have my hairstyle for tomorrow sorted! :D

My hair still attacks my pits, it's great when i've just put deodorant on, deodorant is like catnip to hair! I have found no way of preventing it if my hair is down.

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
My hair doesn't do that when it's down anymore (almost waist), but last night on the treadmill, the ends of my low pony kept getting stuck under my pits. Yucky. Next time I will be wearing a higher pony or bun.

I think you'll grow out of it.

JesusFreak88
August 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I still have problems sometimes, especially when it is up in a pony. My hair is about hip length. When I was in show choir one year and my hair was in a side pony and curled and it kept getting caught and I couldn't do anything because I was in the middle of dacing.

rhosyn_du
August 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Mine still gets caught if I leave it totally down, so I tend to put it in half-ups for dancing.

Speedbump
August 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
It's just a phase. I remember it well. The next phase will be getting stuck in your pants waistband. Then it will get stuck in your :lipssealed: .

:tmi::rolling:

Speedy

PS: The crease at the back of your knee is next after that, I think. ;)

Yozhik
August 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Thank you so much for this thread -- my hair just got to be BSL, and I've been noticing this too!
Now I'm definitely going to try the under-the-hair side-hair ponytail technique :)

HikerTrash
August 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Wait till it gets caught in your elbow!

LaurelSpring
August 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
In the past this was the point at which I would :scissors:

Once I found LHC and learned more about hair care I was able to get past this somehow without it bothering me like it use to. I guess its because I mostly keep my hair up now. It doesnt seem to do it anymore so I guess I kept it up long enough to get past that tricky growth phase.

sedonia
August 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It's just a phase. I remember it well. The next phase will be getting stuck in your pants waistband. Then it will get stuck in your :lipssealed: .

:tmi::rolling:

Speedy

PS: The crease at the back of your knee is next after that, I think. ;)

LOL! I don't envision taking it too much past waist. After it stops getting into my armpits but before it can get tangled in my costume belt.

Phexlyn
August 11th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Oh yes, I remember that phase :o Not too nice, but your hair will grow past it. I understand that as a professional dancer, this can be very annoying, especially as you start to sweat during the dance.

As you have fine hair, the phase might be a bit longer than for others with thicker hair because your hair is lighter and not as willing to settle down neatly. Having a relatively blunt hemline helps, I think, as well.

Oh and I second the suggestions for minimal half-ups where you only put the most annoying strands out of the way :)

Djinmonet
August 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Oh yes, it will stop that, well at least under the arm. Been there, done that many times in my life, hate that length...Feels like your going to snap your neck at times. :p

I second the half-up using those bits that catch, and very much second the under-up using those sections. Works really well, and the look is a good moving hair, that fully appears down.

Roseate
August 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
What really got to me last time I grew my hair was when this would happen at night, and I would wake up trapped by my own hair!

My sleep cap should save me from that this time around, I hope. That little cap is seriously one of the best things I've got from LHC.