PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioning for dry damage hair?

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I think this is the right place.....

So the 3" of my hair is a little dry, I know it's from damage- but I just can't part with it yet.

I have a rehearsal dinner on Friday and I wanted to do a half up style and I was thinking a nice deep conditioning would be great for my hair.

I wanted to know if anyone has found a product that has really soften up their hair and make my straight hair sleek and smooth, even if it's something I would keep doing when ever. I know the only way to get rid of the dry ends is cutting.

I don't use cones.... But if the product is that AMAZING, I would consider it.

I have heard some people swear by the Biolage conditioning cream, or the Sally's version of it.

Thanks!

lillylonghair
August 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Try an SMT!!
It's seriously worked wonders for my hair.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Try an SMT!!
It's seriously worked wonders for my hair.

I have something left over in my fridge that's like a SMT. I think it was only honey and conditioner though, it was okay on my hair... Maybe I really do need all stuff in it to really work...

cmnt831
August 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner plus shea butter/olive oil mixture worked wonders on my dried out hair and ends. It made the ends quit being like velcro without cutting. No 'cones involved. ;)

Khiwanean
August 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Coconut oil has really helped my hair stay sleek and smooth, but I'm sure other oils would work just as well. I don't even need that much.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner plus shea butter/olive oil mixture worked wonders on my dried out hair and ends. It made the ends quit being like velcro without cutting. No 'cones involved. ;)
What stores can you buy Giovanni in? I don't think I have olive oil if i did try it... thoughts on Organic canola oil?

Coconut oil has really helped my hair stay sleek and smooth, but I'm sure other oils would work just as well. I don't even need that much.

My hair isn't a big fan of coconut oil... at one point it was okay, but then my hair got crazy and my skin broke out like mad! I have a huge jar of it so I've been wearing it under my arms to use it up... It will be a lone time before I'm done! thanks for the idea though.

cmnt831
August 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
What stores can you buy Giovanni in? I don't think I have olive oil if i did try it... thoughts on Organic canola oil?

I've bought mine at Target, Vitamin Shoppe, TJMaxx and health food stores and I'm sure canola oil would be just fine. :)

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I've bought mine at Target, Vitamin Shoppe, TJMaxx and health food stores and I'm sure canola oil would be just fine. :)

Cool... I have a target and vitamin shoppe in town. I'll have to take a peek at them!

I'm planning on trying a couple of things too, just to see.

cmnt831
August 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cool... I have a target and vitamin shoppe in town. I'll have to take a peek at them!

I'm planning on trying a couple of things too, just to see.

If it matters, I've found the conditioner cheaper at the Vitamin Shoppe than at Target. But yours may be different.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
If it matters, I've found the conditioner cheaper at the Vitamin Shoppe than at Target. But yours may be different.

That helps because the vitamin shop is actually closer to me. Thanks!

curlsgalore
August 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I love the GVP Biolage/Matrix conditioning balm! I bet it would work great using it in the SMT treatment as well.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I love the GVP Biolage/Matrix conditioning balm! I bet it would work great using it in the SMT treatment as well.

That was my first though actually. But I wanted to see what others thought.

Jenn of Pence
August 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
In my two attempts at a modified SMT (coconut oil instead of honey) I used the Sally's version of the conditioning balm. It kinda stuck to my hair if I didn't wash it out thoroughly (either due to the coconut oil or the thickness of the conditioner, maybe both) but my hair really was nice after, and I get dry crunchy ends, too. I should really bite the bullet and try honey next time. ;) But yeah, SMT with conditioning balm is recommended.

Carolyn
August 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
My Walmart has Giovanni products now. I wasn't impressed with the Sally's version of Biolage CB. I love the real thing however. It makes an awesome SMT conditioner. You can also mix a couple of conditioners when you make up your SMT. I don't think oil is a substitute for the honey in SMT. I sometimes add a couple of drops of jojoba oil to my SMT mix but I don't substitute something else for the honey.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
In my two attempts at a modified SMT (coconut oil instead of honey) I used the Sally's version of the conditioning balm. It kinda stuck to my hair if I didn't wash it out thoroughly (either due to the coconut oil or the thickness of the conditioner, maybe both) but my hair really was nice after, and I get dry crunchy ends, too. I should really bite the bullet and try honey next time. ;) But yeah, SMT with conditioning balm is recommended.
I was reading that thread on the "teflon" i'm going to try some tonight.

My Walmart has Giovanni products now. I wasn't impressed with the Sally's version of Biolage CB. I love the real thing however. It makes an awesome SMT conditioner. You can also mix a couple of conditioners when you make up your SMT. I don't think oil is a substitute for the honey in SMT. I sometimes add a couple of drops of jojoba oil to my SMT mix but I don't substitute something else for the honey.

I really need to make a trip to walmart... So i'll take a look... I have some honey/conditioner in the fridge. I ate the rest of the unmixed honey when i bought it for my hair... to yummy.

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I second (or 3rd or 4th) the Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I used it for SMT once and it was AWESOME. I don't like GVP Conditioning Balm, but lots of others do so you could try that. Heavy overnight oilings with coconut and castor oil really softened my ends, but I see that you don't like coconut, so you could just do the castor. Or keep the coconut away from your face/skin. I also LOVE NB's Vegan Panacea Salve; it really keeps my ends moisturized after a wash. It may be too late to get that before Friday, though.

melrose1985
August 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I second (or 3rd or 4th) the Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I used it for SMT once and it was AWESOME. I don't like GVP Conditioning Balm, but lots of others do so you could try that. Heavy overnight oilings with coconut and castor oil really softened my ends, but I see that you don't like coconut, so you could just do the castor. Or keep the coconut away from your face/skin. I also LOVE NB's Vegan Panacea Salve; it really keeps my ends moisturized after a wash. It may be too late to get that before Friday, though.

I'm going to have to look at for the Giovanni, Walmart and Sallys are on the same road... I'll probably get both.

I have the Panacea, but the regular kind... I LOVE THIS STUFF. the smell it AMAZING. it makes my hair nice but not really on the dry ends, they feel the same after.

Prettyeyes23
August 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
What does SMT mean?

melrose1985
August 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
So last night I got the Sally's generic brand on the Biolage conditioning balm. I left it in over night and shampooed my bangs this morning and then put some more of that balm in before rinsing again. I didnt get the "teflon" feel like most people say over in the "teflon thread", So i'm a little bummed, but it does seem more weighed down. It still seems a little dry. I don't use cones now, but I have been using the Pancesa from NightBlooming, should I have wash my ends? I don't normally because they are on the dry side.

I'm going to try that Giovanni stuff. But can anyone else recommend something for smoothing my hair out, of course not using a flat iron?

What makes your hair silky and smooth?

I swear when I was younger I had poker straight silky hair... Now with all this damage no one would know that.

What does SMT mean?
I think, if I remember right, it's something like Snowy's Moisture treatment?

Help me out guys, I think I got that wrong.