PDA

View Full Version : Will trimming help my tangles??

longforhim
August 10th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I've been a little frustrated with my hair lately. It tangles so much it seems and I constantly have to detangle. I use a coney conditioner because I need the extra slip. My hair is very fine, and I'm guessing that is one reason why it tangles so easy. I'm considering trimming it just a little to see if that helps. I really don't want to trim (Im trying to hold off any trims until December), but it has been 6 months since my last trim.
I S&D and usually don't find too many splits. My ends however seem "grabby" lately and a bit dry. I'm also growing out layers and was wondering if it would help to have them trimmed about 0.25 inch to keep the ends nice why they grow. I would get 0.5 inch cut off the very bottom though so the rest can slowly catch up. I will not get more than 0.5 inch cut off though. I've worked to hard to get to this point.
So what do you all think? Should I get a small trim? Do you think it might help with the tangles? Any other suggestions???

Gamma Vector
August 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM
If the ends are getting "grabby," then yeah, I'd say it's time for a slight trim. I've got fairly coarse hair myself, though, so I might not be the best person to ask.

HairColoredHair
August 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
First: Clarify!

Sometimes 'grabby' ends are just build up! Clarify them well and follow with a moisturizing treatment (perhaps SMT?).

Then re-evaluate if you still need the trim. :)

spidermom
August 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
If you haven't already, try clarifying first. I use full-strength shampoo for this (usually I dilute it), suds massaged all the way down the length. Sometimes you just need to get the stuff off - oils, cones, whatever - because it's the stuff that's all dried out and grabby, not your hair. Then follow with a moisture treatment.

If that doesn't help, a small trim may be in order.

chrissy-b
August 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I usually clarify first to see if that will help (and it usually does). If it doesn't a small trim will definitely help. Even less than half an inch can help.

ETA: You guys beat me to it! Yeah, what they said. :)

Carolyn
August 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Agreeing with the others who said clarify first. I always use a commercial clarifying shampoo full strength and shampoo my scalp well and pay attention that the shampoo gets down the entire length. Clarifying strips all the stuff off your hair so you need to get the moisture back in to it. So use a nice heavy moisturizing conditioner after your wash. I often do a SMT with something like Terax Crema or Aveda Damage Remedy to put the moisture back in. If that doesn't take care of the problem, your next step would be a small trim. You would be surprise at how a tiny trim can perk up your ends and make them smooth and tangle free.

longforhim
August 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
That is something I did forget to mention. I do clarify using the vo5 key lime clarifying shampoo. I do it at least once a month, sometimes more. It does seem to help some, but only for a few days and them my hair seems to get back were it was.

Deborah
August 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Sounds like you need a trim. Don't be fearful. It will grow back before you know it, and you will be happier with your hair in the meantime. :)

x0h_bother
August 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have layers and cut exactly what you are suggesting and it worked well for my tangles. GL!

GoddesJourney
August 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM
First: Clarify!

Sometimes 'grabby' ends are just build up! Clarify them well and follow with a moisturizing treatment (perhaps SMT?).

Then re-evaluate if you still need the trim. :)

What she said. I typically do trim, but I do get disappointed when my hair isn't longer faster.

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
If you clarify, moisturize, and find that yours ends are still grabby, I agree that you should probably trim. That said, I've had this experience before and just dusted my ends myself (I'm talking like barely visible bits of hair) and it felt MUCH better. It's not that scary, either. Just use sharp hair scissors.

August 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I also think trimming is the best alternative.. I need some myself but don't want my hair to be shorter :( Would like to try out dusting also, but then I think I need to invest in better scissors

HintOfMint
August 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
One more thing to add...

Clarify and then condition with... a protein-free conditioner. Sometimes a protein overload can lead to grabby ends and loads of tangles.

longforhim
August 11th, 2010, 12:42 AM
One more thing to add...

Clarify and then condition with... a protein-free conditioner. Sometimes a protein overload can lead to grabby ends and loads of tangles.

This may sound dumb, but how will I know if they do have protiens in it. I try to avoid words like "silk proteins" etc, but are there other terms for protiens in conditioners. Does anyone know of any protein free conditioners right off hand??

julliams
August 11th, 2010, 05:06 AM
My daughter's hair used to be very fine when she was younger and once it got to a certain length it would tangle like crazy. I would cut it to her chin (extreme, I know but she was 3) and I would never have to brush it - pretty much ever! That works great when you are 3.

I guess you could try trimming and see if that helps but perhaps it's a length thing.

longforhim
August 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thank you for all the replies! I think what I'm going to do is give myself a thorough S&D session and then clarify followed by a deep conditioning. I just can't trim yet! I cant bring myself to do it! So I'm just going to try to be proactive in preventing the tangles by oiling and wearing my hair up more. Thanks everyone!!

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you for all the replies! I think what I'm going to do is give myself a thorough S&D session and then clarify followed by a deep conditioning. I just can't trim yet! I cant bring myself to do it! So I'm just going to try to be proactive in preventing the tangles by oiling and wearing my hair up more. Thanks everyone!!

I agree. You can always trim. But before that you can try many other things. I know what you feel because I had this problem too. My dry ends used to tangle like a hell, they were like a velcro because of dryness. But oiling helped. And simple condish, kept on the whole length foe 30+ minutes after every washing. S&D is our friend:D Also, BBB smooths the ends out, which makes a huge difference.

FrannyG
August 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I agree that the first step is to clarify and the second step is to deep condition with moisture. That may well solve your tangly end problem.

However, watching my own hair and others here with similar hairtypes, I do think that with 1a/F/M/ii hair, going much longer than 6 months without a tiny trim can lead to having ends that you might not be happy with in the long run.

I seriously suggest that you consider getting a tiny trim at least twice a year. If you only trim 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch each time, it really won't impact your growth much, but it will make a difference in how your hemline looks years down the line.

With straight hair, the ends are more obvious than with any other hair type. On the other hand, that's just my 2 cents. :)