PDA

View Full Version : Cute hair stick style

cindy58
May 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Check out the third style (Side Rolls with Two Knots) on this page:

http://www.kjcraftworks.com/Hairsticks/styles2.shtml#PART-TWIST

I thought it was really a cute style. I found it after someone mentioned that a pair of squirrel sticks resembled those from KJ Craftworks. I wanted to see what else they might have and found the style page.

I just tried it out on myself though I don't have four matching sticks. (Almost all of mine are singles.) I have to learn to make two knots so they visually match. I also found that while I could do the side rolls OK, my inclination is to then roll one of the twists in the opposite direction, which undoes the roll. Kind of hard to teach me new tricks sometimes.

Poolsoflaughter
May 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hey, that's a really cute style. I think Morticia's avatar looks like that..

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I just imagined all the things I could get caught on that. Not that I don't with just one stick ...

Nynaeve
May 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I just imagined all the things I could get caught on that. Not that I don't with just one stick ...

Hah.

I have a hard enough time *tying* to do a real FT, I don't think I could manage a partial. :(

AprilElf
May 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM
That is cute! Thanks for the link. :)

KajiKodomo
May 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I'm the one with the squirrel hairsticks, which actually are KJ Craftworks sticks. The style they did on me is the side twist with a knot. Whenever I try to make two buns myself I always end up with one bigger than the other, even if I part my hair right (I must have more hair on one side than the other, or it's harder for me to bun on one side?).

It is really cute though, but you'd need shorter hairsticks than I own, I think. Haha! I'm always knocking my hairsticks on stuff when I wear only two in a single bun, I can only imagine the pain and "knockage" from wearing 4 :rolleyes: .

I may have to try it anyway, even though I don't have 4 hairsticks that would work. Maybe I could do it with pins and wear it that way? Hmmmm...

cindy58
May 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'm the one with the squirrel hairsticks, which actually are KJ Craftworks sticks. The style they did on me is the side twist with a knot.

Your sticks are darling and I liked the style they did on you too.

I think to do it with 4 sticks the sticks would have to be shorties. Then I started wondering if I could work a single longer stick through two twists. I made the first twist and placed a stick through it, then did the second and tried to snake the same stick through. You don't even WANT to see what I ended up with! It was pretty comical.

vidgrl007
May 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
oh,they were soo cute.im trying to refrain from buying any hair sticks until my hair is apl length.it feeles like im never going to get there :rolleyes:i did save the website.txs:)

loves2spin
May 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM
oh,they were soo cute.im trying to refrain from buying any hair sticks until my hair is apl length.it feeles like im never going to get there :rolleyes:i did save the website.txs:)

In the "old" forum, one of our members told about taking double-pointed knitting needles and bending them into a U to use as a hair fork. I made one, and it's my favorite stay-at-home quick updo item. I think If I were to buy some in a pretty color, smaller diameter than I have, I could make 2 of them and do this style, and there would be less chance of the dreaded "knockage" :) and also it would be cheap! :joy:

darkwaves
May 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
You could just use one pair of sticks for that cute side roll with knots. One stick per knot -- and anchor the rest of the weight/knot with other tools... hair screws would be my choice!

Now to get the knots balanced...

Saranne772
May 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
So cute :D But I dont have short enough hair sticks- all mine are 7 inches (excluding the pattern section) so too long for that style.

And dont I just know the pain of wacking my head with them. Sitting in the car is a nightmare. haha. And people who think it is funny to pull them out!:run::draw::whip::tmi: (can you tell it ANNOYS me!)

florenonite
May 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
So cute :D But I dont have short enough hair sticks- all mine are 7 inches (excluding the pattern section) so too long for that style.

And dont I just know the pain of wacking my head with them. Sitting in the car is a nightmare. haha. And people who think it is funny to pull them out!:run::draw::whip::tmi: (can you tell it ANNOYS me!)

Oh, I've had problems with people wanting to take mine out, too (teenage boys can be alarmingly immature), although I've got a short (5") Greydog which they don't take out as you can't see much of it with my bun, besides which it's twirly and therefore harder to move.

julya
May 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I like the look of it, but I would have a hard time getting them to look symmetrical.