PDA

View Full Version : Naming your Mane?

lillithnight
August 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Have you ever thought about nameing your hair? Do you think its a little overbaord, or do you feel it helps you refer to your hair better? I've got a new hair, skin, and health blog. One of my first projects is to name my mane. I would love it if all you lovely people told me your opinions on nameing you hair, and voted on my hairs name.

If you have named you hair, what is it?

http://thelionsmaneofhair.blogspot.com/

Ravenwaves 88
August 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I like this idea......I'm a little crazy myself!! I will have to think about this one. Well......the first thing that comes to mind is Duchess Ravenwaves.....since my user name was named after the Villain in the Lady Lovely Locks cartoon. I'll keep thinking.

I think one thing that would help me make an opinion about your hair is to know more about it's characteristics.

VanillaTresses
August 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hee hee-- I name my car, so why not?

I didn't have a name, but when I read this thread, I immediately thought, "Gloria." So I guess my hair's name is going to be Gloria! :lol:

ETA: For your hair's name, I vote for "Maeve."

Twil
August 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I call it 'the corkscrews' because I have really curly hair. So I can use phrases like 'I'm oiling the screws tonight' or 'popping the corks' if I'm trying to get volume. :p

LittleOrca
August 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I never thought of naming my hair. How crazy would that be if someone pet your hair without your permission and you responded by screaming, grabbing your hair, then crying "How dare you molest Bippy!"

If I gave my hair a name... hmm... I don't know. On youtube it's just referred to as "The Mermaid's Hair."

VanillaTresses
August 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hee, well, LittleOrca, I bet they'd sure back off awful quick! :lol:

ghost
August 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I've thought of it once or twice, but never actually done so.
I guess if I were going to nickname my hair, it would be Guenevere. My mom gave me that nickname when I was 14, because of my long, swimmer-blonde hair.

Speckla
August 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Fluffy.

Before LHC - Bob.

Venefica
August 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I will go with Shadow as I try to get it as dark and black as possible.

Slug Yoga
August 10th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Fluffy.

Before LHC - Bob.

Ouch! :D

I like the idea of hair-naming, I'll have to think something up.

freckles
August 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I've never thought of this, but my car has a name, all my computers have names, and my toy dinosaurs have names -- some of them. So I don't think it's too weird. :shrug:

Of the names you listed on your blog, Lilith is my favourite.

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I really like this. I think it would finally confirm for my family that I am completely insane (at least in hair-related matters). Unfortunately, I have no ideas. We should help one another name our manes! If anyone wants to help me, there are pictures in my album. My hair is generally well-behaved.

I'm tempted to call it The Boss (despite the fact that that name technically has been taken). Too bad it's so docile.

sibiryachka
August 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm another incorrigible namer of inanimate objects, so naming the hair doesn't seem that far-fetched to me. Of course most people consider me, ahem, eccentric anyway - I don't think that would make much difference. Mine is nothing fancy or imaginitive, I just call it "Miss Hair".
I'd love to help you pick a name for yours - they're all lovely names - but with no visual input, it's impossible for me to judge which is actually the best fit.

Dekublatt
August 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I really like this. I think it would finally confirm for my family that I am completely insane (at least in hair-related matters).
:laugh:

Yes my family would also think that I'm completely insane if I'm start talking with my hair and give it a name :crazyq:

Although I like the idea and will look If i find a matching name which will suit's my hair :cloud9:

From the blog I like the name "nyx"most. Sounds beautiful.

RedStripe
August 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Love this idea. I give names to all kinds of things -- years ago when I was really nuts in this way, I even gave names to all my houseplants! Never thought of naming my hair, though.

I'll think about it and get back here when I come up with something good.

Pixna
August 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I think this is a terrific idea! I name everything -- cars, plants, even my tea kettle. However, be so close to my hair makes it difficult to think of an appropriate name. I need more suggestions!!! :D

Henrietta
August 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Great idea. I will think about a name for my strands...;)
I voted for "Maeve" on your blog:)

Ravenwaves 88
August 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I really like this. I think it would finally confirm for my family that I am completely insane (at least in hair-related matters). Unfortunately, I have no ideas. We should help one another name our manes!

What a great idea. It's kinda like the Knight naming thread but instead of Knightly names......we ask ppl to help us name our hair! Maybe the OP could help since it was her idea to begin with!

PiroskaCicu
August 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
My DBF calls it Floofy, or poofy, fluffy, puffy...because it gets very fluffy on the day when I wash it. :D

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
What a great idea. It's kinda like the Knight naming thread but instead of Knightly names......we ask ppl to help us name our hair! Maybe the OP could help since it was her idea to begin with!

Yes! Great idea! I wonder if there are things we could say about our hair/ourselves that would help people think of names...

Pixna
August 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Well, *I* like that idea, but lillithnight might not -- it might be more than she intended when she started this thread. :) Perhaps we could ALL chip in and help each other with name suggestions if we provide an overview of our hair's "personality"?

tinti
August 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Nice! I have a name for my pc, my iPod, my toybears, and I had a name for my phone but forgot it.
I vote for Lillith on your blog, but I have to think up something good for myself :)

Ravenwaves 88
August 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Perhaps our hair description can be in our siggy's or under Hair Routine in our profiles? Then comments can be left on your profile for name suggestions.....or on a thread if it's in our siggy's. Just something that popped into my head.....not well thought out though. :(

Jenna0728
August 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Well......the first thing that comes to mind is Duchess Ravenwaves.....since my user name was named after the Villain in the Lady Lovely Locks cartoon.

Lol, I loved that cartoon and I now realize why your name sounded so familiar when I'd read it... :)

To the OP - I think Lilith suits your hair just fine, it's a lovely name for such lovely hair!

As for my own, I'll have to think on it and got back to you all...

Coriander
August 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I love the name "Maeve".

I usually call my hair "Son of a b****" or "Darn you" (when I have detangling issues). Other days I call it "Beautiful" and "oooo la la".

I name everything, too. This is a great idea. :D

Jessica Trapp
August 11th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I refer to mine as "the mop."

baaaad_kitty
August 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM
interesting. i do like the name Sasha.

Svenja
August 11th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Interesting idea...
If i was to name my hair it would be HUGH. Insane? Yes! It's just a pun, I think, because I usually talk to my hair saying things like "I really don't like You/Hugh" or "Shall we get you/Hugh pampered today?" :cheese:

Blond Unicorn
August 11th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't name my mane as there are sooo many differents hair strings in it.
I had one (of my first) white hair i called "Venice's Hair" as I have seen it the first time the day Venice (she was a horse) died. But now I can't find it anymore within all his friends :poot:

Barniie
August 11th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Ok when I read the 'Gloria' post I immediately thought 'Phoebe!!'

So I guess it's Phoebe!

trillcat
August 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM
LOL! I tend to swear at my hair, so any name I give it may not be suitable for children. :p
I am reminded of the comedy routine from Bill Cosby "Himself" ...
"It was because of my father that from the ages of seven to fifteen, I thought that my name was Jesus Christ and my brother, Russell, thought that his name was Dammit. "Dammit, will you stop all that noise?" And, "Jesus Christ, sit down!" One day, I'm out playing in the rain, and my father yelled, "Dammit will you get back in here!" I said, "Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"
Sorry for being blasphemous, but that is funny.
I am also reminded of a quote form SpongeBob, yes, I am a woman of many moods, lol.
"Because of her mysterious behavior, I have decided to name her Mystery. Hmmm, now that I think of it, she is very graceful and majestic. Perhaps I should name her Grace, or Majesty, or Debbie."

naereid
August 11th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Honestly, I think it's a little overboard. :o It's a part of me, I feel like giving it a separate name would make it seem like I'm distancing myself from it.

brunette
August 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Wow I remember this topic coming up in 2005 on the old boards
(link to archived thread:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24803

I posted:

I would call her Mithril after the elven metal - to give her aspirations of strength (much needed!) and to show that it's alright to be silver in colour

;)

Heidi_234
August 11th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I tend to refer to it as 'the cat' - my hair like to be washed just like a cat. :p Taking a shower became 'washing the cat' for me. :laugh:

kabelaced
August 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
How crazy would that be if someone pet your hair without your permission and you responded by screaming, grabbing your hair, then crying "How dare you molest Bippy!"

Best. Name. EVER. xD

I named my car, but I'm not sure if I would name my hair. When it was really long, my mom would call it "the gold" :o ...so creative!

nicolezoie
August 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Well........... considering that my hair has taken on character and a personality all of its own, it's taken on Proper noun status of "The Hair" but I've never actually gone so far as to actually give it its own name. I've nicknamed it several things over the years, but that's not the same thing :)

Das Siechtum
August 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I secretly call me hair "ladycatcher". ;-)

Pixna
August 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I secretly call me hair "ladycatcher". ;-)

Good one!!! :laugh:

ravenreed
August 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Untamed...

Qwackie
August 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I call my hair Billy Bob Joe, as of this moment. :D
... Or maybe I should name every strand, lol.

Buddaphlyy
August 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but Mz. Afro Thunder (she's in the avatar) says hello.

Jenw777
August 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Someone needs to name mine. GahIhateyou gets a little hard to say when I'm throwing crap because myhair won't do what I want it to.