PDA

View Full Version : Can oil and sebum build up on hair?

CailinNua
August 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hi,

My hair has been looking a little dull and lank recently. It's the virgin roots as well as the dye-damaged ends. I don't use cones any more but I have been leaving my hair a bit on the greasy side as I try to extend the time between washes. Also, I use natural oils from time to time, mainly coconut - just lately I'm not sure if it is sinking in as much as it used to. I use Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner(blue green algae and occasionally honeysuckle rose) or BS/WV occasionally.

Kathie
August 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I dont know about oil and sebum :confused:
But, even cone free conditioners can build up on hair. Have you tried a clarifying wash just to see if it makes a difference?

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Sebum, etc, tends to build up in the scalp as I understand it. If you're starting to extend time between washes, I imagine you would probably experience a bit of greasiness as your body starts to adjust.

CailinNua
August 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I dont know about oil and sebum :confused:
But, even cone free conditioners can build up on hair. Have you tried a clarifying wash just to see if it makes a difference?
No I haven't - unless the baking soda counts? I'm thinking of getting a Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo and that looks like it might clarify. Or would I need something stronger I wonder?

CailinNua
August 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Sebum, etc, tends to build up in the scalp as I understand it. If you're starting to extend time between washes, I imagine you would probably experience a bit of greasiness as your body starts to adjust.
The scalp doesn't seem too bad. I have gone from washing every day to twice a week and that was ok till about 2 weeks ago when I started feeling a bit like a greaseball! :o It's as though the conditioner and oils I use to treat the damaged hair are not penetrating, just sitting on the hair.

CailinNua
August 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
How rude of me - I forgot to thank you both for replying!

rosyaddie
August 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
TTTT is good- but not great for clarifying. I would try Golden Wheat (also by Giovanni)- or my clarifying routine:
I take Herbal Essences Degunkify shampoo and mix it with TTTT- you want to have a palmful of each. I apply it unlathered to my scalp and lather it through my whole head. I then rinse with hot water, pour a acidic (I use a lemon juice rinse) rinse through my hair and rinse with cold water.
LOL, look at my routine! It's pretty hefty! But it feels so clean and tingly. :P

CailinNua
August 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
TTTT is good- but not great for clarifying. I would try Golden Wheat (also by Giovanni)- or my clarifying routine:
I take Herbal Essences Degunkify shampoo and mix it with TTTT- you want to have a palmful of each. I apply it unlathered to my scalp and lather it through my whole head. I then rinse with hot water, pour a acidic (I use a lemon juice rinse) rinse through my hair and rinse with cold water.
LOL, look at my routine! It's pretty hefty! But it feels so clean and tingly. :P
Thanks for sharing your tips, clean and tingly sounds lovely! It's a long time since I had that feeling. I was actually just looking at the Golden Wheat online and it sounds lovely - I think I will get both. I'm not keen on HE. Palmfuls you say! I will feel very extravagant as I've been using so little shampoo diluting it down. But I think I do need a thorough wash ... *goes off fantasising about a clean and tingly scalp*