PDA

View Full Version : Eyelash vs. Hair growth

BrightEyes7
August 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I have received quite a few comments that my eyelashes are very long...

So it got me wondering, for those of you who have long hair and it seemed to grow fast, do you also have long eyelashes?

What is your hair growth rate and the length of your lashes?

Kathie
August 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have long eyelashes too... I can get marks just under my eyebrow when they are curled and I'm wearing mascara. My growth rate is just a little bit above average 0.6inches. But I also grow long arm hairs- about an inch (thank goodness they are blond but I usually get rid of them:scared:). But I have also wondered if there is a relationship between hair growth on head and eyelashes arms etc... I was wondering if this means our terminal length for our hair would be quite long because it is for our lashes etc?

BrightEyes7
August 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
That was my thought too...

I have really long lashes, my hair grows pretty fast and I have pretty much no taper. My arm hair also can grow quite long but it is blonde. Also my eyebrow hairs grow long...

I makes me think that I have "long hair" genes...

ifyouforget
August 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hmm...yep, long lashes- hit my sunglasses constantly. And I have very long arm/leg hair. Long *black* arm/leg hair, on see-through pale skin. Oh you lucky blonds :P
My head hair grows at pretty normal speed I guess, but I have had it down to my hips with no taper whatsoever, so I think I have 'long hair' genes too!

cmnt831
August 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hmm...yep, long lashes- hit my sunglasses constantly. And I have very long arm/leg hair. Long *black* arm/leg hair, on see-through pale skin. Oh you lucky blonds :P
My head hair grows at pretty normal speed I guess, but I have had it down to my hips with no taper whatsoever, so I think I have 'long hair' genes too!

Oh dear, I have this too - lol! :p And same, I've had my hair down to my hips with no taper.

Juneii
August 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Envious! I have short eyelashes, thin eyebrows, and barely any leg hair or arm hair! No joke, I haven't shaved my legs in weeks and you still can't see/tell even though the hairs are dark.
However, my hair is on the thicker side of ii and grows fairly fast. Before summer I was at waist and now my hair is inching towards tailbone.
If only my eyebrows and eyelashes were longer :( I really envy those with pretty long lashes and full eyebrows..

Henrietta
August 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
That gives me hope I will be able to grow my hair long, as I have long lashes:) So far I cannot tell you if there is any connection between hair and eyelashes in my case because I am only at BSL.

FrannyG
August 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
My hair grows at an above average rate, about 3/4 inches per month on average, but I have short lashes and they seem to be getting shorter with age.

My hair's growth rate is not slowing down with age though.

squiggyflop
August 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
this is what my eyelashes look like.. when i wear mascara.. my natural lashes are sort of light auburn reddish/golden brown so they arent really visible on camera without some kind of mascara.. i dont know if they are considered long or not..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/doubleextend.jpg
i do get pretty good hair growth most months though..

ETA: the mascara doesnt actually make them longer even though it claims to.. it just makes the ends thicker and therefore more visible

SandyStar
August 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I have really short eyelashes but my hair grows pretty fast. I went from armpit length to waist length in 9 months.

My leg hairs are really long though, they probably grow to 1.5 cm.

Henrietta
August 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I have really short eyelashes but my hair grows pretty fast. I went from armpit length to waist length in 9 months.

My leg hairs are really long though, they probably grow to 1.5 cm.

From APL to waist in 9 months?! This is incredible!:) I wish my hair grew so fast:)

And it looks like there is no rule about the hair on our heads and eyelashes...

Fethenwen
August 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
this is what my eyelashes look like.. when i wear mascara.. my natural lashes are sort of light auburn reddish/golden brown so they arent really visible on camera without some kind of mascara.. i dont know if they are considered long or not..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/doubleextend.jpg
i do get pretty good hair growth most months though..

ETA: the mascara doesnt actually make them longer even though it claims to.. it just makes the ends thicker and therefore more visible
That I would call super long lashes :)
-------

I have very short eye lashes, but my hair grows quite fast. I think a little above average.

Barniie
August 10th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hair growth: aboutish .7" a month
eyelashes (and not to mention arm, leg and any other hair you can think of) - rather long. (arms about... 1 - 1.5 cm

Barniie
August 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
does this seem weird to anyone else?

Flossy
August 10th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I have long eyelashes, and eyebrows. My arm hairs are pretty normal, blonde so they are barely visible.

They run in my family. My mum has them, 2 of my 3 boys have them. #3 missed out, but they seem to be growing in. He's a bit hair deficient all over! My second has glorious lashes, they are long and dark and curled (and he is blue eyed and fair). I would kill for them.

christine1989
August 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Interesting comparison! Now that you mention it, my hair growth rate is 1 inch per month and my eyelashes are quite long and thick....I wonder if there is a real connection.

Marjolein
August 10th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Well, if there's a connection, then I'm the exception. My scalp hair only grows 0.5 cms a month, but my eyelashes are so long that I have to curl them when wearing glasses. Also my body hair is ridiculously abundant and long, and it grows super quickly. As in, having to shave my legs every single day in order to be presentable (well, or just wearing pants most of the time - sssh).

Phexlyn
August 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think my lashes are shortish average, however they look really short because they're fine and light in colour.

My hair is fine as well, and the growth rate is around 0.6 inches. And I have some very long (> 1 inch) underarm hair... I'm lucky it's blonde :rolleyes:

Joliebaby
August 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Exception here too if that were the norm. My hair is thick and grows a bit faster than average, my leg, arm and armpit hair is abundant and grows fast and long (though luckily arm hair is white blonde) BUT my lashes have always been SHORT! Eyebrows are not very thick either.
(My DD however has long, dark and curled lashes, must come from her dad...)

Katurday
August 10th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have long lashes. but they don't look particularly spectacular cause they fade in color at the tips. When I wear mascara, people are usually impressed with them. My arm hair is under 1 cm and blonde. My hair grows fast and is thick.

bumblebums
August 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Frankly, I don't see why there should be a connection... Hair on your arms, etc. is known as vellus hair, and its growth is controlled by different principles than head and eyelash hair. Head and eyelash hair also work on very different clocks; they develop at different times in the fetus. Adult men with male pattern baldness can lose most of their head hair, but their eyelashes are unaffected.

PrincessFurball
August 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have long hair that grows pretty quickly, but my eyelashes aren't long. They're not super short, but they're definitely not long. I wish they were!

Kristin
August 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think my lashes are pretty average; no one has ever told me differently. I am pretty hairy in general, though. My uncle always says I looked like a little monkey when I was born. ;) My hair grows average or maybe a bit slower than average in my opinion, but other people think it grows quickly. It is pretty thick.

August 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have kind of short and few eyelashes but long, thick and fast growing hair

BrightEyes7
August 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My hair grows at an above average rate, about 3/4 inches per month on average, but I have short lashes and they seem to be getting shorter with age.

My hair's growth rate is not slowing down with age though.

My mom said the same thing happened to her. She had average lashes but she is balding with age(around her eyes at least)

I would say that they are pretty long. I have blonde eyelashes... if I don't wear mascara it looks like I don't have any.

I find this interesting. That some people it is the same and others it seems there is no connection....

Qwackie
August 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM

This exactly. :p
My eyelashes are pretty short, but my leg and arm hair's thick and long.

renarok
August 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
There are so many things about getting old that suck.:mad:
I used to have such thick and long eyelashes I had to trim them to wear eye glasses. So did my sister and hers were black, so they were much more dramatic. Now that I am old my lashes are half what they were. My scalp hair grows an average of 1/2" a month. Some months I have growth spurts, but the yearly average is about 7 inches a year. I've always had thick hair though.